• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

Chapter 5 was my favorite chapter, I love platformers that get appropriately hardcore and make full/near full use of their game-play mechanics towards the end. Chapter 5 really put the intimate knowledge you had culminated with the Jump & Float mechanics to the test, so much fun. I also really dug on the creepy dollhouse aesthetic, and those
giant babies
were fun to fight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just finished it, with a total playtime of a little over 15 hours. Needless to say, as I've heaped praise already, but I loved the game - warts and all - and it is easily the most under-appreciated title of the year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
JaseC said:
Just finished it, with a total playtime of a little over 15 hours. Needless to say, as I've heaped praise already, but I loved the game - warts and all - and it is easily the most under-appreciated title of the year.

It's the surprise of the year, and for me it's still my goty (and I played the most hyped ones).

It's super underrated, maybe the most underrated game this entire gen, stupid early reviews ( like this one from Metro UK 4/10 ) and EA complete lack of marketing hurt it badly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sinthetic said:
You guys are really making hard for me not to click the buy button. Must think of the November backlog.

Forget backlog..click that button..click on it,Seriously the game is freaking amazing.

Sinthetic said:
You guys are really making hard for me not to click the buy button. Must think of the November backlog.

Go for it, dude! Sure Novemeber has a lot of games to play, but how many 3D platformers? It's time for a change of pace. Also, the game is awesome.

JaseC

Totobeni said:
It's the surprise of the year, and for me it's still my goty (and I played the most hyped ones).

It's super underrated, maybe the most underrated game this entire gen, stupid early reviews ( like this one from Metro UK 4/10 ) and EA complete lack of marketing hurt it badly.

I'm still tossing around the idea of giving my #1 GAF GoTY vote to the game.

Totobeni said:

It ended up having a better review average on PC, a "75". Still underrated, but at least in the green. Had significantly less reviews than the console version, though.

Yeah, definitely one of the most critically misunderstood games that I can recall.

JaseC said:

It's only 15 bucks! No excuses!

JaseC said:
I'm still tossing around the idea of giving my #1 GAF GoTY vote to the game.
me too, but we'll see how the remaining titles play out. there's some big hitters remaining.

i hope the steam sale brings this bundle of joy into more people's lives.

Sinatar said:
Bought. Played a bit, definitely a lot better then I'd thought it'd be. American McGee may be a talentless hack, but even hacks get lucky sometimes.
the high points are further in too. when they announced it, i remember thinking that it'd be crap like all the games he'd made since the first (although Scrapland wasn't bad). and then the screenshots actually looked really good, and i remember thinking, well, it'll still probably play badly.

and then i saw gameplay videos... and i decided to roll the dice and, well, obviously ended up loving it.

Grisby

It won't be number 1 but it should be on my top 10. Great game with a lot of content. If anyone here still hasn't picked up the artbook I would suggest you do, its great.

Derrick01

Banned
I already talked about how much I'm not really enjoying the game in the Steam thread, but about how long is this game? I've put 2 hours into the game and I'm still in chapter 1. I don't know how many chapters there are but that feels like an extremely long time.

Grisby

Derrick01 said:
I already talked about how much I'm not really enjoying the game in the Steam thread, but about how long is this game? I've put 2 hours into the game and I'm still in chapter 1. I don't know how many chapters there are but that feels like an extremely long time.
Maybe 12 hours? I didn't see a time clock but reviewers were quoting 15 I think. Some of it could have been cut but I felt like I got my moneys worth and more at the time of release.

rezuth

Just started playing this, about two hours into the game but all I can say so far is wow. This game is great! I have no idea what the reviewers were smoking when they played this game. Did they confuse it with something else?

Derrick01

Banned
Grisby said:
Maybe 12 hours? I didn't see a time clock but reviewers were quoting 15 I think. Some of it could have been cut but I felt like I got my moneys worth and more at the time of release.

Shit that's a long time to play a platformer. I'll keep pushing through I guess.

