• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Ellis Kim

Banned
Spent all day yesterday playing through Alice 1, got to the maze.

.....this game has possibly THE worst and most frustrating combination of platforming, enemies, and weapons I have ever experienced in a game. I mean, holy fuck, yeah, which fuckhead developer thought it'd be a GREAT IDEA to not only have a lava-spitting fish monster who pops up randomly to spit fire at you that does dot damage while you're attempting to platform, but he ALSO has a fucking tongue-attack that pulls you away from the fucking platform that you're trying to land on mid-air, bringing you to your lava-filled fucking death?

Fucking hell, man. God damn.

There are literally areas of the game with monster instances that are designed to push you off of narrow passways. Seriously. Fucking asshole game designers.

Based on trophies, it looks like I'm almost done, so I'm going to soldier through the rest :I, THEN I'll start Madness Returns, the game that I actually paid for :D I trust that, at the very least, the combat's significantly improved.

luka said:
Eh, I'd just (re)read the books. Both of them are short and wouldn't take more than a few hours. Disney's interp just doesn't do it justice. (also it doesn't cover Through the Looking-Glass at all)
And yeah, if you can stomach the abstract quake 3 visuals the first game is worth playing. Knowledge of the story isn't necessary, (Alice goes to the asylum, retreats to wonderland to fix her problems, then gets better), but it's a lot like the novels in that the enjoyment is in the sheer insanity of what happens within the simple premise, and the ridiculously amusing exchanges and situations. Like, you don't need to know how the March Hare and the Dormouse became...the way they are in the sequel, but it would be that much more amusing having that small backstory by experiencing it.

BS. It has Tweedledee and Tweedledum in it as well as the Jaberwocky poem

One thing I liked better in Alice 1 is the music. I'm only on Chapter 2 but so far I haven't heard any good music other than the title screen.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ellis Kim said:
Spent all day yesterday playing through Alice 1, got to the maze.

.....this game has possibly THE worst and most frustrating combination of platforming, enemies, and weapons I have ever experienced in a game. I mean, holy fuck, yeah, which fuckhead developer thought it'd be a GREAT IDEA to not only have a lava-spitting fish monster who pops up randomly to spit fire at you that does dot damage while you're attempting to platform, but he ALSO has a fucking tongue-attack that pulls you away from the fucking platform that you're trying to land on mid-air, bringing you to your lava-filled fucking death?

Fucking hell, man. God damn.

There are literally areas of the game with monster instances that are designed to push you off of narrow passways. Seriously. Fucking asshole game designers.

Alice 1 is a good game, but yes, it does get hard as Duke Nukem's balls as you progress through the game

Pimpbaa

burgerdog said:
AA can't be that taxing. I'm running a fairly old CPU(e8400) with a 6870 and I'm getting a solid framerate.

AA can be very taxing and it can also be a negligible performance hit. AA is almost always taxing in games that use deferred rendering, which the the current unreal engine uses and also most likely why there wasn't so many UE games with in game AA for a while. And in the case of this game, think AA in combination with the PhysX smoke effects is really demanding.

Combichristoffersen said:
Alice 1 is a good game, but yes, it does get hard as Duke Nukem's balls as you progress through the game

I beat it in 2 sittings on normal. The Ice shooter, the jacks, and the
jabberwock eye staff
are the keys to victory. Also its good to take full advantage of those red things that turn you invincible and of course save often.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Anticitizen One said:
I beat it in 2 sittings on normal. The Ice shooter, the jacks, and the
jabberwock eye staff
are the keys to victory. Also its good to take full advantage of those red things that turn you invincible and of course save often.
Yep.

Before I left for the maze, I saw Humpty Dumpty, and he said nothing to me. Was that a glitch, or is he just meant to sit there to look pretty? At least I noticed him to re-check the tunnel and found the rifle thing that spends all of your mana.

leng jai

Dance In My Blood said:
On my 460 PhysX was usually the cause, and it was almost always the volumetric smoke that slowed things down. Probably something that varies card to card though.

Same thing happens on my GTX570 clocked to 580 levels. The smoke effect causes the frame rate to plummet.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
so what has more visual impact, AA or PhysX?

