• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

SCB3

Hmm, the end of Saga's chapter 4 is super weird and very much like Alan Wake, not been playing too much of this due to other commitments, but yea this game is something special, thats for sure

acm2000

the alan wake 2
rock opera
is the single best scene in any game ever :messenger_tears_of_joy: just made me think of
Repo: The Genetic Opera, what a film that is

MacReady13

Played it now for around 6 or so hours. Doing the Alan Wake area with the subway shit and all that underground area where the scene of the ritual is (I believe). Anyway, is it just me or is it extremely easy to get lost and have zero idea what to do next? Im just aimlessly wondering around and only know I'm on the right path if I hear an unusual noise or if I see the save/load icon appear.
I remember having similar issues with Control which completely turned me off that game even though both stories are right up my alley...

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Played it now for around 6 or so hours. Doing the Alan Wake area with the subway shit and all that underground area where the scene of the ritual is (I believe). Anyway, is it just me or is it extremely easy to get lost and have zero idea what to do next? Im just aimlessly wondering around and only know I'm on the right path if I hear an unusual noise or if I see the save/load icon appear.
I remember having similar issues with Control which completely turned me off that game even though both stories are right up my alley...

Maybe you're just not paying attention? It's all telegraphed in so many ways.

Sleepwalker

Yes, its supossed to be for immersion and to not hold your hand but holy shit it sucks for people like me who cant do directions at all. I kept getting turned around in the woods which meant I had to open the map every few seconds.

Same with the tv show stage lol

When I'm playing as Saga, I have more than I can carry, and my shoebox is half-filled.

As Alan, I can't even fill my inventory and I'm hurting for ammo and charges.

Anybody else? I'm at the point of no return in the end game, for reference, and that was my experience the whole game.

Also, my people, I finally got to the line that had everybody up in arms saying it's woke:

It's not what you might think. It's said by a split version of Saga who is filled with anger, insecurity, and doubt. The same voice that tells her she's a terrible partner, detective, and mother. It's meant to be ugly, in my opinion.

If you're skipping the game because of that line, I'd reconsider.

proandrad

Also, my people, I finally got to the line that had everybody up in arms saying it's woke:

It's not what you might think. It's said by a split version of Saga who is filled with anger, insecurity, and doubt. The same voice that tells her she's a terrible partner, detective, and mother. It's meant to be ugly, in my opinion.

If you're skipping the game because of that line, I'd reconsider.
So with context the line isn’t even actually pushing anything woke. Just people looking for a reason to be offended, sounds a lot like the people on that other forum.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just people looking for a reason to be offended
Thats internet for you, people actively want to get offended from something...anything.

Eventually you notice people who are saying everything is "woke" are no different than people say everything is "problematic".
same-shit-different-day-same-shit.gif

Possibly but damn it is frustrating. I'll try keeping my eyes and ears open more than they already are!
i'm with you, man. i did much better not getting lost in control than i am with aw2, but i'm pretty sure it's a question of just how invested one is. i was really interested in finding out what happened next in control. not so much in aw2. i'm most of the way through, at this point, & it's yet to've really grabbed me. while i wasn't a big fan of jesse, i just can't relate to either saga or the new, opposite-of-improved version of wake. i'm at that stage where there're stretches that just feel more like work than anything else...

anyway, there's my $.02. my advice? get invested!...

Last edited:

Flabagast

When I'm playing as Saga, I have more than I can carry, and my shoebox is half-filled.

As Alan, I can't even fill my inventory and I'm hurting for ammo and charges.

Anybody else? I'm at the point of no return in the end game, for reference, and that was my experience the whole game.
This is the exact opposite for me..
Scrapping for ressources as Saga and way overstuffed with Alan.

So weird lol

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The more I’m playing the more I realize I really don’t like this shift they made being super inspired by the third person RE remakes when it comes to stuff like item management and combat. And even exploration in some ways.

The walk n talk to combat ratio rivals Quantum Break HARD and what sucks is that the combat has zero going on. It feels like the anthesis to what makes Remedy gunplay. Except that it FEELS great. Of course they always nail that.

But there’s something missing with the visual feedback. It’s because I miss those fucking spark effects man.

spcLmbh.gif

That first game has something that this game simply does not have. Go back and play Max Payne 2 and then Alan Wake 1. Back 2 Back. Then QB. You’ll see what I mean.

Brought to you by Berry Inc tm

Danjin44

Go back and play Max Payne 2 and then Alan Wake 1
I replayed AW1 before AW2 came out and in my honest opinion the gameplay did not age well and felt super repetitive and especially the fact they were not that many enemy types and you were mostly fighting same enemies over and over again.

