• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So .. Mr. Door is totally Saga's dad, right? Probably gonna come face to face in one of the two DLC episodes.

MAX PAYMENT

The thread got locked, so i will leave the meme here

PeXSLrS.jpg
Yikes. Imagine if the race was anything other than white.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
So .. Mr. Door is totally Saga's dad, right? Probably gonna come face to face in one of the two DLC episodes.
I haven’t played Control or Quantum Break but I got impression that this guy has been travailing between worlds for very loooong time, I highly doubt his Saga’s dad.

adamsapple

I haven’t played Control or Quantum Break but I got impression that this guy has been travailing between worlds for very loooong time, I highly doubt his Saga’s dad.

Mr. Door is name dropped in Control as well, but in this specific case he very directly tells Alan that he's pulled in someone he very deeply cares about, i-e Saga

Also, Manuscript revelation spoiler:

Also, it seems like Tor and Odin sacrificed him to the dark place to broker a deal that the dark place will leave their family alone, it basically spells it out in the manuscrpits.

adamsapple

I showed my better half (not into gaming much) the We Sing chapter and needless to say the reactions were pretty priceless, in the range of "what the fuck are you playing". :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

sertopico

A new update is out:

These are the latest update notes for Alan Wake 2:

1st November

PlayStation 5 (1.00.08)
Xbox Series (1.0.0.8)
PC (1.0.8)

The 08 update contains over 200+ individual improvements and fixes to the game.

Global

-Various localization fixes, such as improved subtitle timings for all languages
–Improved localized audio for live-action cinematics
–Various audio-related improvements and additional polish
–Improved lip sync in some instances
–Fixed various graphical issues in the environments
–Fixed various minor issues in cinematics
–Minor improvements to image aliasing in Performance mode and Xbox Series S
–Improved lighting
-Fixed lighting bugs in multiple locations
–Various UI-related fixes and additional polish
–Various gameplay fixes and improvements
–Minor gameplay finetuning
–Improved auto-aim for specific circumstances
–Fixed rare player character animation issues
–Fixed various issues in the Case Board
–Fixed various map issues
–Several conversations failing to trigger and thus blocking progress later have been fixed
-Fixed Rose’s dialogue choices, sometimes not being selectable, blocking progress
–Fixed a rare issue with Saga’s lines not playing when going to the Sheriff’s Station, blocking progress
–Resolved a potential problem in the player getting stuck in a Case Board Tutorial
–Fixed exploration rewards for Lighthouse

Mission specific

INVITATION:
-Fixed a bug where Saga could get stuck in the environment (“Crazy forest”)

CASEY:
-Fixed potential issue with players able to get stuck when falling from ladders
-Fixed potential issues with Dark Presence (it remains a threat)
-Fixed a rare crash

ZANE’S FILM:
-Fixed a bug where Alan could fall through the environment

SCRATCH:
-Fixed a bug where Saga could fall through the world
-Fixed a bug in where a gate could get locked after reloading a save game, causing the player to get blocked from progressing
-Fixed an issue where, in rare circumstances, the player could end up outside of the game world when opening the map
-Fixed an issue where, in rare cases, the Lighthouse key could not be picked up

WE SING:
-Fixed a bug where Alan could get stuck in the environment

ROOM 665:
-Fixed an issue that caused the Oceanview Hotel Lobby Echo not to align correctly (this one was really annoying; we apologize)

MASKS:
-Fixed an issue where if the player performed specific tasks in an unpredictable order, the mission progress could get blocked

DEERFEST:
-Fixed an issue (much to Rose’s chagrin) with physics-related props that could block the player in and halt progress

COME HOME:
-Fixed an issue where the player, in rare instances, could not exit the radio, TV, or manuscript interact modules.

PC specific

-Added drag-and-drop support for inventory
–Fixed a bug that could cause graphics settings to reset when launching the game
–Improvements to PC Window handling logic
–Fixed mouse cursor sometimes not appearing in menus [/quote ]

Last edited:

Danjin44

One thing I'm curious about.....I get the feeling that Saga's daughter really did died not because of Alan's story but Saga just seems to be in denial.......I could be wrong here.

