• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Combichristoffersen said:
Oh dammit EA, plz plz plz plz plz hire Spicy Horse to make this. If Visceral could make a.. um.. re-imagintion of Dante's Inferno, please let Spicy Horse make Little Red Riding Hood (or at least Alice 3). Why won't you give us more nice things, EA? :(

But they gave us Dead Space and a new Alice,

They didn't even gave us Alice 2 that easily, it was EA IP that got the green light by making it under EA Partners Program ( which is not supposed to be for EA IPs iirc) so I think McGee tried hard to take all the funding on himself/studio to even let EA give Alice that 2nd chance.

And now since Spicy Horse is on a contract with Popcap (doing iOS/Web Browser games for two years or so), Little Red Riding Hood/Alice 3 will depend if EA want to break McGee original contract with Popcap and then hire the studio again for another obscure title, so yeah that will not happen.ever.

:(

I really wish Spicy Horse get some good publisher (Take 2/WB/Bethesda hell even Sony or Microsoft) that give McGee money to do whatever he and his team want.

border

I finished this game and then bought the DLC, that is supposed to include new weapons upgrades and dresses -- but I started a New Game+ and I don't see anything. Does anyone know what gives?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
border said:
I finished this game and then bought the DLC, that is supposed to include new weapons upgrades and dresses -- but I started a New Game+ and I don't see anything. Does anyone know what gives?

Return to the title screen (where you see Alice) press Equip (Square on PS3/X on 360) and you will go to Dress and Weapons menu.

Totobeni said:
They didn't even gave us Alice 2 that easily, it was EA IP that got the green light by making it under EA Partners Program ( which is not supposed to be for EA IPs iirc) so I think McGee tried hard to take all the funding on himself/studio to even let EA give Alice that 2nd chance.

And now since Spicy Horse is on a contract with Popcap (doing iOS/Web Browser games for two years or so), Little Red Riding Hood/Alice 3 will depend if EA want to break McGee original contract with Popcap and then hire the studio again for another obscure title, so yeah that will not happen.ever.

:(

I really wish Spicy Horse get some good publisher (Take 2/WB/Bethesda hell even Sony or Microsoft) that give McGee money to do whatever he and his team want.

If one of their web browser games were more of the Alice 2D platforming levels from chapter 3, I could at least be okay with that. Though they should really make Alice 3, me and my friends still debate about the end of Madness Returns. One of my favorite games this year, easily.

The M.O.B

Totobeni said:
Saw American McGee's Little Red Riding Hood concept art yesterday..

it's sad that we will never get it.

Spicy Horse can make something really intresting with Red riding hood if it's like Madness Return but more darker and violent.

Enjoy it, it's pretty awesome.

artwork is depressing, it will never see the light. :(

Totobeni said:
Saw American McGee's Little Red Riding Hood concept art yesterday..

it's sad that we will never get it.

Spicy Horse can make something really intresting with Red riding hood if it's like Madness Return but more darker and violent.

Enjoy it, it's pretty awesome.

Was that for a Little Red Riding Hood game or for the Grimm shorts they were making?

Any word on how well it sold? Is an Alice 3 still a possibility? I really want a 3rd game so that they can bring back boss fights and use more of the lore in creative ways.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
EchosMyron1 said:
If one of their web browser games were more of the Alice 2D platforming levels from chapter 3, I could at least be okay with that. Though they should really make Alice 3, me and my friends still debate about the end of Madness Returns. One of my favorite games this year, easily.

Yeah, but I think Popcap don't want that sort of games.

Though they should really make Alice 3

Yes that ending was crazy and we really need Alice 3, but McGee was really into making a full Little Red Riding project even before and after Akaneiro and during Madness Return development.

You can tell he really want to do it.

McGee's flickr account December 30 said:
4326846841_70a81a2bb0_z.jpg

Something Ken Wong and I have been working on for years - a concept built on "Little Red Riding Hood". This image was done by Spicy Horse concept artist Luis Melo.

