• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Me neither so I figured the game must be more forgiving than I thought unless there's some funny glitches with the A.I.

I remain amazed at how different an experience some people get within the same game.

Isn't that the hallmark of a good survival horror game? That the AI being unpredictable makes your agency much more tense and serious?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Isn't that the hallmark of a good survival horror game? That the AI being unpredictable makes your agency much more tense and serious?

I would agree, which is why this game has replaced REmake as my favourite survival horror of all time.

EGM1966

Yup definately. The game is now my favourite survival horror. In fact I'd go with survival simulator as the unpredictable element takes it to a new level for me.

I've played some levels 5 or 6 times and each time things have played out differently.

Would love to see more of this but guess that's down to sales and how developers view the vocal minority of reviews bleating it's unfair and too hard.

Just finished this. Its definetly longer then it should be. Those parts where you just have to fix things. Like the generator or elevator really annoyed me because its clear padding. Overall a good game held back by frusterating designs such as the one that i listed and then theres the alien. I dont mind his unpredictable nature or that hes a legitimate threat. I just hate how often it shows up. I wish you could at least temporarily scare it away for up to a few minutes of time. You have this great environment with interesting notes tapes etc and i felt like i couldnt take my time and look around because of the damn alien. When you scare it away it just comes back like 20 seconds later. Its just a constant annoyance. Its not even challenging after a point. Its like if you played a jrpg with random battles and every 2 steps you have to fight something. It just wore on me. Also the item wheel. What a piece of crap. You should of been able to assign items to the d pad or something. Often id craft something in a hurry to use up items because there was a threat around and my item would change for whatever reason. Not even to the thing i crafted. For example id have the flame thrower equipped and id craft something quickly but whoops the alien saw me. Well let me just use my flame - wait why do i have the bolt gun Oh look im dead. So many deaths or uneeded damage that way.

Darklord

Banned
I just finished, 16 hours it took me. The last couple of chapters dragged a bit. The part where
the alien drags you back to the hive just for you to escape again
seemed pointless. I really liked the game though. Amazing visuals, sound, and it was a lot of fun!

I just hate how often it shows up. I wish you could at least temporarily scare it away for up to a few minutes of time.

You can though. The flamethrower and Molotov both scare it away.

Completed this last week and it has still stuck with me. Absolutely brilliant game I thought. The last 3 or so hours of the game were just ridiculously tense.

One thing I wish they would add though....

An explore mode! Like take the Alien
(s)
out of the game and keep the androids and NP's in Sevastapol station and just let you wander without any threats. I loved the downtime moments just listening to the ambience of the station. Would love to walk around the entire place and take it all in!

One of my top 5 games this year that's for sure.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Completed this last week and it has still stuck with me. Absolutely brilliant game I thought. The last 3 or so hours of the game were just ridiculously tense.

One thing I wish they would add though....

An explore mode! Like take the Alien
(s)
out of the game and keep the androids and NP's in Sevastapol station and just let you wander without any threats. I loved the downtime moments just listening to the ambience of the station. Would love to walk around the entire place and take it all in!

One of my top 5 games this year that's for sure.

You can do that in chapter 16 if you ignore your objective and head to the tram station straight away

RytGear

I don't think I have ever had a game where I have been completely in love with the start and the majority of the game but nearing chapter 16 I just wanted it to end. I was literally begging the game to end. Anyone else have this feeling for the game?

On Demand

Banned
You can't open all the doors/vents until Ch. 16 though

Which part exactly? I'm at chapter 16 and the
Alien is still around
and there's other people walking around. I let the working joe loose from a locked room and it killed them all. Also I'm still not able to unlock some doors. Chapter 12 doesn't have anybody anywhere. See my post earlier. I took pics of that area.

@RytGear......not me. I'm highly immersed in the games world. It's just so good. I can see how some might think it's too long though. I took a break from it to play CODAW so maby that helps.

SoapyCub

Neo Member
I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with this game. It keeps making me poop my trousers but I can't stop playing it. It's all been said before, but the atmosphere and polish of the game is fantastic. Ripley's voice actor truly seals it for me, it's like I'm her, it's surreal at times.

I'm not one for controller throwing or any sort of outbursts playing a game, but congrats to this game for my first
by getting me to flip off a closed door once I escaped through the air lock

Markitron

Which part exactly? I'm at chapter 16 and
the Alien is still around
and there's other people walking around. I let the working joe loose from a locked room and it killed them all. Also I'm still not able to unlock some doors. Chapter 12 doesn't have anybody anywhere. See my post earlier. I took pics of that area.

