• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Grisby said:
So do I, love the Pepper gun too.

Wasn't there a movie deal with Sarah Michelle Gellar a long time ago? I would have liked to have seen that pan out.

I'm in an Alice mood. Was the Tim Burton movie decent?

It's not bad. Think it might be streaming if you have Netflix.

Too bad about SMG, she would have been great a decade ago. Now, I'd want Emily Browning or Teresa Palmer.

Varna

Grisby said:

Wasn't there a movie deal with Sarah Michelle Gellar a long time ago? I would have liked to have seen that pan out.

I'm in an Alice mood. Was the Tim Burton movie decent
?

Hell no.

Will never watch another Tim Burton re-imagining again.

20 minutes to go. Pretty excited actually. Game looks like nothing I imagined.

B-Dex

AEREC said:
Love the main menu.

Also if I get the weapons and dresses pack off the PSN do the weapons automatically get upgraded in game or does the fourth tier just become available to purchase once you are able to?

Im just starting so I didn't want to throw the game out of balance.

You go Equip on the main menu and can change the weapons to the pack ones or not etc...

Kind of sucks that you have to boot AMA through the MR menu. I guess that's one way (effective or not) of attempting to get people to keep a single player game!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
LocoMrPollock said:
It's not so much a remaster as it just adds controller support and HD resolutions. It hasn't really aged well anyway.
From what I've seen it looks like it doesn't even adjust the FOV for widescreen modes. It's exactly the same as changing the resolution in the original's ini without a FOV tweak. Pad support is all that is actually 'new.'

I replayed the original a few weeks before this came out and I still found it pretty enjoyable once you get back into the swing of it and have some better weapons, especially the Jacks. It's a wonderfully dark game (somewhat more so than the sequel) with some amazing dialogue ("Those who say there's nothing like a nice cup of tea for calming the nerves never had 'real' tea. It's like a syringe of adrenaline straight to the heart!").
The plot is wafer-thin but the characters and atmosphere makes up for it.

And as good as the music is in the sequel, it's mostly a handful of simple repeating ambient tracks and a good but overused battle theme. The original had some extremely haunting and somber tracks that are just incredible:

Wonderland Woods
Time to die
I'm not edible

The technology may have improved but I still think the atmosphere is unmatched.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Grisby said:

It's not as horrible as the internet would have you believe (seriously, some people act like the movie raped their mother and shat in her mouth), but it's not particularly great either. It's a forgettable and more or less disappointing movie.

AEREC

Grisby said:

No...it's probably his worst movie, it feels so devoid of any kind of soul to me. I still like Tim Burton though and Sweeney Todd is one of my favorites movies...but he can really miss the mark sometimes (ie Alice and Willy Wonka).

The Disney version was recently released on Blu-ray, you are better off watching that.

Grisby

LocoMrPollock said:
It's not bad. Think it might be streaming if you have Netflix.

Too bad about SMG, she would have been great a decade ago. Now, I'd want Emily Browning or Teresa Palmer.

Yeah, she would have been great. I don't know who I would want nowadays.

Also, I don't have Netflix (don't stone me) but maybe a friend has it, I'm morbidly curious as I generally like TB. Although I didn't enjoy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Grisby said:

Not at all. Do not waste your time.

AEREC

Grisby said:
Yeah, she would have been great. I don't know who I would want nowadays.

Also, I don't have Netflix (don't stone me) but maybe a friend has it, I'm morbidly curious as I generally like TB. Although I didn't enjoy Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Emily Blunt looks the part.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
AMA and AMR are much, much better Wonderland and Looking-glass sequels than the Tim Burton movie. Nothing about the movie displayed any kind of consistency with, or understanding of the source material.

Anticitizen One said:
He said he has some ideas for a third alice game if this sells well.

He also wanted to do a game set in the OZ universe that took place in the far past during a big war there but the idiotic management at EA said no because they were only interested in doing games based on major film franchises.

Well, did my part. Just bought x2 copies on Steam at full price. Looks like it is currently number 3 in the top sellers. Downloading now!

Combichristoffersen

Grisby said:

I like Burton too (I find the Burtman movies to be vastly more enjoyable the two recent snorefests by Nolan), but Alice really isn't anything special (it's probably even less interesting than Charlie, I'd say). Burton should stick to making stuff like Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow and Mars Attacks!, with the occasional Big Fish.

Combichristoffersen said:
It's not as horrible as the internet would have you believe (seriously, some people act like the movie raped their mother and shat in her mouth), but it's not particularly great either. It's a forgettable and more or less disappointing movie.

Pretty much this. It was just another cash in with Burton's overplayed style. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate Burton, I really enjoyed Sweeney Todd and his older stuff.