B-Dex

Physx adds a lot of neat stuff, especially to the floating ruin things. They drop a ton of sludge on the floor that morphs when you step in it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Anticitizen One said:
BS. It has Tweedledee and Tweedledum in it as well as the Jaberwocky poem

One thing I liked better in Alice 1 is the music. I'm only on Chapter 2 but so far I haven't heard any good music other than the title screen.
Having one or two characters or elements from the book doesn't mean it does any sort of justice to the material. Looking-glass was thematically very different from Wonderland and the animated movie was a total mishmash. I mean it had 5 directors who all wanted to do things differently and throw in whatever parts they liked. It's an ok movie, but it's not what I'd recommend to anyone interested in the source material.

Ellis Kim said:
Yep.

Before I left for the maze, I saw Humpty Dumpty, and he said nothing to me. Was that a glitch, or is he just meant to sit there to look pretty? At least I noticed him to re-check the tunnel and found the rifle thing that spends all of your mana.
The blunderbuss pretty much destroys the final boss. Other than that it doesn't have any practical use.
And no, Humpty does nothing.

Spicy Horse, I have been telling everyone I come across to play this game! Even after speaking with four people I felt I've done more work than EA did.

rallyart

Neo Member
Hello to everyone, may I ask you if is possible to play it with all graphics option maxed out, with physx high, and have 60 fps steady with a single gtx580 ????

Thanks

Combichristoffersen

gembel said:
how do i use my PS3 DS3 on PC? is it just plug and play with USB? :)

You have to install MotioninJoy. It's a bit of a hassle to set it up and all that, but once it's done it works like a charm. It even emulates the 360 controller, letting you use the DS3 in PC games that support the 360 controller.

Tokubetsu

burgerdog said:
So for Alice aa is demanding and has a negligible effect? I'll have to turn it off tomorrow and see the results.

If you're playing at 1080p or whatever Is your nativ res, yea. Aliasing is barely noticeable. You pretty much have to look for it.

Varna

dgenx said:
so what has more visual impact, AA or PhysX?

Currently my580GTX with a dedicated PhysX card will be dropped into the 30s because of all the volumetric smoke from the pepper gun. Even in a simple room with nothing else going on unloading the pepper gun will drop frames into the 30-40s. I've notice some drops when encountering a lot of enemies that drop oil patches as well. It's pretty disappointing when you think about it. I'm using a 460GTX for PhysX.

I'm doing some tweaking at the moment. There seems to be a lot you can do for the PhysX from the engine.ini, but there is no option for the volumetric smoke. :(

despite the reviews i picked this up (haven't played the first) and i'm really having fun with it.

the controls aggrevate me at times as well as the layout of the maps not being able to go places with invisible barriers but it has alot of charm IMO.

I also have a thing for Alice... not sure why a psychopath is attractive to me but she is.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Varna said:
I'm doing some tweaking at the moment. There seems to be a lot you can do for the PhysX from the engine.ini, but there is no option for the volumetric smoke. :(
If someone finds an option to keep the persistent physical leaves and butterflies when you jump, but lose all the other effects I'd be very much obliged.

Tokubetsu

I played a little bit with physx on medium. You really are missing a lot in some areas. Physx seems to add a ton of bubbles in Chapter two, making a better sell of you being underwater. It looks great.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Combichristoffersen said:
And since my birthday was yesterday, June 18th, I got myself a birthday present from the Alice 2 store...
Wait, there's a store?

*checks store*

Dammit, just when I thought I was done with wearing game teeshirts, they pull me back in. Maybe Alice can replace my lucky job interview Silent Hill 3 shirt.

(and happy birthday!)

Varna

luka said:
If someone finds an option to keep the persistent physical leaves and butterflies when you jump, but lose all the other effects I'd be very much obliged.

MaxFluidNumVerts and MaxParticleVertexMemory are two. Reducing them to zero should remove the associated effects.

I don't know what it is about this game. It doesn't really seem to be able to utilize anything but your main GPU for physX. Changing options in the control panel does nothing.

Combichristoffersen

D2M15 said:
Wait, there's a store?

*checks store*

Dammit, just when I thought I was done with wearing game teeshirts, they pull me back in. Maybe Alice can replace my lucky job interview Silent Hill 3 shirt.

(and happy birthday!)

The Alice shirt is the first video game related shirt I've bought since I got two Sonic t-shirts when I was.. 8 or 9 years old. Which was nearly 20 years ago :lol

Square Triangle said:
Spicy Horse, I have been telling everyone I come across to play this game! Even after speaking with four people I felt I've done more work than EA did.

