• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
@plagiarize ...freaking awesome pick up dude.

leng jai said:
I wish there was a whole game based in Old London - I actually preferred the art there to a lot of Wonderland.

In the Artbook, you can see that they were going to make more events in London, even a platforming level.

StuBurns said:
Just tried Alice 1, every bit the clunky poo I remember. I was hoping they'd have ported the work that went into the canceled Xbox port but it looks like they've just used the PC version.

The problem with the port that they didn't change the controls, Alice 1 actually was a first person game that play in third person mode and that require mouse and Keys, they didn't changed the controls at all, so it was unplayable.

Varna said:
He is right about the platforming. It never really gets interesting. The last two chapters have some decent segments, but that's about it. I mentioned it earlier, but 20 minutes into the original Alice and you encounter jumps and puzzles far beyond anything in this game.

With all due respect Sir, I completely disagree, I think Madness Returns is superior in almost everything.

RPGCrazied said:
Is the dress pack worth it? Can you get those dresses in the game at all? If not, I guess I'll buy it soon.

Only $2, why wouldn't I? lol

They are good if you want to play the game again in harder difficulties or collect everything since they are ( with the weapons) actually cheat codes.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
DidntKnowJack said:
What gets me in the PS3 version of the downloadable Alice (first game) there is no background downloading? What's up with that?

huh? there is, I downloaded it while playing other game on PS3.

Maralist

Neo Member
I tried the game last weekend, and that combat is hugely unforgiving. Early on especially, even with having the big weekends at the very beginning.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DidntKnowJack said:
I don't know. For some reason it wouldn't let me before. I'll try again.
It wouldn't let me either. Maybe it adds to your download list and you can go into the store after.

RPGCrazied

Also, I guess my PS3 is dying. I don't see any screen tearing, but I am seeing a lot of suttering in the game. Is it just me? I'm still in chapter 1 though.

StuBurns

Banned
RPGCrazied said:
Also, I guess my PS3 is dying. I don't see any screen tearing, but I am seeing a lot of suttering in the game. Is it just me? I'm still in chapter 1 though.
Doesn't sound good. I was getting pretty solid 30 after the first couple of minutes until some very late combat encounters, and even then just some slow down.

RPGCrazied

StuBurns said:
Doesn't sound good. I was getting pretty solid 30 after the first couple of minutes until some very late combat encounters, and even then just some slow down.

It does play smooth, but it has some jerkiness to it. Oh well, I guess I'll keep playing until I finally get the YLOD.

Merchandise is pretty cool, just snagged myself a Vorpal Blade so I can practise my stabbing.
Roberto_jpg_627x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Check out the crazy teapot.

2344386.jpg.size-300_square-true.jpg

StuBurns

Banned
Overall I was actually impressed with how well the game plays at 30. I'm not a 60 or die guy or anything, but some genres seem to benefit from it much more than others, and 3D platformers are typically one of them for me, but all the animations are nice and fluid even at thirty. It was clearly designed with that in mind. I didn't feel like I missed out playing it on PS3 at all. Very pleased.

Yeah, I played at 60 but I can't see 30 being a problem. It's not Galaxy where you're controlling a character who can stop and turn on a dime, and there needs to be basically zero input lag. Because of the way that the animation system works you're locked into a particular movement for a few hundred milliseconds at a time, so having more responsiveness makes no real difference at all.

Grisby

I had some herk and jerk in ch4 and other areas on my slim 360. It wasn't completely smooth but it was still more than fine.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RPGCrazied said:
Those fucking ghosts that shoot air at you are so fucking cheap. Who designed this game? D:

American McGee did :p But the easiest way to deal with those annoying flying ghosts is to shoot cards at them when they come down to attack you, and otherwise just run around

Varna said:
Your going to really sit there and tell me AMR is a more challenging game?

It's not. But AMR is still a better game than the original Alice in pretty much every way

Varna

Totobeni said:
With all due respect Sir, I completely disagree, I think Madness Returns is superior in almost everything.

Your going to really sit there and tell me AMR is a more challenging game?

So, I got my Vorpal Blade up to IV, got the Teapot Cannon and was mowing down fools in combat.

Now I get to a platforming part in Chapter 3 (basically at the beginning) that I just can't do because it involves moving hidden platforms. Normally this isn't an issue since you can generally shrink before each one to refresh the lines. But this one involves landing on a plume of steam (can't remember exactly what it's called) and landing on a moving hidden platform kind of to the side of it. The combination of not having the outlines, plus the disorientation of having to move sideways is making it quite hard to do.