AW2 unfortunately has same issue with enemy designs but at least they don't throw that many at you to make the combat repetitive like the first game did.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I replayed AW1 before AW2 came out and in my honest opinion the gameplay did not age well and felt super repetitive and especially the fact they were not that many enemy types and you were mostly fighting same enemies over and over again.

AW2 unfortunately has same issue with enemy designs but at least they don't throw that many at you to make the combat repetitive like the first game did.

I guess I just like how much more “gamey” AW1 feels, combined with those dark mysterious pacific nw forests. And the sparky effects. There’s a lot of sixth gen Remedy sensibilities and charm that got carried over to Wake 1. Also nostalgia is a bitch.

I just find the gunplay and visual feedback much more satisfying than 2. So far at least. I haven’t finished yet.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I guess I just like how much more “gamey” AW1 feels, combined with those dark mysterious pacific nw forests. And the sparky effects. There’s a lot of sixth gen Remedy sensibilities and charm that got carried over to Wake 1. Also nostalgia is a bitch.

I just find the gunplay and visual feedback much more satisfying than 2. So far at least. I haven’t finished yet. But I have a big degree in Remedy games. And games in general.
I love my game feeling gamy but my problem is Alan doesn't feel good to control in AW1 and weapon feed back 100 x better in AW2, it feels there is actual power behind the weapons.

Also some of the enemies in AW1 just downright annoying like those crows and those enemies keep dashing around and you have to wait until they stop so you can point light at them.....they not challenging they are just time consuming and tedious.

I just find the gunplay and visual feedback much more satisfying than 2. So far at least. I haven’t finished yet. But I have a big degree in Remedy games. And games in general.
alan wake is, indeed, naively charming. alan wake 2 is smugly self-satisfied. & i also found the original's gunplay more satisfying (tho there is absolutely way too much of it)...

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fucking hell man, the amount of time I get lost or have no clue where to go or what do do. Sometimes I need a fucking game to just tell me where to go. To hell with your puzzle.

If Im walking around for 30 minutes in circles then just fucking tell me.

Last edited:
So with context the line isn’t even actually pushing anything woke. Just people looking for a reason to be offended, sounds a lot like the people on that other forum.
This whole controversy was so stupid. Also people complaining Saga was race-swapped in the first place. It’s purposeful and there’s thought behind it - it’s not just for “woke” points.

Represent.

New gen gamers, in Super Nintendo times I was stuck for days .. 30 mins 🤣 see it as an achievement when you figure it out .
I spent 2 hours and watched multiple walkthroughs trying to figure out some stupid fucking puzzle in Shrine station. I finally got it but like what the hell? there was 2 lights? I only got the X notification for 1 on my PS5. how the hell was i supposed to figure that out? i HATE puzzles. fucking boring

/rant

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I don't normally listen to music like this but this track is good. Is it made just for the game? Sounds like something that would play over and over and over again on the radio and be number 1 in multiple countries.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I spent 2 hours and watched multiple walkthroughs trying to figure out some stupid fucking puzzle in Shrine station. I finally got it but like what the hell? there was 2 lights? I only got the X notification for 1 on my PS5. how the hell was i supposed to figure that out? i HATE puzzles. fucking boring

/rant

I find it weird. There's a clear path forward when you look at the map with maybe like one or two side rooms/areas. Main characters tells you want you need to do in their monologues. You can go to safe space and reference your notes. You can press Y to see your goals. It's all so clear...

tommib

Gold Member
I find it weird. There's a clear path forward when you look at the map with maybe like one or two side rooms/areas. Main characters tells you want you need to do in their monologues. You can go to safe space and reference your notes. You can press Y to see your goals. It's all so clear...
Yeap, the map and the goals clear any doubts although the subway section was just a little bit confusing but I actually like that. I love how expansive the levels are with multiple paths. One of my big joys in gaming is having a limited set of paths and being kind of lost and then realising, aha!, this is it. I find that super satisfying. Original Tomb Raiders were great at that.

Last edited:

Hugare

I love my game feeling gamy but my problem is Alan doesn't feel good to control in AW1 and weapon feed back 100 x better in AW2, it feels there is actual power behind the weapons.

Also some of the enemies in AW1 just downright annoying like those crows and those enemies keep dashing around and you have to wait until they stop so you can point light at them.....they not challenging they are just time consuming and tedious.
... But those enemies are still there in AW 2

And they are WAY more annoying in AW 2 due to the limited FOV of the new camera

Dr.Morris79

I'm about an hour and a half in, it looks good. The one thing throwing me though is that Saga just 'knows' things..

Went to the mind place, stuck up a picture of the corpse and she knew he had something in his stomach?

Is there a reason she just 'knows' such things? She seems to just know everything then acts on it, I havent really had to work anything out?

