• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
plagiarize said:
does anyone here agree with those low end reviews yet?

Yes and no. I think they're more a failing of the 8-10 review scale - like the original, it's a fairly average game punching way, way above its weight in art design and imagination. The latter part is questionably important to a lot of gamers, and even if you do dig it, the lapses in polish and the fact that all that inventiveness never really feeds into gameplay or level design does hurt the experience.

I loved it, but I love 6-out-of-10 games.

jhawk6

Fairly far into Chapter 3 now and wanted to put down some more impressions.

So the visuals in the game overall are just beautiful! Really well done reimagining of Wonderland. Sure there's a muddy texture here and there but that gets overpowered so easily by just discovering this world. I love seeing things and thinking to myself "I remember that! I remember the carpenter/mock turtle's train/the mouse/the hare/etc." and seeing it presented in the way this game does it is just wonderful (bad pun)

The actual gameplay feels like pure throwback to a bygone era of platform adventure. Granted, I haven't played any platformers outside of Mario Galaxy this gen but I think its safe to say they don't make these like they used to. I feel the jump/glide mechanics are solid.

Combat is fast, engaging, and fun. You have plenty of options at your disposal from the pepper grinder and teapot cannon for distance and your trusty vorpal blade and block breaking hobby horse for melee. Also, all 4 weapons can be upgraded up to 4 times each with collectable teeth you find.

The collectables themselves are cool too imo. The teeth have tangible rewards, the memories give backstory info, and of course the paint will increase your health. I could be wrong but the only collectible that seems to be useless achievement fodder are the bottles but when you find them they are usually near a nice stash of teeth too.

I have no clue what some of those reviewers were wanting/expecting when they rated this game anything below an 8/10. The only review I saw that made sense was Ryan Davis's of Giant Bomb and 4/5 stars is pretty spot on. Absolutely nuts that someone could objectively play this game and say "Wow this is not a good game".

If you are still on the fence, I highly recmommend you take the trip down the rabbit hole.

You know what this game reminds me more of than any other? Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver, through and through. Combat that revolves around circling the enemy and dodging them, gliding over spacious environments, gothic setting and ambiance, a script that reads like it's from theatre. It's uncanny. All I need now is Raziel to pop up and make a cameo and the cycle is complete.

Game is really good so far. Granted, I've only played for about an hour a half but I'm digging it. Old-school but satisfying. Alice's animation when you turn her around 180 degrees is offensively non-existent though.

Acquiescence said:
Alice's animation when you turn her around 180 degrees is offensively non-existent though.
yeah. that bothers me a tiny bit, espescially as her hair reacts to it, but it sure leads to some tight controls.

JohngPR

Lime said:
You can always settle for the summary of Alice 1 in this game. It's under "Extras" in the main menu. Likewise, there is an visual storybook app for ipads and iphones that tells the story of Alice 1.
I didn't know there was an iPhone app. I might do that instead of waiting to play Madness Returns until I beat Alice 1.

jhawk6

Also anyone complaining about shooter fatigue or lack of creativity in games look no further. This is a perfect antidote for you.

JohngPR

jhawk6 said:
Also anyone complaining about shooter fatigue or lack of creativity in games look no further. This is a perfect antidote for you.
It's great to hear that. It's the exact reason why I decided to buy it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I've sunk a few hours into the game already, really liking it. Never played the first game (though I tried out a bit of it since it was included, couldn't get past the controls), so I'm probably missing out on a lot of cool "ooh, I remember that!" moments but it's still definitely a lot of fun... I'm enjoying the old-school style gameplay, incredible art direction, and the twisted characters and story.

Also, taking lotsa screenshots to add to my wallpaper rotation. :D

Acquiescence said:
You know what this game reminds me more of than any other? Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver, through and through.
Totally. Fighting with Alice really throws me back to that game. Soul Reaver is a gem too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blargh! Slightly regret getting it on Origin yesterday, now! Oh well, at least I got the original game, and apparently some dresses, too?

