• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

abq

This game would be so much more enjoyable if they cut out 1/2 of the game (especially the gimmicky parts). Great art direction, but the chapters keep dragging on forever.

So I just thought I'd chime in since I've been playing it. As someone who doesn't like platfourmers I'm finding the game really enjoyable. The jumping is actually pretty solid and easy, even if it doesn't have auto catch or something.

hlhbk

I know if you buy the console version new it comes with a download code for the origional game. Does the PC version have the same? I have checked on both Origin and Steam and can't tell.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
hlhbk said:
I know if you buy the console version new it comes with a download code for the origional game. Does the PC version have the same? I have checked on both Origin and Steam and can't tell.

No, it doesn't. Origin had a limited time offer where you got the Complete Collection (Alice 1 HD and Alice 2 incl. DLC), but the offer only lasted until June 18th.

hlhbk

Combichristoffersen said:
No, it doesn't. Origin had a limited time offer where you got the Complete Collection (Alice 1 HD and Alice 2 incl. DLC), but the offer only lasted until June 18th.

Damn. I never completed the first and am now not sure which platform to buy the new one on....

Amir0x

Banned
Ok I've played this game quite a bit and at this point I don't understand what was supposed to be wrong with this game.

I never was a fan of the first game but imo this game is vastly superior to that one. Most importantly, the platforming mechanics feel extremely solid, which is something I'm pretty critical in with a genre like this. It obviously doesn't have the brilliant level design of a Nintendo platformer, but it makes up for some of the general deficiencies of its mediocre combat and its hit-or-miss level design with great variety in both art and challenges.

This is actually a pretty GREAT game. The music is solid, the art is ranges from a bit too Hot Topic to amazing, and the controls/platforming physics are really rock solid. It's a 8/10 game really, easy.

I can't believe this is a game I'm on board with. Complete surprise.

Combichristoffersen

hlhbk said:
Damn. I never completed the first and am now not sure which platform to buy the new one on....

The game runs fine on consoles too, but to be honest, even if I like the first game a lot, it has very clunky controls, which haven't aged very well at all. Besides, you don't really need to play Alice 1 to get the hang of what's going on in Alice 2.

JRW

hlhbk said:

What are your PC specs? If you have an Nvidia card you can benefit from the added PhysX effects which you wont see in the console versions, you can also make PC version run at 60fps by editing one of the .ini files. (console versions are locked @ 30fps).

This video shows off some of the PhysX effects in Alice2

Also the first Alice was designed for mouse + keyboard and feels a little off with a gamepad according to reviews. (On the other hand Alice 2 feels best with a gamepad lol, Im using my PS3 controller with PC version).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I want the soundtrack on a CD, the soundtrack is available in Amazon but just digital it's too good to be just digital download, it's too good to be digital only, I want it on a CD and to put it next to Alice 1 soundtrack.

on other hand, my coworker ( movie buff, play sometimes and own a PS3) bought the game after a little talk about how crazy and twisted the game is ( just spoiled the first game , nothing from Madness Return) and she said it's what she was hoping to see in the awful Tim Burton movie, now I wonder if there is a market and EA didn't even thought about it.

Amir0x said:
Ok I've played this game quite a bit and at this point I don't understand what was supposed to be wrong with this game.

I never was a fan of the first game but imo this game is vastly superior to that one. Most importantly, the platforming mechanics feel extremely solid, which is something I'm pretty critical in with a genre like this. It obviously doesn't have the brilliant level design of a Nintendo platformer, but it makes up for some of the general deficiencies of its mediocre combat and its hit-or-miss level design with great variety in both art and challenges.

This is actually a pretty GREAT game. The music is solid, the art is ranges from a bit too Hot Topic to amazing, and the controls/platforming physics are really rock solid. It's a 8/10 game really, easy.

No one know what is going on with the reviewers on this games especially the " trusted" magazines and sites that gave it 5/10 scores.

