• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Mattdaddy said:
Ok so I watched that video but I'm an idiot so please help me out. The description says "on new GTX 560 being released May 17th". I built a system in March and have a GTX 560Ti MSI Twin Forzr or something. Will mine not be able to do that since its a pre-May 17th? Will driver updates do the trick?

I didn't even know what this game was but the video and screens made me really interested.
PhysX is a feature of nVidia GPUs, it's not exclusive to the GTX 560 only. So your 560ti will be able to use all of those effects just fine.

http://www.geforce.com/#/Hardware/Technologies/physx/supportedgpus

CO_Andy

Does Alice actually have any underwear when you peek under?

Disappointing McGee couldn't be bothered to give her some some underoos in Alice 1.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
CO_Andy said:

Disappointing McGee couldn't be bothered to give her some some underoos in Alice 1.

Are you seriously suggesting we should be peeking under her dress?
I tried to peek, but you can't really see if she's wearing any kind of underwear or if it's just some black textures there.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
CO_Andy said:

I think it's just pantyhose all the way up (not a perv, just... curious!)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jhawk6 said:
I have no clue what some of those reviewers were wanting/expecting when they rated this game anything below an 8/10. The only review I saw that made sense was Ryan Davis's of Giant Bomb and 4/5 stars is pretty spot on. Absolutely nuts that someone could objectively play this game and say "Wow this is not a good game".

I really think it was mostly because it's not FPS/Modren game structure of just push forward, see cutscene, push forward,watch the credits and with checkpoints every 3 seconds, in Madness Returns have longer levels,that require doing real platforming and puzzles,it punish you hard if you die in combat, I can see the younger and new generation of reviewers don't like "old school" gameplay like this.

Tokubetsu

Totobeni said:
I really think it was mostly because it's not FPS/Modren game structure of just push forward, see cutscene, push forward,watch the credits and with checkpoints every 3 seconds, in Madness Returns have longer levels,that require doing real platforming and puzzles,it punish you hard if you die in combat, I can see the younger and new generation of reviewers don't like "old school" gameplay like this.

RPS kinda said it best. It's a bit of a relic. Back when games were more interested in being like Mario. Now everyone wants to be CoD

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
EchosMyron1 said:
I had no idea all those things were PhysX features, I just figured it was being used solely to make Alice's hair so awesome.

That's like the one thing that sticks even with PhysX on low. Definitely the best hair I've seen in a game. It's like a scaled down version of that Nvidia PhysX demo from a couple of years back.

Tokubetsu said:
RPS kinda said it best. It's a bit of a relic. Back when games were more interested in being like Mario. Now everyone wants to be CoD

It's statements like that that make me want to run out and buy this game right now. Ugh... should I take the plunge at $60?

Tokubetsu

disappeared said:
It's statements like that that make me want to run out and buy this game right now. Ugh... should I take the plunge at $60?

I'm having a hell of a time with it. I'd say yes. I paid 50 for it but I would drop 60 on it. Especially if you're not one of those silly people who refuse to drop $60 on a game if it doesn't have multiplayer.

Himself

You guys really know how to sell a game. All this talk of "old-school" gameplay and design over cinematics and shooting has convinced me to take the dive. Plus, art style looks great. I didn't give a shit about it at the beginning of this week. All I'm expecting is a nice little 7/10 experience with this one.

Oh. ?: is the original worth playing; or should I play it anyway as it will enrich my understanding/appreciation of the new one? I mean, its free, so I might as well give it a go, but I'm really eager to try out the new one. Busy gaming schedule, if you feel me. Not trying to play some crusty old thing just because it's free.

AEREC

PS3 version installing now...taking a while. Cant decide if I should play through the first as a refresher, I played it long ago but dont remember anything.

Im pretty sure this game will be under $20 by this holiday on steam so Ill pick it up again for the best version...assuming I enjoy it in the first place.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Varna said:
Gamepad support for the pc version?