Am I wrong but did the game get a lot better looking after the patch? I'm playing on PS5.

The shadows and lights look a mile better now Palace Lodge.

Edit. The bar looks still like it's on ice.

Last edited:

Holdfing

One thing I'm curious about.....I get the feeling that Saga's daughter really did died not because of Alan's story but Saga just seems to be in denial.......I could be wrong here.
Casey asks Saga what he should buy for Logan's birthday at one point.

Ulysses 31

Wouldn't Casey give her a WTF look when he sees Saga with calling her daughter when they're driving to the lake? :messenger_winking_tongue:

Spank_Magnet

The Male Lewinsky
On the fence about this one…
I put off Control for a long time as the idea of playing a character that could learn to hover and float and do force pushes seemed a bit ridiculous but when it came on ps+ I gave it a try and loved it.
i bought the ps5 remaster of AW after hearing how awesome it was over the years and was seriously underwhelmed. Janky anims, killing shadows with a torch felt unsatisfying and despite all the acclaim the story and writing felt a bit overworked.

Might give it a few weeks until the honeymoon period is over and people start complaining about it ;-)

I put off Control for a long time as the idea of playing a character that could learn to hover and float and do force pushes seemed a bit ridiculous but when it came on ps+ I gave it a try and loved it.
i bought the ps5 remaster of AW after hearing how awesome it was over the years and was seriously underwhelmed. Janky anims, killing shadows with a torch felt unsatisfying and despite all the acclaim the story and writing felt a bit overworked.

Might give it a few weeks until the honeymoon period is over and people start complaining about it ;-)
I would hold off. Game has a ton of bugs and if you liked Control mainly for the cool gameplay and level design, that's not AW2. I'm waiting for a sale or PS+, my two friends that are actually playing it say it's closer to a walking sim, the "puzzles" are braindead and the boss fights that do exist are obnoxious.

I have a feeling once the novelty wears off, it'll shake out much like the first one. A subpar game with fantastic presentation.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Should I get this on PC (13600k, 4070), Xbox (series X) or PlayStation?

Which is currently best? I'd assume PC but if there isn't much difference I can skip the shitty epic launcher.

Danjin44

Quality, the 30fps is perfectly fine as it is a slow paced game, and it helps for the image quality which is not incredible on consoles.

Plus this is a technical showpiece, so you want the best gfx available
??? You quote me but I didn't post this!

I beat the game. On paper - I hate these types of games. Its gameplay is almost everything I don’t like. Walking around a lot, long stretches with no action. I strangely really liked it though - the story was so batshit weird and unlike anything I’ve played that I was thoroughly entertained. Like the mix of live action and the graphics being close to photo real mixed in - the environments changing instantaneously - weird mechanics - it’s really kinda fascinating to me I enjoyed this but I did. It feels like a cult indie film in game form

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Who told you AW1 is good ? The game is one of the biggest let downs of the 360 era. Only gobblers will defend it.

Control is amazing , and AW2 needs no wait. Believe the hype.

Play on hard mode to get more enemies to fight . Game only has one major flaw and it is that it is light on the combat , and while hard mode has more fights It could still use more sprinkled in.

Danjin44

Who told you AW1 is good ? The game is one of the biggest let downs of the 360 era. Only gobblers will defend it.

Control is amazing , and AW2 needs no wait. Believe the hype.

Play on hard mode to get more enemies to fight . Game only has one major flaw and it is that it is light on the combat , and while hard mode has more fights It could still use more sprinkled in.
I wouldn't say AW1 is bad game, I enjoyed when it first came out but it did not age well.

Danjin44

I've never played AW1 for very long but i really didn't like it. Alan Wake 2 on the other hand, I'm enjoying it very much.
The biggest problem with AW1 is remedy couldn't decide if they want to make a survival horror or action game so it awkwardly stuck in between.

I mean they give you almost infinite ammo because they throw so much enemy at you but Alan controls like 90 year old man, he barely can run without getting tired.

Last edited:

amigastar

The biggest problem with AW1 is remedy couldn't decide if they want to make a survival horror or action game so it awkwardly stuck in between.

