• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Lrrr

No, it's an entirely linear game and there is no NG+ mode. I started it again for a few reasons. The first and foremost being that I really enjoyed the game and just want to keep playing it. I played it on normal mode the first time and now want to play it on hard (even though there isn't that much of a difference apparently) so that's a factor. I would also like to get the platinum trophy and need a few other random trophies from a second playthrough, as I finished the game with roughly 80% completion. Tbh I would probably be playing Assassins Creed Unity right now if it hadn't turned out to be a technical mess on PS4. To answer your original question, I'd say for most people it's a one time experience that you will want to revisit at some point in the future if you liked it.

Ha! I'm a fan of the AC franchise as well and was looking to pick it up cheap BF, but it's not on sale anywhere and even if it were, I've lost confidence that Ubisoft will truly fix its multitude of problems.

I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise and I've said previously, in this thread no less, I'd pick up the game when it went on sale BF, but nothing makes me trade in or stop playing a game faster than game crashing/progress wiping bugs.

Thank you for your responses. :)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Ha! I'm a fan of the AC franchise as well and was looking to pick it up cheap BF, but it's not on sale anywhere and even if it were, I've lost confidence that Ubisoft will truly fix its multitude of problems.

I'm a huge fan of the Alien franchise and I've said previously, in this thread no less, I'd pick up the game when it went on sale BF, but nothing makes me trade in or stop playing a game faster than game crashing/progress wiping bugs.

Thank you for your responses. :)

No problem.

I can see what you mean about the bugs, but this game runs perfectly and never crashed once on me in 30 hours of playtime so far. I haven't played it with the new patch but it sounds like a minor bug to me, just don't update it when you begin.

If your a huge fan of the Alien franchise you shouldn't even question getting this game immediately. It was made by fans, for fans. Imo it's the best licensed game since Kotor (which is my favourite game of all time)

Edit: looks like the patch has been removed now.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
NO! NO! NO! NO!

I'm not going into any nest.

Fuck that shit.

:(

This was the bit that I was trying very hard not to spoil on you earlier.

Keep your shotgun handy :) Your gonna need it (not as much as your flamethrower though)

EGM1966

Hmm.

That's very good.

A couple of questions for owners -
- I heard lots of complaints about the A.I. Has it been patched?
- Would you guys say this is a one-and-done type game?
Think you've got your answers but A.I. is fine: it's clearly working as designed some people just didn't like that design. Basically the Alien is biased towards being in your vicinity and hunting you down with increasing enthusiasm the more you make noise or the more you stay still. The last is what's throwing people off IMHO. They hide and hide waiting for the AI to get bored and leave and it never does; in fact it's more likely to hunt them down.

I'd say technically it's one and done for core game - it's a linear story after all. However I find levels with Alien quite replayable. Because the Alien really is random the detail of the experience changes. For example one play through of a level Alien stayed mostly out of sight while I crept by human survivors. Right before end of level it eventually came out and slaughtered them allowing me easy progress to the end of level. Replaying it came out much earlier, took them out then hunted me right through to the end.

It's quite fascinating because you really feel you're having a unique experience as the way encounters unfold is so emergent.

The game also has survivor levels (well level!) where you have to beat the clock to the exit without Alien getting you.

Lrrr

Think you've got your answers but A.I. is fine: it's clearly working as designed some people just didn't like that design. Basically the Alien is biased towards being in your vicinity and hunting you down with increasing enthusiasm the more you make noise or the more you stay still. The last is what's throwing people off IMHO. They hide and hide waiting for the AI to get bored and leave and it never does; in fact it's more likely to hunt them down.

I'd say technically it's one and done for core game - it's a linear story after all. However I find levels with Alien quite replayable. Because the Alien really is random the detail of the experience changes. For example one play through of a level Alien stayed mostly out of sight while I crept by human survivors. Right before end of level it eventually came out and slaughtered them allowing me easy progress to the end of level. Replaying it came out much earlier, took them out then hunted me right through to the end.

