• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Luipadre

Omg. I just finished all saga missions that I could and finally switched to wake for first time since that was an option….
Now that mission is incredible and probably by coincidence perfectly follows up after that saga mission.

Good job remedy. The game went to 11. What is going on lol. This shits on that one mission in control

haha "we sing" right? Top 3 gaming moment of all time for me

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I watched the ending on YouTube the other day....

my first impression was "that's it!?" I saw a lot of other people in the comments complaining ending looks boring and just another cliffhanger. I was hoping it would be some strange environments that eventually show up but the entire game is basically just the city in the Dark World and the real world. I was very unimpressed with the end from what I saw at least. I'm curious about reading people's thoughts here about the ending.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

andrew scott crying GIF

Last edited:

Alex11

Its a masterpiece, Remedys magnum opus imo
Really, that good? Was a fan of the first one, really loved the quiet sections between the more action ones and that ride with the car in the mountains, without heavy spoilers, does this sequel have moments like these? I mean, not literally, but different, unexpected, so to say.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Fight a 7ft monster wearing a deer mask that requires you to use a flashlight to reveal its weakness so you can actually kill it...

Saga after the fight "that was so weird and exciting".

Dr.Morris79

And the significance of Ahti, and understanding how objects of power work.

I don’t think this game is as good as it is without playing Control. It elevates it to be so much more.
I thought I'd finish up my playthrough of Control and realised the only thing left to do in my game was play the Bright falls A.W.E...

I must have moved on just before. Bit of a nice surprise really. I'll finish through that then straight onto Wake 2.

I'd personally rate Control in the same greatness as the original Max Payne. Utterly brilliant games. I didn't want Control to end when I first played it, this is what gaming should be!

Pure creative brilliance.

MCplayer

Jokes aside, the audio is supreme. Walking around that mansion and wellness center 1wm here, lights off and pulse3d with 3d on…. My god. You can hear every direction of every board creaking. The wind picking up, rain, creepy voices.
I found myself naturally slow walking it’s so atmospheric.

But I hate hate hate the loud jump scare screens. Fuck off, I am playing on headphones
hahahah same, I love the jumpscare screens, is it only my game that the voices are low bitrate? the audio quality of the voices are pretty low

MCplayer

18 hours in. Just finished:
How far in I am? I've heard the game is 18 hours lol and here I am.
Don't spoil me on length. Just say if I am mid or far into the game

After the game told me I can visit the puddle to switch realities, I never did so and kept playing as SAGA.
I just came back from wellness center(finished whole area) and are about to enter sheriff station.
Should I switch to Alan before doing so ?

Also, what mode you guys are playing on ps5? quality mode seems to have bugged, jagged shadows (see df thread for examples) and 30fps is really really spotty. Often drops in saga areas. I do still play in 30 though
I mainly play in quality, I switch to perfomrance when the fastest enemies come in or when theres at least 3 or more enemies, rest I play all in quality

MCplayer

Credits!

Strong ending, actually gets even better and really creepy during the final few chapters. NIghtless Night was peak crazy, Sam Lake steals the show actually acting, comes across as more convincing than the lead who plays Alan imo.

I was surprised how deep it ties in with Control, way beyond an easter egg.

I cleared 98% of the game without any guides just to learn a bugged-out collectible killed my platinum. Sours me on the whole thing a bit but not enough to score it below an 8/10 and call it a huge win for Remedy.
so nightless night is very near the ending? damn I gotta switch to Saga then

Luipadre

Imagine what they will do with control 2. AW2 is PEAK remedy, its their best work no doubt. I played control twice but i think im gonna replay it again in december and coming back to this game for DLCs and new game+ next year. Still not done, i think i still have a decent amount left, i just dont want this to end :goog_crying:

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Can someone explain me about the FMV in this game? In my mind that screams trashy and low budget and a period of time id rather not revisit in gaming. Judging by the reviews it isnt a problem though, so someone fill me in.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My main PC is a 4090/7800X3D so of course the game runs great.

However, I fired up the game on my 11700/3060 laptop and much to my surprise everything ran halfway decent. Yes, everything was at low, but it was pleasantly playable and still looked decent. Granted this was on a 14 inch monitor at 1080p (720p DLSS) this game has some of the best low settings I have ever seen in my short time checking out.

Luipadre

Can someone explain me about the FMV in this game? In my mind that screams trashy and low budget and a period of time id rather not revisit in gaming. Judging by the reviews it isnt a problem though, so someone fill me in.

Lets just say its masterfully implemented seemlessly into the game. It doesnt feel cheap at all

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say they did pretty good job combing live action and game in such unique way. Remedy has very specific style when making games and AW2 is embracing that proudly, some people like it and some don’t but it what makes their game stand out from others.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
This is the coolest use of a “multiverse” (christ I hate that fucking term) I have ever seen. The way everything is tied in to each other is just on a whole other level of style and depth you just don’t see nowadays in games period. It’s not big brained or anything, but it works, especially if you’re familiar with Remedys work. I just can’t believe they made it all fit together. It’s a crazy, incredible fucking accomplishment.

My brains gears can only turn so much thinking about how they’ll potentially connect everything to those Max Payne remakes.

SCB3

This is the coolest use of a “multiverse” (christ I hate that fucking term) I have ever seen. The way everything is tied in to each other is just on a whole other level of style and depth you just don’t see nowadays in games period. It’s not big brained or anything, but it works, especially if you’re familiar with Remedys work. I just can’t believe they made it all fit together. It’s a crazy, incredible fucking accomplishment.

My brains gears can only turn so much thinking about how they’ll potentially connect everything to those Max Payne remakes.
Connected Universe, its not a Multiverse

Certinty

Nearing the end now and as long as they stick the explanations and ending, I’ll love this game.

