• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare |OT| Not a lake, a primordial ocean.

ShinAmano

B
I thought that way too, and it is mind you, but I said "Screw it" and started pushing on the offensive. I actually started surviving till dawn this way instead of moistly just trying to run.

I thought the regular levels were easy...but would love tips on nightmare mode.

I thought that way too, and it is mind you, but I said "Screw it" and started pushing on the offensive. I actually started surviving till dawn this way instead of moistly just trying to run.

I've only tried it once and died with 28 seconds left on the clock :(

Involved a lot of running away from enemies that were seemingly faster than I was!

Grisby

B

I thought the regular levels were easy...but would love tips on nightmare mode.
Yeah, the regular's were pretty easy. On nightmare you have to plan a bit more and make liberal use of the healing lights (as least I did). Also when I was in dire need of ammo and it was getting hairy I'd drop a flare to give myself time to reload or pick up what I needed to pick up.

Also, some guns like the magnum have a chance of taking out two enemies with one bullet.

mozfan12

Banned
Just finished the game... Man I just loved it, even the backtracking was not bad at all. Alan Wake is one of those few franchises that has a world that I love playing in. I wanted to extend it as much as possible but I was hooked. Its wierd but one if my favorite moments from any game this generation was just sitting in and listening to those radio conversations in both Alan Wake and American Nightmare. As a child, I would constantly go to my grandpas ranch and at night we would listen to the radio. The game captures that kind of solitude and eery feeling that I use to get when the only thing you can hear is the raspy sound of the radio.

I also loved that they continued with the tradition of utilizing licensed music in the most excellent manner.

Keep em' coming!

aDDiKt24

Banned
Disappointed with the lack of episodic structure. Disappointed with the use of music - I loved Kasabian but hated the "psycho" songs timing. It was terrible.

I felt the pacing was way off. Story wasn't really there, or as awesome as it really could have been in that setting. Story needs to go darker. I always see the charming crazy side of mr scratch but never the dark side. I felt as if he was acting while watching the tvs, where I should have felt as if he was communicating with me (Alan).

The world is still great even though I prefer the Forrests. Disappointed by lack of discovery throughout the levels. Why couldn't I access a few more Rooms in the motel? Where was the reception of the motel? Drive in was great, especially seeing footage on the big screen.

Overall I feel it could have been a lot better. Alan Wake s meant to be an award winning writer and if he is writing all of this there should be better pacing, build up to climax and mystery. As someone that is interested in Alan Wake because of the story I was let down. Hopefully next time they give the fans what they truly want and deserve Alan Wake 2 Emergence.

Finished the SP earlier and I loved every second of it. More of this please, Remedy. I really do hope they plan on releasing some DLC episodes as well as some AA maps.

Seriously, that moment when you're at 9x multiplier and some asshole "touches" you from "dafuqwhere" (usually from behind/side) is sooooooooooooooooooooo frustrating!!! ... am I alone in this?

Wizpig

Just finished it; at first i didn't like it quite a lot, but by the end i was in love - it's Alan Wake, after all.
Such a great series.

I still say "wow" at every light effect, damn it... they are so good sometimes.

Other than that my major problem is that replay value is 0, do you at least unlock Nightmare mode? i didn't check.
I know that there are Nightmare levels in Arcade, but i mean in the story mode. not that i have something left to do... :(

And, yeah, while we're at it... Arcade mode is fun at first, but the way you get multiplier is dumb and exploitable: i don't need this mode in another AW game.

Now... AW 2 retail plz.
<3

edit. that
Deer stuff was... eh... what... was it?

Unfortunately my retail copy is no longer with me, and my Games on Demand version doesn't have it I don't think :(

I can't really afford to buy the DLC right now anyway, but have American Nightmare waiting to be started (in fact I'm playing the arcade mode right now, game feels so polished!)

Zoibie

Finished this about a week ago, I think I've had more than my fill of the game; I don't have any desire to play the horde mode or go back over the story environments another 3 times.

