• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

Ristifer

Come to think of it a prison wife would be amazing. Conjugal visits but none of the nagging at home.
george costanza wink GIF

HoodWinked

so bizarre apparently the evidence was filed under a different case number so because of that technicality the trial gets dismissed with prejudice and because of double jeopardy he can't even be retried.

this shit is a joke.

PUNKem733

The american legal system (well most american systems) is one of the biggest jokes around. To not punish someone, because the evidence was wrongly filed is...LMAO really.

so bizarre apparently the evidence was filed under a different case number so because of that technicality the trial gets dismissed with prejudice and because of double jeopardy he can't even be retried.

this shit is a joke.

Technicality? Its getting dismissed because the evidence was never turned over to the defense and stashed away under a different case number.

In the morning, Morrissey had described the motion as a “wild goose chase” and said she had never before seen the report about the ammunition brought to the sheriff’s office. But as the judge questioned Hancock, the corporal said that Morrissey had taken part in the decision to keep the evidence separate from the Rust case – which elicited gasps in the courtroom.

She even tried to hide the fact that she hid the evidence.

Last edited:

dave_d

You can't have a fair trial if the prosecution can hide evidence that would allow you to exculpate yourself.
Oh you’re talking about a Brady disclosure. Yeah that’s kind of a big thing you can’t hide evidence. (Hell the fact they have to do this was literally in my cousin vinnie so not an obscure thing. )

Ecotic

I've just never understood why someone can escape serious charges just because proper procedure wasn't followed in the trial. Shouldn't it just mean the trial is invalidated and a new trial with a new jury should occur, in the interests of justice?

Yeah, I understand the purpose behind double jeopardy, but these are cases where a trial was never completed in the first place. So technically they're not being tried twice if the first one was nullified.

Z O N E

this shit is a joke.

Uhh what? It was PURPOSELY stashed under a different case number and was never turned over to the defence.

Anyone with a sliver of a brain knew that this was powerplay by the DA for some stupid reason.

KrakenIPA

I've just never understood why someone can escape serious charges just because proper procedure wasn't followed in the trial. Shouldn't it just mean the trial is invalidated and a new trial with a new jury should occur, in the interests of justice?

Yeah, I understand the purpose behind double jeopardy, but these are cases where a trial was never completed in the first place. So technically they're not being tried twice if the first one was nullified.
Maybe it can go to civil trial and the victim's family can get some kind of closure (and the press can get their pound of flesh)? I'm not sure. I'm very surprised this case unraveled for the prosecution.

He’s absolutely needed to be charged and convicted. He did something inherently dangerous, likely to cause serious injury or death (pointing a gun at somebody), which actually led to serious injury and death. That’s textbook involuntary manslaughter.
He’s an actor in a western supplied a gun by an ‘expert’. There’s no way he’s responsible… it’s absurd. It would be like a restaurant supplier poisons some meat and charging the chef because he served it to someone without knowing

TDiddyLive

He’s an actor in a western supplied a gun by an ‘expert’. There’s no way he’s responsible… it’s absurd. It would be like a restaurant supplier poisons some meat and charging the chef because he served it to someone without knowing
Terrible analogy. A gun is designed to be a lethal tool, while a piece of meat is designed to be consumed. Nobody looks at every piece of meat they’re given thinking, “I wonder if this can kill someone?” Which is exactly the attitude needed when being handed a firearm.

A better analogy would be somebody driving a sports car in a reckless manner, which would make people think, “I wonder if this can kill someone?” Which would be the right attitude, as killing someone while driving in a reckless matter can lead to charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Terrible analogy. A gun is designed to be a lethal tool, while a piece of meat is designed to be consumed. Nobody looks at every piece of meat they’re given thinking, “I wonder if this can kill someone?” Which is exactly the attitude needed when being handed a firearm.

A better analogy would be somebody driving a sports car in a reckless manner, which would make people think, “I wonder if this can kill someone?” Which would be the right attitude, as killing someone while driving in a reckless matter can lead to charges of involuntary manslaughter.

Ridiculous take. Reckless driving is illegal in the first place. An actor firing a weapon provided to them by a weapon expert on a film set is not.

Z O N E

He was handed a weapon by the armorer who is the person in charge of weapons on movie sets. The armorer never mentioned there was live ammunition in the gun.

It's not his responsibility to make sure the gun is safe for use, that is literally the job of the armorer.

Also, another actor on set "Jensen Ackles" ALSO had live bullets that he was NOT aware of in his bandolier.

This is entirely the armorer's fault.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
The prosecution was so blatantly corrupt and incompetent that the conspiracy theorist in me begins to stir. I guess a few years of discomfort is all the punishment Alec'll ever get. I doubt for one second he has any actual remorse. He totally sees himself as the victim.