Still no home for this project - but I continue discussing the idea with publishers. One of these days...

McGee's flickr account March 2 said:
4399710535_5c20b72330.jpg

Concept image created by awesome Spicy Horse artists Sonny and Luis - depicts a scene from a game concept I'll be pitching at this year's GDC. If we're lucky an interested publisher will help us move it into production. It's an idea that Ken Wong and I have been toying with for years.
.[/QUOTE]

McGee's flickr account January 27 said:
5392547564_1e5d35c100_z.jpg

Another "stab" at character concept artwork for "Akaneiro" (our version of the classic Red Riding Hood tale). Set in Japan, featuring a Red who's closer to dead than living. We're working up concept and design around this - as we've been doing for years. Maybe one of these days we'll actually get around to making this concept a reality. Wolves beware.

This image was done by Spicy Horse concept artist SunGuoLiang.

He really want his full dark Little Red Riding Hood project.

unfortunately there is no justice in this world.

Forsaken82 said:
Was that for a Little Red Riding Hood game or for the Grimm shorts they were making?

No, that art was for McGee's Little Red Riding Hood, supposed to be like Alice and not related to Grimm tales or Akaneiro.

Anticitizen One said:
Any word on how well it sold? Is an Alice 3 still a possibility? I really want a 3rd game so that they can bring back boss fights and use more of the lore in creative ways.

It bombed but No Idea how big, but Spicy horse signed with Popcap now and Mcgee said they are going with new "way" ( mean doing only iOS/web browser games) so yeah they will not going to make Alice 3 or full console game for a long long time now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just reached Wonderland (so I'm barely 10 minutes into the game :p) and I must say that I love the art direction. The faintly ominous music box-esque ambient music is a great touch, too.

How's the PhysX implementation in this game? I set it to "High", but I have a feeling it's primarily used for the hair physics and little else.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
It's pretty, but can be taxing, particularly with the pepper grinder. Best use of it is with her hair and clothes imo.

Totobeni said:
Yeah, but I think Popcap don't want that sort of games.

Yes that ending was crazy and we really need Alice 3, but McGee was really into making a full Little Red Riding project even before and after Akaneiro and during Madness Return development.

Yeah, you're right unfortunately, they'll probably be making puzzle games? Given the reality of the situation I'd ideally like to see PopCap using the Spicy Horse talent to continue to make character action games in some smaller downloadable form, as a way to branch out for them. Probably not gonna happen though.

That Little Red Riding concept art looks really cool, Hopefully American McGee's drive hasn't been diminished by the
probably
poor sales and odd critical response. So that some time we can get another substantial game out of him and SH in the future.

I just reached Wonderland (so I'm barely 10 minutes into the game :p) and I must say that I love the art direction. The faintly ominous music box-esque ambient music is a great touch, too.

How's the PhysX implementation in this game? I set it to "High", but I have a feeling it's primarily used for the hair physics and little else.

It's used for a lot of things. The hair actually works with it off/ on low. A lot of people found it to noticeably reduce the frame-rate, but I dunno, everything worked fine for me on my 570SC.

JaseC

GuiltybyAssociation said:
It's pretty, but can be taxing, particularly with the pepper grinder. Best use of it is with her hair and clothes imo.
EchosMyron1 said:
It's used for a lot of things. The hair actually works with it off/ on low. A lot of people found it to noticeably reduce the frame-rate, but I dunno, everything worked fine for me on my 570SC.

I see, cheers. Initially there was some noticeable slow-down, but I forced the nominated PhysX processor from "Auto" to the GTX 570 and that seems to have fixed things up. Why nvidia's auto-detect felt it prudent to use the CPU when it's a lowly dual-core is puzzling. :p

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Everytime I see a shitty brown military shooter get glowing reviews and insane sales, while Alice 2 sits alone and forgotten in the corner, my heart weeps

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GuiltybyAssociation said:

Yeah, the game runs well with physx...until you use the pepper grinder. My FPS drops to 20 or lower.