Indeed. I've already told one friend to buy the game. Hope he does his part.

aronnov reborn said:
despite the reviews i picked this up (haven't played the first) and i'm really having fun with it.

the controls aggrevate me at times as well as the layout of the maps not being able to go places with invisible barriers but it has alot of charm IMO.

I also have a thing for Alice... not sure why a psychopath is attractive to me but she is.

You don't like the controls? That's fair, I suppose, but I've had nothing but praise for them. Platforming is tight, combat is butter-smooth, and controlling Alice is fine.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
disappeared said:
You don't like the controls? That's fair, I suppose, but I've had nothing but praise for them. Platforming is tight, combat is butter-smooth, and controlling Alice is fine.
If he's playing on mouse and keyboard I would agree. When a game starts heavily using Caps Lock something has usually gone wrong.

Varna said:
Currently my580GTX with a dedicated PhysX card will be dropped into the 30s because of all the volumetric smoke from the pepper gun. Even in a simple room with nothing else going on unloading the pepper gun will drop frames into the 30-40s. I've notice some drops when encountering a lot of enemies that drop oil patches as well. It's pretty disappointing when you think about it. I'm using a 460GTX for PhysX.

I'm having the same troubles with gtx590 sli, disappointing.

Game is great so far though.

EDIT: Dedicated one of the cores on the second card to physx and it runs like a dream now.

D2M15 said:
Wait, there's a store?

*checks store*

(and happy birthday!)

They have an Alice costume for sale. Sold out.

You just know that either a lot of guys bought that for their girlfriends, or a lot of girls bought it for their boyfriends.

Gvaz

Banned
DarkUSS said:
This game is so beautiful on PC. I'm running PhysX at High on a dedicated 8800GTS but the frame rate will still drop to 30fps when there is too much smoke or particle effects on the screen.
Well, I guess I'll be able to get a constant 60fps minimum on my desktop then (4890 here)

Varna

Col. John Matrix said:

EDIT: Dedicated one of the cores on the second card to physx and it runs like a dream now.

Do me a favor... just fire the pepper gun into the ground until it's empty. When the smoke starts rising does your Frame-rate stay at 60?

Damn this game is long. Still on Chapter 2
Releasing the souls of the dead sailors
and I feel like I've been playing for ages. Really hope it doesn't start to drag.

disappeared said:
They have an Alice costume for sale. Sold out.

You just know that either a lot of guys bought that for their girlfriends, or a lot of girls bought it for their boyfriends.

That dress is hot.

dochuge

I think I'm in agreement with Giant Bomb's review the most. It is a good game but definitely needs to have shorter levels/more levels instead. I'm on Chapter two now and things are starting to drag a bit. Still having fun with the game though.

Doc

kamspy

TheExodu5 said:
My SLI GTX 570 somehow can't even manage 60fps in Mirror's Edge because of PhysX. I just don't bother with PhysX anymore.

Set one of them as s PhysX card(instead of SLI) and you'll be good to go.

JohngPR

D2M15 said:
Wait, there's a store?

I'm tempted to order the art book from there. Amazon has it for cheaper, but if you get it from the Alice store, it's signed by American Mcgee along with the art director at Spicy Horse.

leng jai

JohngPR said:
I'm tempted to order the art book from there. Amazon has it for cheaper, but if you get it from the Alice store, it's signed by American Mcgee along with the art director at Spicy Horse.

For people in Australia its significantly cheaper from Amazon UK if you factor in the $25 shipping charge. 19 pounds plus free shipping versus 60USD shipped.

~Kinggi~ said:
lmao, goddamn pervs the whole lot of you

http://alice2store.com/alice-apparel/alice-ladies-apparel/mad-alice-costume

solds out

wish i had a girl to buy this for :(
why did you post this once it was sold out :(

i'd have totally bought this for my wife to wear at halloween. maybe they'll do other costumes since it was popular. here's hoping.

buying the 'Alice and the Vorpal' t-shirt right now anyways.

edit: thank me later perverts

edit 2: if you're looking for some appropriate hosiery...

Smokey

Col. John Matrix said:

gtx 590 sli as in you have 2 590s (quad-sli) and you're still having issues?

Top Bottom