@RytGear......not me. I'm highly immersed in the games world. It's just so good. I can see how some might think it's too long though. I took a break from it to play CODAW so maby that helps.

When you start chapter 16 instead of turning left into the Area with the humans/androids, take a right and go straight to the transit station instead. You have free run of the entire station.
The Alien is still around but he is in a passive mode, ie he wont appear as long as you don't make noise by shooting/running. I managed to get every collectable and he only showed up once when I shot a stray android.
You may be able to free roam in Chapter 12 but you don't get the final door hacking upgrade until chapter 15 so you won't be able to get all the collectables at this point, about half of the Nostromo logs required this upgrade to access. IIRC you don't have the blowtorch in Ch 12 either.

RedAssedApe

Banned
just picked this game up for 23.99 at BB bf sale.

should i play crew expendable first? i haven't watched the first two alien movies in awhile. this one takes place in between then in the timeline right?

so i should watch alien -> play isolation -> aliens?

Also is last survivor dlc worth picking up?

Markitron

Watch alien -> play isolation -> crew expendable -> aliens.

I'd agree with this order. Watching Alien first will help you appreciate the work that Creative Assembly put into the game to make it so authentic. Crew Expendable is probably the game at it's most difficult so you should certainly play the game first to learn how to survive.

On Demand

Banned
When you start chapter 16 instead of turning left into the Area with the humans/androids, take a right and go straight to the transit station instead. You have free run of the entire station.
The Alien is still around but he is in a passive mode, ie he wont appear as long as you don't make noise by shooting/running. I managed to get every collectable and he only showed up once when I shot a stray android.
You may be able to free roam in Chapter 12 but you don't get the final door hacking upgrade until chapter 15 so you won't be able to get all the collectables at this point, about half of the Nostromo logs required this upgrade to access. IIRC you don't have the blowtorch in Ch 12 either.

Oh ok. Now I know what you're talking about. Thanks.

EDIT- Eh. Somehow
it still follows me and still manages to come out.
Plus the music doesn't help. You might not have the ability to unlock every door in chapter 12, but at least
the alien was trapped away and you were able were able to freely do whatever without worry
and immerse yourself on the ship and hear every little detail.

SoapyCub

Neo Member
Oh ok. Now I know what you're talking about. Thanks.

EDIT- Eh. Somehow
it still follows me and still manages to come out.
Plus the music doesn't help. You might not have the ability to unlock every door in chapter 12, but at least
the alien was trapped away and you were able were able to freely do whatever without worry
and immerse yourself on the ship and hear every little detail.

Yeah I just made it Chapter 16 and the moment
I hacked the kitchen door he popped out and was on crazy high alert. Jumping down from vents whenever I would move from cover.

This game is just too much for me.

I generally never watch horror films or play horror games. Usually it's the supernatural elements in horror that freak me out. I love science fiction though and I think that Alien is a great movie. I feel like it's more of a scifi thriller with no horror (supernatural) elements and as such, I really enjoy it.

But this game.

Yesterday was the first time in the game (really early in the story) where it saw me and I could not think of anything smarter to do anything besides turn and run. As I heard the footsteps closing behind I paused the game so that it would no reach me and proceeded to turn the game off.

And then later at night enjoy a nice little dream with zombies and the xenomorph chasing me.

Such a great game but I don't think I can play more.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is that bird thingie just an easter egg or does it have some kind of function. weird that its on the nostromo and then your ship in alien isolation

Markitron

is that bird thingie just an easter egg or does it have some kind of function. weird that its on the nostromo and then your ship in alien isolation

It's just an Easter Egg, it's not meant to signify anything.

Smo21

Just snagged this game, can't wait to play. I remember reading it had some issues on ps4,have those been fixed yet?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Hi. Didn't read the thread too much in case of spoilers but I have a question.

I am just about to start the game but I'm not sure which difficulty to choose. Hard is recommended by the game but I am in the main menu and already shitting my pants. Should I go with Hard difficulty or wuss out at normal?

Edit: I chose Hard but I can't take the mental stress this game is giving me at 2 am wearing headphones... Creepy as hell

Seanspeed

Banned
This game is just too much for me.

