• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

JohngPR

Just beat it!

Man, it felt like it took me 30 hours to play through this game. I appreciate that they didn't skimp on content and I never felt actually bored while playing but I couldn't help but think that the game could've been an hour to an hour and a half shorter for each level.

Other than that, I absolutely loved the game. So refreshing to play this after playing so many shooters, and similar games, it was a breath of fresh air.

I have to say that the last chapter was really disturbing, and it got more and more so as the chapter went along. Some of the imagery had me saying "What the fuck?" out loud. LOL

The story was equally crazy. From what I understood,
Dr. Bumby was lobotomizing kids to pimp them out as whores, and he tried to do the same with Alice right? The story leaves me wondering if she was truly crazy from the fire in Alice 1 or was Dr. Bumby involved with her madness the entire time? I'm not sure since I only played a few hours of the first game.

Overall I had a good time with the game and it's one of two games that've surprised me this year. People that aren't fans of 3rd person platformers won't find the same enjoyment that I did in this game, but those of you that love platformers should give it a chance.

JohngPR said:
Just beat it!

Man, it felt like it took me 30 hours to play through this game. I appreciate that they didn't skimp on content and I never felt actually bored while playing but I couldn't help but think that the game could've been an hour to an hour and a half shorter for each level.

Other than that, I absolutely loved the game. So refreshing to play this after playing so many shooters, and similar games, it was a breath of fresh air.

I have to say that the last chapter was really disturbing, and it got more and more so as the chapter went along. Some of the imagery had me saying "What the fuck?" out loud. LOL

The story was equally crazy. From what I understood,
Dr. Bumby was lobotomizing kids to pimp them out as whores, and he tried to do the same with Alice right? The story leaves me wondering if she was truly crazy from the fire in Alice 1 or was Dr. Bumby involved with her madness the entire time? I'm not sure since I only played a few hours of the first game.

Overall I had a good time with the game and it's one of two games that've surprised me this year. People that aren't fans of 3rd person platformers won't find the same enjoyment that I did in this game, but those of you that love platformers should give it a chance.

30 hours? Dude, what was your completion percentage? I finished it in 12 hours with 85%. Good that you had a good time with it, and that it lasted a while, it's likely the last of Alice we'll see.

JohngPR

EchosMyron1 said:
30 hours? Dude, what was your completion percentage? I finished it in 12 hours with 85%. Good that you had a good time with it, and that it lasted a while, it's likely the last of Alice we'll see.

My completion percentage was 97%

I actually don't know how many hours it took me to beat it, but it felt like 30. :p

I'd say it took me a good 4 hours to beat each level. So that'd put my playtime over 20 for sure. I explored a lot though and kind of just walked around and enjoyed the scenery.

gdt

It's $30 on Amazon right now, I think I'm gonna bite. Would be the first DD game I've bought from Amazon too.

Tokubetsu

JohngPR said:
My completion percentage was 97%

I actually don't know how many hours it took me to beat it, but it felt like 30. :p

I'd say it took me a good 4 hours to beat each level. So that'd put my playtime over 20 for sure. I explored a lot though and kind of just walked around and enjoyed the scenery.

Same. Your playtime was probably somewhere near mine (around 16 hours iirc).

Been really enjoying this since I picked it up on the cheap, however I've just hit a bug that could kill the game for me.

Chapter 5:
Area where there is a Doll Baby that you have to take the arms off and loads of smaller mobs (bitch babies etc) it's constantly bugging out and the doll baby becomes invincible.

Anyone know of a solution to this, I've reloaded 5 times and it still bugs out. I'll be done with the game unless it's patched or something, real shame.

TheOddOne

heliconsoul said:
Been really enjoying this since I picked it up on the cheap, however I've just hit a bug that could kill the game for me.

Chapter 5:
Area where there is a Doll Baby that you have to take the arms off and loads of smaller mobs (bitch babies etc) it's constantly bugging out and the doll baby becomes invincible.

Anyone know of a solution to this, I've reloaded 5 times and it still bugs out. I'll be done with the game unless it's patched or something, real shame.
How much have you upgraded your weapons? Try killing the smaller mobs first and then go for the bigger one.