I mean they give you almost infinite ammo because they throw so much enemy at you but Alan controls like 90 year old man, he barely can run without getting tired.
Dude, that's exactly my view on this also. It was arcadey if i could call it that, Alan Wake 2 feels more classy like RE2.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Because he is a writer and not a special agent or a trained military expert. I keep seeing this criticism but people don't seem to realize that it's intentional on Remedy's part to make us feel that way. Yes Alan is not someone who is used to fight to survive.
Could it be done better? Maybe, but I still think the gameplay is good enough for what it's doing.
I'm saying it. Alan Wake 1 is one of the best game I played on the 360 and to this day I still listen to some of the music (How Can I Be Sure for example). It was scaled down for sure but the end product is still amazing imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Because he is a writer and not a special agent or a trained military expert. I keep seeing this criticism but people don't seem to realize that it's intentional on Remedy's part to make us feel that way. Yes Alan is not someone who is used to fight to survive.
Could it be done better? Maybe, but I still think the gameplay is good enough for what it's doing.

I'm saying it. Alan Wake 1 is one of the best game I played on the 360 and to this day I still listen to some of the music (How Can I Be Sure for example). It was scaled down for sure but the end product is still amazing imo.

200w.gif

But to each his own.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I'm not saying Alan should control like Leon in RE4 but come one, his not 90 years man either. Also AW1 is mostly action game, limiting your movement is pointless in action games.

AW2 is proper survival horror and they decided not bring back super low stamina from AW1, for a good reason.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

Finally beat it.

It fell off the woke end a little bit at the end, got a bit preachy and story dragged a bit as well but i loved it any way.

i loved how they leave the reality to interpretation as well, since i loved the idea that story was maybe fooling saga that her daughter is alive.

DsgLKe2.jpg
eHwUmDl.jpg

You can not blame this game for not having a mood. It oozes style.

So where is the spoiler thread?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
200w.gif

But to each his own.
Precisely, and I'm not a gobbler (whatever that mean lol) which was my point.

I'm not saying Alan should control like Leon in RE4 but come one, it his not 90 years man either. Also AW1 is mostly action game, limiting your movement is pointless in action games.

AW2 is proper survival horror and they decided not bring back super low stamina from AW1, for a good reason.
Yeah like I said it could have been done better, but it's not as extreme as 90 years old Alan ^^. Also the game is 13 years old, I think context is important. For what it's worth a friend played AW1 last week for the first time in preparation for AWII and while I thought gameplay would be his biggest problem, he actually think it was ok-ish. Nothing THAT bad and he liked the story a lot.

Danjin44

Precisely, and I'm not a gobbler (whatever that mean lol) which was my point.

Yeah like I said it could have been done better, but it's not as extreme as 90 years old Alan ^^. Also the game is 13 years old, I think context is important. For what it's worth a friend played AW1 last week for the first time in preparation for AWII and while I thought gameplay would be his biggest problem, he actually think it was ok-ish. Nothing THAT bad and he liked the story a lot.
I enjoyed AW1 despite its flaws but in my opinion it did not age well and its unfocused in what it wants to be which they clearly fix that with AW2.

My only problem with AW2 is I wish it had more interesting and freaky enemies. I dont mind in Saga side we mostly fighting normal human takens but with Alan side in Dark place, they could have been much more creative with the enemies but instead we still fighting normal humanoid enemies but with blurry filter on them.

Hugare

Imagine how shitty Alan Wake would play if he could run like crazy around enemies. I really dont know what people wanted from that game in terms of gameplay by saying shit like this.

Nailing the dodge timing is all you need. I played some of the original yesterday and my gf even called me an idiot for playing with the enemy by dodging all of his attacks for 5 minutes.

Alan Wake gameplay is awesome. Dodging is always satisfying, and the flashlight works much better than in AW 2

Honestly, AW 2 gameplay made me appreciate the original even more. Dont know wtf people are saying when they praise the sequel's gameplay.

It feels good to shoot, but the flashlight is now so unsatisfying. There were 2 modes in the original: normal beam and focused beam. Normal was enough to eat away some of the enemies shields, and focus mode was more about staggering. Choosing what mode to use at the right time to save batteries was fun.