I think it's mostly because the 3D platforming and puzzle solving and the not so shallow easy-automatic combat( that classic old structure), new generation of reviewers can't handles old school stuff like that,which is completely sad.

hlhbk

JRW said:
What are your PC specs? If you have an Nvidia card you can benefit from the added PhysX effects which you wont see in the console versions, you can also make PC version run at 60fps by editing one of the .ini files. (console versions are locked @ 30fps).

This video shows off some of the PhysX effects in Alice2

Also the first Alice was designed for mouse + keyboard and feels a little off with a gamepad according to reviews. (On the other hand Alice 2 feels best with a gamepad lol, Im using my PS3 controller with PC version).

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

I also am using a geforce 8600 GT to do physx. I can run physx just fine in Batman.

Dambrosi

Banned
Probably already answered, but:

1) Is the downloadable American McGee's Alice on XBLA and PSN playable without the Alice disc release or not? I've been hearing conflicting reports.

2) If so, which version should I get - XBLA or PSN? Any differences?

3) Actually, any differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions of Madness Returns? Sorry, but I ain't gonna wade through thirty-odd pages to find my answer.

If they've already been answered, just link me to the post/s.

Combichristoffersen

Dambrosi said:
Probably already answered, but:

1) Is the downloadable American McGee's Alice on XBLA and PSN playable without the Alice disc release or not? I've been hearing conflicting reports.

2) If so, which version should I get - XBLA or PSN? Any differences?

3) Actually, any differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions of Madness Returns? Sorry, but I ain't gonna wade through thirty-odd pages to find my answer.

If they've already been answered, just link me to the post/s.

1) No, you need the Alice 2 disc.

2) I think they are the same, really.

3) Not any major differences AFAIK, the 360 version has some ground layer texture thing in the first level that the PS3 version lacks, while the PS3 version has some AA going on that I think the 360 version lacks (but don't quote me on that last one, as I'm not 100% sure)

iammeiam

Amir0x said:

How far in? A couple of the later chapters wind up feeling overlong to some, and given that there's only five full chapters, it can kind of dampen the overall impression of the game. While there's variety from chapter to chapter, at points in chapters three and five I was pretty much over the individual chapters but they refused to end. I imagine this was more in the forefront of reviewers' minds, since they have a limited time to get through the game and get the review out, and so they couldn't just call it a day when they were sick of a particular chapter.

I'm okay with Alice being ranked a 7/10 game, but it's the rare one that I think could actually easily rank higher with nothing changed beyond editing out some sections. And, going a step further, with more chapters of shorter length (although leaving chapter 4 alone, since it's freaking perfect), this probably wouldn't have had any competition for my GOTY.

Amir0x

Banned
man i don't know i sort of don't want this to end because platformers like so are rare enough so I doubt I'll consider it a problem.

I am not up to 5 yet though

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had fun with the game all the way through. If anything I'm 'disappointed' that there wasn't a fully featured sixth chapter.

Dambrosi

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
1) No, you need the Alice 2 disc.

2) I think they are the same, really.

3) Not any major differences AFAIK, the 360 version has some ground layer texture thing in the first level that the PS3 version lacks, while the PS3 version has some AA going on that I think the 360 version lacks (but don't quote me on that last one, as I'm not 100% sure)
Thanks, much appreciated. I'll just play the PC version of the original that I already own, then, and get Alice 2 in a couple weeks.

mujun

Amir0x said:

This sums up how I feel exactly. Only thing I would change is that I think the combat is better than mediocre. First time I have ever wondered how the hell metacritic score is so low. Totally an 8 out of 10 for me, too.

Amir0x said:

warms the cockles of my heart to see you on board with it.

it's definately my sleeper of the year so far.

Amir0x

Banned
Totobeni said:
No one know what is going on with the reviewers on this games especially the " trusted" magazines and sites that gave it 5/10 scores.

I think it's mostly because the 3D platforming and puzzle solving and the not so shallow easy-automatic combat( that classic old structure), new generation of reviewers can't handles old school stuff like that,which is completely sad.

Man is it really that hard to them?

I started the game on Nightmare and am breezing through it.