_Xenon_

Banned
heliconsoul said:

Chapter 5:

Not really invincible, you just have to shoot the shinning bolt on her back. If you dodge her swing attack correctly she will loose balance and turn around which makes the bolt face you. Or just dumping teapot canons at her non-stop she will die eventually.

_Xenon_ said:
Not really invincible, you just have to shoot the shinning bolt on her back. If you dodge her swing attack correctly she will loose balance and turn around which makes the bolt face you. Or just dumping teapot canons at her non-stop she will die eventually.

I've damaged her enough that she has no arms and no heart. It's really a pain in the arse. My weapons are fully upgraded special edition weapons.

Try again later I guess.

gdt

I just bought, downloaded, and installed this game from Amazon.

Where is the game? I'm trying to add it to steam as a non steam game, but I can't find it. Neither in the program files or my documents. I can find everything else, even autorun, but not the actual game exe.

Edit: Found it.

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, where can I find more tweaking options? I'm only getting 30 fps, any way to raise that?
From the OP-
Tweaks for PC Version
- How to uncap the frame-rate and get 60fps

Quote:
Alice Madness Returns Framerate Fix – 60 FPS Tweak
Open Alice.ini in text editor, you can find the file located here:

\Documents\My Games\Alice Madness Returns\AliceGame\Config\AliceEngine.ini

and Set these to your desired values for framerate boost:

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=60

gdt

Typographenia said:
From the OP-

Hmm, I can't find the cofig folder in my documents, but I found it in my program files. Couldn't edit it, so I changed permissions. But after changing it, I'm still getting 31 fps.

Edit: And it's called DefaultEngine.ini in my program files.

Alice makes a hell of a first impression. The first two times I booted it up I got a black screen which froze my ps3, and now 15 minutes later I'm still waiting for one of the longest installs.

ironcreed

Banned
Finally picked this up and am in love with it. Such an incredibly refreshing game with some truly amazing art that makes a lack of technical prowess completely irrelevant. The gameplay is simple, yet clever enough to keep it interesting with how certain enemies require different tactics. However, it is the atmosphere and experience that is this game's trump card. Simply awesome.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Alice makes a hell of a first impression. The first two times I booted it up I got a black screen which froze my ps3, and now 15 minutes later I'm still waiting for one of the longest installs.

I have the pc version here. First 2 times the menu screen only loaded Alices eyeballs and hair... Which continued into the game. Dismembered floating eyes and hair running around the first level.

It fixed itsself after a reboot.

Finished chapter 1. This game has some pacing issues. I enjoy platforming but the level just kept going and going and there wasn't any interesting payoff. The art style is great but the narrative is leaving me little reason to continue.

I started off really loving the game, but ended up giving up around chapter 5.

My biggest gripe is that there is little continuity between levels. I get that the game takes place in Alice's mind, but
at least have most of the game take place in familiar wonderland locations

The art was amazing, and the game play is really refreshing. I love platforming games, and despite how repetitive it got, I appreciate Spicy horse's willingness to make a pure platform game.

For me, the game is a great example of a game that makes a great first impression but ends up being really shallow as you go through it.

Bought yesterday and played for about 3 hours last night. The game is absolutely beautiful and is a blast to play. I havent played a platformer since Psychonauts (the genre really isnt my bag) so this was really quite a refreshing change. Loving the combat and the pepper gun as well as the hauntingly ethereal music. Alices hair is also the best animated hair Ive ever seen on a video game character.

PBalfredo

I'm going to rent this game next off of Gamefly. Do either of the console versions have the great hair effects or is that just PC? Between 360 and PS3, which should I play?

PBalfredo said:
I'm going to rent this game next off of Gamefly. Do either of the console versions have the great hair effects or is that just PC? Between 360 and PS3, which should I play?
I forget which console version was the one to get, but all the versions feature the great hair effects.

leng jai

PBalfredo said:

Don't think theres a significant difference between the two console versions. They both of orgasmic hair physics.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
plagiarize said:
I forget which console version was the one to get, but all the versions feature the great hair effects.

