• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

marjo

I honestly think some people here are just fishing for bans or sth.
Nobody can really be this out for needless aggression and stirring up shit that just straight up doesn't belong here and expect nobody to notice.
But, nope, gotta shove it to them SJWs while showing just how much of an anti-SJW you are. Signal as loud and hard as you can. I guess it's some kind of addiction?

The same old "old man yelling at clouds" meme, again and again and again.
And meanwhile, those without the brainrot necessary to partake in the shitflinging are just like:
162cf25f87c9e13f1ed290d9891f629b30fba226r1-492-449v2_hq.jpg
Agreed. The only thing worse than console warriors are culture warriors. 'Both sides' are equally annoying. Either enjoy the game or don't, we don't care about your stupid perceived grievances.

Hugare

People making a fuss over one, one fucking line in a 20h game

Same people who probably call others by "snowflakes"

I was bothered by Spider-man 2 "wokeness" with some stuff, but there's none to find in AW 2

The game is amazing and there's so much to talk about, but instead we are talking about this shit. Fuck off.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Did anyone miss Saga saying this later in the game?
m9mN32A.png

Like... seriously? in a finnish game full where 75% of characters are finnish?
Nowhere in the game earlier it is established she had problems with white people before.

I kinda cringed in the moment, not gonna lie. oh video games escapism...
In fact politics are so fkd that I am almost afraid complaining anything about her.

Generally, her character Is a bit of a mary sue:
She fights off Darkness influence in 20 minutes. Alan had to take 13 years and she just decides "nah, it's just my insecurities talking to me, I am fine".
And she just walks out.
And they turn Alan into victim another time. blah blah it's all his fault. eh... dlc bait I guess.
I liked her character and chapters. but her last chapter in darkness was so annoying "I am such a bad mother blah blah blah"
Bitch you know how this works and you still think it's your fault?
And they make you go through 20 minutes of just self exposition.

edit: ohhh ok notices someone else also noticed this was out of place above!

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Did no one here play the first game? It had Alice (a white woman) refer to Alan as a "rich and pathetic white man".

If anything, the line in AW2 is basically a callback to that. lmao

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys, take the culture war stuff to the relevant topic. Let's not junk the game discussion with it please.

adamsapple

Can we talk about how good the soundtrack is? Particularly at building & breaking tension

The sound design in general is really good. Playing with a set of decent headphones and I have been startled more than a few times by ambient sound or something falling elsewhere.

I'd put it right up there next to Dead Space for fantastic environmental / ambient audio design.

HDM

FYI I was able to get past it thanks to some comments from Reddit and Era.

Basically this is what I did:

- Make a save before leaving the morgue and triggering the boss fight.
- After the boss, only communicate the essential dialogues with the agents, get the manuscript from the broken cell and the one that spawns next to your car at night time.
- Get the key from Estevez, go to the cell, collect all the clues and analyze everything.
- The thing that is the progress breaker here is that you need to get a deduction about profiling Tor for "Trusting Wake".
- If you get the above after analyzing, good (but you're still not out of the woods), if you don't get the above profiling option, reload your save.
- Assuming you got the above, keep profiling and analyzing until you get the option to talk to Estevez about the clicker.
- This is the second point where the game broke for me before.
- Provided it goes well, Estevez's conversation will open up another deduction point on your board about how you can use the clicker.

If you did all that, you will get the "are you sure you want to continue?" prompt and the game will progress as intended.

All the steps above might not be required, that's just the headcanon I had to go through to finally get out of that broken scripting problem.

Hopefully they fix it with a patch soon.

Thanks for the help :messenger_heart:, unfortunately the only manual save i have is blocked. (At first I didn't realize it was a bug, and kept on wandering around, so the 2 autosave slot are dead too)

I'll wait a few days for a possible update and then I'll start again, using the 3 manual slots this time.

Last edited:
I have no idea what you're talking about. Haven't been offended by a single thing, just pointing out how silly people like yourself are who wanna cry "game is racist toward whites!" over one single line. You certainly continue to prove my point about how sensitive you are though :)

Not gonna weasel yourself out of this one bro. You are insulting an entire race because you got assmad about people expressing their opinions on a gaming forum about woke pandering. Absolute airhead who still pretends in 2023 that that stuff doesn't exist. Get the fuck outta here.

