• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

I think I'm nearing the end of Chapter 4 now. This game...it's so damn amazing I can hardly believe it. But what I really wanted to point out was:

Did anyone else notice that Psychonauts easter egg in chapter 4? It was in one of those hidden areas with a memory. Sorry if it's old news, but I thought it was pretty amusing. :)

Chapter 4 was soooooooo much better than chapter 3. Quick paced, and I finished it in one sitting, whereas I was trudging through chapter 3 for a week. Slide, find these blocks, block puzzle, samurai wasps, slide, find these blocks blearrrrrrrgh. I LOVED the executioner in chapter 4, reminded me of Nemesis. And the final scene with him made me laugh out loud. Here's hoping the rest of the game is more chapter 4 and less chapter 3.

I just got my autographed art book this past Friday. I was on vacation so I'm just now getting a chance to check it out.

It's hard bound and about 185 full-color pages. It's published by Dark Horse and everything is very high quality. I have collected a decent amount of anime/manga and video game art books and this is definitely one of my new favorites. Highly recommended! The "premium" for the autographed version was definitely worth it.

RavenFox

Banned
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I just got my autographed art book this past Friday. I was on vacation so I'm just now getting a chance to check it out.

It's hard bound and about 185 full-color pages. It's published by Dark Horse and everything is very high quality. I have collected a decent amount of anime/manga and video game art books and this is definitely one of my new favorites. Highly recommended! The "premium" for the autographed version was definitely worth it.
Where can one acquire the autographed version?

98vako.jpg

As promised. It's a pretty good recreation. A bit more low cut than Alice's version, and it'll need a petticoat to make it spread out as much as it should, but there's plenty of time to get that before Halloween.

edit: just for clarification, this is not a picture of me. it is a picture of my wife. i have testicles.

Amir0x

Banned
beat the game. only disappointment besides the few problems discussed earlier are that they didn't take the opportunity to make a rad gothic train platforming level :(

edit: nice costume plagiarize. You should make the costume she wears during the second part of chap 4. That's a badass costume.

Amir0x said:
beat the game. only disappointment besides the few problems discussed earlier are that they didn't take the opportunity to make a rad gothic train platforming level :(
the gothic train was really cool looking. i'd have been happy enough even if they let me walk through those train car interiors rather than them being all cutscene. would have been nice to take a few extra moments to appreciate those 'sets'.

what i've seen of the art book makes me want a follow up to this even more. they didn't exhaust their concepts in this game.

LiK

Amir0x said:

edit: nice costume plagiarize. You should make the costume she wears during the second part of chap 4. That's a badass costume.
I love her costume in Chapter 4 too.

Amir0x said:

i didn't make anything. they sell this, and i bought it. i'd buy other costumes if they make those too.

Amir0x

Banned
plagiarize said:
i didn't make anything. they sell this, and i bought it. i'd buy other costumes if they make those too.

Ah. I was thinking of buying the Vorpal Blade but I don't think I'm quite at that level of fandom

still, neat memento

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Amir0x said:

seeing the the artbook I think they were going to make one ( and London level too).

Any thought on how they handled the story and storytelling ( since you hate most of the video game stories) and I for myself thought it's very good here , also since no one touch the
pedophilia subject or forced sexual slavery in video games
any take from you on this too?

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
I LOVED the executioner in chapter 4, reminded me of Nemesis. And the final scene with him made me laugh out loud. Here's hoping the rest of the game is more chapter 4 and less chapter 3.

I'm sorta pissed that the final scene with the executioner was spoiled for me already by trailers. I feel like that whole part would've been a whole lot more intense for if I didn't see the end coming. But oh well...still had a big ol' grin on my face when he dropped the scythe. :)

Chapter 5, while not my favorite level, has definitely been the most creepy so far. Those giant eyeless baby dolls send shivers down my spine. I plan on finishing it off tonight.

bubnbob

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Is the first one worth playing? I mean, I guess so, it has trophies at least.