Yep! It's seamless with the 360 controller (wired and wireless versions). Some of the tutorial screens don't recognize that you have a 360 pad plugged in, though, and will tell you press space bar to jump, etc... Then again, some other tutorial screens do recognize your controller and will show the appropriate 360 button graphic. The controls aren't hard to learn, so it's not a problem at all, though.

I think I give the PC UI fits because I'm playing the game with a wired 360 pad but then periodically taking screenshots with fraps. The gameplay hint pop ups continually switch back and forth between game pad and keyboard control pretty well actually.

Varna

Thanks guys. Steam page doesn't mention gamepad support.

Very tempting...

For the physX settings... Will a single 580GTX be able to handle max settings and physics? If not I will have to get my 460 out.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
jaundicejuice said:
I think I give the PC UI fits because I'm playing the game with a wired 360 pad but then periodically taking screenshots with fraps. The gameplay hint pop ups continually switch back and forth between game pad and keyboard control pretty well actually.

This didn't seem to be the case for me, though. I was playing the game with the wireless controller on my TV and sitting a good 6ft or so from my computer, so it's not like I accidentally bumped the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard or anything.

Varna said:

Very tempting...

For the physX settings... Will a single 580GTX be able to handle max settings and physics? If not I will have to get my 460 out.

PhysX is a bullshit 'technology' if a single 580GTX isn't overkill, in my opinion.

disappeared said:

yes the game is fun and visually amazing. It even comes with an HD remastered version of the first game!

By purchasing this game you are encouraging EA to create more creative IPs in the future instead of movie tie-ins and brodude sequels

Okay yeah this is pretty fantastic. I have seriously missed games like this and the art direction is phenomenal. I've played probably 1.5-2 hours now and most of that time has been checkin' out the environments.

bedlamite

Anticitizen One said:
yes the game is fun and visually amazing. It even comes with an HD remastered version of the first game!

By purchasing this game you are encouraging EA to create more creative IPs in the future instead of movie tie-ins and brodude sequels
The remastered version also includes 360 controller support, which was a nice surprise.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I know McGee said he was moving to Facebook/web games after this, but I really hope this game sells well enough to get another Alice game somewhere down the line

Varna

Fuck it. Bought it.

Hope I don't have to install my 460GTX as a physX card. I really hate any kind of dual card setup.

He said he has some ideas for a third alice game if this sells well.

He also wanted to do a game set in the OZ universe that took place in the far past during a big war there but the idiotic management at EA said no because they were only interested in doing games based on major film franchises.

Ceebs

Dizzy-4U said:
Since we're on the subject, can you map the fraps key to a button in the controller?
Not that I am aware of, but you can map a controller button to a key using Xpadder and set the screenshot key to the same in Fraps.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Anticitizen said:
One He said he has some ideas for a third alice game if this sells well.

He also wanted to do a game set in the OZ universe that took place in the far past during a big war there but the idiotic management at EA said no because they were only interested in doing games based on major film franchises.

Oh god, Please, this,pretty please.

After Alice: Madness Returns , I want to see more games from Spicy Horse and American McGee, these guys are talented and know how to make great stuff, I hope Madness Returns sells well, it deserve the sales since it's one of the best games this year.

Dizzy-4U

Ceebs said:
Not that I am aware of, but you can map a controller button to a key using Xpadder and set the screenshot key to the same in Fraps.
Ah, too bad. I thought about doing something similar with joy2key.

fernoca

Regarding how to obtain the original Alice; from what has been posted:

Xbox 360-PlayStation 3
A code is included in new copies of the game (used, if you're lucky :p). This code is labeled as an online pass. You redeem this online pass through the game menu/marketplace and it let's download the original game through the Madness Returns menu.

Once downloaded, the original game is recognized as (basically) downloadable content to Madness Returns. That means that only through (and with) Madness Returns you can access the original game.

There are 6 achievements to earn and tied to the Madness Returns achievements. That also means that if you plan on getting all the achievements/trophies for Madness Returns, you have to play and finish the original game too.