I don't know why but I still have hopes that this will be something interesting regarding the material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasmagoria:_The_Visions_of_Lewis_Carroll

However, it looks pretentious..

Does anyone else prefer the look of the game when you turn off post-processing? Because I do, by a large margin. Only thing I missed when I tried it is the effect when you shrink, but oh well, it still looks better.

Animator said:
Any word on how it runs on PC?

Are you guys liking the game?

It ran pretty well when I tried it on my crappy i3 370M and 5470 Mobility 512MB, every extra off, with AA and PhysX on Medium and at 720p so I'd say it runs very well. At least it's the most beautiful game I've seen running on that machine.

L0st Id3ntity said:
I just started it and had to stop to ask this: why is my fps capped at 30?
nvm
5# Alice Madness Returns Framerate Fix – 60 FPS Tweak
Open Alice.ini in text editor, you can find the file located here:

\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini

and Set these to your desired values for framerate boost:

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

Read more: http://segmentnext.com/2011/06/14/a...rs-no-sound-and-controller-fix/#ixzz1PZYpQ8G8

Combichristoffersen

Animator said:
Any word on how it runs on PC?

Are you guys liking the game?

Runs great on PC, but it most likely benefits greatly from having a PhysX-enabled card.

Love the game
and would hump Alice all the way through the looking glass

Bliddo

I got the game for 360, installed it on my slim, but when I launch the game, after a couple of seconds the disc start spinning.
Anyone else has this poblem?

Varna

Getting some start up crashing here. :(

Starts up fine, lets me change all my settings. As soon as a new game is finished loading it crashes. Tried all settings to see if there was a problem and it crashes every time. Anyone have a suggestion?

Grisby

Bliddo said:
I got the game for 360, installed it on my slim, but when I launch the game, after a couple of seconds the disc start spinning.
Anyone else has this poblem?

Been reports yeah, your not alone.

Wow good game. I was worried because of the reviews. Did not play the first Alice but am really enjoying this.

As a matter of fact this might actually be the game that gets me to stop paying any attention to reviews.

Somewhere between a solid 7 and 8 on a 1-10 scale is my review ;)

JohngPR

Put a few hours in and I'm really digging the game. There's not many M-rated platformers around so it's unique to have the opportunity to play one. I'm loving the art direction so far and the real time hair has a really cool effect.

I'm really liking everything about it although the camera can be spotty at times. Nothing tragic or anything though and it does a better job with it than a lot of platformers.

If you're interested in my more detailed impressions, clicky here and tell me what you think. :)

The M.O.B

fernoca said:
Regarding how to obtain the original Alice; from what has been posted:

Xbox 360-PlayStation 3
A code is included in new copies of the game (used, if you're lucky :p). This code is labeled as an online pass. You redeem this online pass through the game menu/marketplace and it let's download the original game through the Madness Returns menu.

Once downloaded, the original game is recognized as (basically) downloadable content to Madness Returns. That means that only through (and with) Madness Returns you can access the original game.

There are 6 achievements to earn and tied to the Madness Returns achievements. That also means that if you plan on getting all the achievements/trophies for Madness Returns, you have to play and finish the original game too.

(So at the moment, you can't buy the original game as a separate game and play.)​

PC
You get it by buying the 'Complete Collection' from EA's Origin store, you get both games for the same price ($49.99); for a limited time [1]. Each is a separate download and can be played independently from each other [2].

Regular versions of Madness Returns on retail, Steam and other services; don't include the original game.

1: Salsashark added that this is no longer available to purchase.
2: Zefah added that to access the original of the Complete Collection, you still need to do it through the Madness Returns menu
.​

I added this to the OP, I hope you don't mind. :D

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
leng jai said:
Is it plausible to max out Physx on a single GTX570?
You won't have any issues.

Game has really been kind of a drag with chapters 4 and 6. It really feels like the game could have used both more story and bosses to help add some high points. It never really feels like anything stands out, so when you're cracking at the same environment for what can be hours and hours things start to get really dull.

kn1ves24

I'm really liking the game so far, only in chapter 1 so far. Runs really well on the PC even in my crossfire setup. With physX on medium everything is fine till I get into combat with a lot of stuff going on then I get drops but its still playable, low would probably be better though.

Anyways to the point, dumb question or maybe I'm just being a dunce. I bought the complete edition off of Origin. My understanding was the complete edition would have the extra costumes as well as the original Alice game. Well the original Alice game works fine but I can't seem to find the costumes. I click on the equip button on the main menu screen but I can't switch to any different costume other than the default. Can anybody help me out? or did I just not get the costumes because I didn't preorder?

