• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Anthology Blu Ray Official-Oct. 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
swoon said:
those aliens shots don't look anything like the original film print
Prints don't even look the same as each other.

vazel

Banned
swoon said:
puzzling. people make pretty deals about these changes to other films. just throwing that out there
Yea, I remember the reactions when the Wachowskis made the first Matrix movie greener for the HDDVD/BD release. Not yet sure how I feel about the colder Aliens look. It does look better by setting a more thrilling sci-fi look and more modern but on the other hand the purist in me doesn't want big changes like that.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mr. Sam said:
No way can it look that good. There's just no way.

Check out the Blade Runner blu-ray. Shit looks un-fucking-believable.

Also, this kind of treatment is all I ask for Star Wars. Is that so hard Lucas? I guess it is.

Maxrunner

Think ill be buying this.....damn, those blu ray shots look incredible, im already *issed for not having bought the blade runner special edition on blu-ray instead of the dvd one.....

Dead said:
Screenshots!

Cameron and the restoration team deliver. Crisis averted. Aliens looks phenomenal based on these shots. Colors look superb, detail is still there, etc.

DVD:

21kebdf.png

Blu-Ray:

bgtjdz.jpg

DVD:

1zbtdls.png

Blu-Ray:

20zei4h.jpg

DVD:

2uzulac.jpg

Blu-Ray:

i6b13c.jpg

DVD:

2cohq9w.png

Blu-Ray:

othy5e.jpg

Full size as well as more pics, as well as pics of Alien here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1258568&page=29

I absolutely can't wait to get my hands on these discs

Blue and Orange tint all around!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
God damn.

I've never really watched the Alien series before. I've seen snippets of the first three movies but never fully. Borrowed the first two movies on DVD from my sister who has them both and really enjoyed Alien. Going to watch Aliens tomorrow and if it's as good as everyone says, guess I'll be buying this set.

NekoFever

Holy shit. I've sold the DVDs now so this made the wait to watch these again that much longer. These look up there with 2001 and Blade Runner.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
speedpop said:
God damn.

I've never really watched the Alien series before. I've seen snippets of the first three movies but never fully. Borrowed the first two movies on DVD from my sister who has them both and really enjoyed Alien. Going to watch Aliens tomorrow and if it's as good as everyone says, guess I'll be buying this set.
Crank the sound right up, it's a hell of a ride. I'm holding off watching it again until this release is out.

swoon

PhoncipleBone said:
When not done by the directors themselves they do. But I don't know of any restoration personally done or supervised by a director that was met with severer issues. The only issue transfers I know of were ones that the studio fucked up, like Lawrence of Arabia.

matrix, french connection some of the criterion dvds, blade runner...

swoon said:
matrix, french connection some of the criterion dvds, blade runner...
I dont remember Matrix and Blade Runner getting a lot of flack for it. There was some minor bitching (as there always is), but nothing like the Lawrence of Arabia fiasco from ten years ago.

gdt5016 said:
What was the Lawrence of Arabia fiasco?
The original DVD release was an edge enhanced nightmare, and the color timing was off through most of the movie.

Robert Harris is a film preservationist and worked with David Lean to restore Lawrence of Arabia in 1988. When the original Lawrence dvd was released there was a lot of fuss in the HT community over the bad picture quality of the disc. Then in steps Robert Harris decrying the restoration and how the color timing is off and not to Lean's specifications. A few years later of hemming and hawing, Sony finally releases the movie on Superbit. The Superbit one is actually the only release that was personally supervised and restored by Harris, and thus technically the only one that has an indirect Lean seal of approval. The back and forth about remastering the disc went on for years until Sony caved, and the bad thing is that it is nearly impossible to find the Superbit of the movie now.

Comparisons: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/lawrenceofarabia2.htm

So Lawrence of Arabia is one of the few Superbit discs where you NEED that version over the others.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/robertharris/harris073003.html

Harris's column online. Great reads.