I mean relative to MARIO it's hard, but enough to 5/10 this game? Especially with such solid mechanics? The actual gameplay is really, really... I dunno, polished. It was clearly playtested well. It's so easy to fuck up platforming mechanics in a platformer, but they didn't. I never miss my jumps and I feel the way they handle the old "double/triple" jump stand by works well here with the added float modifier, since it really matters WHEN you press the double jump more than most other games I've played. This adds an element of skill I didn't expect.

It's really just a sweet game. It's not the game of the year but it is certainly for my money the surprise of the year.

Symphonic

Building my new PC on Sunday, so I'm waiting to play this until then. The hype is seriously destroying me though, I fucking love games like this.

Varna

Amir0x said:

Very truly sad if this is the case. As far as platformer games go, this is one of the easiest I've ever played (I'm on chapter 4). The jumping is just so forgiving and it never feels like you just barely made it. It's incredibly accessible. In the first game, within 20 minutes you encounter puzzles and jumps that are far beyond a majority of Madness Returns.

I do kind of wish the game had more of those frustrating segments. I started on nightmare mode as well but I'm finding it to be a breeze. You spend most of your time exploring and difficulty is the same for that no matter what. Would have been neat if they had maybe toned down your jumping ability on higher difficulty levels.

I still really enjoy this game. For this first playthrough it's fairly balanced. Beautiful visuals, solid mechanics, interesting story. I don't know how it will hold up a second time around though.

EDIT: I'm not sure which I prefer at this point. Getting back into older games has never been an issue for me. The only real part I think Madness Returns does better is combat. Everything else is scaled back. I certainly know that an Alice 1 game on this new engine would be the best thing ever though.

JRW

Totobeni said:
I want the soundtrack on a CD, the soundtrack is available in Amazon but just digital it's too good to be just digital download, it's too good to be digital only, I want it on a CD and to put it next to Alice 1 soundtrack.

When I first saw the Alice 2 tracklist I was disappointed to see Chris Vrenna only did one track for the game but now that ive been playing (currently Chapter 4) I'd have to say i'm pretty happy with the soundtrack overall.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Gonna buy Alice this weekend. Was gonna wait for a sale, but fuck it. I want something bright and colorful to play around with.

Amir0x said:
man i don't know i sort of don't want this to end because platformers like so are rare enough so I doubt I'll consider it a problem.

I am not up to 5 yet though

Chapter 5
The Dollhouse
, is my favorite aesthetically and it contains, appropriately, the most hardcore platforming in the game. My Favorite chapter of the game :)

Wow, this did not deserve a 69 on Meta. :(

Usually I don't comment on scores but tis a bit sad.

I think many critics have just lost the knack for timing a sequence of jumps to overcome obstacles. It's sad that 3D platformers are falling enough out of favor to be getting the same kind of misunderstood criticisms that JRPG's will often often. But I think that's what's going on.

I've said it before, but the platforming in Madness Returns is some of the best in class. I would make it to platforms that you're supposed to activate air-jets or whatever to be able to reach, just with a well enough understanding of the jump & twirl mechanics.

You can get almost as much variable distance and height out of a jump as a Mario game. Most platformers opt for a much more static jump because it's easier to plot that trajectory of platforms for one. In Alice you have so much control over your jumping, and it's so smooth, that it feels like a treat in itself, to just jump around.

frequency

Besides my comments in an earlier post regarding why I think the reviews are what they are - I think it may also just be effect of the rushed nature of reviews. Personally, I don't think this is the type of game you would want to blast through in just a few sessions of play. Almost all the reviews say how each chapter is too long or the gameplay drags.

These are fair criticisms if you're playing the game in abnormally long sessions to rush a review out. I think if I had sat through entire chapters at a time, I'd probably like this game a bit less than I do too.

I normally don't care about scores either, but this will undoubtedly affect sales... I don't want to wait an additional 10 years for another good American McGee game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Totobeni said:
on other hand, my coworker ( movie buff, play sometimes and own a PS3) bought the game after a little talk about how crazy and twisted the game is ( just spoiled the first game , nothing from Madness Return) and she said it's what she was hoping to see in the awful Tim Burton movie, now I wonder if there is a market and EA didn't even thought about it.