Macaron

Banned
Not gonna weasel yourself out of this one bro. You are insulting an entire race because you got assmad about people expressing their opinions on a gaming forum about woke pandering. Absolute airhead who still pretends in 2023 that that stuff doesn't exist. Get the fuck outta here.
lol. You keep fighting the good fight against racism towards whites my man 🫡

phant0m

The sound design in general is really good. Playing with a set of decent headphones and I have been startled more than a few times by ambient sound or something falling elsewhere.

I'd put it right up there next to Dead Space for fantastic environmental / ambient audio design.
100% agree. Been playing with my atmos setup (why I got it on PS5 instead of PC) and have gotten startled good a few times. But the audio atmosphere really sucks you in, esp combined with the visual presentation.

You can't be this naïve. The character Saga Anderson was race-changed. You claim there is no evidence of 'wokeness' whilst hand-waving away the direct evidence. You then, quite rightly, acknowledge the fact that unnecessary modern-day sensitivities have been catered for. There are numerous instances of pandering throughout the game, clearly demonstrated in the video you initially didn't watch. I lost hope when you advocated for the necessity of a 'sensitivity' reader. Tell me something, did the greatest games of all time from the 90s or 2000s require a 'sensitivity' reader?
one of the top 10 questions of the 21st century: 'how have we even managed to survive all this time without sensitivity readers?'...

Jump scares in movies rarely work for me, but they're really well done in this game. They almost always pop up when something new and strange grabs your attention, you're trying to compute what you're seeing so you're suddenly hyperfocused and then BAM. It doesn't feel cheap because it actually works to throw you off balance for a purpose.

Assaulty

I was enjoying the entire game and it was on its way to be my favorite single player game of all time

But the last hour and the ending are so shit that it kind of soured a good bit of the experience for me. Its not a loop, its a spiral was so forced and cringe

sinnergy

Uh wow , boss chapter 2, chapter 3 beginning , holy shit at the graphics , gave me Hellblade 2 vibes of detail .. wtf

Last edited:

adamsapple

Post Initiation chapter 9. Late game.

I am giddy that they brought back the original Alan Wake 1 music with the real Alan now in the real world again

Last edited:

ikbalCO

cynthia fight is just bad and incredibly buggy.

Also what the fuck is a teenagers stay at a bunker weekend?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The scene about Alice's last massage and footage of her killing herself was terrifying.....once you beat the game we know she is not really dead, she just went back to Dark place....but still that moment was hunting.

Last edited:

SCB3

So deep into Chapter 3 and

What the fuck! The burnt out Train Car was pure horror

Where was this in Alan Wake 1, it feels like a new IP in a lot of ways, it makes me crave a New Control with these new Mechanics and beats

Hugare

I'm still loving the game, but man, the framerate is rough sometimes (PS5)

Feels like low 20-ish when playing in the woods with Saga. The Coffee World section, oof.

Dont think I've experience framerate like this on the PS5 before. Maybe with the Matrix Awakens only.

Game looks bonkers, but the price for these visuals is clear.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Control was excellent for that too. I've found all of their games to have excellent sound design right back to the original Max Payne. When you're going through the apartment blocks in Payne you can hear all sorts of ambient sounds.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was enjoying the entire game and it was on its way to be my favorite single player game of all time

But the last hour and the ending are so shit that it kind of soured a good bit of the experience for me. Its not a loop, its a spiral was so forced and cringe
yeah. Good hour of "in mind" exposition crap over and over and over. If it was at least interestingly said and not just a face. Not even animating face lol.
And the ending sucks donkeys

T4keD0wN

Just finished it
The build up to the ending as Sega is starting to reflect with the text on board when you hover over time images was dope, but the ending itself was pretty anticlimatic and resolved nothing, but if this means we get more story as dlcs i wont complain too much, buts its pretty disappointing

How have they not released the music video yet? Yesterday was too late. (if it exists someone kindly direct me to it)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just finished it
The build up to the ending as Sega is starting to reflect with the text on board when you hover over time images was dope, but the ending itself was pretty anticlimatic and resolved nothing, but if this means we get more story as dlcs i wont complain too much, buts its pretty disappointing

How have they not released the music video yet? Yesterday was too late. (if it exists someone kindly direct me to it)
It basically ended exactly like the first game did but this time it’s not loop, it’s spiral.

Feels like low 20-ish when playing in the woods with Saga. The Coffee World section, oof.

Dont think I've experience framerate like this on the PS5 before. Maybe with the Matrix Awakens only.

Yup. Not only bad frame rate but bad frame times. Feels very sluggish to play at times.

adamsapple

JtiiJgT.jpg

(y)

9/10 in general.