I just started it - to get me in that "story" mode in preparation for the sequel... it's really bad. Floaty, combat sucks, annoying ass bugs tat constantly drop bombs (Wonderland Woods) - omgggg ripping my hair out.

Narcosis

I'm about halfway through this game now (the actual Madness Returns, not the P.O.S. Alice 1 console port I posted about earlier) and damn, so far this is one of my favorite games of recent times.

I really find myself compelled to ignore most of my growing Steam backlog and keep returning to this game this week. Even on the consoles this game looks great (mainly due to the excellent artistic design of the characters and environments) and I love the creativity behind the worlds themselves. This visual design reminds me of a Tim Burton project, which is always a positive comparison in my book.

I don't find the platforming segments to be too challenging or frustrating, but I don't think they're anything to write home about either. This is no Mario Galaxy or Ratchet, but I tend to think of this game as more comparable to Zelda or Darksiders anyways, and in that regard it holds up very well in comparison. I think they mixed just the right amount of exploration and fighting to keep me from getting sick of either and the combat really opens up if you allow yourself the chance to play on hard or higher.

Samus4145

While I started off loving the game, I was left with a meh overall taste
chapter 3 and 5 killed it for me. Why did they have to drag out those boring levels so long. Ended up being a game breaker for me

I finally finished the original Alice, and I did not enjoy it. It got really frustrating during a few levels towards the end. I doubt I'll be playing that again. Hopefully Madness Returns proves to be far more enjoyable.

LiK

Amir0x said:
Ah. I was thinking of buying the Vorpal Blade but I don't think I'm quite at that level of fandom

still, neat memento
I might buy it too. I like the design on the blade

just finished this game yesterday. absolutely LOVED the art style in this game. gameplay was super repetitive though and the levels seemed almost unnecessarily long. glad i rented it though based on the GAF praise because I would have most likely overlooked this game.

Amir0x

Banned
Totobeni said:
seeing the the artbook I think they were going to make one ( and London level too).

Any thought on how they handled the story and storytelling ( since you hate most of the video game stories) and I for myself thought it's very good here , also since no one touch the
pedophilia subject or forced sexual slavery in video games
any take from you on this too?

I mean sure most games don't touch the subject but I don't think it was special in delivery. It didn't say much at all, actually, except that the subject in question elicits a really angry response and fucks people up. Which is all pretty obvious.

I like the cut out cutscene style they had for this game, though. Even though I didn't follow the story too closely, I liked watching it.

LiK said:
I might buy it too. I like the design on the blade

Yeah, plus I like cutting things. You know, like paper and meat and such. Is it really sharp, I wonder...

Amir0x said:
I mean sure most games don't touch the subject but I don't think it was special in delivery. It didn't say much at all, actually, except that the subject in question elicits a really angry response and fucks people up. Which is all pretty obvious.

I like the cut out cutscene style they had for this game, though. Even though I didn't follow the story too closely, I liked watching it.

Yeah, plus I like cutting things. You know, like paper and meat and such. Is it really sharp, I wonder...
It isn't sharp but it is steel so it could be sharpened.

Also, no one is borrowing my wife.

I liked it. The art alone is worth the price, however it is very repetitive and a tad to long. If it was shorter and more focused on variety instead of being long and the same would have been a much better game. I would say like 6/10, I played it on PC and the added visuals is a nice touch though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Time for blurry cell phone photos, yay! Got a package in the mail today, what could this be? Most likely a bomb or anthrax, going by my usual luck.

DSC00006.jpg

No ticking sounds, so far so good. Let's open it up.

DSC00007.jpg

Another box inside? Huh, I'll leave it for now and look at what else is in there. And no, the coffeemaker was not in the box.

DSC00008.jpg

That's nice, the blade looks really awesome. Ready to slice and dice. Let's get back to that other box.

DSC00009.jpg

Ah, so that was the content of the white box. Notice the American McGee's Alice logo is printed on the stand.