I generally never watch horror films or play horror games. Usually it's the supernatural elements in horror that freak me out. I love science fiction though and I think that Alien is a great movie. I feel like it's more of a scifi thriller with no horror (supernatural) elements and as such, I really enjoy it.

But this game.

Yesterday was the first time in the game (really early in the story) where it saw me and I could not think of anything smarter to do anything besides turn and run. As I heard the footsteps closing behind I paused the game so that it would no reach me and proceeded to turn the game off.

And then later at night enjoy a nice little dream with zombies and the xenomorph chasing me.

Such a great game but I don't think I can play more.
I love these sorts of stories. It sucks you cant play it, but its also a testament to the game's effectiveness in creating horror. It seemed to properly invoke the 'fight or flight' response from you, which means it did its job.

I need to get back into this. I stopped for a while. Its a great horror experience, but its also not terribly engaging in any other way.

Markitron

Hi. Didn't read the thread too much in case of spoilers but I have a question.

I am just about to start the game but I'm not sure which difficulty to choose. Hard is recommended by the game but I am in the main menu and already shitting my pants. Should I go with Hard difficulty or wuss out at normal?

Edit: I chose Hard but I can't take the mental stress this game is giving me at 2 am wearing headphones... Creepy as hell

Despite the game's recommendation I would advise you choose normal. There's not a huge difference anyway but it will make it a little more accessible. You can change the difficulty IIRC

JoeFenix

Going to be attempting a No Death Speedrun on Hard at 9PM EST if anyone is interested in checking it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/joefenix/

This is my second real attempt at it, managed to get to chapter 14 last time, It's very easy to get into trouble during chapter 6 but if I can get past that part I should have a good shot at it.

dofry

Despite the game's recommendation I would advise you choose normal. There's not a huge difference anyway but it will make it a little more accessible. You can change the difficulty IIRC

Hmmmm, it is possible to change in the options screen so you remember correctly.

Still scared when playing so it'll take forever to finish this it seems. Or maybe I'm overthinking this beginning section.

And yes, I'm a grown man at the ripe age of 38 but I still feel like a baby playing this. Might be due to alien being the ultimate epitome of horror for me.

Markitron

Hmmmm, it is possible to change in the options screen so you remember correctly.

Still scared when playing so it'll take forever to finish this it seems. Or maybe I'm overthinking this beginning section.

And yes, I'm a grown man at the ripe age of 38 but I still feel like a baby playing this. Might be due to alien being the ultimate epitome of horror for me.

Honestly I was in the same position, which is why I held off buying the game for several weeks. Whilst it is always tense, once you get into it and learn how to properly avoid the alien (i.e. don't hide in lockers, use your crafted items), you will find it very addictive. You get weirdly used to the Aliens presence, and anytime he isn't there it's a bonus.

RedAssedApe

Banned

naw i think you're more the norm than anything. people like to put on that tough guy act in front of people. but you really know that when we are alone and playing this we are scared out of our minds lol

SoapyCub

Neo Member
I played like such a little bitch at the beginning. After the hospital area, I found a little more courage in avoiding the alien, but would then have to restart so many times from horrible RNG .. it was as if the alien knew I wasn't as scared as I once was so it would just drop out of holes right in front of me.

Wow, what a ride! After only 29 hours I finally finished it. I've never played an FPS where I felt as though I were the protagonist. It's always been a disconnect and I'm simply a puppet master moving the character along through the game and story. I don't know what's different or how they did it, but I felt as though I was in Ripley's shoes, it was a weird but amazing experience. GOTY for me without a doubt!

dofry

I did delay the purchase too because I dread playing super intense games but I'll battle this through.

Encouraging words, thanks, will play more today while it's still daylight haha

Has the Xbox One version been patched to where the achievements and Recording system don't make the game stutter? I heard that story a few times at launch so I've been waiting. It looks like the cutscenes are fixed now?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just started playing this game. I'm about 2 hours in. Wow, they hit the setting, mood, and visuals for this game on the nose. I am fucking terrified.

Afro

I can't accentuate enough how masterful this sound design is. Probably the best I've ever heard. If Rockstar is the king of detail then Creative Assembly must be the king of audio.

Please use headphone, preferably w/ an amp with bass boost.

Markitron

I can't accentuate enough how masterful this sound design is. Probably the best I've ever heard. If Rockstar is the king of detail then Creative Assembly must be the king of audio.