That said, I really enjoyed it: I'm still thoroughly invested in Remedy's fiction and I can't wait to see where they take it next (Alan Wake may be my favourite story this generation.) The added variety in weapon and enemy combat was much welcomed and the choice of music throughout the game was spot on. Playing the same environments 3 times however did get pretty tiring; replaying it once would have been sufficient.

Damn, may just risk it anyway then - bit bored at the moment.

signal isn't that great, it's very combat heavy and generally a big disappointment, but it should probably played for the little slivers of narrative they forced into it.

personally, i'd just yt the cut-scenes from it and go straight into writer.

NinjaBoiX

I just finished the campaign, really good fun, but three environments repeated three times felt like a bit of a swizz. I suppose with horde mode thrown in it's still good value.

Quick question about the manuscript pages, I only missed "Emma Sloan" from the Rest Stop, and "Mr Scratch's Trap" and "The Plan" from the Drive-In. I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere, are these only available in Nightmare or something?

Wizpig

Quick question about the manuscript pages, I only missed "Emma Sloan" from the Rest Stop, and "Mr Scratch's Trap" and "The Plan" from the Drive-In. I'm pretty sure I looked everywhere, are these only available in Nightmare or something?
The game only has one difficulty level, every page is findable in the first run.

Keep searching and pay attention to the mini map.

Tokubetsu

Really torn on this. Just got 1000MS points and I'm not sure if I should get this or Shoot Many RObots. Big Alan Wake fan here, but thats mainly for the story, characters and setting. I'm sure I'd end up liking this but idk if I want to drop the full $15 on this or wait for a sale (and PC version two years from now...)

Really torn on this. Just got 1000MS points and I'm not sure if I should get this or Shoot Many RObots. Big Alan Wake fan here, but thats mainly for the story, characters and setting. I'm sure I'd end up liking this but idk if I want to drop the full $15 on this or wait for a sale (and PC version two years from now...)
This game is amazing and, IMHO, worth even more than 1200MSP.
The story is great and provides some nice info about AW1 and a few possible pointers about AW2.
The Arcade mode itself is a huge part of the game where you can spend hours upon hours chasing your friends on the leaderboards, etc.

In the end, it's your money, but I suggest you get the game, especially if you're a big Alan Wake fan.

Bluth54

Alan Wake was one of my favorite games of the generation due to the story, characters, setting and atmosphere. All those things take a major back seat to the combat in American Nightmare. The combat is improved quite a bit from the first game due to new weapons and more enemy variety, but the combat isn't why I loved Alan Wake.

As IvanI mentioned the story does provide some info on Alan Wake a few hints to the future of the series, but not all that many.

I was looking forward to American Nightmare more then just about any game coming out this year and I was very disappointed with the direction Remedy took with the game.

You seem to like Alan Wake for the same reasons I do, and I would be willing to bet you'll be disappointed by American Nightmare.

I was looking forward to American Nightmare more then just about any game coming out this year and I was very disappointed with the direction Remedy took with the game.
From the very first day that they officialy announced the game, they said that this is a DIFFERENT game and SETTING than that of Alan Wake.
Sam Lake said something in the line of: "Alan Wake was about horror, dread and that Stephen King feeling. American Nightmare is about pulp action adventure, think Tarantino..."
And we got exactly that. We all knew what we were getting. If you don't like it, I respect that.

You seem to like Alan Wake for the same reasons I do, and I would be willing to bet you'll be disappointed by American Nightmare.
Let him try and then decide. If you didn't like it, doesn't mean he won't. ;)

Montresor

I just beat the main story, and I was really impressed. There are so many cool moments in the game: the radio shows, the TV shows, the drive-in cinema's screen when the power comes back on, Kasabian playing in the background at the end of the first level, etc... <3 Mr. Scratch was a good villain, the combat was much better than in the original, and I also love the use of the "Night Springs" narrator.

I enjoyed the change of pace. Alan Wake was very linear, while American Nightmare has bigger, open worlds with plenty of backtracking.