2th

Banned
so any thoughts on getting this on PC vs console? i seen some streams and the movement looks great for console but the aiming with the pepper grinder looks like it would be so much better with a mouse.

RPGCrazied

That is so retarded. You can't buy the first game by itself on psn? You have to use the disc on madness to even get it to run? Why not just sell it by itself for $9.99? You might get more people interested in your sequel.

RPGCrazied said:
That is so retarded. You can't buy the first game by itself on psn? You have to use the disc on madness to even get it to run? Why not just sell it by itself for $9.99? You might get more people interested in your sequel.

I completely agree with this. I got the retail PC version and got completely screwed over, so now I can't even play the remastered version at all, without going out and buying another copy of madness returns for 360 :\

RPGCrazied said:
Dunno man, it's 11 years old. I take it as just an extra, or/and a gift to the die hard AMA fans who couldn't wait for the sequel, who wanted to play the first one on their HDTVs and stuff.

Got this yesterday, for the PC, have been playing it fairly non-stop. 5 or so hours in and, man this game is great. I have to say I think this is the most out of touch game reviewers have been about a game this generation (JRPG reviews potentially withstanding).

The combat is totally frenzied and fun, in a world where even hardcore combo-based action games often let you cheese your way through without true knowledge of the mechanics at play. It's refreshing to see a game demand your attention, and stick to it's guns with great design. All the visual and audio cues at work, The variety of weaknesses to exploit and subtle prioritization, sometimes the game even throws environmental hazards into the combat. Making it that much more chaotic and also that much more impressive when it all comes together.

The breakthrough's and eureka moments you have when you reform your tactics on-the-fly to overcome a new, seemingly impossible, set up of enemy's creates the feeling I play games for. That one set up of the crabs with cannon arms and those lungfish that burrow under the sand was a killer, until I started to use the rabbit as a decoy for the smaller enemy's.

The platforming, is also very cool, Alice doesn't have the variety of moves at her disposal as say, a Banjo or Mario, so don't expect to be timing sequences of walljumps and back flips. But as far as pure jumping controls go, she has some of the best, almost too good in fact. 3 times in the game thus far, I've actually managed to reach a platform I wasn't supposed to (because of the flexibility of combining her float and twirl abilities), before realizing I was supposed to hit a switch that activated other platforms or wind-jets used to get to the destination the right way.

The game also does well to take full advantage of the platforming moves at your disposal, I love the sequences where you have to turn small to reveal hidden platforms, moving about, the platforms disappear when you turn big again, sometimes they fade faster than other times. Leaving you to intuit where the platform is now based on the trajectory to observed when you were small (with subtle visual indicators as well, once you're up close). Only in a game with rock solid jumping control could this be pulled off, and "Alice" has it in spades.

Seriously, unless this all falls apart at the end in ways I've never seen a game fall apart before, I don't see how any reviewer could've given this game anything but at least an 8. It's such a refreshing breath of air in a modern military shooter filled environment, and I didn't even talk about the visuals!

RPGCrazied

Yeah, but some people like me, would like to try out the first game before making a decision on the sequel. Hell, I'd even shell out $15 for it on PSN by itself. I don't want to buy the sequel for $60, and hate it.

2th said:
so any thoughts on getting this on PC vs console? i seen some streams and the movement looks great for console but the aiming with the pepper grinder looks like it would be so much better with a mouse.

I'm playing on PC, and the mouse look is very weird. The camera movement substantially lags behind you're direction. Plugged in a game-pad and everything is beyond fine. Can't say if the looking would get any tighter when there's a reticle on screen, though.

So if you're playing on PC for expecting tighter Mouse & Keyboard controls, and for no other reason, I'd go with the console version.

RPGCrazied said:
Yeah, but some people like me, would like to try out the first game before making a decision on the sequel. Hell, I'd even shell out $15 for it on PSN by itself. I don't want to buy the sequel for $60, and hate it.