TheOddOne

Yeah, you guys where right about
the opening of chapter 4, strangly it felt out of place in the context of the tone of the other levels

Plagiarize, that outfit simply looks wonderful your wife. ;-)

My graphic card is having constant problem. Running a dual 250 is not the optimal setting of playing Alice. I need both cards to run the game with some decent framerate. I played Alice for a while without both cards (maid busted one of the cards), it was fine up to chapter 3...then I chilled in the single digits for 50% of the time.

I really need to pick up a new video card. :-(

Combichristoffersen said:
Time for blurry cell phone photos, yay! Got a package in the mail today, what could this be? Most likely a bomb or anthrax, going by my usual luck.

Ah, so that was the content of the white box. Notice the American McGee's Alice logo is printed on the stand.
i love the notion that you photograph all of your packages just incase they are bombs.

the stand is nice. been considering getting one myself. slightly more tempted now.

Is the ps3 version all right? I could think of taking the pc version, but I would prefer to have this game on console, if it is decent .

Going from the original to Madness Returns, the improvement with combat is amazing. Plus, they included a dodge move which the first game could have used. Just another reason for me not to play the original again.

StuBurns

Banned
Alice 1 wasn't good at the time.

And yes, Alice 2 is totally playable on PS3. The performance is pretty messy for the first ten minutes or so, but after that it's fine.

Amir0x

Banned
StuBurns said:
Alice 1 wasn't good at the time.

And yes, Alice 2 is totally playable on PS3. The performance is pretty messy for the first ten minutes or so, but after that it's fine.

I totally agree Alice was pretty bad even at the time. However, there was a big group of people who disagreed with me and the critics - just like they did with Alice: Madness Returns - wrongly analyzed the title. Only it was in the opposite direction. They really fucking overrated it.

TheOddOne

You know what fucking frustrates me about the first Alice? Your fucking swinging your blade and it hits nothing. Enemy hits you, you can now kill the enemy! 1/3 of health gone. Fuck this.

Gigglepoo

Finished my second playthrough last night (first on PC, second on 360) and it's even better the second time. I absolutely adore the world. Easily one of my favorite games of the year. Shame that Spicy Horse has moved away from consoles.

eshwaaz

I'm not typically a fan of platformers, but I'm a good ways into Chapter 3 and just love this game. It's certainly not the most technically impressive or refined title out there, but the sheer amount of visual and artistic diversity is incredible. The world they've created is so imaginative and appealing; I can't believe I almost missed out on it.

Rented this for the PS3, currently in chapter 3. Oh my goodness, this game is so boring. -_- I wish I could say that I'm pushing on for the story, but as it stands the narrative is unnecessarily convoluted and unengaging. On the plus side, I really love the model for Alice, and the overall art direction is good. The combat is adequate, but it can be frustrating at times due to its flaws. Then there is the platforming, which is slow and repetitive. It has its moments, but every aspect of the game seems to be overstaying its welcome.

the chris

ninj4junpei said:
Rented this for the PS3, currently in chapter 3. Oh my goodness, this game is so boring. -_- I wish I could say that I'm pushing on for the story, but as it stands the narrative is unnecessarily convoluted and unengaging. On the plus side, I really love the model for Alice, and the overall art direction is good. The combat is adequate, but it can be frustrating at times due to its flaws. Then there is the platforming, which is slow and repetitive. It has its moments, but every aspect of the game seems to be overstaying its welcome.
Pretty much my thoughts, the levels were nice, but they went on too long. And some of the ideas that were kind of cool at first were done one too many times(I'm looking at you side-scrolling parts.) I would love the length of the game if there were more environments and not just the same level for two to three hours.

TheOddOne said:
You know what fucking frustrates me about the first Alice? Your fucking swinging your blade and it hits nothing. Enemy hits you, you can now kill the enemy! 1/3 of health gone. Fuck this.

You haven't felt true anger until you experience the second Jabberwock fight.

Top Bottom