Seronei

rezuth said:
Just started playing this, about two hours into the game but all I can say so far is wow. This game is great! I have no idea what the reviewers were smoking when they played this game. Did they confuse it with something else?
The game gets a bit tedious around chapter 3 until it picks up and gets much better again.

Grisby

Derrick01 said:
Shit that's a long time to play a platformer. I'll keep pushing through I guess.
It is a long game and there are definitely some issues with it. However, I felt most of the core game was excellent.

The part that bothered me was some reviewers criticizing the controls and jumping mechanics, which I felt to be pretty precise. They were tight enough for me.

Derrick01

Banned
Grisby said:
It is a long game and there are definitely some issues with it. However, I felt most of the core game was excellent.

The part that bothered me was some reviewers criticizing the controls and jumping mechanics, which I felt to be pretty precise. They were tight enough for me.

Yeah I'm not having an issue with the controls, they work fast and pretty well. I've had some minor problems in those air jar things that push you up, like I tried to jump and dash and she went the total opposite way she was supposed to go but that was a one or two time problem.

I don't know why they'd have a problem with the jumping. It's not floaty or anything like little big planet, it's pretty precise.

PC question: I have, on my main menu, the option to "Play American McGees Alice". I do have my old disc version of the original game installed, but clicking this link does not launch it, instead giving me a "cannot load default.cfg" error. Is there some way this is supposed to work?

Stupacabra said:
PC question: I have, on my main menu, the option to "Play American McGees Alice". I do have my old disc version of the original game installed, but clicking this link does not launch it, instead giving me a "cannot load default.cfg" error. Is there some way this is supposed to work?
that's odd. you ended up with that if you changed an ini to make the game think it was the collectors version (which included the original). doing this let you get the extra costumes from the collectors.

you didn't mess about with any ini files?

Stupacabra said:
It's suppose to launch the remastered version of Alice which you can't buy for PC anymore, it will not launch the original game.

plagiarize said:
that's odd. you ended up with that if you changed an ini to make the game think it was the collectors version (which included the original). doing this let you get the extra costumes from the collectors.

you didn't mess about with any ini files?

That explains it. :) Yeah, I did that, along with the framerate unlock. Is there no way to get remastered Alice 1 at all, then?

JaseC

plagiarize said:
me too, but we'll see how the remaining titles play out. there's some big hitters remaining.

Chapter 3 is the worst of the lot, and yet it's still thoroughly fantastic. The beginning (and what it implies) is well worth the "trials" that follow.

i hope the steam sale brings this bundle of joy into more people's lives.

Purchasing Alice automatically marks yourself as one of the more prudent gift givers. ;) Will this rub off on EA? Probably...
not :(

I started this up just before and it's made a great first impression. Artistic design is lovely and Alice controls like a dream. Seriously it's astonishingly good how fun it is to just run around and jump, float, dash.

I'm playing with a 5850 and I had physx on medium until the area where I had to use the pepper grinder. Within the midst of all the smoke it creates it goes down to the mid 30s but otherwise it's locked at 60.

mantidor

JaseC said:

I bit and kind of regretted, the binding keys doesn't work, and it seems the game is overall a bug mess, I hope I can get around this.

edit: the game is so freaking pretty though, I was starting to believe U3 engine didn't had colors beyond brown.

Ajemsuhgao said:
Bug mess...? Like..what? I didn't encounter any bugs at all.

I saw many problems in forums while looking for a solution for the binding, I could manage to make the binding work on my own fortunately though.

lupinko

Bought and very excited! Downloading now off Steam, too bad though I don't get remastered American McGee's Alice though. =/

mantidor said:
I bit and kind of regretted, the binding keys doesn't work, and it seems the game is overall a bug mess, I hope I can get around this.

Bug mess...? Like..what? I didn't encounter any bugs at all.

LogicStep

G-Fex said:
the game is gorgeous, I just kept staring for a good long time.
I came to post this, stole the words right out of my mouth!