KrakenIPA

If there is ever a movie made about this debacle i hope for damn sure they have a good armorer crew on the set that understands the danger of live ammo being in the same area as blank ammo.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I've never seen this before but why did the DA put herself in for cross-examination? Was it a last ditch effort to salvage the case?

BlackTron

He’s absolutely needed to be charged and convicted. He did something inherently dangerous, likely to cause serious injury or death (pointing a gun at somebody), which actually led to serious injury and death. That’s textbook involuntary manslaughter.

Can you tell me your opinion on what we should do about it every time we see an actor point a gun at someone in a movie?

I'm not being cute or facetious here. 100% dead serious. I would appreciate to know your take.

BlackTron

I've never seen this before but why did the DA put herself in for cross-examination? Was it a last ditch effort to salvage the case?

She got defensive after being called out as a liar and wanted to salvage her credibility. "I was not aware at that time the case numbers would not be linked" yeah whatever

KrakenIPA

I don't really see how Baldwin faces any criminal charges here. The studio and/or whoever's job it is to manage these props? Absolutely. I can see them both facing lawsuits and possible criminal charges, but the actor himself? At most I see him getting charged and the charges being dropped or him found not guilty.

It's just a tragedy. I feel for the family of the woman and I feel for the actor.
I remember this post because it was the first time I realized that Nobody_Important is usually right about stuff.

RaduN

As much as it has been debated on who did what, it is still absurd for Alec Baldwin to be held responsible in a criminal case.
It is 100% the armourer's fault, plain and simple.

The most this tragedy can do, is drastically change the law of weapons (on the set), but any way you look at it, it is hard to make up the rules where the actor, the actor (look up the definition) should be a certified damn expert.

All that can be done is completely ban real guns in Hollywood movies (oh, the irony there) and make all gun scenes CGI.

BlackTron

John Travolta should have had life in prison for this.
3eCIMM.gif

Obviously, it's just a movie and it was planned for the kid to get his head exploded. But the part where Travolta was pointing an actual gun at a real actor was extremely unsafe. Any self-respecting, law-abiding sharpshooter knows you never point a gun at another person unless you intend to kill, especially prop guns prepared by an armorer on a movie set, because you respect Real Power.

KrakenIPA

As much as it has been debated on who did what, it is still absurd for Alec Baldwin to be held responsible in a criminal case.

The most this tragedy can do, is drastically change the law of weapons (on the set), but any way you look at it, it is hard to make up the rules where the actor, the actor (look up the definition) should be a certified damn expert.

All that can be done is completely ban real guns in Hollywood movies (oh, the irony there) and make all gun scenes CGI.
I think upon George Miller's Mad Max works, the idea of a director that uses "character points gun at character" so much in a script/screenplay. Also QT and John Woo, I suppose.

TDiddyLive

Can you tell me your opinion on what we should do about it every time we see an actor point a gun at someone in a movie?

I'm not being cute or facetious here. 100% dead serious. I would appreciate to know your take.
Pretty simple. Verify the condition of the weapon any time it is handed to you. Just like any person in any situation would be expected to do. Not sure? Ask the armorer, and have them explain. The people having the gun pointed at them should verify as well. Would not take long at all.

BlackTron

I think he has a bigger problem because he's also producer. It makes him responsible for the whole operation. That's why the evidence is so noteworthy, it shows that the live ammo came from the prop company.

Both the prop company and the armorer failed. Because it is his movie and he fired the shot, there were certainly enough questions to have to go to court.

I would have found it sad and bizarre if he had to accept liability. It was a tragedy that occured during the normal course of performing his duties due to the neglect of other parties. Even the notion of pointing the gun at the camera -of course he is. Ever watch a movie before?

Pretty simple. Verify the condition of the weapon any time it is handed to you. Just like any person in any situation would be expected to do. Not sure? Ask the armorer, and have them explain. The people having the gun pointed at them should verify as well. Would not take long at all.
Sure lets expect lindsey lohan to exercise more caution and training than the actual military.

‘Ms Lohan please inpect these blank bullets and confirm they are not real bullets. Theres 9 of them, could be anyone one of them, inspect them carefully and sign this form that says youre responsible for them.’

Ffs people.

Last edited:

BlackTron

You didn't answer my question lol

BlackTron

First since you aren't going to, I'll address your assertion that you're automatically bad for pointing a gun at someone, since you just gave a condition that makes it acceptable.

So, since the actors job is to act, they have people named armorers whose job it is to handle weapons. When the gun was handed to Baldwin it was verbally confirmed safe. This is standard process. They neither deviated from this process nor did you bother to find out what happened first.