To be honest, the original Alice doesn't hold up well. The atmosphere and art style is awesome, and some of the bits of dialog have stuck with me forever, but gameplay wise..not that great. Madness Returns has definitely taken a huge leap forward, adding better combat, tighter controls, and more interesting platforming elements.

EchosMyron1 said:
I'm playing on PC, and the mouse look is very weird. The camera movement substantially lags behind you're direction. Plugged in a game-pad and everything is beyond fine. Can't say if the looking would get any tighter when there's a reticle on screen, though.

So if you're playing on PC for expecting tighter Mouse & Keyboard controls, and for no other reason, I'd go with the console version.

What..? I'm playing this with keyboard/mouse, and it feels fine to me.

Ajemsuhgao said:
What..? I'm playing this with keyboard/mouse, and it feels fine to me.

Don't know what to tell you, dude. I checked with FRAPS to see if it was a frame-rate issue, and everything solid on that end. To be fair, I didn't really stick it out and adjust any settings or any of that, cause I intended to use my game-pad anyways.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
EchosMyron1 said:
Don't know what to tell you, dude. I checked with FRAPS to see if it was a frame-rate issue, and everything solid on that end. To be fair, I didn't really stick it out and adjust any settings or any of that, cause I intended to use my game-pad anyways.
Was it a solid 60fps by chance? ;) It might be Vsync that causes mouselag or something :p

mxgt

Banned
This game is great.

Fun, great platforming and a fantastic visual style.

Further proof that reviews don't mean shit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Heavy said:
Hey man how is it running on your setup? I have the same card + a random quad core + 4gb ddr3. What res and settings are you running, and your FPS?

I have a Phenom II X4 quad core, a 1 GB 5770 and 8 GB DDR2 RAM, and it runs mostly smooth. I'm running at 1600xsomething resolution (can't remember exactly what it was, and I'm not at home to check right now) with effects, bells and whistles all on max, except for PhysX which is on medium. I've edited the .ini file to have it run at 60 FPS, and it seems to do so most of the time, except for the occasional hiccup, but I suspect that might be due to my PhysX settings. I might try to lower the PhysX settings to see if it'll affect the game.

RPGCrazied said:

Apparently you should be able to buy the original Alice game off PSN for $9 or something like that

As for controls, I actually felt more comfortable playing the game with the DS3 on my PS3 than with m+kb, so I might just use my DS3 to play the PC version too. Either way, the game is absolutely gorgeous and anyone tired of Killzone of Duty: Modern Gears of Warfare - Dudebro Edition should give Alice a go.

So for those of you that got the original alice along with Madness Returns...what's different? Did they actually update any of the art assets, or is it the exact same game, with HD resolutions officially supported?

Hamster

EchosMyron1 said:

I felt the same spongy controls at first, but in "my documents/my games/alice madness returns/alicegame/config" is a file named AliceInput.ini .

It contains a line "bEnableMouseSmoothing=True", setting that to false fixed it for me.

GJS

Really loving this game so far, it's helped me get over the disappointment of not getting OoT 3D today.

I'm part way through chapter 3 which I've heard is pretty long.

Ceebs

2th said:
Grab the PC version and play it with a controller. The IQ from the PC will make the art pop even more.

As for the pepper grinder, you only really freeaim with it to solve puzzles as the combat is the Zelda Z-Targeting style so you can lock on and not need to aim when the fights get hairy.

Wow, after seeing some videos..the remastered version is just the original game made to support HD resolutions, which the first game already did with some config file tweaks.

I don't feel so bad about not being able to get that, now...since I already own the first one.

RPGCrazied

Combichristoffersen said:
Apparently you should be able to buy the original Alice game off PSN for $9 or something like that

Nope. You have to have the Madness disc to even get it to run. So I guess if you buy this used, you'll have to spend the $9.99 they are asking for it. You only get it free if you buy it new with the code in the box.

