• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

burgerdog

What the hell, I thought this game was going to be a downloadable game and be around four hours max. Retail/DD and 15 hours long? There goes $50.

Chapter 1 is good so far, does the game keep this variety in locations throughout? Not possible. :eek:

I like the combat, the secret locations and the collectibles, I dislike that the game doesn't tell me when I can't get back to an area where I'm not done exploring.

Gameplay aside, it's a real treat to look at this 60fps in 1600p. :D

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/alicemadnessreturns 2011-06-18 01-07-13-17.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/alicemadnessreturns 2011-06-18 02-03-38-63.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/alicemadnessreturns 2011-06-18 02-55-48-98.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2286376/alicemadnessreturns 2011-06-18 02-31-02-80.png

Somnid

I'm also glad this game is getting some much needed buzz. It's definately not perfect but it's such a nice change from the overwhelming shooter bullshit these days (and related themes).

L0st Id3ntity said:
I like the combat, the secret locations and the collectibles, I dislike that the game doesn't tell me when I can't get back to an area where I'm not done exploring.

Yeah, that's a bit annoying. I've only just started and I feel like I've missed loads of stuff by accidentally wandering into cutscenes and then getting locked out.

Spwn

Himself said:
I don't think I've ever seen GAF be more surprised by a game.

People had very low expectations as McGee's last few games have been disasters and the first reviews were pretty much negative towards the game.

goldenpp72

Is there a consensus on if this game is about the same experience on 360 as the pc? I have a mild interest but have never played one before.

Oreoleo

Guts Of Thor said:
Stupid question but is the offer to get the original Alice included with this game a limited time offer?

On consoles, as long as you buy the game new it is included, and I don't believe that will change. On PC, the deal is already over.

Nishastra said:
Man, the non-Wonderland parts just ooze atmosphere :p
alllllll the parts ooze atmosphere. even the FMV cutscenes. i'm only on the second chapter and already i've seen more incredible art than i've seen in any game in years.

Nishastra

Banned
plagiarize said:
alllllll the parts ooze atmosphere. even the FMV cutscenes. i'm only on the second chapter and already i've seen more incredible art than i've seen in any game in years.
Yeah, but I was just blown away by the stormy docks of the second real-world part :p

Also, when did the Hatter become such a badass?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
plagiarize said:
i'm only on the second chapter and already i've seen more incredible art than i've seen in any game in years.

And next week we get Shadows of the Damned, and a couple of weeks after that El Shaddai and Catherine.

Gentlemen (and ladies), welcome to the golden age.

Varna

Guts Of Thor said:
Stupid question but is the offer to get the original Alice included with this game a limited time offer?

For PC yes. Don't know about consoles.

I hope the updated version gets a GOG or Steam release eventually.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
How will my computer run Alice? Will I have better experience buying it for PS3 instead?

Spec:

Core2Duo 2.33Ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024MB GDDR5

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
kiunchbb said:
How will my computer run Alice? Will I have better experience buying it for PS3 instead?

Spec:

Core2Duo 2.33Ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 1024MB GDDR5

Should be able to run it fine, I would think. And go for the PC version, I'd say.

K' Dash

K' Dash said:
MattyH said:

is there a way to fix this?

Edit: I was trying to find a way to fix the disc spinning issue and this seems this works, credit to KingLS, GF forums.

KingLS said:
Try playing a song from a USB device or streamed from your PC and then starting the game. Then turn off the song at the game's main menu. I don't have the game yet so I don't know if this works, but it worked for WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and Mortal Kombat which both had the same problem.

I'm at work right now so I can't do it, could somebody please confirm?

For the two people who bought Alice on 360 (including me) and are concerned about the disc spinning problem, this works, I just did it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tempting. If I wasn't in the middle of playing D2, with DNF and Zelda OoT on my plate...we'll see how long I can hold out. This game looks absolutely gorgeous. I'm very tempted.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Anyone know how to find the first Radula Room in chapter 4? It's the only one I haven't found and it's driving me mad.

I am about 2 hours in now (360 version). In regards to the graphics/textures, it's definitely up there with Dragon Age 2 at times but meh :p

So far I am loving the game. The melancholy atmosphere and disturbing settings are truly well done, and Chris Vrenna's music is fucking superb.

I am disappointed at the lack of slicing guards in half and beheading them with the butcher knife or throwing it at them though. Hopefully though that gets rectified as I progress in the game :p

One thing I really don't like the is the new voice over for the Cheshire Cat. His voice in the original was truly chilling...but in Madness Returns, he just feels..flat. He doesn't have the haunting British accent.

Wonderland also doesn't appear to be as dark as the original (so far). It is still disturbing, but it's not as fucked up. I actually think the tone in Madness Returns so far really suits it.

Honestly, I am glad I ignored the reviews. I think most reviewers have been spoiled by lack of originality lately and much prefer short, easy games that don't require puzzles, or trying to work out where to go and have their hands held.

Note to self....do not play this game for long in 3D. My eyes are killing me. Plus it makes some of the platforming even harder lol.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, the costumes you can buy on the Xbox Marketplace, are they unlockable in game, or are they new and not on the disc?

Just finished Chapter 1. Took me about five hours.

Holy fuck. So bloody good.

(side note: playing on PS3, the game runs butter smooth.)

L0st Id3ntity said:

Try briefly shrinking a bunch and observing the areas. There will usually, if not always, be writing on the walls that indicate different paths that have collectibles and such.

Just spent all day talking this game up to my friends, one's heart was corrupted by reviews, but he was brought to the path of justice. In no small party thanks to that PhysX video, propers to SalsaShark for linking that.

Back to playing Alice!

I think I missed a cutscene in the hatter domain.