Anyone have any hints or is this just a thing either you can or can't do?

Edit: Nevermind, watching it in a playthough you don't actually have to use the hidden platforms, there's a lower platform I didn't see.

Holy hell, is every chapter as long as the first one? I don't know exactly how long I played this afternoon, but it was at least 2 hours, and I never did get all the way through chapter one. Finally, after dying like 5 times in a row trying to make my way across a lava filled room, I decided I needed a break and shut the game off.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying AMR, I am. But man this first chapter is looong.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I'm enjoying it, but it's kinda not grabbing me yet. I guess I'm near the end of chapter 1,
just met Hatter.
It's a very inoffensive game, certainly very beautiful and with lovely art, graphics, music, and all that...the mechanics just aren't that exciting so far. The platforming has been so sleepwalky and the combat is just boring.

I guess it gets more complex as time goes on? I'm finding it perfectly enjoyable...but I want to be blown away.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you're finding the combat boring, I'd suggest turning the difficulty up (if you can).

I really enjoyed watching for and listening to enemy cues, and systematically dealing with large groups of varied enemies. Combat systems that are based around a dodge button just feel so satisfying to me.

And, I mean, it's the predictable thing to say, but the game really does have a ridiculous amount of variety as it moves on. There's a lot of jankiness(tm), but if you value a bit of imagination and ambition at the expense of super-duper polish, then chances are you'll enjoy it more as it goes on.

Symphonic

DidntKnowJack said:
Holy hell, is every chapter as long as the first one? I don't know exactly how long I played this afternoon, but it was at least 2 hours, and I never did get all the way through chapter one. Finally, after dying like 5 times in a row trying to make my way across a lava filled room, I decided I needed a break and shut the game off.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying AMR, I am. But man this first chapter is looong.

What difficulty are you on...? You shouldn't be dying that much in the first chapter.

DidntKnowJack said:

First chapter is way longer than the second, I can say that for sure.

loblaw said:
What difficulty are you on...? You shouldn't be dying that much in the first chapter.
I think I was just tired. I don't think the game is too difficult. It's the kind of thing where I'll boot it up again and waltz straight through that part of the game.

LiK

Just finished it, awesome game. Really loved the combat and platforming. The music was excellent. Great ambient sounds that made the worlds feel more alive. The graphics were okay but the art direction is superb.

Pretty dark story. Didn't expect it to be so disturbing. Much darker than the original. Not sure how I feel about the ending.

FYI to you guys complaining about the combat.: you haven't gotten all your weapons yet and there are many more different types of enemies. They change with every chapter. I found it a lot of fun and satisfying You really need to use strategy cuz it gets harder later.

bought this today...I will play it all day tomorrow.

Can't decide if I wanna play the classic game first or not. I started it a few times back around the time it came out, but never finished it for some reason.

Y2Kev said:
So I'm enjoying it, but it's kinda not grabbing me yet. I guess I'm near the end of chapter 1,
just met Hatter.
It's a very inoffensive game, certainly very beautiful and with lovely art, graphics, music, and all that...the mechanics just aren't that exciting so far. The platforming has been so sleepwalky and the combat is just boring.

I guess it gets more complex as time goes on? I'm finding it perfectly enjoyable...but I want to be blown away.

You're still really early, it's not done introducing mechanics.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My combat path involved upgrading the pea-shooter fully before anything else and relying heavily on it. After chapter 2, I rarely used the vorpal blade, I primarily used the horse.

LiK

Rez said:
My combat path involved upgrading the pea-shooter fully before anything else and relying heavily on it. After chapter 2, I rarely used the vorpal blade, I primarily used the horse.

the pepper grinder turned out to be my most least used weapon in the game after i got the rest. love the Vorpal Blade.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool that it actually supports different styles of play, I suppose.

Smision said:
bought this today...I will play it all day tomorrow.

Can't decide if I wanna play the classic game first or not. I started it a few times back around the time it came out, but never finished it for some reason.

It's dated and pretty frustrating in some ways. The combat is horrible, but the platforming isn't too bad. I doubt I'll ever feel the desire to replay the original once I finish it, though.

LiK

Rez said:
It's cool that it actually supports different styles of play, I suppose.

horse turned out to be my 2nd least used. too slow for my tastes but i love how the final strike causes massive subwoofer action. BOOM. really great audio in this game. ^^

RadioHeadAche said:
It's dated and pretty frustrating in some ways. The combat is horrible, but the platforming isn't too bad. I doubt I'll ever feel the desire to replay the original once I finish it, though.

i haven't checked the original in its HD remake iteration yet but i have the original retail PC game and i beat it. i remember how frustrated i was with the game back then. it was visually unique but the platforming was pretty dreadful from my memory. kinda glad i bought it back then considering how rare it is now.