I played it on a 7.1 system and it was mind blowing for a game. There is absolutely nothing more immersive than the feeling of relief you get when you hear the Alien jump back up into the vents behind you.

I love these sorts of stories. It sucks you cant play it, but its also a testament to the game's effectiveness in creating horror. It seemed to properly invoke the 'fight or flight' response from you, which means it did its job.

That's how I feel. I really think this is one of the greatest games I have ever played, bacause it does what it does so well.

Haven't yet sold it or anything, still hoping I'd get to experience the full game. Maybe next summer when it's sunny and birds are singing outside.

EGM1966

Agreed. I've never played a game with sounds and audio design this good. It's incredible.

I think the sound combined with a real good sense of movement (leaning, peeking over things, leaning back, forward, etc.) combines with the terrific visual design to deliver an overall sense of presence in the game world that's just amazing.

dofry

After I got over the initial 'shit in my pants' syndrome, I got crazy addicted so I just used two full days and nights to finish the game. What a treat.

Feel sad that now it's over. Easily the best Alien game ever. Has it's ups and downs but the total package is tight.

Audio mix is crazy good although PS3 version sometimes suffered from disappearing music but that was rare. Otherwise very very very solid and enjoyable.

That's how I feel. I really think this is one of the greatest games I have ever played, bacause it does what it does so well.

Haven't yet sold it or anything, still hoping I'd get to experience the full game. Maybe next summer when it's sunny and birds are singing outside.

If I could get over the fear, you can too. Play it with the lights on and using tv-speakers. Then when you get used to the game, switch to headphones. That's how I got over my fear. Plus the Alien becomes preeetty annoying at some point so you just yell at the screen instead of being scared.

Markitron

After I got over the initial 'shit in my pants' syndrome, I got crazy addicted so I just used two full days and nights to finish the game. What a treat.

Like I said to you a few days ago, this was exactly what happened to me. More people need to try this game. It really annoys me how much IGN and Gamespot's reviews have affected it's reputation. On the Time Magazine 2014 top 10 thread Alien was second and more than one reply was 'isn't that game supposed to be garbage' etc.

Yeah I'm not giving up on this gem. I'm 31 years old myself and the fear I get from the game is also something that gave me and my wife some good laughs afterwards (then she had nightmares from just looking at me play) :)

When GAF is asking for personal GOTYs mater, this will be high on my list.

dofry

Like I said to you a few days ago, this was exactly what happened to me. More people need to try this game. It really annoys me how much IGN and Gamespot's reviews have affected it's reputation. On the Time Magazine 2014 top 10 thread Alien was second and more than one reply was 'isn't that game supposed to be garbage' etc.

Yeah, I was expecting to get over it after I read your comment. I haven't read any reviews for this game as I knew I would get it based on people's comments and the initial reveal. Will check now though to check what they have to say about the game.

Edit: Read both IGN and Gamespot reviews. I do agree that dying often is frustrating as the save points are far away and many other smaller points, but I think giving Alien Isolation two 6's is insanely low score. Also, the less you read about the game, and the more you explore yourself is the best way to play this. There were so many scenes that I found to be fantastic because I did not expect them.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Happy! Grabbed the game from the PSN SALE but of course it's missing the fantastic DLC with the original Alien movie crew, right? :(

Is it possible to buy it that? And is the game's DLC worth it, is there any other story-heavy content?

EGM1966

Happy! Grabbed the game from the PSN SALE but of course it's missing the fantastic DLC with the original Alien movie crew, right? :(

Is it possible to buy it that? And is the game's DLC worth it, is there any other story-heavy content?

Both DLC with original crew can be bought. There's fairly cheap but on the other hand short. I'd play the game first then see if you're okay with the price. The Nostromo DLC assumes you've played the game I'd say as it drops you right in the deep end expecting you to know the ropes.

Markitron

Both DLC with original crew can be bought. There's fairly cheap but on the other hand short. I'd play the game first then see if you're okay with the price. The Nostromo DLC assumes you've played the game I'd say as it drops you right in the deep end expecting you to know the ropes.

I would agree with this. The DLC episodes are on a par with the main game's hardest sections, so if you found those frustrating you may want to skip it. On the other hand it's absolutely essential to big fans of the film, especially considering the effort they went to to get the original actors.

Top Bottom