7/10 because I almost refunded the game when I got stuck in a nearly-game-breaking bug. Had to brute force the same segment half a dozen times before I was able to pass it.

Fantastic experience marred by launch window bugs, which will no doubt be ironed out in a month or so.

decisions

Are you playing in Quality mode? Quality mode sucks. Performance mode is a much better trade off IMO since the IQ in Quality is not good either, might as well take the mostly consistent 60fps.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m on Return 3. 8 hours. Is this game going to turn into RDR2? I want to keep going, but I kinda wanna know if I have 10 hours or 15 hours left?

ikbalCO

I’m on Return 3. 8 hours. Is this game going to turn into RDR2? I want to keep going, but I kinda wanna know if I have 10 hours or 15 hours left?
You are about at the start of mid game. The game is about 18 hours or so i believe.

The game will turn in to silent hill, twin peaks, shining, true detective but noy rdr2 no worries :)

ikbalCO

Yeah, its very inconsistent. i am playing on ps5 with quality mode and there are times where this game looks bonkers, me and my cousin sending each other screenshots but sometimes fps is all over the place, its fuzzy, blurry, looks out of focus etc.

Data Ghost

Loving the game so far, but still quite early on. The atmosphere is so good with the audio and visuals combined. Although I am confused by the chapter names like Chapter 3 Initiation 1 (fake example). What's that all about?!

Also, while I consider myself a balanced person when it comes to racism, wokeness etc, I am very shocked by the line that everyone has been talking about. I think it only fosters hatred. Can you even imagine if it said something like 'another black m****r f****r' for example! As a white person myself (shame on me I know) with respect for every living thing on this planet, why should I have to accept such one sided dialogue like that? Because of slavery way back in history or some other reason?

Personally I think that line should be patched to remove the 'white' reference, there's no need for it and it disappoints me that by adding this they have given a particular slant to Saga's character. There would have been absolute uproar if it was targeted any anyone other than an evil old white person.

Last edited:

Hugare

Loving the game so far, but still quite early on. The atmosphere is so good with the audio and visuals combined. Although I am confused by the chapter names like Chapter 3 Initiation 1 (fake example). What's that all about?!

Also, while I consider myself a balanced person when it comes to racism, wokeness etc, I am very shocked by the line that everyone has been talking about. I think it only fosters hatred. Can you even imagine if it said something like 'another black m****r f****r' for example! As a white person myself (shame on me I know) with respect for every living thing on this planet, why should I have to accept such one sided dialogue like that? Because of slavery way back in history or some other reason?

Personally I think that line should be patched to remove the 'white' reference, there's no need for it and it disappoints me that by adding this they have given a particular slant to Saga's character. There would have been absolute uproar if it was targeted any anyone other than an evil old white person.
Initiation are the Alan chapters, while Returning are the Saga ones. They are counted separately, so you may get to chapter 6 on initiation while also being at chapter 4 on returning.

And about the line, I get you, I feel the same way. But I'm conflicted, 'cause while I think people should really discuss about it and make it known, even reaching the devs about it so we could have something better in the future, I also dont want it taking center of the discussion about this game.

'Cause its so much more than that one line

Are you playing in Quality mode? Quality mode sucks. Performance mode is a much better trade off IMO since the IQ in Quality is not good either, might as well take the mostly consistent 60fps.

I dont mind about resolution so much (I use a 1080p monitor) but the other settings being downgraded like foliage and etc. is hard to swallow

Data Ghost

Initiation are the Alan chapters, while Returning are the Saga ones. They are counted separately, so you may get to chapter 6 on initiation while also being at chapter 4 on returning.

And about the line, I get you, I feel the same way. But I'm conflicted, 'cause while I think people should really discuss about it and make it known, even reaching the devs about it so we could have something better in the future, I also dont want it taking center of the discussion about this game.

'Cause its so much more than that one line

I dont mind about resolution so much (I use a 1080p monitor) but the other settings being downgraded like foliage and etc. is hard to swallow
Ah got you on the chapters, thanks :)

Agreed about the line of dialogue, I don't want it to overshadow the discussion of such a fantastic game either so I won't be engaging in any more conversation about it. Instead I'll drop Remedy an email directly and see if they respond.

Can't wait to dive back in after work and immerse myself in the world of Alan Wake.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Guys, take the culture war stuff to the relevant topic. Let's not junk the game discussion with it please.

The thread got locked, so i will leave the meme here

PeXSLrS.jpg

Top Bottom