I'm having so much trouble with arcade mode. =( I think I'll be stuck at 120/200 because I'm close to giving up. A shame since I got every achievement in the original and wanted to do the same with the XBLA version.

derFeef

That was amazing!

edit: Alan Wake 2 might be farer away than we might think and want it to be :(

Remedy Entertainment is looking for world-class talent to work on an unannounced project targeted at future generation consoles. Interested in being part of a team on the very brink of creating the games of the future?
http://www.remedygames.com/jobs

(there is a thread about this, but I am putting this in because I am now sad)

That was amazing!

edit: Alan Wake 2 might be farer away than we might think and want it to be :(

http://www.remedygames.com/jobs

(there is a thread about this, but I am putting this in because I am now sad)

tumblr_m1a5jgPmez1qe1nqu.gif

Was Sam Lake dressed as Max? Too dark to tell for sure, but he's got the jacket, a button shirt with some kind of design and the white shirt underneath.

Great video, though part of me was hoping it'd wrap up with "coming soon to PC." :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished the game, finally, this afternoon! Don't know what took me so long to finish it, such a good good game! In a lot of ways I enjoyed this more than the original, but the original was so long ago, that I don't remember in what ways this game is better. I know that I enjoyed the combat more in this game, but does anyone remember what it is that makes it so much better? Are there better weapons in this game than the original?

Based on how much I enjoyed this game, I kinda want to go back and play the original, never got into that DLC. But the story is just soooo freaking weird and doesn't make a lick of sense.

The only thing I didn't like about American Nightmare is the story made no fing sense. But it doesn't matter because Mr.Scratch was a REALLY good bad guy! I love the TV FMVs, totally creepy and made Mr.Scratch that much more sinister. I only wish that Alan would've actually reacted to watching those...

By far my most favorite downloadable game on XBLive next to Super Meat Boy!

gdt

Um, is it just me, or does this game look fantastic? This is coming from a pc gamer, this game is stunning to me. Especially for a XBLA title. Only thing is weird tearing on everyone who isn't Alan.

Do I get a chance to go back and explore the first area? I didn't get a warning before I picked up a key and got swept out of there.

Um, is it just me, or does this game look fantastic? This is coming from a pc gamer, this game is stunning to me. Especially for a XBLA title. Only thing is weird tearing on everyone who isn't Alan.
the game looks amazing. Remedy really outdid itself on this one. It's a huge improvement over Alan Wake, which was also a great looking game, IMHO. But they had 2yrs to improve on the engine and it shows.
Do I get a chance to go back and explore the first area? I didn't get a warning before I picked up a key and got swept out of there.
Don't worry, just play the game, you'll get back to it.

derFeef

Remedy's CM left today for a job in a game studio in Germany - but he left us with this neat message :)

Now I should mention that me leaving has nothing to do with Remedy -- seriously the future is AWESOME. I cannot be more proud of the team with what they're doing and once they start talking about the next thing I'm sure you'll feel the same as I do now. As a fan, trust me when I say the future is golden - sparkling golden, with freakin' tinsels on top!

Good luck duder!

http://community.remedygames.com/showthread.php?p=151165

Fezan

Finally finished American nightmare and i am dissapointed after listening to all the praise even more than Alan awake.Lets do pros and cons

Pros
+more variety in enemy
+really open environment
+variety of weapon
+shooting feels satisfying
+Mr sketchy and whoever did the role did an excellent work
+Faces are no longer creepy and lip synch is better

Cons
-Almost no story
-no tense moments
-instead of psychological thriller its an action game now
-you feel overpowered
-Alan awake turns drake
-bad level design and very predictable enemy encounters
-Graphics took a hit(played both on Pc)
-Recycling events not once but twice
-Arizona setting not as interesting as bright falls.

i not outright hated the game.its not even a bad game but its just another TPS now.If this is future Alan wake is heading to than count me out.

Fabrik

Banned
Someone mentioned Groundhog Day and American Nightmare in the same sentence in the GOTY thread. Can someone explain to me how? I love this kind of stuff like in Majora's Mask.

Chinner

Banned
*poops on fezans comments above* lol alan is now drake. nice troll.

anyway, i've just completed this after buying from the steam sale. it was a great experience, and they've basically taken all the good elements from alan wake and improved upon them, while stripping away the bad elements and replacing them with better alternatives.

after this, i am now excited about alan wake 2!

Top Bottom