(So at the moment, you can't buy the original game as a separate game and play.)​

PC
You get it by buying the 'Complete Collection' from EA's Origin store, you get both games for the same price ($49.99); for a limited time [1]. Each is a separate download and can be played independently from each other [2].

Regular versions of Madness Returns on retail, Steam and other services; don't include the original game.

1: Salsashark added that this is no longer available to purchase.
2: Zefah added that to access the original of the Complete Collection, you still need to do it through the Madness Returns menu
.​

mxgt

Banned
Varna said:

Very tempting...

I'm using a single GTX570 and an i5 2500k, both overclocked and I run the game with physx on high at a solid 60fps no problems.

Every now and then it drops to mid 50's for a split second which is kind of annoying seeing as the game is only using 37% of my GPU

Anticitizen One said:
He said he has some ideas for a third alice game if this sells well.

Hope so, too. I wouldn't say no to another Scrapland either.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in that the original has not stood the test. The platforming is very annoying and overly sensitive, combat is incredibly dull, the only good thing is that the VA is pretty great.

Zefah said:
This didn't seem to be the case for me, though. I was playing the game with the wireless controller on my TV and sitting a good 6ft or so from my computer, so it's not like I accidentally bumped the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard or anything.

Well, that's just weird.

Varna said:
Fuck it. Bought it.

Hope I don't have to install my 460GTX as a physX card. I really hate any kind of dual card setup.

I've been playing it on a GTX 480, without a separate dedicated PhysX card, with PhysX set to medium and haven't experienced any adverse performance issues. Game runs fine and looks fantastic.

Salsa

fernoca said:
PC
You get it by buying the 'Complete Collection' from EA's Origin store, you get both games for the same price ($49.99); for a limited time. Each is a separate download and can be played independently from each other.

Regular versions of Madness Returns on retail, Steam and other services; don't include the original game.

This is no longer available.

Pretty dumb of EA to not sell the HD remaster of the first one separately considering it must have taken some work.

Should pop up as a separate purchase later on.. at least i hope, if they're not idiots.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:

Pretty dumb of EA to not sell the HD remaster of the first one separately considering it must have taken some work.

Should pop up as a separate purchase later on.. at least i hope, if they're not idiots.

It's weird because, even on the PC, you have to boot up Madness Returns to even access the original Alice. After selecting it, it then quits out and boots up a separate executable. I'm sure if you found the original Alice executable in the folder it would work on its own (perhaps also requiring some sort of crack), but I still think it's weird how they put this together.

What is the file size of the Steam of version? I imagine it would be smaller than the 9GB I downloaded from Origin if the original game's data isn't included.

Psy-Phi

SalsaShark said:

This :(.

I was not sure if I wanted the game, still am not, but I'm sad to see this option gone, and it basically solidifies the decision not to buy it for now.

Hmmm... I could activate the medium setting of PhysX with a 5470 mobility without problems and it ran kinda fine. The whole game is awesome performance wise, at least for a low end laptop like mine.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
can I use the motionjoy to emulate a ds3 into a 360?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
XeroSauce said:
So are ATI guys completely screwed from PhysX then? That sucks, PhysX broke Mirror's Edge for me too. :(

It's perfectly playable on Medium PhysX with my i5 2500k @3.3ghz and HD 5870 1GB, but in some hectic scenes the framerate certainly does plummet into the teens or low 20s.

I really just want the awesome butterflies... I hope someone figures out how to enable and disable PhysX stuff individually.

SalsaShark said:

It's not so much a remaster as it just adds controller support and HD resolutions. It hasn't really aged well anyway.

AEREC

Love the main menu.

Also if I get the weapons and dresses pack off the PSN do the weapons automatically get upgraded in game or does the fourth tier just become available to purchase once you are able to?

Im just starting so I didn't want to throw the game out of balance.

Grisby

Nishastra said:
Bought it.

I love the sounds the vorpal blade makes :p

So do I, love the Pepper gun too.

Wasn't there a movie deal with Sarah Michelle Gellar a long time ago? I would have liked to have seen that pan out.

I'm in an Alice mood. Was the Tim Burton movie decent?

Top Bottom