It's quite fascinating because you really feel you're having a unique experience as the way encounters unfold is so emergent.

The game also has survivor levels (well level!) where you have to beat the clock to the exit without Alien getting you.

You guys are swaying me. This is not good for my BF wallet.

Timeaisis

This game literally never ends. I thought it was over like 3 times already, only to have another mission. I just looked up where I was. I have 3 mission left. Lol.

strafer

I DID IT...I FINALLY FINISHED IT...

This is without a doubt my game of the year...it had me on edge the entire time.

Fuck me man.

Congrats on this achievment Creative Assembly.

Holy shit, that last part was fucking intense.

The three aliens popping up when you're outside, but how? I thought they couldn't breathe in space.

Also, the Alien behind the door when on the Torrens scared the living fuck out of me.

The ending didn't bother me, we know she survives since in the movie Aliens they said she died of cancer.

Also, I hope she didn't get impregnated when that fucking alien grabbed me.

Creative Assembly created an amazing game but their lack of being able to adequately patch the issues this game has on the PS4/Xbone is mind-blowing.

They released a second patch fixing the cutscene stuttering issues but with that came another game breaking issue on Mission 5 where entering the elevator to start Mission 6 crashes the game with a PSN error.

They promised to already fix the game breaking bug with Mission 16 and now this.

Hilarious incompetence.

Dartastic

Just got the game, and the first scene where I encounter humans with guns is absolutely fucking me uuuuup. :(

This game is unbelievable so far outside of that though.

xrnzaaas

I got the mission 5 bug after the game patched itself to 1.02. Had to reinstall it and it looks fine... hopefully I won't stumble upon mission 16 bug as well. It's a shame that the game is bugged so much, because I really enjoy it.

Markitron

Just got the game, and the first scene where I encounter humans with guns is absolutely fucking me uuuuup. :(

Everyone had problems with that bit, it doesn't happen again. If you haven't gotten past it yet I would recommend luring them out of the room 1 by 1 and killing them with the wrench (this will lock you out of a trophy/achievement though)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I cannot believe how crazy fast the game blows by on follow up play throughs.

I am on my third play through on hard and I am pretty sure I am going to finish this in under 10 hours.

Crazy as hell considering it took me almost 20 on my first play through.

There are certain sections like
the apollo core and the reactor which I remember being far longer that I literally just blasted through. Once you know exactly where all the androids in the apollo core are going to be it is so easy to just dash past them all

strafer

wow, I changed up my second playthrough a bit, going with mouse and keyboard now, feels weird.

I use my 360 controller on PC before, I dont know why, I feel more secure with that I guess.

Had problems there too.

There's a vent on the upper floor, I found that hiding in there and taking them out 1 by 1 as they pass by worked well. The ones that don't come near there are on the far side, you should be able to scope them out and sneak up on them.

Had problems there too.

There's a vent on the upper floor, I found that hiding in there and taking them out 1 by 1 as they pass by worked well. The ones that don't come near there are on the far side, you should be able to scope them out and sneak up on them.

I just sneaked passed them and that was the end of it.

They eventually get what is coming to them ;)

So the update corrupted my save file. I was at the Med Bay. Sigh.

Best to reinstall the game so it removes the patch. They removed the update from the server so you can not download it by accident anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like exploring some areas in this game mindlessly while listening to podcasts. Is there a decent collectible checklist with locations that is fairly "campaign walkthrough" independent?

I've searched a bit, but I can't find one.

Markitron

theRizzle

I'm having trouble updating my game I think.

My PS4 still says I'm on version 1.0.1, but when I check for update it says there's nothing.

Any suggestions?

edit: They pulled the patch? Bummer.

Oh my god, I just got this game for the PC, but it's SO jaggy. I have AA on, but it's still so jaggy. Is this normal? Is it just a bad port?

Darklord

Banned
I'm wondering, why does Alien still have aliasing when it have it turned up so high? I'm running it at 1080p, everything on ultra, Anisotropic x16, and SMAA T1x. Yet I still see aliasing around lights and grates a lots. Shouldn't it be pretty much gone with all that turned on?