Anyways, I need to return to this game. I left off near the end of ch.2. I liked a lot about it, but I felt like the levels were running a little too long.

Everytime I see a shitty brown military shooter get glowing reviews and insane sales, while Alice 2 sits alone and forgotten in the corner, my heart weeps

Beware, friend. Down this path lies bitterness and disappointment, as well as all of your loved ones abandoning you, because you've become one of "those guys" who always complains that the current popular thing not being as good as some obscure thing barely anyone has ever heard of.

Combichristoffersen

jim-jam bongs said:
Beware, friend. Down this path lies bitterness and disappointment, as well as all of your loved ones abandoning you, because you've become one of "those guys" who always complains that the current popular thing not being as good as some obscure thing barely anyone has ever heard of.

I'm already there, my good man :(

Gvaz

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
I'm already there, feels good man. Damn Dirty Apes can keep their cawadoody.

Anyways, how long is this game? I saw a bit of it (up to the vorpal blade) and it looks nice and seems like a pretty competent if not overly linear adventure/platformer. Is that accurate?

Grisby

Gvaz said:

Anyways, how long is this game? I saw a bit of it (up to the vorpal blade) and it looks nice and seems like a pretty competent if not overly linear adventure/platformer. Is that accurate?

Yeah, your pretty on point. It's a long game though maybe pushing 15 hours or so? Long for a platformer.

Completely worth it.

Combichristoffersen

Gvaz said:

It's overall very good. My only real complaints are that chapter 3 is by far too long, chapter 5 could've been a tad shorter, and that doll head minigame is infuriating shit. The lack of bosses (besides the final boss) is also a valid complaint, but it didn't really bother me all that much.

It's a linear game, but it does encourage exploring the levels in order to find bonus stuff. I'd definitely recommend you to get it.

It's overall very good. My only real complaints are that chapter 3 is by far too long, chapter 5 could've been a tad shorter, and that doll head minigame is infuriating shit. The lack of bosses (besides the final boss) is also a valid complaint, but it didn't really bother me all that much.

It's a linear game, but it does encourage exploring the levels in order to find bonus stuff. I'd definitely recommend you to get it.

I must be the only one who actually loved the rolling doll head mini game. My second favorite after the
2D platforming sections
in chapter 3.

EchosMyron1 said:
I must be the only one who actually loved the rolling doll head mini game. My second favorite after the
2D platforming sections
in chapter 3.
no you aren't. it's way better than the minigame in chapter 2. way way better.

fifteen hours was about what i put in.

Combichristoffersen

plagiarize said:
no you aren't. it's way better than the minigame in chapter 2. way way better.

fifteen hours was about what i put in.

Are you thinking of the minigame with the ship? That was the only minigame I liked, and it wasn't even all that great :lol

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are you thinking of the minigame with the ship? That was the only minigame I liked, and it wasn't even all that great :lol

I think he's referring to the awful Guitar Hero-QTE minigame, but maybe we're thinking of the same thing. I hated it, but at least it was skipable.

Combichristoffersen

Snuggler said:
I think he's referring to the awful Guitar Hero-QTE minigame, but maybe we're thinking of the same thing. I hated it, but at least it was skipable.

The one where you had to play some melody for that sea creature that had lost its voice?

Edit: checked it on YouTube, and it was indeed a bit poop. Still better than that fucking awful doll head minigame. Worst fucking thing in the game by far.

Gvaz

Banned
So this game seems pretty decent. I went into the settings and cranked what I could and it looks pretty good. Also changed the config to max at 60 not 30, cause fuck that.

Any way to turn off Physx? I have an AMD system so it's causing some decent fps drops once in a while. Otherwise it's buttery at 60 with vsync drops to 30 at times.

Gameplay seems sound, jumping stuff feels a little shallow but interesting.

Do I have to shrink in order to jump on invisible platforms? Cause Jump ->hit shrink as fast as you can is what I was doing and I kind of hate it, to the point I don't bother with them unless I have to. If I could just shrink to reveal and check my path that would be cooler.