Harris was also responsible for the Godfather remasters we got a few years ago for the Blu Rays. He has also said he would restore the ORIGINAL Star Wars movies for free (or really cheap) if Lucas would let him do it.

speedpop said:
God damn.

Make sure you're watching the Aliens Special Edition (directors cut) and not the theatrical cut. Everybody (except the woefully misguided jett) will agree.

Mr. Sam

I don't know. There were some pretty good arguments made in favour of the theatrical cut made in a previous thread; or at least in favour of certain segments being cut.

Mr. Sam said:
I don't know. There were some pretty good arguments made in favour of the theatrical cut made in a previous thread; or at least in favour of certain segments being cut.
I agree that lil things here and there could be taken out of the special edition to make it a little leaner, but there are also some very good and important things added in the special edition. The theatrical is a lean and efficient beast. The special edition adds some more depth and explains a few things better along with some kick ass new scenes, but could use just the slightest amount of trimming. Same with T2.

JoeBoy101 said:
I despise Resurrection, but Alien 3 wasn't that bad, and to get all the features and everything, I might bite down. Alot may rest on the packaging. I'm still irritated I had to import the Alien Head Quad set for the DVDs.

alien%20quadrilogy%20set.jpg

Wow, that's pretty sweet! :lol

The only thing I could possibly see cutting from the Director's Cut is the ammo counters going down on the turrets. Its not super important, but it certainly adds more tension. Everything else that is added should never have been cut in the first place.

This is why Cameron has overseen this cut of the movie for the bluray release. It is without a doubt the superior cut. Ripley is a stronger character and the relationships between her, Hicks and Newt are all the stronger for it.

For me, the removal of the colony scenes makes the movie 20 times better right from the get go. Something about those scenes just drags not to mention diminishes the impact of the marines arriving at the colony. Without knowing that they
already stumbled upon the aliens, there's a little bit of you that keeps hoping the colony didn't and its all a misunderstanding

Mr. Sam

Nappuccino said:
Without knowing that they
already stumbled upon the aliens, there's a little bit of you that keeps hoping the colony didn't and its all a misunderstanding

Your version of events doesn't sound as enthralling, I'll be honest.

Nappuccino said:
For me, the removal of the colony scenes makes the movie 20 times better right from the get go. Something about those scenes just drags not to mention diminishes the impact of the marines arriving at the colony. Without knowing that they

What the hell? That's terrible.

Its much scarier in the Special Edition when you see
Newt and her family start approaching the Alien ship and right before that hearing that there are sixty or so families up there.

Mr. Sam said:
Your version of events doesn't sound as enthralling, I'll be honest.

Sure, you don't want there to not be aliens in an alien movie, but that keeps you wondering when the shit will go down. In the Directors cut you pretty much know everyone's fucked before you get started.

I guess I just think its paced better without the colony scene and I do have a penchant for ambiguous things.
For me, knowing the aliens have been found is less exciting than not knowing and wondering

^^^ I agree, the pacing is much better without the colony scenes.

I agree that the Hadley's Hope scenes are a little slow, but they are also the most important additions to the special edition. Same with Ripley learning of her daughter in the early scenes.

I am not a fan of the added few moments of "Yeah, like a queen ant! She's huge!" It sets up that we are going to see a queen alien, where before it was just kind of vague. "Then what is laying these eggs?" "I don't know. It's obviously something we haven't seen."
It put just enough out there for you to question it, but left it just vague enough for you to wonder what kind of horror could lay the eggs.

All I know is that the theatrical cut doesn't include THE best exchange ever.

'...see you, Hicks.'
'Dwayne, its Dwayne'
*Emotional Ripley*
'..Ellen'
'Don't be gone long, Ellen.'

*Ripley walks out the door with the wind howling like fucking crazy outside*

The Hadley's hope scenes add to the brilliant slow burn of the beginning of Aliens before the 90 minute thrill ride.

Basically, its the slow burn of the Aliens DC beginning that to me made it feel more akin to the first movie. IMO the theatrical cut is the reason some people seem to distinguish such a wide gap between the two films.