On Demand

Banned
Have you guys tried walking around the nostromo during chapter 12? I think it's the beginning? It's when you have to
climb up trough the elevator.

Well instead of doing that i took the elevator to another floor and decided to walk through the ship. It's really an eerie feeling. There's no background score playing and all you can hear is the ship and the electronics bleeping. Everything just feels dead and alone. Playing with headphones late at night really added to it. Haha.

I took a few pics of that area. The lighting is so realistic

(click for full size)

Ugh. This game is so amazing. It really bothers me it didn't chart on NPD.

strafer

I just got the Ion Torch (I know I am slow) but what is my progress in the game now?

I doubt I am even halfway, right?

You can pause the game and go into load to see what mission you are on.

Do that and come back and we will see how far you are.

=)

You can pause the game and go into load to see what mission you are on.

Do that and come back and we will see how far you are.

=)

I am at the end of Mission 8. I know there are 16-17(?) missions but I find one mission longer than the other so I am actually wondering how long this game will take.

This game is going to give me a heart attack.

I just have an overwhelming sense of constant tension and dread.

It's a hawt damn shame this didn't chart in October. It's an instant classic of the genre and a stellar use of the IP.

But f me if this game isn't kicking my butt.

strafer

You know what I was thinking,

How about a mode or difficulty were all the weapons, Joes and enemies with guns are disabled and to top it off, the sound of the Alien creeping around upstairs is also disabled, making it even more tense.

Also the difficulty would be set to Hard as well.

EGM1966

This always works for me:

Hide in narrow space to the side of the stairs they come down - just head straight there you should make it ahead of them coming down
Fire up a flare and throw it way over to the top of the staircase opposite - three of 'em will go stare at it for ages while you creep up stairs they came down
One will remain upstairs patrolling around where you want to go - use another flare to distract him away if going for zero human kills or creep up behind him and hit him with melee

Flares
I find are good use for humans so long as you make sure they don't see you light it up.

EGM1966

I'm having trouble updating my game I think.

My PS4 still says I'm on version 1.0.1, but when I check for update it says there's nothing.

Any suggestions?

edit: They pulled the patch? Bummer.
The patch contained a game breaking bug. Be glad you never got to install it.

Fingers crossed another patch soon that finally fixed the stuttering without breaking the game

This always works for me:

Hide in narrow space to the side of the stairs they come down - just head straight there you should make it ahead of them coming down
Fire up a flare and throw it way over to the top of the staircase opposite - three of 'em will go stare at it for ages while you creep up stairs they came down
One will remain upstairs patrolling around where you want to go - use another flare to distract him away if going for zero human kills or creep up behind him and hit him with melee

Flares
I find are good use for humans so long as you make sure they don't see you light it up.

I honestly do not understand this.

Just sneak past them and by the time you have your first alien encounter you have to go back towards the same area.

You will see the Alien killing every single one of them. Problem solved.

kasatka

Neo Member
Finally finished the game, it took me a very enjoyable 30 hours. I almost never buy DLC (the only season pass I bought was Bioshock Infinite which was well worth it) but I'm considering it in this case. I understand that the DLC will be survivor mode only but there was a blurb about you experiencing events that happened prior to the Torrens arriving. How is the first mission? Is it like the bundled one but just a different area? My favorite part about the game was exploring Sevastopol, will it scratch that itch? Are these new environments or just self contained levels?

EGM1966

I honestly do not understand this.

Just sneak past them and by the time you have your first alien encounter you have to go back towards the same area.

You will see the Alien killing every single one of them. Problem solved.
That's my point - tossing flares to draw them to a point away from you makes sneaking by even easier.

strafer

Shit, replaying the game now and
now the Alien can look under tables and shit when I hide there
, never happened the first time. :O

Markitron

I picked this up as my free game at target and I haven't opened it yet. How good is it?