It's taking away from any mystery.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I'm about an hour and a half in, it looks good. The one thing throwing me though is that Saga just 'knows' things..

Went to the mind place, stuck up a picture of the corpse and she knew he had something in his stomach?

Is there a reason she just 'knows' such things? She seems to just know everything then acts on it, I havent really had to work anything out?

It's taking away from any mystery.

Well the mystery is how she knows things. It's explained in the game. Keep playing.

Assaulty

The only place I really got stuck was the subway station about halfway through. The rest of the game was pretty clear imo. A lot clearer than the maze that is the Bureau in Control imo

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

I guess I feel like they basically took all of their cool tricks and gimmicks that they're known for with their gunplay and combat, and instead put that flair into the narrative and story visuals. The combat, what is there, is serviceable at best I think, which is a terrible thing to say about a Remedy game.

Also surprised no one has mentioned the lack of the slo mo perfect dodge. That move was the shit. Why would you remove that? I kept on expecting it to trigger when I was dodging those damn wolf attacks and zippo.

Represent.

The only place I really got stuck was the subway station about halfway through. The rest of the game was pretty clear imo. A lot clearer than the maze that is the Bureau in Control imo
That’s where I was stuck. What a ridiculous maze. Cleared it out last night

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Hold up, I swear I got this in AW2 once or twice. Maybe it was slowdown because of all the effects going on lol

Yeah I need to know. Ive tried pulling it off over and over. I did get the trophy for it but I havent seen any slow motion. Even when you do the final kill during a combat sequence.

In before "I ain't reading all that, but congratulations. Or I'm sorry that happened."

I finished it last night. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 for being a great combo of the new run of Resident Evil games + Remedy weirdness. I loved that this game was survival/psychological horror. I didn't know Remedy had it in them! Sure, there were flashes of it in Max Payne, but they sustain it for 20 hours.

This next point comes down to personal taste, but it'd be a 10 for me if so much of the dialogue wasn't overly abstract, redundant/repetitive, and if they resolved more of the many questions they raised. Spoiler thoughts now:

-The Poet's Theater and its outside section with Alan was the only part I found frustrating in terms of knowing where to go and progressing. So many scenes to switch between in so many locations. So many lights to also switch on/off. So many enemies in close quarters and I was hurting for items at that point. Otherwise, it was just the right balance of lost/aha! moments

-Warlin Door is totally Saga's dad, isn't he? When profiling Warlin, he says something like "The family of Doors can cross realities..." Like Saga. Plus, to say the obvious, they're the two main characters who are (at least part) black. Door and Saga don't directly interact outside of that profiling section, and I think that's to avoid awkwardly stepping around the truth for longer.

-The ending was underwhelming. At a certain point, the "mystery box" approach to storytelling loses me when the ratio of answered questions to newly-posed ones crosses a certain threshold. I was holding out hope the ending would bring it home, but it didn't. By the way, there's a 4chan datamine leak going around with an extended final cutscene that seems legit, and if it is, I wish they would have just put that in the game to begin with because it's much more satisfying. Hoping the DLCs answer more questions because I'd rather not wait 13 years for another sequel to pose more questions.

-The only story point I feel truly lost on is the whole Thomas Zane/Seine thing. As best as I can tell, they're going for another case of mixed identity, but when you already have the "Scratch is Wake/Wake is Scratch" twist, to have a third character of Zane that plays with that isn't very interesting to me.

-I, too, enjoyed the "We Sing" section, but I really wish I hadn't heard "there's something awesome coming in Chapter 4, just wait!" As soon as the musical started, my thought wasn't "This is so wild and cool!" It was "Oh, this must be what those NEOGAF folks were talking about."

Luipadre

After i finished the game on quality mode, changed to performance mode to see how it is. Combat felt 100% better at 60 fps, but the visuals are a major downgrade. Ps5 pro where you at... Im definitely gonna wait for my second playthrough until i can play this on a better HW

Finished it yesterday, but all i can think of is this game. What an unforgettable experience this was

Last edited:

Luipadre

Really great thoughts video from cohh, but sadly he included a surprise moment from the game, so if you havent been there yet, its better just to listen to it and not watch

tommib

Gold Member
After i finished the game on quality mode, changed to performance mode to see how it is. Combat felt 100% better at 60 fps, but the visuals are a major downgrade. Ps5 pro where you at... Im definitely gonna wait for my second playthrough until i can play this on a better HW

Finished it yesterday, but all i can think of is this game. What an unforgettable experience this was
PS5 Pro won’t save this game unless it’s patched. They didn’t include an unlocked quality version - one of the reasons I hate locked 30 fps on consoles is that it doesn’t bulletproof games for next-gen.

I don’t know if you’ve tried performance mode after the latest patch but to me it looks quite better.

Top Bottom