You can't buy it separate. Hell, I found it under disc-based addons on PSN for Madness.

Ceebs

Ajemsuhgao said:
Wow, after seeing some videos..the remastered version is just the original game made to support HD resolutions, which the first game already did with some config file tweaks.

I don't feel so bad about not being able to get that, now...since I already own the first one.
It has native controller support as well, but it's very clunky since the camera was mouse controlled.

It looks like they did the usual fan method of sharpening the textures and calling it a hi-res texture pack as well.
There is a texture pack on ModDB that looks better

Combichristoffersen

RPGCrazied said:
You can't buy it separate. Hell, I found it under disc-based addons on PSN for Madness.

Really? From what I could gather, it would be available separately on XBL/PSN for those who didn't buy the game new, but I guess they'll just sell you Alice 1 HD if you own a copy of Alice 2 then. Which is kinda ass backwards really.

TimmiT

Seeing how GOG.com recently made a deal with EA, I think we can expect the first Alice game to be released on there sometime this year.

AEREC

Just got home with the PS3 version and noticed it's now on Steam...not sure if I should return the PS3 version and go with the steam copy or just stick with the PS3 version and grab the superior PC version when it hits a sub $20 sale.

I want the original Alice as well, so if I buy it on Steam will I be able to download the original Alice through the in game menu as you can on the consoles? The dresses too?

Grisby

ExMachina said:
I've sunk a few hours into the game already, really liking it. Never played the first game (though I tried out a bit of it since it was included, couldn't get past the controls), so I'm probably missing out on a lot of cool "ooh, I remember that!" moments but it's still definitely a lot of fun... I'm enjoying the old-school style gameplay, incredible art direction, and the twisted characters and story.

Also, taking lotsa screenshots to add to my wallpaper rotation. :D

Throw some up if you think they look good. Wouldn't mind some for myself.

I'm on 360 so no pics.

Easy_D said:
Was it a solid 60fps by chance? ;) It might be Vsync that causes mouselag or something :p

As far as I know, there isn't even a Vsync option for the game, and I'm not forcing it through the control panel or anything. I don't remember the exact number, but it was above 60.

Running it on a i7 960 Processor, 570 EVGA Superclocked and 6gb ddr3. Didn't try that mouse smoothing option that Hamster mentioned though, might do that If I ever go back and play with Mouse and Keyboard.

Combichristoffersen

AEREC said:

I want the original Alice as well, so if I buy it on Steam will I be able to download the original Alice through the in game menu as you can on the consoles?
The dresses too?

Don't think so. I bought Alice 2 off Origin, and Alice 1 came included when I installed the game. The Steam version doesn't include Alice 1, or a download for Alice 1, as far as I know. Dunno about the dresses.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
SalsaShark said:
quoting myself from an old thread:

Looks better IN MOTION

As far as particles go this is the best looking game ever made

Ok so I watched that video but I'm an idiot so please help me out. The description says "on new GTX 560 being released May 17th". I built a system in March and have a GTX 560Ti MSI Twin Forzr or something. Will mine not be able to do that since its a pre-May 17th? Will driver updates do the trick?

I didn't even know what this game was but the video and screens made me really interested.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, has anyone figured out how to tweak the PhysX stuff individually? I really want the extra butterflies from Medium/High, but pretty much everything else can stay on low. I'm kind of tempted to buy a cheap Nvidia card to use as a dedicated PhysX board...

xXJonoXx

Mattdaddy said:
Ok so I watched that video but I'm an idiot so please help me out. The description says "on new GTX 560 being released May 17th". I built a system in March and have a GTX 560Ti MSI Twin Forzr or something. Will mine not be able to do that since its a pre-May 17th? Will driver updates do the trick?

I didn't even know what this game was but the video and screens made me really interested.

I actually have the same card and I am wondering the exact same thing.

Top Bottom