Ken

Gvaz said:
So this game seems pretty decent. I went into the settings and cranked what I could and it looks pretty good. Also changed the config to max at 60 not 30, cause fuck that.

Any way to turn off Physx? I have an AMD system so it's causing some decent fps drops once in a while. Otherwise it's buttery at 60 with vsync drops to 30 at times.

Gameplay seems sound, jumping stuff feels a little shallow but interesting.

Do I have to shrink in order to jump on invisible platforms? Cause Jump ->hit shrink as fast as you can is what I was doing and I kind of hate it, to the point I don't bother with them unless I have to. If I could just shrink to reveal and check my path that would be cooler.
Shrinking just reveals invisible platforms. They are there even when you're normal.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Gvaz said:

You don't have to shrink to walk on invisible platforms, only to see them. I imagine that would be quite difficult during some parts of the game if you had to shrink to stand on them!

TheExodu5

Banned
Low is effectively off. Removes all the volumetric smoke and butterflies and goo, IIRC.

Use D3DOverrider and force triple buffering to minimize fps drops.

Gvaz

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Low is effectively off. Removes all the volumetric smoke and butterflies and goo, IIRC.

Use D3DOverrider and force triple buffering to minimize fps drops.
Nope, there's still goo but it doesn't really move when you walk on it, a couple butterflies here and there, smoke here and there but doesn't stay long at all.

It's not really in combat I get drops that I notice, its more like...as I'm running around I'll get a sudden lag

OMG this game! What a refreshing experience... I just started and have been wandering around in the first time to Wonderland and am in awe at the art style, the atmosphere, the gorgeous colors and environment, and the gameplay seems very solid to boot. Also loved the whole intro and the comic bookish cut scenes. I read the "Past Matters" info in the Extra Content menu to get a little back story and am now fully immersed lol.

I really think I'm done with military shooters. I was so hyped for Battlefield 3 and then the beta came along and I started playing it and was just so bored and underwhelmed. Played like 2 or 3 rounds total before uninstalling it. It's a well-made game of course but it's the same thing we've been playing for so many years now. I felt lost and insignificant in that enormous 64-player Caspian Border map. I was thinking the whole time like... "What's the point of this? What's the end goal here? Why is this not fun for me anymore?"

Anyway, I'm so happy I bought Alice. Got it for about 20 bucks after using a 40% off coupon and I feel bad for not buying it earlier.

Look at this character and how awesome she is. One of the coolest looking video game characters I've seen in a while and it's just the beginning of this game...

alicemadnessreturns201cem7.jpg

alicemadnessreturns2011duf.jpg

Heavy said:
OMG this game! What a refreshing experience... I just started and have been wandering around in the first time to Wonderland and am in awe at the art style, the atmosphere, the gorgeous colors and environment, and the gameplay seems very solid to boot. Also loved the whole intro and the comic bookish cut scenes. I read the "Past Matters" info in the Extra Content menu to get a little back story and am now fully immersed lol.

I really think I'm done with military shooters. I was so hyped for Battlefield 3 and then the beta came along and I started playing it and was just so bored and underwhelmed. Played like 2 or 3 rounds total before uninstalling it. It's a well-made game of course but it's the same thing we've been playing for so many years now. I felt lost and insignificant in that enormous 64-player Caspian Border map. I was thinking the whole time like... "What's the point of this? What's the end goal here? Why is this not fun for me anymore?"

Anyway, I'm so happy I bought Alice. Got it for about 20 bucks after using a 40% off coupon and I feel bad for not buying it earlier.

Look at this character and how awesome she is. One of the coolest looking video game characters I've seen in a while and it's just the beginning of this game...

[img ]http://www.abload.de/img/alicemadnessreturns201cem7.jpg[/img]
[img ]http://www.abload.de/img/alicemadnessreturns2011duf.jpg[/img]

Is always good to see that they make homage to the original John Tenniel's artstyle in the book.
2911210999_892c67b8fd.jpg

Vulcano's assistant said:
Is always good to see that they make homage to the original John Tenniel's artstyle in the book.
I'll have to read the book! I definitely want to now. I probably did when I was younger but it was so long ago.

Man, I'm still in Chapter 1 and put about 2 hours into it so far and am really loving it. How could anyone give this game a bad score? We're flooded with military shooters and yearly sequels of the same stuff and you give this game a 6/10? The gameplay and presentation are great so I'm not saying that just due to the awesome art style and setting - the core game is good.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Heavy said:
I'll have to read the book! I definitely want to now. I probably did when I was younger but it was so long ago.

Man, I'm still in Chapter 1 and put about 2 hours into it so far and am really loving it. How could anyone give this game a bad score? We're flooded with military shooters and yearly sequels of the same stuff and you give this game a 6/10? The gameplay and presentation are great so I'm not saying that just due to the awesome art style and setting - the core game is good.

Glad to see more Gaffers liking the game, it warms my heart.

And just wait till you hit the other chapters..and the amazing Chapter 5 and chapter 4 and that first section of it.

..oh DAT section.

Also keep your eyes looking for the Easter Eggs.

JaseC

Yeah, I am loving this. I'm around 8 hours in, which has translated to about half an hour into Chapter 3. It is, in more ways than one, what Epic Mickey should have been.

I'm actually tempted to give this my number one vote during the GAF GoTY awards seeing as that Valve game - which sits as my favourite of the year - will surely take the cake with relative ease.

John

Finished this last night. It's a very hard game to stop playing. I don't think I've ever played a game with such rich aesthetic design. The ambient score and sound especially were Bloodlines-levels of exhilarating. I didn't manage to get the entire story together, thanks to the rapid-fire pace of the cutscenes, but the locales were fascinating enough to work without full context anyway. Flipping through my screenshots folder is making me want to play again.

Loved this game. Can't wait until my next PC in a few years so I can admire it with PhysX effects.

Totobeni said:
Glad to see more Gaffers liking the game, it warms my heart.

And just wait till you hit the other chapters..and the amazing Chapter 5 and chapter 4 and that first section of it.

..oh DAT section.

Also keep your eyes looking for the Easter Eggs.

The only part of the game I wasn't totally drooling over was Chapter 5...
but that's mainly because those broken baby dolls creeped the hell out of me. Oh yeah, and the rolling head mini-game was complete balls.

Despite that, it's my current fave of '11.

So I decided I will finally get this game, thanks to Toys R Us's sale.

I know I've asked before, but that was a while back... Should I get the PS3 or PC version? For me, PS3 = big TV, comfy couch, and controller, but from what I understand, no cool physics. Is the PC version significantly better in any way?

JaseC

Why would you do that? said:
So I decided I will finally get this game, thanks to Toys R Us's sale.

I know I've asked before, but that was a while back... Should I get the PS3 or PC version? For me, PS3 = big TV, comfy couch, and controller, but from what I understand, no cool physics. Is the PC version significantly better in any way?

The PhysX effects add a nice visual flair to the already sublime artistry, but I wouldn't say they're essential. That said, the game is deserving of fantastic image quality, so I'd go with the PC version + controller (the game functions just fine with a keyboard and mouse, but a controller is preferable).

Edit: Here's the video Echos linked me to the other day featuring the PhysX effects.

JaseC

Why would you do that? said:
Well I don't care too much about graphics, but it is something I'll consider. It turns out Toys R Us only has the PC version anyway, so I might be forced to get that anyway. lol

An exception must be made in the case of Alice. :p

Combichristoffersen

RadioHeadAche said:
I thought chapter five dragged on a bit towards the end. Chapter four, on the other hand was fantastic.

Chapter five did drag on a bit, but not as bad as chapter three. But the doll head minigame.. God, did it suck. Still my GoTY for 2011 though.

Top Bottom