The moments where things finally start making sense after hours of ‘nonsense’ is such a satisfying feeling in this. Can’t think of a game which has done this much better.

SCB3

Nearing the end now and as long as they stick the explanations and ending, I’ll love this game.

The moments where things finally start making sense after hours of ‘nonsense’ is such a satisfying feeling in this. Can’t think of a game which has done this much better.
Control did pretty well if you explored everything, much better than Quantum Break which was very forgettable

ikbalCO

halfway done and not gonna lie, i am enjoying saga’s story much more than alan’s. The detective thriller narrative works much better than twin peaksy one for a game.

And also remedy really nailed the detective side of things. Mind place is a lot of fun

Hugare

I'm a huge AW fan and I'm loving this, but I also think this will be the worst Remedy game in terms of replayability

They had that perfect balance between narrative and gameplay. But this time the gameplay takes a backseat.

I dont mind it right now, 'cause everything is so fresh and I dont know where the game will take me, but other playthroughs may be kinda boring.

I also dont get people praising the gameplay 'cause to me, this is Alan Wake at a slower pace, with a narrow FOV and less resources.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
rofif rofif I know you're playing the PS5 version, have you had any kind of audio glitches where the audio skips out for a line or two randomly and you need to pause/unpause the game to fix it?

That's about the only issue I've had with Xbox. It seems to happen most often when I'm loading a fresh save, not when I'm playing the game. Like after loading a save, the audio cuts in and out for the first few seconds, then after I pause / unpause the game, it fixes it.

Otherwise, the frame rate in the Quality mode has been pretty consistent to my eyes so far. Just finished the second boss so have seen a fair bit of combat by now as well.

-

Also, here's a couple of words in the same sentence that are tickling my Remedy-verse fancy.

VsnG03Y.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
AW2 and Control are probably the best universe mergers I've played in terms of modern video games. If you haven't played Control before AW2, you're missing out big time cuz you won't understand what FBC is, what they're doing, what A.W.E. is, how it is connected to FBC, why FBI can't get shit from them etc. etc. etc., but if you've played Control and all of its DLCs... it's fuckin' amazing!

This 100 percent. I'm so in love with the universe remedy have made.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
rofif rofif I know you're playing the PS5 version, have you had any kind of audio glitches where the audio skips out for a line or two randomly and you need to pause/unpause the game to fix it?

That's about the only issue I've had with Xbox. It seems to happen most often when I'm loading a fresh save, not when I'm playing the game. Like after loading a save, the audio cuts in and out for the first few seconds, then after I pause / unpause the game, it fixes it.

Otherwise, the frame rate in the Quality mode has been pretty consistent to my eyes so far. Just finished the second boss so have seen a fair bit of combat by now as well.

-

Also, here's a couple of words in the same sentence that are tickling my Remedy-verse fancy.

VsnG03Y.jpg
No audio glitches like that. Only some muffled speech from time to time

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm a huge AW fan and I'm loving this, but I also think this will be the worst Remedy game in terms of replayability

They had that perfect balance between narrative and gameplay. But this time the gameplay takes a backseat.

I dont mind it right now, 'cause everything is so fresh and I dont know where the game will take me, but other playthroughs may be kinda boring.

I also dont get people praising the gameplay 'cause to me, this is Alan Wake at a slower pace, with a narrow FOV and less resources.
I playing the game on hard difficulty and personally think the actual gunplay is VASTLY better than original AW and even think the encounter is much better. (shame we still dont get freaky looking enemies)

As for replayability, I have to see how they gonna handle NG+ and Nightmare mode.

Luipadre

I playing the game on hard difficulty and personally think the actual gunplay is VASTLY better than original AW and even think the encounter is much better. (shame we still dont get freaky looking enemies)

As for replayability, I have to see how they gonna handle NG+ and Nightmare mode.

As much as i like the mind place and the board i would like an option to skip it on ng+ or an autosolve thing to speed things up a bit

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

I’ll be curious to see what the takeaway is for normal vs hard mode. I’m under the impression the game spawns more enemies more often on hard mode. I know they must take more hits to finish because I generally end a chapter low on ammo for the character I was using, albeit still good on health and heal items.

The game could use more enemies for sure I don’t think anyone would mind that.

Combat feels good here, and gives you some fun tools to tackle baddies with but it suffers from the same issue the original and RE7 do — basically one enemy type all game. It’s also Controls problem too with too few enemy types that are easy for Jesse to overcome.

I would love to see control 2 or whatever is next really focus on upping enemy variety.

SJRB

Gold Member
Interesting thing I noticed is that lowering the difficulty level not only drastically reduced enemy health but also reduces enemy spawn rate.

This is pretty neat for me because the combat is by far the least interesting part of the game. In fact, I play this game for everything but the combat and it's so cool the game caters to that by removing it as much as possible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I recommend lowering look and aim controller sensitivity to 25. Feels better.

Wish there was way to turn off acceleration. Hate that crap

Sleepwalker

Booted this baby up at max settings with path tracing and ray reconstruction with framegen at 4k dlss quality. Got around 48-55 fps during the first investigation thingy and now around 60 in the town.

Which setting should I tone down to gain a little more perf? Would like to be around 60 in the forest as well. Or is there any guide for ray tracing settings? The df one only covers raster.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Booted this baby up at max settings with path tracing and ray reconstruction with framegen at 4k dlss quality. Got around 48-55 fps during the first investigation thingy and now around 60 in the town.

Which setting should I tone down to gain a little more perf? Would like to be around 60 in the forest as well. Or is there any guide for ray tracing settings? The df one only covers raster.

Put dlss to performance.

Top Bottom