My god. I was going to pass on this because of the price tag and I haven't even gone though everything on the DVD set yet, but those pics are going to break me. If Alien looks that good, I'm done.

Too bad Fincher won't go anywhere near this. I actually like Alien 3 (not as much as the first two, obviously) and would like to see A3 get as much love as the first 2 are.

KingGondo

Banned
Those look tempting, but I have absolutely no desire to own A3 and Resurrection on BD.

Maybe if the set drops below $50 I'll bite just to have them early, but otherwise no thanks.

KingGondo said:
Those look tempting, but I have absolutely no desire to own A3 and Resurrection on BD.

Maybe if the set drops below $50 I'll bite just to have them early, but otherwise no thanks.
I know I am sounding very repetitive about it, but it is worth getting the Alien 3 disc just for the documentary. The one on the Quadrilogy was amazing, and now it is uncut with an extra 30 minutes in it or so. It will open your eyes to just how fucked up that production was and why the movie was a clusterfuck.

Furret

Banned
Scullibundo said:
Make sure you're watching the theatrical cut and not the Aliens Special Edition (directors cut). Everybody (except the woefully misguided Scullibundo) will agree.

Fixed.

KingGondo

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
I know I am sounding very repetitive about it, but it is worth getting the Alien 3 disc just for the documentary. The one on the Quadrilogy was amazing, and now it is uncut with an extra 30 minutes in it or so. It will open your eyes to just how fucked up that production was and why the movie was a clusterfuck.
Hmm... I have $50 in Amazon credit right now, which would make it $47.99 for release-date shipping. Definitely tempting.

Thanks for the info, though.

Dem pores (and new hue!)! D:

Will be picking this up eventually for sure. Fuck it, I haven't seen Alien3 and Resurrection in forever, I almost miss them in some sick twisted way.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So in general, it is accepted that director's cut of Alien and theatrical cut of Aliens are the ones to watch first? I've seen both movies before obviously, but I want the best possible refresher.

Vigilant Walrus said:
Blue and Orange tint all around!
Cameron invented That, so there better be!

Furret

Banned
Lord Error said:
So in general, it is accepted that director's cut of Alien and theatrical cut of Aliens are the ones to watch first? I've seen both movies before obviously, but I want the best possible refresher.

It's definitely better to see the Aliens theatrical cut first as you won't appreciate it if you see the director's cut before it. You may still prefer the director's cut, but at least you've given yourself the option.

The changes in the Alien director's cut are much less obvious but the additions near the end really spoil the pace (and the continuity with the sequels). Scott still considers the 1979 theatrical cut to be his "version of choice".

Alien 3 is a great movie, just a poor choice for a sequel. David Fincher shows raw talent and a master of tone. Young directors today don't have an iota of restraint and intelligence that he showed on that film. The workprint that is on the disk is as close to a directors cut as you are likely to get and it does improve the movie substantially. The one thing Fincher didn't want to do is leave the oxen as the victim, he preffered the dog.

Sweet mother of God yes I am buying this, those shots look AMAZING. It'll be my first post-VHS purchase of these movies because by the time the Quadrilogy came around on DVD I was already waiting for Blu-ray.

Jacobi

Banned
why exactly is the color grading of the DVD an BR shots so different? which one is more closer to the original?

jett

D-Member
Jacobi said:
why exactly is the color grading of the DVD an BR shots so different? which one is more closer to the original?

I would venture to guess that the DVD release is closer, but you'd have to ask someone that remembers how an Aliens print looked like in '89. :p

Altering the color grading of old movies to have a more blue-ish tone seems to be en vogue. Ridley Scott did the same thing for the "Final Cut" of Blade Runner.

NekoFever

I know Cameron went back and redid the colour timing for the Blu-ray. I'd assume that he did the DVD as well, given his strictness about having control over these kinds of things, so it could just be a case of changing tastes.

He has just made Avatar, after all, which explains the blue tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom