• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alec Baldwin Kills Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins With Real Gun

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
There’s no world in which you’re absolved of responsibility by hiring someone incompetent to handle things just because you hired them.
In order for this line of reasoning to hold up in court you would have to prove that Baldwin knew the person was not qualified for the job or that they had a history of safety related incidents and then knowingly hired him anyway. If the person was highly recommended with a spotless record or had the illusion of one then Baldwin is not at fault for hiring someone he thought to be qualified for the job.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In order for this line of reasoning to hold up in court you would have to prove that Baldwin knew the person was not qualified for the job or that they had a history of safety related incidents and then knowingly hired him anyway. If the person was highly recommended with a spotless record or had the illusion of one then Baldwin is not at fault for hiring someone he thought to be qualified for the job.
Everyone involved is responsible, even the last man to hold the firearm and pulling the trigger.

Azurro

Banned
Applying your own horrible logic to the situation, the kids lost his mother because she took for granted that cold weapon on set actually meant cold weapon on set. She stood directly behind the camera that was being aimed at because like everyone else, she trusted the competence of the armorer.

How is it her fault that Baldwin didn't follow basic gun safety procedures? Even if the armorer tells him it's not loaded, you don't fucking point a gun at a human being, blank or not. That IS his responsibility and being an actor that has been in action movies, he SHOULD know that.

I don't understand, do you like his tweets so much that it's ok that a kid lost his mom because of his incompetence and negligence?

Jeeves

The prop master that responsible for ensuring the gun is safe to use by alec has declare the gun is safe to uses by actor ( alec)

The actors ( alec) have been told the gun is ready to use and are given the permission to perform the act then proceed to use the gun acordingly to his script

The one at fault here are the prop master and not the actors
Still gotta check it again yourself. Incredibly basic safety here.

Thaedolus

Funnily enough it was only the chick’s second job and there were incidents prior to the fatality, so it’s hard to think there weren’t some red flags here

Nobody_Important

Funnily enough it was only the chick’s second job and there were incidents prior to the fatality, so it’s hard to think there weren’t some red flags here
I guess we will find out when the investigation is over and whether or not Baldwin is charged with anything.

It’s not an opinion, it’s literally in the rules and oversight that was enacted in Hollywood since the Brandon Lee incident.
If you are correct then Baldwin will be appropriately charged and have a chance to defend himself and his actions in court.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I guess we will find out when the investigation is over and whether or not Baldwin is charged with anything.

If you are correct then Baldwin will be appropriately charged and have a chance to defend himself and his actions in court.
Now you’re being silly. So reductive.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Everyone involved is responsible, even the last man to hold the firearm and pulling the trigger

What are the rules for firearms on set?​

The weapons master is required to be on set whenever a weapon is being used. The Actors' Equity Association's guidelines state that, "Before each use, make sure the gun has been test-fired offstage, and then ask to test fire it yourself. Watch the prop master check the cylinders and barrel to be sure no foreign object or dummy bullet has become lodged inside." Further, "All loading of firearms must be done by the property master, armourer or experienced persons working under their direct supervision."

"Nowadays, all weapons are checked before your blanks are put into the weapon.… The blanks themselves are never loaded until the very last minute, when all crew is in position, so the armourer knows exactly where every member of the crew is so that no one's walking through any danger areas the armourer has set up," said armoury co-ordinator Sam Dormer.

How does one become a weapons master?​

According to Backstage magazine, there's no formal path but it is common to have internships and apprenticeships or a background in stunt work, the military, police or security. Weapons masters are required to abide by state and federal laws and hold proper operating permits.

Not acording to this

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

What are the rules for firearms on set?​

The weapons master is required to be on set whenever a weapon is being used. The Actors' Equity Association's guidelines state that, "Before each use, make sure the gun has been test-fired offstage, and then ask to test fire it yourself. Watch the prop master check the cylinders and barrel to be sure no foreign object or dummy bullet has become lodged inside." Further, "All loading of firearms must be done by the property master, armourer or experienced persons working under their direct supervision."
Yeah bro, did you read that part?

Nobody_Important

Now you’re being pedantic. So reductive.
How? What did I say that was wrong? There is an investigation into the incident right? If Baldwin is found to be at fault he is going be charged. Especially if you are correct about the rules being as strict as they are.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Indeed

Now we know who should be held acountable for this acident

The weapon master himself
Bruh, it said the actor should be dry firing and watching the procedure.

Clearly that wasn’t done. Negligence all around.
How? What did I say that was wrong? There is an investigation into the incident right? If Baldwin is found to be at fault he is going be charged. Especially if you are correct about the rules being as strict as they are.
Dr Evil Whatever GIF

Nobody_Important

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
Are you just messing with me or what? If I am so obviously incorrect then tell me what I said that was wrong. Because it's my understanding there is an investigation right?

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Bruh. Reading comprehension
Bruh reading comprehension. Read the next paragraph

The prop master check the cylinders and barrel to be sure no foreign object or dummy bullet has become lodged inside." Further, "All loading of firearms must be done by the property master, armourer or experienced persons working under their direct supervision.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
How is it her fault that Baldwin didn't follow basic gun safety procedures? Even if the armorer tells him it's not loaded, you don't fucking point a gun at a human being, blank or not. That IS his responsibility and being an actor that has been in action movies, he SHOULD know that.

I don't understand, do you like his tweets so much that it's ok that a kid lost his mom because of his incompetence and negligence?
I don’t use Twitter. You clearly do. Lol

Outlier

His life is over, one way or the other.

Doesn't matter that it was an accident. He broke the two major rules about guns.

Azurro

Banned
I don’t use Twitter. You clearly do. Lol

Well, you are very happy to put this incident under the rug and forget a kid and a husband lost one of their most important persons in their lives.

It's bizarre, so you either must like his work irrationally so or you must like so much his political positions that you are "no worries mate, you killed a woman, it's all cool, it happens". I'm just thinking of reasons why.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bruh reading comprehension. Read the next paragraph

The prop master check the cylinders and barrel to be sure no foreign object or dummy bullet has become lodged inside." Further, "All loading of firearms must be done by the property master, armourer or experienced persons working under their direct supervision.
You conveniently left out WATCH THE PROP MASTER.

Amateur hour.

Isn't it her job to teach him and make sure he follows the procedures?

Airbus Jr

Banned

Dr Evil Whatever GIF
Yes it is a negligence

Negligence on the prop mater side

Let me ask you something

If theres an F1/ Nascar driver having an acident because the engines blow was it the drivers fault or engineers fault

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

Were you there?

Honestly, the way you parade around her death and her family's loss as an excuse to attack people is some disgusting shit.

He pointed a gun at a lady and killed her. He needed to be responsible with the gun he was holding. There are basic firearms safety requirements that were clearly ignored. I don’t need an investigation to see that. You shouldn’t either.

Yes it is a negligence

Negligemce on the prop mater side

Let me ask you something

If theres an F1/ Nascar driver having an acident because the engines blow was it the drivers fault or engineers fault
It depends. Was the F1 driver properly operating his car or was he mishandling it? Because in this case, Baldwin mishandled his weapon, so he will bear some responsibility for the consequences of that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes it is a negligence

Negligemce on the prop mater side

Let me ask you something

If theres an F1 driver having an acident because the engines blow was it drivers fault or engineers fault
Retard analogy.

Let’s do this, if you are I are at a range and we did the very same thing, we would be responsible since we are the one holding the firearm, assuming and not checking or practicing proper procedures ourselves. That is firearm safety 101.

But we all know different rules apply even when not followed due to social cast and money. Something your willing to support, clearly.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
Well, you are very happy to put this incident under the rug and forget a kid and a husband lost one of their most important persons in their lives.

It's bizarre, so you either must like his work irrationally so or you must like so much his political positions that you are "no worries mate, you killed a woman, it's all cool, it happens". I'm just thinking of reasons why.
Or perhaps I just don’t stupidly apply blame where it doesn’t belong. Remind us, how much jail time did Michael Massee do? Oh right, none. He wasn’t accused of any wrong doing, the props department was.

Airbus Jr

Banned
He pointed a gun at a lady and killed her. He needed to be responsible with the gun he was holding. There are basic firearms safety requirements that were clearly ignored. I don’t need an investigation to see that. You shouldn’t either.

