• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

As of this morning, Alice has surpassed the Fear Collection and is #2 on the top sellers list on Steam. Seems to be doing pretty well.

I'm thinking about playing through the original again first but I can't seem to find it anywhere except for the $80+ Amazon copies.

Tizoc

Bought the game a few hours ago but won't start playing it until i finish Trinity on PS3.
When can we DL the first Alice game from PSN?
Also install is 4 GB for this game =_=;

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
It's three and a half gig, but you'll be over 4 when you've installed Alice 1, which is available now.

Replaying on Nightmare, my opinion of Madness has gone up a little - I genuinely want to see it through again, I think because the production is inspired a little more by Carroll and a little less by Hot Topic this time around.

Interesting dev fact: the writer/producer worked on The Faery Tale Adventure.

I bought this game off Steam yesterday (didn't care that it hasn't Alice 1 with it, since I already own it anyways). Played it this morning for about an hour or two and BY GOD is this game BEAUTIFUL!

I've never seen characters, enemies and locations that were designed so well before (except maybe Alice 1, but I never really played much of it. Have to correct that soon).

The only thing that crushed the beauty of these wonderful designs were the occasional lowres textures, but that I can ignore.

Also I really like the flow of Alice's hair. They really put quite some effort into it to make it flow correctly and I like little details like that.

Such a beautiful game. And the gameplay is good, too. Fighting works fine,
shooting with the peppermill is precise
and the platforming is well thought out and very well implemented.

GOTY material right there.
I really hope the game only get's better along the way (I'm still at Chapter 1).

EDIT: Also count me in with those who play the game with a controller (in my case an Xbox 360 Controller). Works very nice. Someone said, the game gets exceedingly difficult and one might not get far with a controller...well I'll prove him/her wrong!

Yeah I think this game is this year's Trine, a game I get as much enjoyment out of looking at as playing.
I wouldn't say it's everyone's cup of tea (hurr hurr) considering how slow and methodical the pacing is, and the general lack of OHMYGODDIDYOUSEETHATWASHOLYSHITAWESOME every 10 minutes. If you're tired of AAA megabudget hyperfocus-tested 5 hour interactive movies and glorified whack-a-mole shooters, buy this. If the art style and concept alone pique your interest, you're probably the type that will adore it.
Spot on. I love the sense of loneliness in wonderland, I would've also liked an even more of an absence of cutscenes and narration tbh. Maybe if playing this was my "work" I would've hated it.

I don't think think this is a love/hate game (the popular excuse for bad games derp) or anything like that, it's a good game that looks ridiculously good.

Whatever happened to Trine 2?

MYE

Despite the reviews, i want this game.
Like Epic Mickey i know i'l love this so yeah, screw the haters.

PS3 version here, hope there isnt anything wrong with that one.

Ceebs

AwesomeSauce said:
What trick?

This one I think

1. Go to where you installed AMR.
2. Enter the "Alice Madness Returns" folder, then "Game", then "Alice2", then "AliceGame", and then finally the "Config" folder.
3. Open the DefaultEngine. ini file in notepad or textpad or whatever means you use to open such files (I simply did right-click -> Edit on Win7).
4. Scroll down to the very bottom and you'll see this:

[AliceGame. AliceGameEngine]
Alice1Path=. . \. . \. . \Alice1\bin
GIsSpecialPCEdition=FALSE

5. Change "FALSE" to "TRUE"

6. Save the newly editted . ini and load Alice. You'll see the option to play AMA (but it won't work, it'll just force-close the game) and, when you go to the [equip] menu, you can select the DLC dresses and weapons (I had to use the arrow keys on the keyboard to switch dresses and weapons, but maybe I just wasn't clicking those arrows correctly and therefore I fail).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Rented the game, got 3/4 of the way through it and liked it. Alice's design (the character) is delicious. Fun game too. Listened to Invisible Walls yesterday and they called the game a piece of crap (I listen for the lulz). Repetitive? Yes. What game isn't though? I guess I really don't get gaming and gamers anymore if this is a piece of crap. I'm okay with that. =D