Now its just press R1 and thats it. You dont even have to hold it, you just press it and Saga/Alan will hold the flashlight for you until the shield is gone.

Everything else is just like the first but from a different perspective, slower and with fewer enemies at the same time.

About tone, the game knew exactly what it wanted to be: an action game with a pinch of horror. But it never tried to be a spooky game.

Game had an identity of its own, still has.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Imagine how shitty Alan Wake would play if he could run like crazy around enemies. I really dont know what people wanted from that game in terms of gameplay by saying shit like this.

Nailing the dodge timing is all you need. I played some of the original yesterday and my gf even called me an idiot for playing with the enemy by dodging all of his attacks.

Alan Wake gameplay is awesome. Dodging is always satisfying, and the flashlight works much better than in AW 2

Honestly, AW 2 gameplay made me appreciate the original even more. Dont know wtf people are saying when they praise the sequel's gameplay.

It feels good to shoot, but the flashlight is now so unsatisfying. There were 2 modes in the original: normal beam and focused beam. Normal was enough to eat away some of the enemies shields, and focus mode was more about staggering. Choosing what mode to use at the right time to save batteries was fun.

Now its just press R1 and thats it. You dont even have to hold it, you just press it and Saga/Alan will hold the flashlight for you until the shield is gone.

Everything else is just like the first but from a different perspective, slower and with fewer enemies at the same time.

About tone, the game knew exactly what it wanted to be: an action game with a pinch of horror. But it never tried to be a spooky game.

Game had an identity of its own, still has.
Exactly. I was so disappointed to see that the "normal beam" didn't do anything now. And while I really like AWII gameplay (especially the new ideas with the lights), I think it lost something compared to AWI.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Do enemies ever die in with that spark like effect they used in the first game? I really miss that. Im glad they kept in the buzzsaw against metal sound for cutting into the darkness surrounding baddies, but where's that spark effect and the slo mo final blast effect on the last kill?

NpnZrdD.gif

UEWXs8f.gif

This is sorely missed by Chuck

Skitso

Anyone played PS5 after latest patch? Any performance improvements? PC version seems to have ~5% boost in fps

Luipadre

Credits rolled after 30 hours. I took my sweet time with this. Despite the shit fps on PS5 and the clunky ass combat (i miss the combat from the first game lol), this experience will be with me forever. It was a masterpiece of story and storytelling with amazing presentation and incredible style. I managed to follow the story right until the end where it lost me completely. It was incredible how this multi layered story came together, but i have more questions than answers by the end. I need to go to the spoiler thread now and watch videos about that ending... Thank you Remedy for this experience. Whan an incredible journey this was and i hope we dont have to wait 13 years for another one.

Definitely gonna do another playthrough, but not on this hardware thats for sure. Either on PS5 pro if it comes out or on a beefy PC

J3nga

Credits rolled after 30 hours. I took my sweet time with this. Despite the shit fps on PS5 and the clunky ass combat (i miss the combat from the first game lol), this experience will be with me forever. It was a masterpiece of story and storytelling with amazing presentation and incredible style. I managed to follow the story right until the end where it lost me completely. It was incredible how this multi layered story came together, but i have more questions than answers by the end. I need to go to the spoiler thread now and watch videos about that ending... Thank you Remedy for this experience. Whan an incredible journey this was and i hope we dont have to wait 13 years for another one.

Definitely gonna do another playthrough, but not on this hardware thats for sure. Either on PS5 pro if it comes out or on a beefy PC
I'm not sure why some people are happy about the ending(or complete lack of it), to me it was completely abrupt. You wait 13 years just to see a ripoff ending from the first game, when credits rolled I was sorta pissed. I hope there's DLC with proper ending and not Alan fucking Wake 3 in the next century.

adamsapple

I'm not sure why some people are happy about the ending(or complete lack of it), to me it was completely abrupt. You wait 13 years just to see a ripoff ending from the first game, when credits rolled I was sorta pissed. I hope there's DLC with proper ending and not Alan fucking Wake 3 in the next century.

There are 2 story DLC episodes planned for next year.

Top Bottom