It depends. Was the F1 driver properly operating his car or was he mishandling it? Because in this case, Baldwin mishandled his weapon, so he will bear some responsibility for the consequences of that.
Alec Baldwin did not mishandeld his weapon

He uses the weapon acordingly and has been entrusted to him

Which was asigned to him and was declared safe for him to use by the person in charged for ensuring the safety of the firearms in the set

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Bullshit. The last line of defense is never the actor. That’s idiotic. When you hand an actor and extras weapons and announce that they’re cold, the expectation isn’t that the actor is going to do a proper check on the guns. Like everyone else, they’re going to assume it’s actually cold and that the armorer and prop master did their jobs. Expecting actors and extras to be able to do what an armorer does for the many different types of guns that are used is utterly ridiculous and no lower budget production would ever waste time and money on teaching it to them.
You keep making this up like it is true. The last line of safety IS the actor, they share responsibility. They must behave professionally. Just because an actor is handed a "cold gun" doesn't mean they can Quickdraw on all the crew and play shoot them for example.

Did Alec do everything correctly? Perhaps.

Did he draw, point the revolver in an unsafe direction (towards the cinematographer and director) AND pull the trigger? Was the scene being actively rehearsed? Was Alec doing this on his own getting ready to shoot the scene? Were all the other safety checks (barriers for the crew, etc) in place? Could Alec have aimed somewhere else? Why was he pulling the trigger anyway? Was the gun supposed to go click (ie he ran out of ammo in scene?), was it supposed to fire a blank, or was he not supposed to pull the trigger in scene at all?

Still lots of questions to be answered about how he was able to shoot someone on set.

Alec Baldwin did not mishandeld his weapon

He uses the weapon acordingly and has been entrusted to him

Which was asigned to him and was declared safe to use by the person in charged for ensuring the safety of the firearms in the set
Clearly you know nothing about firearms safety. Which is fine. But when you pick up a gun, it doesn’t matter if someone tells you it’s safe. A gun is never safe. It’s a gun. You handle it accordingly at all times. Maybe you should sit this one out. Since you don’t know anything about the topic.

Jaysen

Banned
You keep making this up like it is true. The last line of safety IS the actor, they share responsibility. They must behave professionally. Just because an actor is handed a "cold gun" doesn't mean they can Quickdraw on all the crew and play shoot them for example.

Did Alec do everything correctly? Perhaps.

Did he draw, point the revolver in an unsafe direction (towards the cinematographer and director) AND pull the trigger? Was the scene being actively rehearsed? Was Alec doing this on his own getting ready to shoot the scene? Were all the other safety checks (barriers for the crew, etc) in place? Could Alec have aimed somewhere else? Why was he pulling the trigger anyway? Was the gun supposed to go click (ie he ran out of ammo in scene?), was it supposed to fire a blank, or was he not supposed to pull the trigger in scene at all?

Still lots of questions to be answered about how he was able to shoot someone on set.
Hmmm who to believe, experts or people on forums who never worked on a set. Hmmmm . Tough call.

Nobody_Important

You can't actually mean that. Of course there has to be an investigation. That's the only way you are to figure out whose fault all of this is. Why there was a real bullet on set and how it got into a prop gun? Did Baldwin check the gun and mistakenly think the real bullet was a blank? Was the prop master qualified for the position?

There are so many questions that need to be answered and that the family deserves answers to. An investigation is a must. To imply otherwise is ridiculous.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Clearly you know nothing about firearms safety. Which is fine. But when you pick up a gun, it doesn’t matter if someone tells you it’s safe. A gun is never safe. It’s a gun. You handle it accordingly at all times. Maybe you should sit this one out. Since you don’t know anything about the topic.
Or perhaps youre the one who should sit this one out. Since you dont know anything about this topic

Last edited:
You can't actually mean that. Of course there has to be an investigation. That's the only way you are to figure out whose fault all of this is. Why there was a real bullet on set and how it got into a prop gun? Did Baldwin check the gun and mistakenly think the real bullet was a blank? Was the prop master qualified for the position?

There are so many questions that need to be answered and that the family deserves answers to. An investigation is a must. To imply otherwise is ridiculous.
There are other people who also bear responsibility certainly. But whenever you pick up a weapon, you are responsible for it. Period. There’s really no discussion about it. I’m not sure why you’re having a hard time here.

Airbus Jr

Banned
There are other people who also bear responsibility certainly. But whenever you pick up a weapon, you are responsible for it. Period. There’s really no discussion about it. I’m not sure why you’re having a hard time here.
If someone was forced to point a gun to another person and shoot at somebody hes been told to shoot at does that mean hes responsible for the act?

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Well obviously there is going to be a discussion about it. Hence the investigation and why the actor is not just thrown immediately into jail.

Because that's not how things work here.

If someone was forced to point a gun to pther person and shoot somebody does that mean hes responsible?
What are you talking about? In your weird hypothetical where someone is FORCING you to shoot someone, we can’t place blame on the shooter. Of course that’s nothing like what happened here.

