• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alice: Madness Returns |OT|

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
And suddenly everything in the game made sense:
alicedowxukj.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just entered Wonderland for the first time, and, wow... haven't even done anything game-like, but the atmosphere and visuals are amazing in this game! Anyway, off to play more!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Chapter 3 kind of dragged on a bit with nothing terribly remarkable, but chapter 4 = amazing.

JohngPR

Alright, I think I'm done with Alice 1 for the moment. This game has not aged well at all from a gameplay standpoint and I think I should just play Madness Returns before it sours me on the whole ordeal. LOL

:(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad about the PhysX stuff. This is the first game to make me actually want an Nvidia card for it. Performance turns to shit if I put in on Medium, but the game is super smooth when I leave it on low with otherwise maxed out settings. The PhysX stuff adds a lot to the visuals, though, and I particularly miss the butterflies!

Is there any way to hack some ini to get the nice looking butterflies on low? The game is playable with PhysX on medium, but it can get rather choppy when lots of stuff is going on.

Anyway, I just made it to the Hatter's Domain (level 2?), but I'm loving the game so far. The controls feel great and the atmosphere is amazing. Good stuff.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Just finished the game.

I can say that I enjoyed it more than McGee's Alice, it's as crazy as the original Alice but also has solid gameplay and combat system and better controls than Alice 1, as a modern games it's unique and do many things rights for me..

+Amazing twisted journey and experience with solid gameplay,McGee topped himself.
+Story is insane, didn't disappoint after all the wait.
+Long game 17 hours here without doing everything.
+Good combat system,not mashy, it require attention or it's will be hard, but very satisfying.
+Nice crazy weapons and move, Alice is moving killing machine.
+Solid 3D old school platforming and solving puzzles, modern games need more like this for sure.
+Fantastic level design and environments, some of the most beautiful and crazy looking levels this entire generation, good work artists at Spicy Horse.
-I wanted more of London since the real world was just as crazy and fucked as wonderland.
-I thought the music/soundtrack weren't as good as the first game
-The beginning was slow.

Pretty much Everything I waited for all this years and wanted from Alice sequel, better combat,more crazy wonderland, bigger levels, Alice history, more insanity.

9/10

For me it's up there with Portal 2, and Infamous 2 as best games this year so far.

American McGee and Spicy Horse need to make more games like this, Let it be more Wonderland,or American McGee's OZ or The Little Match Girl or anything, these guys are awesome.

Started playing this game today after re-beating Alice 1. I been playing for 3 hours straight and this game has me hooked. Very fun and it probably features the best art direction this gen. Nintendo should be looking at this game on how to make games look awsome in HD.

I don't understand the poor reviews at all. Are the reviewers upset its not a dudebro game?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Anticitizen One said:
Started playing this game today after re-beating Alice 1. I been playing for 3 hours straight and this game has me hooked. Very fun and it probably features the best art direction this gen. Nintendo should be looking at this game on how to make games look awsome in HD.

I don't understand the poor reviews at all. Are the reviewers upset its not a dudebro game?
I said it before, but I figure it's because of the pacing and the fact that whole tens of minutes can go by without anything exciting happening. It's just really dreary, meandering, and tends to drag. You probably need a certain mindset to really appreciate it.

I'm glad to hear good impressions, I was disappointed when the thread first started up as I've been looking forward to this game for a while. I might pick it up today.

Lime

cleveridea said:
so are these extra costumes and weapons coming to the gamersgate buyers?

No. Currently Origin exclusive.

BioGenesis said:
Just gonna pop in and say that this game is awesome and is one more reason to ignore game reviews

This has been my way of thinking the past years and this current incident only reinforces that notion.

Salsa

Spwn said:
Ryan Davis gave the game 4/5.

My order from Amazon UK was shipped yesterday so I'm getting the game next week. Psyched! My girlfriend is also anticipating to play both of the Alice games.

Man my GF got really excited as well when she caught me watching some video of this earlier this year.

Too bad we broke up, i should still find a way to get her a copy of the first one.. should run on her netbook.

Amir0x

Banned
you know yeah I definitely disagree with the low end reviews on this one. This game is really surprisingly solid. I mean it's not a classic but it's way better than the original and it's always entertaining to visit new levels because it's so bold in design. I am particularly impressed with the tightness of Alice's platforming physics. It's incredibly refined and feels very very good as far as I am concerned, and I am so critical of this aspect of platformers that I'm very hard to please.

If it wasn't for the ho-hum combat and the very very wildly inconsistent platforming level design this would be a great. As it is it's def a 7.5/8.0 type game.

Salsa

Amir0x said:
If it wasn't for the ho-hum combat and the very very wildly inconsistent platforming level design this would be a great. As it is it's def a 7.5/8.0 type game.

how about those PhysX?