Both console versions are perfectly fine, but the PC version is obviously the best one

DryvBy

This game was terrific (platinum'd it) but I really don't have a real reason to run through it again. Anything I miss as far as DLC?

Dizzle24

DryvBy2 said:
This game was terrific (platinum'd it) but I really don't have a real reason to run through it again. Anything I miss as far as DLC?
DLC is 6 extra costumes and Alt versions of the weapons.

ironcreed

Banned
The variety of locations in this game so far is fantastic and I am only deep into chapter 3. Hell, the variety just in each chapter alone is amazing. I love how each one so far is nice and long with such wild changes in scenery. Seriously, the creativity that has gone into the levels is some of the best I have seen in a LONG time. Easily one of the best games I have played this year just for the art, weird characters and mind fuck atmosphere alone. Actually, it probably is my favorite game so far this year.

Just finished it.

My GOTY so far. I know it will probably be beat at some point later this year but right now, it's my favourite.

Critics are the crazy ones, not Alice.

Piano

Banned
Just finished this last night. I absolutely loved every aspect of the design...beautiful art, fantastical worlds, great story, fun combat...

But man do I wish they could have given it to a different set of programmers. Every single aspect of the game just screams rough around the edges; there are tons of little quirks that add up to the game just feeling unfinished.

-Alice doesn't have an animation for putting away her weapons...they just disappear.
-There are some sections where it loads every 10 feet (Chapter 6...really put a damper on what could have been powerful pacing).
-The textures on the 360 version are a blurry mess.
-The animation is all over the place. Alice's hair? Beautiful. The Hatter? Looks like he's skating over the ground every time he moves.
-There are invisible walls everywhere.
-Hell, it the game can't even fade in and out correctly! The screen will go almost black then hang and stutter for a second before a load screen kicks in. A few times Alice fell through the floor while it was doing this and unloading the world assets. Yeesh! How on earth can programmers in 2011 not be able to do a basic fade in/out correctly?!

Basically I wish a different team of programmers could have attempted to realize the artists' vision. The design itself only has a few shortcomings...Chapters 2 & 3 are boring and filled with inane fetch quests, the whole game could stand to be 20% shorter and I wish they had gone more overboard with the possibilities of having a game set inside a young girl's fractured mind.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It's a good game. I'm just really frustrated because the concept, storyline and art are amazing and the game had the potential to be a real masterpiece.

painey

Well I gave up on the 'classic' Alice because it just doesn't hold up well and I have a $40 game not being played over a free classic. I just got to Ch3 and it's great. I love the twisted-ness of it (although the voice acting suffers from the poor pacing like the first)

I missed 1 bottle in Ch2, is there any way to see which one you are missing like there is with the memories so when I'm done I can just replay a section instead of the whole chapter?

TheOddOne

painey said:
Well I gave up on the 'classic' Alice because it just doesn't hold up well and I have a $40 game not being played over a free classic. I just got to Ch3 and it's great. I love the twisted-ness of it (although the voice acting suffers from the poor pacing like the first)

I missed 1 bottle in Ch2, is there any way to see which one you are missing like there is with the memories so when I'm done I can just replay a section instead of the whole chapter?
After finishing the game, you can see what chapters you missed stuff to collect. The thing though is that if you find something on a chapter, no matter where, you have to play it to the next sub-chapter for the game to save your findings.

Not sure what to buy, the Mini Vorpal Blade, the Art Book or the Teapot for my girlfriend.

She's been talking about the VP for ages (but I can't afford the full size one + $50 delivery), loves art and the ACM artwork, and likes to collect weird teapots.

Any ideas GAF?

LiK

Zeouterlimits said:
Not sure what to buy, the Mini Vorpal Blade, the Art Book or the Teapot for my girlfriend.

She's been talking about the VP for ages (but I can't afford the full size one + $50 delivery), loves art and the ACM artwork, and likes to collect weird teapots.

Any ideas GAF?

probably just grab the VP even if it'll beat the shit outta your wallet.

