• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Afro

i had to upload this screenshot. couldn't believe how good this bulletproof glass looked after shooting it up. notice the distortion/splitting. crazy detail.

alienbof3o.jpg

Is CA making a sequel? And if so, is it PS4/XBO/PC only? The graphics are a bit underwhelming.

Also, how are the DLC packs? Not Crew/Last, but the $8 ones.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Both DLC with original crew can be bought. There's fairly cheap but on the other hand short. I'd play the game first then see if you're okay with the price. The Nostromo DLC assumes you've played the game I'd say as it drops you right in the deep end expecting you to know the ropes.

I would agree with this. The DLC episodes are on a par with the main game's hardest sections, so if you found those frustrating you may want to skip it. On the other hand it's absolutely essential to big fans of the film, especially considering the effort they went to to get the original actors.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll beat the game first then before playing the Nostromo dlc.
I'm a huuuge movie buff and Alien is my favorite film of all time, I was lucky enough to watch it at the theater with the late re-release (DC's) since I was only 2 years old back in '79, so I NEED to play that one :p

CloudNein

Yeah, I was expecting to get over it after I read your comment. I haven't read any reviews for this game as I knew I would get it based on people's comments and the initial reveal. Will check now though to check what they have to say about the game.

Edit: Read both IGN and Gamespot reviews. I do agree that dying often is frustrating as the save points are far away and many other smaller points, but I think giving Alien Isolation two 6's is insanely low score. Also, the less you read about the game, and the more you explore yourself is the best way to play this. There were so many scenes that I found to be fantastic because I did not expect them.

Far far farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too much handholding nowadays. Too much auto-save sleep through the game style games. The save points help heighten the tension.

Afro

One of the coolest death scenes I've experienced is when you're in the
hive. The Xeno lunges at you and drowns you in that mucky water. The screen goes black and you hear a muffled gurgling sound
. Too good.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Far far farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr too much handholding nowadays. Too much auto-save sleep through the game style games. The save points help heighten the tension.

True that there is too much hand holding these days in many games, but my grief is with the Alien being there a bit too much. Sometimes you don't get even a few seconds rest when it's already breathing down your neck again. It's more frustrating than tension creating at some points. Intervals when it disappears and reappears don't work all the time.

Afro: I didn't get that death scene on my play through, but I liked that area very much.

Edit: And these few days I rewatched Alien and the attention to detail on this game is very very faithful. The audio, graphics and some of the scenes are taken so faihtfully from the movie. I haven't bought the Season Pass yet, but I am considering getting it as I want to play that 'Crew expendable' thing.
I also watched Alien (2 hrs) and Aliens (3hrs) documentaries. I am now officially hooked on all things Alien, again.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll beat the game first then before playing the Nostromo dlc.
I'm a huuuge movie buff and Alien is my favorite film of all time, I was lucky enough to watch it at the theater with the late re-release (DC's) since I was only 2 years old back in '79, so I NEED to play that one :p

2 years old, hah! I was already three at the time. You baby, me adult.

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm a handful of hours into the game and lack of auto-saves is easily the most annoying thing about the game. I'm all for punishing players for dying, but having to sit through the same scripted events every time you die gets tiring really quickly. Having auto-saves at moments when you transition from a safe section to a section with enemies really wouldn't have hurt.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm a handful of hours into the game and lack of auto-saves is easily the most annoying thing about the game. I'm all for punishing players for dying, but having to sit through the same scripted events every time you die gets tiring really quickly. Having auto-saves at moments when you transition from a safe section to a section with enemies really wouldn't have hurt.

After a few hours it really isn't much of a concern, at least it wasn't for me. There are save points everywhere in the game so you will just get the habit of saving frequently. I am a player of average skill and I didn't have to replay many sections in the last 2/3 of the game, this is also because you become a lot better at dealing with the Alien.

Bust Nak

If you don't want to sit through the same scripted events, go find a save station, back track to the last one if in doubt, they are all over the place, even in the medical section. Spatially you are never more than 5 minute walk from a save station, granted, getting there might take you far longer due to enemy presence. Use that as a gauge, imagine if there was no enemy, how long would it take to walk back to the last save station? You are due to discover the next one if you are 10 minutes away. That would work as a rough guide as to whether to push on or return to the last station.

Finished the game tonight after working my way through it for the last week or so. Really enjoyed it.

Never had an issue with the save system, thought it worked well in all honesty.

The sound design and attention to detail in this game is amazing for fans of the movies.

My only gripe is just how poorly it performs at times on the Xbox One. The stuttering issue is really annoying.

Not sure whether I would want to play a follow up should they decide to do one, think this is fine as a single game. I could be persuaded if they did something interesting however. Maybe using the unused Alien 3 script set on the wooden planet populated by monks

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm in love with this game. It's a great scary & stealth game. The sound design is amazing.

Jobbs

Banned
back to playing this game after a break from it. was playing with pulse elites alone in the dark at 3am and nearly peed at one point.

Sanpei

I am playing PS4 version...There is no AA on this game ? It's really bad...

Here are some shots from my gameplay...My video setting is 1080p...

It says 1080i on the back of the game case

10714199_10152908672913501_5375738546801651444_o.jpg

1926302_10152908673683501_6311886263582437786_o.jpg

10834925_10152908673948501_8591396223697942557_o.jpg

10848925_10152908672638501_3646184852661273966_o.jpg

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just started this up as was out for work last week and my order from BB from the BF sale finally arrived.. after digging into Diablo 3 co-op with the kid.. thought I'd break into TEW, Mordor or this.. on a whim put this in.