What's the verdict on the 'best' console version?

I've read that the PS3 version is less colourful but more detailed, and the 360 vice versa..

Truant

Any SLI profiles out for this? The game runs great until I enter combat, where the particles from defeated enemies start slowing the game down a lot.

I'm on a GTX295, physX on medium.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
MarshMellow96 said:

I've read that the PS3 version is less colourful but more detailed, and the 360 vice versa..

We should see someone compare more screens from other levels because it seems the PS3 version is missing the top layer of the ground texture when Alice goes back to Wonderland, but that has been the only difference.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
fernoca said:
Yeah.
Combichristoffersen is wondering (I think :p) why he can't buy the original on the EU-PS Store, but on consoles to get the original you have to redeem the code/online pass in the game-menu and can only access the game through the Madness Returns menu.

I am trying to redeem the PSN code I got with my PS3 copy of the game, but it doesn't work, so it seems Sony haven't put the game up on the EU PSN store yet :|

MarshMellow96 said:

Based off the Lens of Truth comparisons the PS3 is lacking detail. It's Unreal Engine 3 though, so it's hardly a shock.

Okay, I just picked this up...EA don't give you an instruction manual now???!!! Well at least the game was priced a little lower to make up for it...oh wait.

:mad:

AEREC

PumpkinPie said:
Okay, I just picked this up...EA don't give you an instruction manual now???!!! Well at least the game was priced a little lower to make up for it...oh wait.

:mad:

seriously, you would expect them to lower the price for not including a manual that would have probably cost less than 25 cents?

AEREC said:
seriously, you would expect them to lower the price for not including a manual that probably costs less than 25 cents?

Well, not really. I'm just pissed off that I didn't get a manual, I like to read them.

AEREC

I am pretty sure I am picking up the PS3 version at some point today, I dont mind the missing ground texture too much, I just hope performance isnt worse than the 360 version.

Dizzy-4U

Truant said:
Any SLI profiles out for this? The game runs great until I enter combat, where the particles from defeated enemies start slowing the game down a lot.

I'm on a GTX295, physX on medium.
The default SLI and AA profiles work fine for me. I'm at work right now, but I'll take a screenshot of the nvidia inspector when I get home.

The only thing that you need to add if you want is the ambient occlusion profile which is: 0x00000024 (X-Men: Wolverine). It works fine.

K' Dash

I installed alice on my 360 HDD and yet for some strange reason the disc is spinning constantly, uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result, also cleared the cache and nothing.

Anyone else with this issue?

MattyH

K' Dash said:
I installed alice on my 360 HDD and yet for some strange reason the disc is spinning constantly, uninstalled and reinstalled with the same result, also cleared the cache and nothing.

Anyone else with this issue?

yep

Combichristoffersen

The graphics whore in me won, I got the game off Origin. My God is this game gorgeous on PC. I just wish I had an Nvidia card that could run the Physx stuff (I have a Radeon HD 5770). Gonna complete the PS3 version first, then I'll do the PC version.

Combichristoffersen

plagiarize said:
does anyone here agree with those low end reviews yet?

No. I'm nearing the end of chapter three, I think, and so far it's easily an 8/10 for me. Gorgeous visual design, mostly great platforming, combat works like a charm and everything is swell. My only gripe is why they removed Alice's ability to grab onto ledges. She could do it in the original game, so why not in the sequel?

Edit: And a minor gripe; they changed the Cheshire Cat's VA :( The new one isn't bad, but I preferred the old one.

I've played for a couple of hours now and quite frankly I have no idea what the low review scores are for. The platforming is great, combat is decent and the worlds are as crazy as I had hoped for - London in particular was very impressive.

Certainly one of my favourite games this year so far.

Combichristoffersen said:
No. I'm nearing the end of chapter three, I think, and so far it's easily an 8/10 for me. Gorgeous visual design, mostly great platforming, combat works like a charm and everything is swell. My only gripe is why they removed Alice's ability to grab onto ledges. She could do it in the original game, so why not in the sequel?

Edit: And a minor gripe; they changed the Cheshire Cat's VA :( The new one isn't bad, but I preferred the old one.

This is really strange considering it was in the first game...and is a pretty basic ability that characters in nearly all 3D platformers have

That said, I cannot wait for my girlfriend to get a copy of this so we can return to dat madness :)

K' Dash

MattyH said:

is there a way to fix this?

Edit: I was trying to find a way to fix the disc spinning issue and this seems this works, credit to KingLS, GF forums.

KingLS said:
Try playing a song from a USB device or streamed from your PC and then starting the game. Then turn off the song at the game's main menu. I don't have the game yet so I don't know if this works, but it worked for WWE Smackdown Vs Raw 2011 and Mortal Kombat which both had the same problem.