I just booted the game up on Steam and holy fuck is this game beautiful! Damn does it look pretty!

toasty_T said:
I started this up just before and it's made a great first impression. Artistic design is lovely and Alice controls like a dream. Seriously it's astonishingly good how fun it is to just run around and jump, float, dash.

I'm playing with a 5850 and I had physx on medium until the area where I had to use the pepper grinder. Within the midst of all the smoke it creates it goes down to the mid 30s but otherwise it's locked at 60.

there's PhysX on an ATI card ?

also: how is the PC port of this game in general compared to the console versions? good port?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Okay, so I never expected this to be any good. I honestly expected this to be a standard hack n slash with some promising but broken visual design. I really did. Little did I know that I'd be seriously impressed with what's at display--both aesteticly and gameplay. I'm really digging this.

kinoki said:
Okay, so I never expected this to be any good. I honestly expected this to be a standard hack n slash with some promising but broken visual design. I really did. Little did I know that I'd be seriously impressed with what's at display--both aesteticly and gameplay. I'm really digging this.

I'm really torn between this game and the original Alice game. If Alice was remade in UE3 or something with some minor tweaks to their physics, it would definitely be a hard choice. Alice weapons were so awesome and fun, and level design was more interesting in some places.

Tenck

Game wont start for me on Steam. Anyone know if this is a common problem?

I uncapped the 31 FPS limit, but I don't think that messed it up.

Noogy

Picked it up during the Steam sell. Runs beautifully on my new gaming rig (uncapped fps, of course).

Definitely the most refreshing gaming experience I've had in a long time. Loving everything about it, particularly the combat (even if targeting is a tad finicky).

Tenck

Anyone know how I can make it look better? When I first ran Alice, it asked me if I wanted it to pick my graphics options and wahtnot. I clicked no since I wanted to play quickly, but now I want to make it look better :eek:

Can anyone help me?

Aklamarth

Mixed feelings about this game. It has a very interesting world design (chapter 1 and 4 are absolutely great...the others not so much). Unfortunately the game is buggy (had so restart quite a few times....no patches planned either), chapter 5 sucked donkey balls and i can't shake the feeling this game could have been so much more.

Skilletor

Tenck said:
Anyone know how I can make it look better? When I first ran Alice, it asked me if I wanted it to pick my graphics options and wahtnot. I clicked no since I wanted to play quickly, but now I want to make it look better :eek:

Can anyone help me?

Graphics stuff is in the options at the title screen.

I bit at 15 bucks. Another game to the steam backlog.

Tenck

Skilletor said:
Graphics stuff is in the options at the title screen.

I bit at 15 bucks. Another game to the steam backlog.

I was sure I could get it to look better than this
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986887495488/1EA83D0DD3089FC14A6C3CA4FD6729A9F56EA063/[img]
[img]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/650994986884395996/7B75DAB7F66195370F768F9A10E822A0297DC9FD/[img]

:/

Thanks anyways.

Tenck

Lime said:
lol Steam screenshots.

Yeah I know, but it's the only thing I can get right now :/

My laptop has been a bit wonky lately. Print screen button is not working right now.

Edit:
UuBaG.jpg

Sorry if huge images are bothering you, but I want to know if this is the max settings :eek:

Non-steam screen shot!

Lime

Tenck said:
Yeah I know, but it's the only thing I can get right now :/

My laptop has been a bit wonky lately. Print screen button is not working right now.

If you want to spice up the graphics a little bit more, check out the ini files in the local Alice settings folder in your User folder. Also, use Nvidia Inspector or RadeonPro.

But it's more tweaking. So I do not think you will be able to achieve much better overall graphics than what you have displayed so far.

Tenck

Lime said:
If you want to spice up the graphics a little bit more, check out the ini files in the local Alice settings folder in your User folder. Also, use Nvidia Inspector or RadeonPro.

But it's more tweaking. So I do not think you will be able to achieve much better overall graphics than what you have displayed so far.

Alright thanks, I guess I'll leave it like this.

Was just wondering if I could get it to look better, since a friend of mine said it looked bad :/

Top Bottom