MrMephistoX

Combichristoffersen said:
I like Burton too (I find the Burtman movies to be vastly more enjoyable the two recent snorefests by Nolan), but Alice really isn't anything special (it's probably even less interesting than Charlie, I'd say). Burton should stick to making stuff like Corpse Bride, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Sleepy Hollow and Mars Attacks!, with the occasional Big Fish.

Big Time Burton fan as well but still enjoy Nolan's work: Joel Shumacher should die in a fire though for the monstrosities that were Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Combichristoffersen

MrMephistoX said:
Big Time Burton fan as well but still enjoy Nolan's work: Joel Shumacher should die in a fire though for the monstrosities that were Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

I sort of enjoyed Batman Forever, but Batman & Robin.. it's so amazingly bad it almost becomes good. Almost. Batman and Robin going ice skating was unbelievable :lol

Nishastra

Banned
kn1ves24 said:
I'm really liking the game so far, only in chapter 1 so far. Runs really well on the PC even in my crossfire setup. With physX on medium everything is fine till I get into combat with a lot of stuff going on then I get drops but its still playable, low would probably be better though.

Anyways to the point, dumb question or maybe I'm just being a dunce. I bought the complete edition off of Origin. My understanding was the complete edition would have the extra costumes as well as the original Alice game. Well the original Alice game works fine but I can't seem to find the costumes. I click on the equip button on the main menu screen but I can't switch to any different costume other than the default. Can anybody help me out? or did I just not get the costumes because I didn't preorder?
Try using the arrow keys to switch dresses. That's the only way it works for me. If you can play the original, you should also have the dresses.

Mind you, for anyone who actually doesn't have them available, it's quite easy to enable them; It seems that every PC version comes with the "DLC" files. Whether or not the game will use them is determined by a line in an INI file.

Find the game directory, go into it until you find AliceGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini and change the last line from false to true and the game will load the extra dresses. It'll also put the original game on the menu, but trying to run it will end badly.

leng jai

My resistance is slowly fading...especially since you guys are telling me I can max out Physx and get the extra dresses for free.

B-Dex

I think the dresses and weapons are only changeable after you hit wonderland. Cause they weren't there initially for me either but they showed up after i went back to the main menu after getting to wonderland.

kn1ves24

Nishastra said:
Try using the arrow keys to switch dresses. That's the only way it works for me. If you can play the original, you should also have the dresses.

Mind you, for anyone who actually doesn't have them available, it's quite easy to enable them; It seems that every PC version comes with the "DLC" files. Whether or not the game will use them is determined by a line in an INI file.

Find the game directory, go into it until you find AliceGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini and change the last line from false to true and the game will load the extra dresses. It'll also put the original game on the menu, but trying to run it will end badly.

Thanks Nishastra, using the arrow keys worked for me. I didn't plan on using them for my first playthrough I just wanted to check them out. Its weird that the arrow buttons don't work there, was throwing me off.

leng jai said:
My resistance is slowly fading...especially since you guys are telling me I can max out Physx and get the extra dresses for free.

DO EEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Has gaf ever failed you?

fuck...don't answer that.

just do it.

Varna

Varna said:
Getting some start up crashing here. :(

Starts up fine, lets me change all my settings. As soon as a new game is finished loading it crashes. Tried all settings to see if there was a problem and it crashes every time. Anyone have a suggestion?

Fixed itself after I verified integrity cache.

Game looks fantastic despite the obvious low resolution texture work. Intro remind me of Rule of Rose for some reason.

I get some odd frame-rate hiccups here and there but I guess those are just a result of some badly optimized code. Runs at a solid 60 with everything at max including physX.

i5-760, 580gtx, 4gb of ram. Using 460 as dedicated physX card.

Pimpbaa

leng jai said:
Is it plausible to max out Physx on a single GTX570?

I'm running maxed out Physx on my 460. Stays at the default locked 30fps. That's with everything on except AA (that seems to be more of a performance hit).

Pimpbaa

Varna said:
I get some odd frame-rate hiccups here and there but I guess those are just a result of some badly optimized code. Runs at a solid 60 with everything at max including physX.

I get those too, just a rare momentary pause.

Varna

Pimpbaa said:
I get those too, just a rare momentary pause.

I guess it's just the texture streaming. Looking through the .ini to see if I can increase it...

Happens a lot less when the actual game starts.

I just started playing, the first level is beautiful and I spent ages just running around looking at stuff. I've had a freeze up after playing for about 30 mins (on Xbox) but it had autosaved right where the game froze so no problem.

The game is a little rough around the edges, the lack of a turning animation for Alice is annoying and has already been mentioned in the thread...I would hope they could fix that with an update but I don't think they will. Apart from the minor niggles I'm really enjoying the game.

Top Bottom