KrakenIPA

First since you aren't going to, I'll address your assertion that you're automatically bad for pointing a gun at someone, since you just gave a condition that makes it acceptable.

So, since the actors job is to act, they have people named armorers whose job it is to handle weapons. When the gun was handed to Baldwin it was verbally confirmed safe. This is standard process. They neither deviated from this process nor did you bother to find out what happened first.
I've handled blank rounds at the same time as live rounds, and it was a different vibe when the gun was locked and loaded with either of the two. It certainly wasn't easy for me to pull the trigger for either.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Obviously, it's just a movie and it was planned for the kid to get his head exploded. But the part where Travolta was pointing an actual gun at a real actor was extremely unsafe. Any self-respecting, law-abiding sharpshooter knows you never point a gun at another person unless you intend to kill, especially prop guns prepared by an armorer on a movie set, because you respect Real Power.

Not sure if I'm having a McBain moment...
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

It's not clear that Travolta pointed a gun at anyone. It's certainly not in frame and I don't think Phil LaMarr is even seen again after his last line and the camera cuts to Travolta. I don't know anything about the actual filming, but it doesn't seem that pointing the gun at a real person was necessary, and I don't see any evidence that it happened.

TDiddyLive

You didn't answer my question lol
That 100% answered your question. Don’t point guns at other people on set until everyone knows the condition of the weapon.

If everyone verified the gun is safe, then no, you’re not automatically bad for pointing a weapon at somebody. As for standard process, plenty of actors came out when this incident first occurred advising standard practice was the armorer would show the actor the condition of the weapon then advise why it is safe.
Sure lets expect lindsey lohan to exercise more caution and training than the actual military.

‘Ms Lohan please inpect these blank bullets and confirm they are not real bullets. Theres 9 of them, could be anyone one of them, inspect them carefully and sign this form that says youre responsible for them.’

Ffs people.
Thats right, completely ignore the part of my post that you quoted where I said not sure? Ask the armorer.

That 100% answered your question. Don’t point guns at other people on set until everyone knows the condition of the weapon.

If everyone verified the gun is safe, then no, you’re not automatically bad for pointing a weapon at somebody. As for standard process, plenty of actors came out when this incident first occurred advising standard practice was the armorer would show the actor the condition of the weapon then advise why it is safe.

Thats right, completely ignore the part of my post that you quoted where I said not sure? Ask the armorer.
Ok they asked the armourer and a person gets shot dead on set. Who goes to jail?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
In a podcast I listen to, a TV producer explained that before using a gun with blanks, the armourer would firstly prepare the weapon, declare it safe when handing it to the actor who would be firing it, and the actor would then check it themselves and would show it to other participants in the scene. The producer stressed that this sort of check would take place with weapons that were mostly harmless, giving the example of a crossbow that couldn't fire a bolt, iirc.

I don't agree with the argument that I've seen, that he's an actor, it's not his job. Training should and is part of the safety process on many productions.

All this stuff about a gun is never pointed at a person is easily debunked, it happens on camera in loads of films and tv shows.

Aside from the armourer's failings, the big problem here is Baldwin's status - industry veteran, household name, and producer on the production. His status would give him ample opportunity to set the tone and dictate the pace at which scenes were prepped and filmed.

There's no doubt that the armourer is at fault for handing over a live weapon, but if Baldwin had felt that it was appropriate to take the time to double check the weapon when handed it, as outlined by the producer I mention, then the outcome could have been different.

I would expect that would be the line that action against him would take, and tbh, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to investigate if other people on the production felt that Baldwin had rushed the process.

mansoor1980

In a podcast I listen to, a TV producer explained that before using a gun with blanks, the armourer would firstly prepare the weapon, declare it safe when handing it to the actor who would be firing it, and the actor would then check it themselves and would show it to other participants in the scene. The producer stressed that this sort of check would take place with weapons that were mostly harmless, giving the example of a crossbow that couldn't fire a bolt, iirc.

I don't agree with the argument that I've seen, that he's an actor, it's not his job. Training should and is part of the safety process on many productions.

All this stuff about a gun is never pointed at a person is easily debunked, it happens on camera in loads of films and tv shows.

Aside from the armourer's failings, the big problem here is Baldwin's status - industry veteran, household name, and producer on the production. His status would give him ample opportunity to set the tone and dictate the pace at which scenes were prepped and filmed.

There's no doubt that the armourer is at fault for handing over a live weapon, but if Baldwin had felt that it was appropriate to take the time to double check the weapon when handed it, as outlined by the producer I mention, then the outcome could have been different.

I would expect that would be the line that action against him would take, and tbh, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to investigate if other people on the production felt that Baldwin had rushed the process.
reasonable post , no pun intended

Top Bottom