Here someone handed someone else a gun and told them it was safe. Of course a responsible person knows a gun is never safe and you need to always verify a gun is unloaded yourself because you’re always responsible for a gun in your hand. You’re clearly having a tough time wrapping your head around this concept

jason10mm

Gold Member
To me these all seems to be a meaningless statement and hold no value

Like i said earlier the prop master in charge for examining the prop should be the one under scrutiny not the actor
ejRpZWy.gif

The way safety works is you want multiple layers so if one fails (armorer puts out weapon with live rounds by mistake) then the weapon is checked (by AD before handing to actor) and the weapon is STILL treated as "hot" by the actor and they don't point it at anything important (like people) without even more safety checks (like a barrier, remote camera, additional weapon checks, specific safe zone to discharge weapon, etc).

So it's quite possible Alec did all he reasonably could as an actor. But he might have been able to do more, and as his role as Co-producer perhaps a LOT more.

Airbus Jr

Banned
ejRpZWy.gif

The way safety works is you want multiple layers so if one fails (armorer puts out weapon with live rounds by mistake) then the weapon is checked (by AD before handing to actor) and the weapon is STILL treated as "hot" by the actor and they don't point it at anything important (like people) without even more safety checks (like a barrier, remote camera, additional weapon checks, specific safe zone to discharge weapon, etc).

So it's quite possible Alec did all he reasonably could as an actor. But he might have been able to do more, and as his role as Co-producer perhaps a LOT more.
Ah i see

So acording to you everyone there is at fault for this acident yes?

A separate acident caused by prop master but it becomes everyone fault i assume?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Yes it is a negligence

Negligence on the prop mater side

Let me ask you something

You have to be trolling at this point. I thought people were probably jumping to conclusions early on because a) they don’t like Baldwin and his politics and b) I wasn’t familiar with on set safety protocols and I could imagine a scenario in which Baldwin wasn’t necessarily responsible. At this point, however, enough experts have chimed in and enough set safety protocols posted that I’m less convinced he could be totally absolved of responsibility, because everything I’ve seen is that the actor has a responsibility to check the prop to verify it’s safe. He apparently didn’t do that. And again, he’s been doing this for decades, so if that’s standard practice and he didn’t do it, that’s even worse.

You’re trying to point the finger at one person, but things like this happen when multiple levels of safety fail. Baldwin apparently failed to perform his secondary check.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well obviously there is going to be a discussion about it. Hence the investigation and why the actor is not just thrown immediately into jail.

Because that's not how things work here.
What are you babbling about? No one here is calling for Alec to be in jail RIGHT NOW. There is a certain reveling in his hypocrisy coming back to get him but otherwise it is a call for an investigation at all levels. No one is jumping the gun (bad pun) or rushing to judgment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hmmm who to believe, experts or people on forums who never worked on a set. Hmmmm . Tough call.
I didn’t want to get too personal, but I actually worked on the movie set for the Michael Chiklis film, Pawn back in 2011. Worked directly with the weapons master and the local SWAT that was used for extras for consultation and firearm safety. They were all instructed and followed the procedures outline by those I quoted. The actors and extras dry fired, and checked the weapons in front of you when handed to them for the scenes. We even rechecked them hot in between every take, exhausting but mandatory. Only ones that weren’t checked were the non firing prop snipers and the rubber glocks in the night scenes for the police extras.

Took a picture of LM’s business card who was our main point of contact on set to shag what we needed.
ox13nKh.jpg

Airbus Jr

Banned
There’s a discussion about criminal responsibility. But in terms of absolute responsibility, you’re always responsible for a weapon in your hand. It’s not debatable.
But this isnt a criminal scene

This is prop gun used by actors in an act

Gun that was deemed safe to use for him

You understand this right

Last edited:

Jeeves

Airbus Jr Airbus Jr . Buddy.

A gun is an incredibly dangerous object with great potential to cause accidental harm instantaneously. If someone hands you one and says it's safe to fire, you don't just assume they're right, no matter how qualified that person is. There is a shared responsibility by everyone handling the weapon.

I don't even need to consult regulations to know this, because it's just common sense.

Nobody_Important

There’s a discussion about criminal responsibility. But in terms of absolute responsibility, you’re always responsible for a weapon in your hand. It’s not debatable.
I guess we will just have to wait and see if the courts agree with you on that.

Top Bottom