• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The thread got locked, so i will leave the meme here

PeXSLrS.jpg
This is AI: The Somnium Files all over again. Over one fucking line now entire game is “woke”…..there is absolutely no middle ground here, either everything is “problematic” or everything is “woke”.

Draugoth

Gold Member
This is AI: The Somnium Files all over again. Over one fucking line now entire game is “woke”…..there is absolutely no middle ground here, either everything is “problematic” or everything is “woke”.

If they want to play a woke game, i would suggest playing Goodbye Volcano High.

xVodevil

Mostly enjoying the game but the coffee world part killed some of the vibes, fuck I hate wandering around in dark games not seeing shit to find something. Not sure what's wrong with this here, Resident Evil never made me feel this, though the path in those game is more tight and compact compared this Watery map though here.

Flabagast

Mostly enjoying the game but the coffee world part killed some of the vibes, fuck I hate wandering around in dark games not seeing shit to find something. Not sure what's wrong with this here, Resident Evil never made me feel this, though the path in those game is more tight and compact compared this Watery map though here.
I agree that the level design is sometimes not as readable as in some bigger games and you can get lost (but some would say that's also part of the genre and I would agree), but I had no problem at all with Coffee World in Return 3. Maybe you are talking about a later part of the game though. Don't hesitate using the map also, it's pretty useful.

It doesn't matter that it's "one line". It's in there, and it shouldn't be. Woke is woke, and it's destroying everything it touches. Wokeness must be eliminated completely from video games and other forms of popular culture.

Wokeness must be called out, mocked, ridiculed, and shamed wherever it rears its foul head. And gamers must vote with their wallets.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Can someone like me who's not familiar with the lore (never played Alan Wake 1 and did not finish Control) jump into this and enjoy it ?

Demption

It doesn't matter that it's "one line". It's in there, and it shouldn't be. Woke is woke, and it's destroying everything it touches. Wokeness must be eliminated completely from video games and other forms of popular culture.

Wokeness must be called out, mocked, ridiculed, and shamed wherever it rears its foul head. And gamers must vote with their wallets.
You should do that. Meanwhile, we're enjoying one of the Gotys of this year.

Hugare

Got soft locked from Alan's campaign due to a bug in the Oceanview Hotel

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Will have to wait for a patch 'cause I had no manual saves

Save manually, people

Draugoth

Gold Member
Getting bored with it now.

Will try and slog through to the end, but it’s not for me. Just way, way, way too much walking alongside circular, inane conversation.

It’s well done. But just not my type of game.

The game is basically The Last of Us. Insane presentation but little to no replay value.

Can someone like me who's not familiar with the lore (never played Alan Wake 1 and did not finish Control) jump into this and enjoy it ?

There's a two minute recap that spoils the hole thing on Remedy channel.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Will try and slog through to the end, but it’s not for me. Just way, way, way too much walking alongside circular, inane conversation.

Sounds a bit like you're experiencing what these guys are saying about the game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I liked it well enough but it's like that for 20+ hours.
You kill like 50 enemies in the whole game

Hugare

Sounds a bit like you're experiencing what these guys are saying about the game.

Its not for everyone. And thank fucking God for that.

Coming right after Spider-man 2, such a safe, made by committee game, it feels like something so fresh and different

Game really starting to click for me once you start playing as Alan Wake. I hope the rest of the game is mostly Alan.

They are divided 50/50

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I agree that the level design is sometimes not as readable as in some bigger games and you can get lost (but some would say that's also part of the genre and I would agree), but I had no problem at all with Coffee World in Return 3. Maybe you are talking about a later part of the game though. Don't hesitate using the map also, it's pretty useful.

The map plus checking objectives. And when you get stuck in games why suffer ? Just a quick google or YT away.

bbmcgee

Banned

Grow up you fucking snowflake.

to the extent the game's something of a huge, non-stop in-joke, maybe. but, seeing as both alan wake & control are better games, anyway, not to mention cheaper, i'd strongly suggest going with them first...

J3nga

Just finished the game
13 years for a sequel + 25h for this just to see another cliffhanger
1YgcU8B.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The night time in this game is really fucking good. More oppressive and scary than 99% of horror games.

alanwake2-2023_10_31-3ad4h.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

I didn't watch the vid but lol no.
It's not that scary... it's barely scary at all
Its not about being more scary but shifting reality is somewhat similar to SH games but yeah its no where near as scary as those games, especially the fact SH has WAAAY MORE freaky looking enemies.