Wiki

In December 2000, director Wes Craven signed on to develop a film adaptation of the game, with screenwriter John August hired to adapt the game for the big screen. American McGee had begun negotiations with Dimension Films 10 months before, with the studio committing to the project before Craven's signing.[19] In September 2001, August explained that he had turned in a script treatment for Alice and was not attached to develop fuller drafts for the film adaptation.[20] In February 2002, Dimension Films signed brother screenwriters Jon and Erich Hoeber to write the screenplay for Alice.[21] In July 2003, the brothers announced that they had completed the script for the film adaptation.[22]

In 2004 the project moved from Dimension Films to 20th Century Fox, but in 2005 Universal Pictures acquired the rights. As of June 2008, producer Scott Faye indicated the film was in "turnaround" from Universal. He admitted that the script needed development, but would be used to attract the attention of a new studio.[23] At one point the film rights were reported to have been owned by Sarah Michelle Gellar, a self-confessed fan of the game, who noted in 2008 that she's "not giving up" on the film,[24] but a few months later she was reported to have left the project.[25]

Looks I'll finally be picking this up tomorrow after the ball and chain gets off work. I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that the critics were actually extremely off base with this game.

frequency said:
Besides my comments in an earlier post regarding why I think the reviews are what they are - I think it may also just be effect of the rushed nature of reviews. Personally, I don't think this is the type of game you would want to blast through in just a few sessions of play. Almost all the reviews say how each chapter is too long or the gameplay drags.

I cant currently think of a game that I wouldn't respond to more negatively if I kept playing past the point of wanting to anymore for the current session. Except for Mario Galaxy 2, since I'm always in the mood to play Mario Galaxy 2.

It would especially make me prone to hating Open-World games since the majority of them are designed around doing the same 4 or so very specific things over and over. (that's of course a tad reductionist)

frequency

EchosMyron1 said:
I cant currently think of a game that I wouldn't respond to more negatively if I kept playing past the point of wanting to anymore for the current session. Except for Mario Galaxy 2, since I'm always in the mood to play Mario Galaxy 2.

It would especially make me prone to hating Open-World games since the majority of them are designed around doing the same 4 or so very specific things over and over. (that's of course a tad reductionist)
Fair point. I guess I should just stop trying to understand reviewers.

mujun

Amir0x said:

I started the game on Nightmare and am breezing through it.

I mean relative to MARIO it's hard, but enough to 5/10 this game? Especially with such solid mechanics? The actual gameplay is really, really... I dunno, polished. It was clearly playtested well. It's so easy to fuck up platforming mechanics in a platformer, but they didn't. I never miss my jumps and I feel the way they handle the old "double/triple" jump stand by works well here with the added float modifier, since it really matters WHEN you press the double jump more than most other games I've played. This adds an element of skill I didn't expect.

It's really just a sweet game. It's not the game of the year but it is certainly for my money the surprise of the year.

There are some glitches but they are few and far between.

One is checkpoint fuck ups, last night I made it within a hair of finishing up a long set of tasks but missed a jump. I'd done it before and it reset me to right near the end. This time however it actually kicked me out of the sub world I was in and forced me to do a boss fight again as well as all the pain in the ass platforming after that.

Second one is the camera. It can be finicky but I had some major trouble with the timers you have to shoot in chapter 2. It wouldn't give me back control as soon as the camera stopped panning to show me the timer coming up. It forced me to platform while I couldn't even see Alice. It got pretty frustrating.

EchosMyron1 said:

this is a really good point. i guess it's the nature of the beast with these reviews that have to be out on a timeline. i don't even think i could play a sports game for 4-8 hours over the course of a few days and not be sick of it.

this kind of sucks in that i have a pretty big backlog of games but i just can't really stand playing a game for hours and hours in a row, no matter how good the game is

Top Bottom