Those that like it, really like it. I'm probably not the only person here that thinks it GOTY. Don't hide too much and use your equipment and you will get on just fine.

EGM1966

Shit, replaying the game now and
now the Alien can look under tables and shit when I hide there
, never happened the first time. :O
That's odd. I thought Alien AI reset with new game? Have you been doing that more second time through? I thought it learnt to home in on what you used most but only within that play through.

What your describing almost sounds like a new game plus - where Alien takes adaptive learning forward into each play through.

strafer

That's odd. I thought Alien AI reset with new game? Have you been doing that more second time through? I thought it learnt to home in on what you used most but only within that play through.

What your describing almost sounds like a new game plus - where Alien takes adaptive learning forward into each play through.

I was hiding a lot during my first playthrough and never did it look under it.

BigAl1992

Can someone help me out here, as this is really pissing me out. I'm in the medical area, where you need to get the medical kit for Taylor and I've had to hide in the lockers twice from the alien; on both occasions it killed me, even after leaning back from the door and holding my breath and once teleporting back into the room I was in. How does this mechanic even work? Do you hold the buttons down for a certain period of time? What's going on here?

Apart from that, the rest of the game has no complaints from me. Atmosphere's right, the sound design is top notch. Hell, even when hiding under a table sometimes, I love the animations they put into the Alien. If only the hold breath and lean back mechanic was better explained to me. (PS4)

Markitron

Can someone help me out here, as this is really pissing me out. I'm in the medical area, where you need to get the medical kit for Taylor and I've had to hide in the lockers twice from the alien; on both occasions it killed me, even after leaning back from the door and holding my breath and once teleporting back into the room I was in. How does this mechanic even work? Do you hold the buttons down for a certain period of time? What's going on here?

Apart from that, the rest of the game has no complaints from me. Atmosphere's right, the sound design is top notch. Hell, even when hiding under a table sometimes, I love the animations they put into the Alien. If only the hold breath and lean back mechanic was better explained to me. (PS4)

IIRC you need to hold down and the left trigger (on PS4, so whichever button readys your weapon). Tbh you really shouldn't use lockers at all unless you really have to, staying in one place will only lead to the Alien finding you eventually. It's a long game and I still only ended up using a locker maybe twice. Just keep him in sight and duck behind tables and other waist high objects. The Alien will not see you unless your directly in his line of sight or if you make noise. Also use your flares and noisemakers, they are really effective in distracting the Alien.

kasatka

Neo Member

(PS4)

That was probably the hardest part in the game for me. If you get stuck just when he drops then you should know that you can sprint by towards him as he is coming down and take a left straight to the passcoded door. He won't see you. Just be careful because when the cutscence triggers your camera angle is going to change in a straight path towards him, you'll need to stop and turn left.

If your health is low, you can't hold your breath as long. Fill your health, otherwise lockers are deathtraps. Then just hold the button/stick until he faces away, even if Ripley makes dumb choking noises.

Also, don't use the motion tracker if the alien is close, judging by his steps. If he gets within about .15 on the tracker while it's beeping, even if he's in the ceiling, he'll know exactly where you are. That's what was happening to me when he kept teleport killing me.

Just finished this today, and I really liked the middle part. It started slow, which is okay. The middle was great, very tense and rewarding as I figured out how to deal with everything. But it dragged on for hours too long, with no variation. By the end, I was cursing at every obstacle. You need a passcode, a keycard, get the power working, this thing's broken, go over there and do this, but get derailed 3 times along the way...FUCK!. I no longer felt threatened by anything, and so I lost all patience for a game that seemed to be coming to the end for several chapters.

I'm sure they are very proud of the setpieces and story twists, but with no new gameplay variation beyond new levers to watch Ripley manipulate, it just fell flat for me.

EGM1966

I was hiding a lot during my first playthrough and never did it look under it.
Me neither so I figured the game must be more forgiving than I thought unless there's some funny glitches with the A.I.

I remain amazed at how different an experience some people get within the same game.

Top Bottom