• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Ellis Kim

Banned
Oh my god.

I just realized that the
Queen's hair and child-like face is less a reference to Alice from the game, and more of a direct reference to
the real Alice Lidell and her pageboy haircut.

Wow, lol.

Spwn

Finished the game last weekend on Nightmare difficulty and overall I have to say it was very enjoyable experience. Maybe a bit inconsistent at parts and I found a couple of buggy walls that you could jump through, but the game had very capturing world and good platforming. Maybe a little bit more variety to enemy types would've been good, but I don't mind. I should do a NG+ run one day and platinum it.

Ellis Kim said:
Oh my god.

I just realized that the Queen's hair and child-like face is less a reference to Alice from the game, and more of a direct reference to the real Alice Lidell and her pageboy haircut.

Wow, lol.

I thought the queen's face in Alice 2 is supposed to be her sister?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Didn't either of you play the first game that was included? Red Queen was
and always has been Alice's homunculus, in some sense. Its driven home by the fact that in the first game, its Alice's exact face, unlike Madness where she's more abstract. I can see how some of Red Queen's dialogue in Madness could be construed as representing her sister, though she's still too cherubic for that.

Guess I'll spoiler tag the above post too if you guys are being sensitive about it.

Also, I just watched the 2010 live action film.

Wow, McGee was right. The really take away focus from Alice through Hatter's sudden significance, and lol Jabberwocky colored lightning breath attacks. Total ripoff. Alice's dresses were okay, but they're nothing compared to the Madness dresses.

Ken

Every time I see this thread return to the front page, I keep hoping it's because there are new dresses (and weapons) being released.

:(

Ken

Ellis Kim said:
How're the DLC weapons and dresses anyhow?

Game-play wise they make the game much easier than it already is. They also don't change appearance-wise as you upgrade them unlike the default weapons.

I bought them for the dresses which I think, for the most part, look very good. If you don't care for dressing up Alice or are content with the many dresses unlocked through normal game play, I couldn't recommend purchasing them.

I finished the game. I felt chapter five dragged on a bit much towards the end, but overall very good. Now I'm just finishing up the collectibles and I'll be able to start my "nightmare" playthrough. It will be nice to go through the game without having to worry about finding everything.

mjc

Just a heads up, CAG has a discount available through EA Origins that knocks the game down to $30 shipped.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/search/?keywords=alice

Use this promo code to get it half off and free shipping: afdamr5ty7

I just ordered a copy myself, and I just have one question. Should I play the first Alice or can I just jump right into this one? I'm very familiar with the traditional story if that makes any difference.

LiK

mjc said:
Just a heads up, CAG has a discount available through EA Origins that knocks the game down to $30 shipped.

I just ordered a copy myself, and I just have one question. Should I play the first Alice or can I just jump right into this one? I'm very familiar with the traditional story if that makes any difference.

play the original cuz the story and world is interesting enough, the sequel is more fun but it's basically a direct sequel. they do revisit old characters from the first game. if you can't stand the original, just skip it but don't don't ignore it.

mjc said:

Go ahead and jump into the new one. The old one has not aged well and you will not be missing anything (other than a fantastic soundtrack). There is a story recap of the events from the first game which can be accessed via the main menu.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Picked this up again after finishing inFamous 2, Dead Space and Dead Space 2. It's still my GOTY so far, but goddamn chapter 3 drags on foreverrrrrrr

Combichristoffersen

Finished chapter 3 and 4 today. Chapter 3 wasn't bad, but it was far too long. Chapter 4 was absolutely ace OTOH. Ordered the 'Alchemy' poster from the Alice 2 store, now I just need to get a frame so I can frame the poster before I put it on my wall.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How did it went on terms of sales?

I know this ain't a best seller but I wonder how did the game do.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I got the artbook in.... and I'm kinda pissed off. There's a small part of the bottom of the first few pages that have a weird manufacturing error tear that I'm tempted to have it exchanged for. :S

Also, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. I REALLY wanted fully close ups and production artwork/notes that went into creating her various outfits in-game, particularly for her undersea and oriental dresses, both of which I'm very fond of.

They went for a thick glossy stock for the pages instead of something thinner like what's used in the Valkyria Chronicles artbook, which is a little lame (further compromised by the tear on the first few pages :( ).

Oh well, what can you do.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Ken said:
Every time I see this thread return to the front page, I keep hoping it's because there are new dresses (and weapons) being released.

:(

Lolz, Spicy Horse is a web Browser/iphone developer now, so do not dream of Dlcs or Alice 3 or anything from them :(

Ellis Kim said:
I got the artbook in.... and I'm kinda pissed off. There's a small part of the bottom of the first few pages that have a weird manufacturing error tear that I'm tempted to have it exchanged for. :S

From the Amazon 3DS thread ( it was even a replay to you )
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=29565691&postcount=141

So yeah, sorry bad luck, Amazon should really order new books instead of the damaged ones they have.

Completed the game.

I'd say it was great fun overall. Its certainly not perfect and the pacing was off near the end but it was well worth playing.

Persona7

Banned
Is the online pass a EA code that you redeem through your EA account?

My friend wants to know because his EA account stopped working when he changed his email and he wanted to play the original Alice.

He ordered it last night.

Persona7 said:
Is the online pass a EA code that you redeem through your EA account?

My friend wants to know because his EA account stopped working when he changed his email and he wanted to play the original Alice.

On Xbox 360 it was just an XBL marketplace code. Probably done the same way on PSN.

Persona7

Banned
HadesGigas said:
On Xbox 360 it was just an XBL marketplace code. Probably done the same way on PSN.
Ok, thanks a lot! I will let him know.

He was just going to buy the DLC add on if it was a EA account code.

ymmv

Banned
Pupi18 said:
How did it went on terms of sales?

I know this ain't a best seller but I wonder how did the game do.

I don't think the game needed many sales to turn a profit since it was made by a Chinese studio created by American McGee. Development costs must be a lot lower than western game/Japanese games.

Combichristoffersen

Still need to find the time to finish this. Still my GOTY. Got my Alchemy poster in the mail a few days ago, now I'm just waiting for the poster frame I ordered before I'll have Alice on my wall too.

Wow.

Just finished the game last night and thoroughly loved nearly every minute of it (Chapters 3 and 5 dragged a little towards the end, the game could've used some boss battles, and I wish Chapter 6 was a full-fledged level). It baffles me that this game got such mediocre reviews; it's a joy to play, keeps you on your toes by mixing in various minigames and challenges, and is probably the most gorgeous game I've played this gen (from an art style perspective, anyway).

Bums me out that this may be the only full-fledged game from Spicy Horse -- their talents would be sorely wasted on iOS and social games only. Glad they got this out first, at least. Now to order dat art book!

Combichristoffersen

Prince of Space said:
Bums me out that this may be the only full-fledged game from Spicy Horse -- their talents would be sorely wasted on iOS and social games only. Glad they got this out first, at least. Now to order dat art book!

The art book is awesome. I pre-ordered it from the official Alice store, so I got a signed copy *smug*

It's by no means a perfect game, but this is definitely one of the most enjoyable games I've played in years, much due to the twisted visuals and story. Got the art book, an Alice t-shirt, the Vorpal Blade replica (with stand) and the alchemy poster (just waiting for my frame to arrive so I can have it framed before putting it on my wall), so I hope EA realizes the franchise should still be viable despite reviewers having their heads up their asses when reviewing this game, and hire Spicy Horse to make an Alice 3.

Also; dat hair <3

Combichristoffersen

darkjedi187 said:
how do you change outfits? I cannot find and option to do so anywhere.

You do it in the main menu. For the PS3 version you press square, can't remember what button it was for the PC version. Dunno about 360.

Combichristoffersen said:
You do it in the main menu. For the PS3 version you press square, can't remember what button it was for the PC version. Dunno about 360.

Thank you. I thought i had checked in the menu.

I got this for $18 off at Origin thanks to a 40% off code! Really excited to start. What difficulty do you guys recommend to have a smooth play-through without much frustration, so I can enjoy the story, environments and stuff without raging? I know it gets harder and can get frustrating from reading the thread over the past couple months. Don't mind dying of course, just not 5-10 times at random parts because it takes you out of the game.

Also, I can't seem to scroll down in Alice's history notes under the extra content section.

Heavy said:
I got this for $18 off at Origin thanks to a 40% off code! Really excited to start. What difficulty do you guys recommend to have a smooth play-through without much frustration, so I can enjoy the story, environments and stuff without raging? I know it gets harder and can get frustrating from reading the thread over the past couple months. Don't mind dying of course, just not 5-10 times at random parts because it takes you out of the game.

Also, I can't seem to scroll down in Alice's history notes under the extra content section.

Dying really isn't an issue because there are no real consequences. You just start at a previous save (the game auto-saves a lot). I would recommend Normal for your first time. It's not a terribly difficult game. In fact, even nightmare difficulty wasn't too bad.

XeroSauce

Heavy said:

I'd suggest Normal, but it's not terribly difficult and you'll die more often from missing a landing off a platform then actually enemies.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's October and Madness Returns still my GOTY (and I played the two super hyped games) I didn't expect this, shame that Spicy Horse is iOS/Web Browser crap dev now...oh well

XeroSauce said:
I'd suggest Normal, but it's not terribly difficult and you'll die more often from missing a landing off a platform then actually enemies.

Yeah, first time on normal then second playthrough on Nightmare ( unless you have the DLC weapons/outfit then it's nightmare from the start since they DLCs give you god mode)

Dascu

Played and finished this a week or two ago. Really loved it, but I do echo the sentiments of other posters: some chapters are a bit too long and there's a lack of boss fights. Seems like one of the more under-appreciated games this year though.

Dascu said:
Played and finished this a week or two ago. Really loved it, but I do echo the sentiments of other posters: some chapters are a bit too long and there's a lack of boss fights. Seems like one of the more under-appreciated games this year though.

Definitely. It's one of the most improved sequels I've ever played, and it's just a great game overall. I still don't understand all those mediocre reviews.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RadioHeadAche said:
Definitely. It's one of the most improved sequels I've ever played, and it's just a great game overall. I still don't understand all those mediocre reviews.

We discussed this many times in this thread and no one knew for sure why the majority of reviewers went on an unholy crusade against this game like that, but I still think it's just because it's an old school style 3D platformer to the bone which nowdays games reviewers can't handle.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Saw American McGee's Little Red Riding Hood concept art yesterday..

it's sad that we will never get it.

Spicy Horse can make something really intresting with Red riding hood if it's like Madness Return but more darker and violent.

Sinthetic said:
I'm picking this up soon, I'm excited to try it.

Enjoy it, it's pretty awesome.

Combichristoffersen

Totobeni said:
Saw American McGee's Little Red Riding Hood concept art yesterday..

it's sad that we will never get it.

Spicy Horse can make something really intresting with Red riding hood if it's like Madness Return but more darker and violent.

Oh dammit EA, plz plz plz plz plz hire Spicy Horse to make this. If Visceral could make a.. um.. re-imagintion of Dante's Inferno, please let Spicy Horse make Little Red Riding Hood (or at least Alice 3). Why won't you give us more nice things, EA? :(

Dascu

Combichristoffersen said:
Oh dammit EA, plz plz plz plz plz hire Spicy Horse to make this. If Visceral could make a.. um.. re-imagintion of Dante's Inferno, please let Spicy Horse make Little Red Riding Hood (or at least Alice 3). Why won't you give us more nice things, EA? :(
Because it's EA.

Top Bottom