FUUUUUU MY OCD WILL KICK IN NOW.

I'm already paranoid that I'm missing small things like memories.

Damn this game is good.

mujun

Yep, I'm absolutely loving this, too.

The combat is fun and has a nice bit of nuance to it (love the teapot enemies).

The look (art design-wise) is so, so good. It's almost Bioshock levels for me in that regard. All the little memories, the great photo opportunity scenes you constantly get standing on the edge of a ledge or something, Alice with her hair blowing in the wind.

The platforming has lots of variety, feels tight and offers up some harder optional stuff if you are so inclined (which is great, hate being forced to get through sudden difficulty spikes).

Anyway, it's still early days at about 2 hours in but I'm really positive about it so far.

disappeared said:
Just finished Chapter 1. Took me about five hours.

Holy fuck. So bloody good.

(side note: playing on PS3, the game runs butter smooth.)

Yeah I looked into it more and from what I've read the PS3 version runs better but lacks the color and terrain textures the 360 has.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's really interesting to see the disconnect between the critics and the community with this game.

I mean I was seriously thinking about just avoiding the game. The only reason I'm even playing it is because Gamefly just so happened to have it readily available. And now I'm probably going to buy it.

Rez said:
It's really interesting to see the disconnect between the critics and the community with this game.

This is a prime example to avoid game reviews and go with interests you. I learned long ago to not base my experiences on others opinions.

Square Triangle said:
Yeah I looked into it more and from what I've read the PS3 version runs better but lacks the color and terrain textures the 360 has.

At this point I'd have to take a hard look at the 360 version to notice a difference. The PS3 version has knocked my socks off. Anti-aliasing is in full force (haven't seen a single jaggy anywhere), game us ultra colorful, and the frame rate is butter. As for textures I don't know, like I said I'd need to see them side by side.

Easily one of the best-looking games I've played. You guys playing it on PC must be melting from the awesomeness.

other notes:

-platforming is tight. If you fuck up it's not because the game was being cheap. It's because you fucked up. The "try, try again" game play is a nice throwback to days gone by.

-overall level design is great. very inspired.

-the secrets (memories, etc) are paced well and are sometimes just challenging enough to get to. Always worth it though.

-voice acting is great. Some of the lines uttered in the memory-pieces are clever and thought-provoking.

-also, in Chapter 1:
turning tiny to get between the row of hammering fists
was simply genious.

That is all. Off to Chapter 2!

Varna

Well this is disappointing. In CH 1 and I just hit the
segment before the train
. The physics looks pretty demanding but the game is running like shit now. :/

disappeared said:
-platforming is tight. If you fuck up it's not because the game was being cheap. It's because you fucked up. The "try, try again" game play is a nice throwback to days gone by.

-overall level design is great. very inspired.

-the secrets (memories, etc) are paced well and are sometimes just challenging enough to get to. Always worth it though.

Yeah dude! The jumping controls are so versatile. Two or three times I've managed to reach platforms, just using the float and twirl abilities, that I was supposed to activate air jets and whatnot to get to. You have so much control over you're distance if you use the mechanics well enough.

And I love the hidden platforming sequences paired with the collectibles, some of the best exploration rewarding I've witnessed in a game. The ones where you turn small to see the invisible moving platforms, then have to intuit the position of said moving platforms by recalling the trajectory you observed when small are awesome.

I'd love to see some challenge levels for this game, the jumping controls are just so fun.

EchosMyron1 said:
Yeah dude! The jumping controls are so versatile. Two or three times I've managed to reach platforms, just using the float and twirl abilities, that I was supposed to activate air jets and whatnot to get to. You have so much control over you're distance if you use the mechanics well enough.

And I love the hidden platforming sequences paired with the collectibles, some of the best exploration rewarding I've witnessed in a game. The ones where you turn small to see the invisible moving platforms, then have to intuit the position of said moving platforms by recalling the trajectory you observed when small are awesome.

I'd love to see some challenge levels for this game, the jumping controls are just so fun.

It was a really great feeling when the jump/twirl/glide system "clicked" for me. At that point you know exactly what you can do and it feels so right.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Rez said:
A lot of people in this thread are still very early on. I personally found the last chapter to be a trainwreck, chapter 3 to wobble between cool and really boring/drawn out, and chapter 5 to be kind of bad.

Mush

I have a friend who bought the PC version and she's wondering if the offer to get the original Alice is a console only thing. Is this true?

Zeal

Banned
I have never seen reviews more wrong, and now I realize why I stopped reading any at all. The art, music, atmosphere, gameplay...everything in this game is fucking awesome. Buy it, you won't regret your purchase.

Mush said:
I have a friend who bought the PC version and she's wondering if the offer to get the original Alice is a console only thing. Is this true?

not sure, but you can now grab it on Xbox Live for 800 points.

Varna

Don't know if it's the game or not but this physX thing just seems bad. There has been far more impressive things done without it and performance just seems bad.

Did some testing... Unloading the pepper gun into the ground is enough to drop the frame-rate from 60 to 50 using a dedicated 460GTX for physics. I tried the same thing again with just the 580GTX handling everything and it drops to 40... so yeah, an pretty powerful card only nets me 10 FPS for all that extra heat and power usage.

Dance In My Blood said:
A lot of people in this thread are still very early on. I personally found the last chapter to be a trainwreck, chapter 3 to wobble between cool and really boring/drawn out, and chapter 5 to be kind of bad.

I'm pretty far in, chapter 4, and couldn't disagree more.

Mush

Zeal said:
not sure, but you can now grab it on Xbox Live for 800 points.
Thanks for that. I'm watching her play the game right now lol and it seems interesting. Is PC the way to go for this or are the console versions comparable?

Top Bottom