Well, I can't speak very well about the platforming because I'm not a fan of the genre so my experience is very limited. With that said, the combat frustrates me a lot more than the platforming.

RPGCrazied

I'm in Chapter 2. If nobody else sees the choppiness sometimes, then it might be my drive. I guess I'll buy one of those cleaner things I guess. Still, I like the game. What are bottles used for?

burgerdog

Rez said:

I leveled up the vorpal blade to lv4 first and the pea-shooter last. Lv4 VP is just too strong and fast.

Peterthumpa

One thing: I'm playing this game in 3D using NVIDIA'S 3DTV Play on comfy couch mode, and the graphics are absolutely amazing. More impressive then TW2 or Crysis 2 at times.

The art direction really sets this game apart from the rest.

Nemesis_

I'm gonna be honest GAF, I wasn't sure about this game and after I picked it up I wasn't very sure either.

But it's finally hit me, this game is just so amazing. I love that moment in a game where you just love it and want to keep playing it. Before it was hard to keep going and stuff.

The combat is great on Hard mode too. It's not ridiculously deep, but it requires a little bit of strategy and the fact I can cancel anything at anytime is a very nice touch that some action games don't even do properly.

Awesome stuff. So excited to jump into Chapter 3 (YEAH, I'M NOT EVEN THAT FAR YET)

They severely needed to take an axe to some of these chapters. christ. There's a great deal of artifically extended length of not that compelling content.

I don't know if they were talked into padding it just to make it look better on the box, but somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 into every chapter I've played so far (I'm on Chapter 3 right now) started to drag a great deal for me.

PsychoSoldier said:
They severely needed to take an axe to some of these chapters. christ. There's a great deal of artifically extended length of not that compelling content.

I don't know if they were talked into padding it just to make it look better on the box, but somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3 into every chapter I've played so far (I'm on Chapter 3 right now) started to drag a great deal for me.

Chapter 4 is clearly the best designed. Chapter 5 is also well designed but has a ho-hum art direction and is kinda too long. Chapter 3 was definitely the worst chapter, so it's all daisies from there.

Nemesis_

PsychoSoldier said:

I felt like that for the first chapter, but once the second chapter rolled around and I had a real reason for doing what I was doing, I didn't find it to be as artificially lengthened as I thought.

Gigglepoo

Madness Returns was actually too short for me. As soon as I finished, I bought a copy on a different system and started up again.

Chapter 3 feels very obviously artificially lengthened. It's almost as if they had one part for you to do and then added a second, very similar part just to pad the length.

I think this game benefits from short play sessions, at least for me. It makes the things that are samey not feel quite so samey.

Nemesis_

PsychoSoldier said:
Chapter 3 feels very obviously artificially lengthened. It's almost as if they had one part for you to do and then added a second, very similar part just to pad the length.

I think this game benefits from short play sessions, at least for me. It makes the things that are samey not feel quite so samey.

I generally do half a chapter per session. Unless I'm really drawn in.

I'm gonna jump into Chapter 3 tonight. We'll see how I go.

JohngPR

PsychoSoldier said:
Edit: Nevermind, watching it in a playthough you don't actually have to use the hidden platforms, there's a lower platform I didn't see.

I didn't even notice the lower platform. I ended up just watching the timing of the movement of the hidden platform and then eye balling it until I landed on it. That probably would have made it easier for me. LOL

:p

PsychoSoldier said:

They introduce a lot of cool new enemy's that get thrown into the mix in Chapter 3, It has a great deal of variety in it's visual style, and it has the best primary game-play diversion of all the chapters,
the 2d sections

I beat the game in 12 hours (about), over the course of about 5 days or so, I don't know if you'd consider that short play sessions or not. If you keep playing past the point of feeling done for the moment in any game, it'll feel like a drag.

I'd agree that chapter 3 goes a long ways without any sort of narrative satisfaction, but in terms of pure game-play, I had a lot of fun with it.

FateBreaker said:
Chapter 4 is clearly the best designed. Chapter 5 is also well designed but has a ho-hum art direction and is kinda too long. Chapter 3 was definitely the worst chapter, so it's all daisies from there.

Dude,
the dollhouse
looks really cool.

Top Bottom