Hugare

why the hell do people do this lol. I save every chance I can
Its been a looong time since I've experienced a softlock in a game

So I was definitely not expecting to find one in this game

Lesson learned. Will continue with Saga's storyline while I wait for a patch

Still on my AW1 playthrough on PC, still having fun. Game is just so much more enjoyable compared to the horrible 360 version. Gameplay feels less tedious with more snappy controls. Enjoying the story a lot.

And the save system is miles ahead of AW2 lmao. Any word on patches/bug fixes yet?

Last edited:

proandrad

This is what being neck deep in the culture war looks like. Relax mate.

Kataploom

Gold Member
How are memory leaks, bugs, crashes, etc. on PC? I'm whiling to give Epic my money for this game BUT I want to know if PC version is any good

Danjin44

And the save system is miles ahead of AW2 lmao
What’s wrong with the save system? I thought it worked pretty well, it also gives you option to manually save. Also you forget AW2 is survival horror rather than action like AW1 was.

Danjin44

This type of reaction like this, it make me think you guys acting exactly like the group you hate on just in opposite direction.

What’s wrong with the save system? I thought it worked pretty well, it also gives you option to manually save. Also you forget AW2 is survival horror rather than action like AW1 was.

To make it short, the checkpoints are way too sparse and random.

Danjin44

To make it short, the checkpoints are way too sparse and random.
Isn't that true with most survival horror game? in fact I found AW1 checkpoint was too often, for example in AW1 there was manuscript in the farm when you fight group of enemies in music stage, but there is one manuscript (Nightmare only) you HAVE to get before the battle, if you forget you cant get to it and thanks to checkpoints you have restart entire episode all over again.

SCB3

Just got to the part where you have to return to Coffee World and man the Crossbow is OP as fuck!

Danjin44

Just got to the part where you have to return to Coffee World and man the Crossbow is OP as fuck!
Yeah, headshot can kill most enemies one shot, the only problem is its reload is too slow when fighting group of enemies, especially when some of them hand back to throw axe at you.

Also, while I consider myself a balanced person when it comes to racism, wokeness etc, I am very shocked by the line that everyone has been talking about. I think it only fosters hatred. Can you even imagine if it said something like 'another black m****r f****r' for example! As a white person myself (shame on me I know) with respect for every living thing on this planet, why should I have to accept such one sided dialogue like that? Because of slavery way back in history or some other reason?

Personally I think that line should be patched to remove the 'white' reference, there's no need for it and it disappoints me that by adding this they have given a particular slant to Saga's character. There would have been absolute uproar if it was targeted any anyone other than an evil old white person.
If you don't see the difference between a black person saying that line vs a white person saying that line then you are ignorant as fuck. There's a perfectly good reason why much of black America feels unable to assimilate with "white America". You mention slavery, which was abolished 250 years ago, yes, but ignore that black American's didn't get equal rights until 60ish years ago. And even after that there was still horrific racism. It's much better today, but I don't understand how you don't grasp that it is reasonable for a black person to be skeptical of rural all-white community. There's a historic reason to feel that way

And fuck off with your "white people are being persecuted" bullshit. Who believes in that unless you are racist SOB?

I'm white fyi

Last edited:

Filben

If you play with HDR enabled on PC and have issues with the frame rate, make sure to disable background recording via Gamebar. This tanks my FPS by roughly 30% (!). Also, if you just disabled it while the game is running, you have to start capturing a video for a second and stop the recording. I could replicate this a couple of times and must have something to do with capturing the additional HDR information since a) this issue doesn't happened with HDR off and b) not with Nvidia's Shadowplay/Share/background recording since Nvidia doesn't care to capture HDR content correctly.

Background recording on
9MPelaD.jpg

background recording off
3JmUhD5.jpg

Images are washed out due to using Afterburner which doesn't capture in HDR format; the Gamebar does and saves in huge *.jxr format but which isn't supported by imgur.

K' Dash

The Coffe World area is tanking the framerate on PS5, I'm sure its hitting low 20s sometimes, I just restarted the game to see if that helps.

Sleepwalker

Im really enjoying my time with this but I do feel it needed a touch more combat. I like walking sims so its not gonna break my experience but I wasnt expecting this to lean on that genre this much.

Top Bottom