I'm at work right now so I can't do it, could somebody please confirm?

Totobeni said:
Just finished the game.

I can say that I enjoyed it more than McGee's Alice, it's as crazy as the original Alice but also has solid gameplay and combat system and better controls than Alice 1, as a modern games it's unique and do many things rights for me..

+Amazing twisted journey and experience with solid gameplay,McGee topped himself.
+Story is insane, didn't disappoint after all the wait.
+Long game 17 hours here without doing everything.
+Good combat system,not mashy, it require attention or it's will be hard, but very satisfying.
+Nice crazy weapons and move, Alice is moving killing machine.
+Solid 3D old school platforming and solving puzzles, modern games need more like this for sure.
+Fantastic level design and environments, some of the most beautiful and crazy looking levels this entire generation, good work artists at Spicy Horse.
-I wanted more of London since the real world was just as crazy and fucked as wonderland.
-I thought the music/soundtrack weren't as good as the first game
-The beginning was slow.

Pretty much Everything I waited for all this years and wanted from Alice sequel, better combat,more crazy wonderland, bigger levels, Alice history, more insanity.

9/10

For me it's up there with Portal 2, and Infamous 2 as best games this year so far.

American McGee and Spicy Horse need to make more games like this, Let it be more Wonderland,or American McGee's OZ or The Little Match Girl or anything, these guys are awesome.
Reading posts like this makes me wanna pull the trigger right now. It's like the complete opposite of what many reviewers are saying, yet I trust Gaf opinions a lot more. Thanks for the impressions.

The graphics whore in me won, I got the game off Origin. My God is this game gorgeous on PC. I just wish I had an Nvidia card that could run the Physx stuff (I have a Radeon HD 5770). Gonna complete the PS3 version first, then I'll do the PC version.
Hey man how is it running on your setup? I have the same card + a random quad core + 4gb ddr3. What res and settings are you running, and your FPS?

Poona

Ajemsuhgao said:
And on top of all that, the retail version is lame as fuck. I got one slip of paper, in black and white, telling me how to install the game. God damn.

That is disappointing. No manual and no bonuses! :( They should have done something like they did with the original game, as not only did they include a manual but they also included a casebook on Alice with dated entries from a physician who monitored her in the Asylum. Still glad I have that today! :)

I think it is the same. Maybe his voice has just somehow aged?

http://gamefanmag.com/hero-worship/interview-american-mcgee-alice-madness-returns

GFM: Will the original voice of Alice return?
AM: Of course! Alice wouldn’t be Alice without Susie Brann (the voice actress who played her in the first game). She and Roger Jackson (Cheshire Cat and more) are both reprising their roles with RJ Berg writing their lines and directing their VO sessions.

Mr. Hyde

Amir0x said:
Really the one negative is that the combat is definitely unimpressive as far as these things go. But it's unimpressive in a sort of inoffensive way. It works, it's shallow, but it works. It's not going to stop the rest of the game, which is actually rather well designed so far, from clicking if it does indeed click with you.

I dunno I'm still early going so I'll come with a fuller set of impressions when I nearer beat the game but so far, as someone who wasn't even particularly enamored with the first Alice game, this has really faaaar exceeded my expectations

I am sure it has been answered in here somewhat, but will it detract from my experience since I haven't ever finished the first game? I played part of it many years ago but never completed it and I don't think I want to replay it.

TehOh

I've played through the first two chapters now, and I have to say that I've rarely seen reviewers get something so wrong. This game has some weird quirks, but overall, it's bloody fantastic.

This is seriously one of the most beautiful games that I've ever played. The art direction is fantastic. The environments actually evoke some level of emotion, and when combat flows well, it is an impressive sight.

The game also feels good. The controls are solid, and the combat can get really hectic (but remains fun).

I was concerned when I saw the reviews, but I'm really enjoying it. The GiantBomb review really nailed the game - the rest of the gaming press is way off.

Mr. Hyde said:
I am sure it has been answered in here somewhat, but will it detract from my experience since I haven't ever finished the first game? I played part of it many years but never completed it and I don't think I want to replay it.

I've never played the first game, but I don't feel like I'm really missing any required knowledge. I'm glad this came with a copy of the original, though, so I can check it out later on.

Lime

Mr. Hyde said:
I am sure it has been answered in here somewhat, but will it detract from my experience since I haven't ever finished the first game? I played part of it many years ago but never completed it and I don't think I want to replay it.

You can always settle for the summary of Alice 1 in this game. It's under "Extras" in the main menu. Likewise, there is an visual storybook app for ipads and iphones that tells the story of Alice 1.

Top Bottom