Ceebs

Kintaro said:
Rented the game, got 3/4 of the way through it and liked it. Alice's design (the character) is delicious. Fun game too. Listened to Invisible Walls yesterday and they called the game a piece of crap (I listen for the lulz). Repetitive? Yes. What game isn't though? I guess I really don't get gaming and gamers anymore if this is a piece of crap. I'm okay with that. =D
I find the game no more repetitive than something like God of War. Like those games, you pretty much have the entire move set early in the game and the game really throws nothing new at you in terms of the core gameplay for the next 10-12 hours. It does break the pace a bit with the minigame type stuff peppered throughout, but the majority of the game is jumping on platforms and fighting some guys.

Ceebs

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That is hilarious. Change one flag to true and all exclusive content is unlocked! Too bad about the "Play AMA" option not working.
I bet if the actual files where there it would work.

Ceebs

Anerythristic said:
talking about reviews I was surprised Giant Bomb gave it 4/5 stars
Well the guy on staff that really seems to love platformer games did the review for them.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Can you change dresses at any time in the game?
Yes, but you have to back out to the main menu.

B-Dex

So yeah... Chapter 4 is amazing.

The
Cardbridge!, The Executioner!, Dat Castle!

Game keeps getting better!

Any word on when AMA is coming to EU psn? Next week?

Also, this isn't an XBLA/PSN title - if you buy it off the store (it's up on Xbox) do you have to boot it through the sequel?

Pimpbaa

Dance In My Blood said:
It is an exceedingly difficult game, I can't imagine someone getting very far with a controller.

This isn't a first person shooter. This type of game is made for a controller.

MYE said:
Despite the reviews, i want this game.
Like Epic Mickey i know i'l love this so yeah, screw the haters.

PS3 version here, hope there isnt anything wrong with that one.

Been playing the PS3 version since yesterday. Runs great. Graphics, framerate, even anti-aliasing. Looks beautiful.

Not sure if this is ok but I mean no harm, will remove pic if needed

these are unused weapon DLC ideas that were in the artbook.

Get a petition going folks. We want that baby ! :D

33a7wg3.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bjoern the Smexy said:
EDIT: Also count me in with those who play the game with a controller (in my case an Xbox 360 Controller). Works very nice. Someone said, the game gets exceedingly difficult and one might not get far with a controller...well I'll prove him/her wrong!
He was talking about Alice 1. Without the precise mouse control that it was designed for and an ever-present quicksave key, it would be an incredibly frustrating game.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
luka said:
He was talking about Alice 1. Without the precise mouse control that it was designed for and an ever-present quicksave key, it would be an incredibly frustrating game.

And it is. I played about an hour of it last night on PS3, and... I just can't take it. For me, it's pretty much unplayable. I hate it when people use that word, since often the game is very playable despite their small complaints, but this... I've never completely given up on a game so early in. Maybe if it gets on GOG and goes on sale I'll buy it for PC and try again, but it is the most maddening thing with a controller.

I like platformers. I like good stories or convoluted stories because they're fun to decipher/note-take/figure out. I like crazy art directions. I like music. Should I get this game? It sounds like it's hitting all of these notes.

I like platformers. I like good stories or convoluted stories because they're fun to decipher/note-take/figure out. I like crazy art directions. I like music. Should I get this game? It sounds like it's hitting all of these notes.
Yes.

This has probably been asked but is the disc meant to keep spinning on 360 after you've installed ? It's extremely loud and annoying on mine.

THE Caffeinated said:
This has probably been asked but is the disc meant to keep spinning on 360 after you've installed ? It's extremely loud and annoying on mine.

Strange bug, but ..
There is a work around to stop that. Play a custom soundtrack before you boot to the game (either from the HDD or a memory stick). The music will turn off at the logos but will turn back on at the title screen. The disc should not be spinning now, then just turn off your custom music.

maybe add it to the op?

JRW

I dont understand the average critic reviews I think this game is very well done so far, The only odd thing was the 30fps cap set by default but I changed it to 60fps by editing the AliceEngine.ini ,The game uses decent PhysX effects although the pepper grinder's smoke effect causes performance to drop into the 30fps range with PhysX on High (GTX 480).