Does anyone know if this was on a limited run? It's out of stock a few places around me (UK) and one of the stores said they wont be getting more as its out of print, not sure if it was a trick to try and get me to buy preowned though

Spwn

Been taking breaks from playing the game, but played some today and I'm on the final chapter. The game is so crazy! Not my goty, but it's still brilliant.

nel e nel

painey said:

At the main menu you can press 'Y' (on the 360) and a separate completion percentage menu slides out telling you how many of each item you have.

By accessing the 'Memories' section, it breaks down exactly which memories in which chapters you have/have not collected yet.

From there you'll need a guide to figure out which sub-chapter to find them in. The best one I've found so far is from 360achievements.org

Link

x-Lundz-x

I rented this from Gamefly, finished the first two chapters and sent it back because I just cancelled my account. I'm going to buy it from Amazon so I can finish it. It is a great game, with extremely frustrating checkpoints, but still great otherwise.

LiK

x-Lundz-x said:
I rented this from Gamefly, finished the first two chapters and sent it back because I just cancelled my account. I'm going to buy it from Amazon so I can finish it. It is a great game, with extremely frustrating checkpoints, but still great otherwise.
Its great that it has unlimited continues. No game over screen either. A blessing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Zeouterlimits said:

Any ideas GAF?

Sell handjobs for money and get the Vorpal Blade and the art book (both are fucking awesome). The teapot looks a bit shoddy to me, so I'd stay away from that one.

TheOddOne

Jeff Albertson said:
Does anyone know if this was on a limited run? It's out of stock a few places around me (UK) and one of the stores said they wont be getting more as its out of print, not sure if it was a trick to try and get me to buy preowned though
EA I think did a limited run of both Shadows of The Damned & Alice, I had to go trough a lot of shops before I found it (this was even during launch!).

LiK

TheOddOne said:
EA I think did a limited run of both Shadows of The Damned & Alice, I had to go trough a lot of shops before I found it (this was even during launch!).
Yea, they're hard to find in retail from what I heard. Online is the best option.

Moofers

Finished this up on PS3 last night. Terrific game. Very original and unique. Finally, a game with a real vision behind it. I'd love to know how its been selling. I suspect poorly, which would be a shame considering what a great game it is.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Just finished it. I'm shocked that I was actually pretty much at the end, but stopped for such a long time.

I was sure there would be at least one more level, even if the audio clips were suggesting to a story climax.

The
story twist was a real surprise. I never expected it at the beginning, though I certainly suspected some foul play with how negative and douchey her therapist was. Also, holy crap is everyone outside of her family a complete dick.

Anyways, I REALLY want them to make figurines based on her various outfits! They're so freaking awesome. I really loved her underwater and oriental dresses. So beautifully designed. The attention to detail for each dress is amazing; the little puff of cotton that's tearing out of Alice's shoulder for the doll dress is an ingenious little piece of cleverness.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Moofers said:
Finished this up on PS3 last night. Terrific game. Very original and unique. Finally, a game with a real vision behind it. I'd love to know how its been selling. I suspect poorly, which would be a shame considering what a great game it is.

EA Partners Program marketing is complete shit, stupid reviewers who hated it because it's old school 3D platformer didn't help too,so yeah I believe it sold like shit.

Spicy Horse are now working with Popcap on browser games/casual iPhone crap, waste of a great developer ,and again I blame EA shitty Partners Program.

Ellis Kim said:
The
story twist was a real surprise. I never expected it at the beginning, though I certainly suspected some foul play with how negative and douchey her therapist was. Also, holy crap is everyone outside of her family a complete dick.

Yeah, the
pedophilia and raping children
was a real shock too, video game don't even dare to touch this subject, American Mcgee done it well, also McGee made the real world is just as twisted and corrupted as Alice's wonderland, abslotely just brilliant.

gdt

Gosh...I lovvvvvvved this game. The way the story developed in the last act was stellar. Came out of nowhere.

Great platforming, great combat, great music, awesome visuals...just an awesome game. Sucks to see it might not be doing so hot. This is the definition of a cult classic.

Top Bottom