I tried getting used to it with mouse + key but It felt cumbersome, I then switched to my PS3 controller and it made a huge difference.

CO_Andy

luka said:
Breezed through Alice 1 last month on a Dualshock 3.

Jumping was a bit wonky, but thanks to the quicksave functionality it compensated for those platforming segments.

Mouse control... the right stick was more than enough as long as you fine-tuned the sensitivity. The enemies aren't THAT difficult, and you can choose to auto-aim, or use weapons that have homing.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished the game on hard. I just wish the chapters had been more varied and I'd be all over the game. Chapter 4 was actually really good, but both 3 and 5 were exercises in frustration. Now you can't help the feeling that levels just drone on and on and on ... This really kills the prospect of replaying on nightmare difficulty for me. Got bunch of secrets to find, but I value my sanity (sic).

On my way to Chapter 3. Loving every bit.

edit.. holy shit, post-Chapter 2...
When she talks to the psychiatrist at his home, then the house flashes to being totally dark and empty.
Creeped me the fuck out.
She's slowly breaking down and going overboard.
I love it.

Does anybody know if the PS3 version supports the photo capture mode? I'd love to start taking shots.

I think I figured something out.

This game is like if Silent Hill, a Disney film, and a solid action/platform game all fucked and had a baby.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
luka said:

Oh, right. Yeah, Alice 1 is pretty damn hard, even on the easiest difficulty.

And since my birthday was yesterday, June 18th, I got myself a birthday present from the Alice 2 store; a signed copy of the artbook and the Alice and the Vorpal Blade t-shirt. Good times, good times.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Combichristoffersen said:
Oh, right. Yeah, Alice 1 is pretty damn hard, even on the easiest difficulty.

And since my birthday was yesterday, June 18th, I got myself a birthday present from the Alice 2 store; a signed copy of the artbook and the Alice and the Vorpal Blade t-shirt. Good times, good times.
waitwaitwait, is the book actually in stock there? I ordered from amazon and they're expecting anywhere from late july to september.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
luka said:
waitwaitwait, is the book actually in stock there? I ordered from amazon and they're expecting anywhere from late july to september.

The expected shipping date on the Alice 2 store is June 24th

Pimpbaa

JRW said:
I dont understand the average critic reviews I think this game is very well done so far, The only odd thing was the 30fps cap set by default but I changed it to 60fps by editing the AliceEngine.ini ,The game uses decent PhysX effects although the pepper grinder's smoke effect causes performance to drop into the 30fps range with PhysX on High (GTX 480).

Are you sure it's the PhysX making it drop? I was getting drops too, but I turned off AA and it was fine.

Lime

Wow, just made it to the piano music part in the beginning of chapter 3 in the abandoned home of Radcliffe. Really moody in a good way, like something out of Silent Hill.

Erebus

This game is so beautiful on PC. I'm running PhysX at High on a dedicated 8800GTS but the frame rate will still drop to 30fps when there is too much smoke or particle effects on the screen.

Pimpbaa

DarkUSS said:
This game is so beautiful on PC. I'm running PhysX at High on a dedicated 8800GTS but the frame rate will still drop to 30fps when there is too much smoke or particle effects on the screen.

Try turning off AA like I said above. AA was a bigger hit in performance for me than PhysX on high/

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Yeah the AA is really weird in this game. Even on my 4870x2 it completely killed my framerate.

Game looked very sharp without it anyway.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
I have an i5@3.4
Gtx 460 a litte oc
And 8 gigs
of ram

Can i run the game on high with physyx and aa?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Pimpbaa said:
Are you sure it's the PhysX making it drop? I was getting drops too, but I turned off AA and it was fine.
On my 460 PhysX was usually the cause, and it was almost always the volumetric smoke that slowed things down. Probably something that varies card to card though.

Tokubetsu

To be fair, a lot of newer UE3 games don't need AA that badly. I was talking about this with Stallion while going through Hunted the other day. That game and this still look really good without AA.

Top Bottom