Holy shit, so good so far.

Drewfonse

Just started this up as was out for work last week and my order from BB from the BF sale finally arrived.. after digging into Diablo 3 co-op with the kid.. thought I'd break into TEW, Mordor or this.. on a whim put this in.

Holy shit, so good so far.

Pretty much me. I'm around 4 hrs in, and I'm astonished so far. The sound design, atmosphere, gameplay, etc., so good. Begs to be played with headphones. Even my nice-ish Sony earbuds are providing an incredibly immersive experience.

Beyond good.

Thrakier

Pretty much me. I'm around 4 hrs in, and I'm astonished so far. The sound design, atmosphere, gameplay, etc., so good. Begs to be played with headphones. Even my nice-ish Sony earbuds are providing an incredibly immersive experience.

Beyond good.

I disagree. The multichannel audio is amazing. It really fells like you are in a spacestation. Didn't know that surround sound can sound so real.

A quick question. I just realized I never got my TF2 items for preordering the game. Do I have to do anything in particular to get them?

EDIT: Never mind. Had to install and launch TF2.

Jobbs

Banned
been playing this game the past few nights. I think I'm probably in the last quarter of the game.
The guy supposedly blew the alien out the airlock, but since I didn't see it go out the airlock I'm going to assume it'll be back. :p

in any case, the most annoying thing that's happened to me wasn't the result of the alien AI.. it was something fucking stupid.
The androids are going nuts, and so I'm working my way through that section... I killed two androids, then an armored human runs up to me so I kill him. I keep going.. I see someone run by and hide behind a wall. so I run up and wack him.

"don't kill civilians" and it sends me back to my last save.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

>.<

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
been playing this game the past few nights. I think I'm probably in the last quarter of the game.
The guy supposedly blew the alien out the airlock, but since I didn't see it go out the airlock I'm going to assume it'll be back. :p

in any case, the most annoying thing that's happened to me wasn't the result of the alien AI.. it was something fucking stupid.
The androids are going nuts, and so I'm working my way through that section... I killed two androids, then an armored human runs up to me so I kill him. I keep going.. I see someone run by and hide behind a wall. so I run up and wack him.

"don't kill civilians" and it sends me back to my last save.

WHAT THE FUCK!?

>.<

That happened to me to, I think it is the only point in the game where you can confuse civilians with enemies.

Jobbs

Banned
here's a quick gif I put together of what happened to me.

tvxrQin.gif

it's the most bullshit ever. as you can see, I'm on edge because everything in the area keeps attacking me, I see a guy run, so I sneak up and club him.. and I lose everything because he's a civ. seriously, fuck that.

here's a quick gif I put together of what happened to me.

tvxrQin.gif

it's the most bullshit ever. as you can see, I'm on edge because everything in the area keeps attacking me, I see a guy run, so I sneak up and club him.. and I lose everything because he's a civ. seriously, fuck that.

The dude was crouching. I don't think he was a threat.

Jobbs

Banned
The dude was crouching. I don't think he was a threat.

everything's trying to kill me there, so I turned the corner and started swinging. not gonna give them a chance to shoot me to find out if they're hostile. plus I'd never encountered a person you can kill that would end the game. I didn't know that was a thing.

Jobbs

Banned
We covered Alien: Isolation in depth in the latest episode of our podcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7WmMukiMwo

Atmosphere wise, this game totally nails it for me. Gameplay wise, I wasn't so sure.

I think I'm in the final portion of the game, but, either way, I've played a fair number of hours now and been through a lot.

my opinion overall?

absolutely incredible; GOTY contender. Daring. They made an AAA game that I honestly never expected to see -- One that sticks to its guns design-wise and shows utter restraint.

There's enemies, and you can kill them, but it's not often. There's an alien, and you sometimes have to avoid it, but it's not always. a lot of the game is just walking through corridors, crawling through vents, and throwing switches -- but for some reason it's amazing.

I am so, so, SO glad this game exists. I don't know how well it sold but I hope to fuck it sold well.

I find it really disappointing that when developers dare try doing something risky or different they are rewarded by low scores from 20-something year old IGN reviewers who identify the game isn't played the same way as the other stack of games they have to review that week and so it's bad. IGN alone has spread a perception that this game sucks -- GOTY contender, IMO, easily, and yet it sucks?

I find it really disappointing that when developers dare try doing something risky or different they are rewarded by low scores from 20-something year old IGN reviewers who identify the game isn't played the same way as the other stack of games they have to review that week and so it's bad. IGN alone has spread a perception that this game sucks -- GOTY material, IMO, easily, and yet it sucks?

Ryan McCaffrey has to be at least in his 30s. He reviewed it.

Compared to the other big horror game this year, The Evil Within, A:I runs away with the top horror title of the year.

This is how I want and expect future Survival Horror FPSs to be done, even though Creative took some liberties with designs that could be straight from Amnesia and Outlast.

However, this should've been a candidate(and winner) of GOTY moreso that Dragon Age: blah blah blah.

Jobbs

Banned
I guess IGN, polygon, and gamespot were the trifecta of derp that created a perception of the game being bad.

same thing happened to Zombi U, but it's even more sad in this case because Alien Isolation is so much more polished and fully realized than ZU was.

clip

I've got a pretty specific question, but here goes.

PC version - My monitor's default resolution is 1920x1080. I'm playing Alien at 3200x1800. Whenever I try to take a screenshot with FRAPS, the game crashes, if I lower the resolution to anything else, it doesn't crash.

Sup wif that?

strafer

Finale chapter spoilers.

I don't know if you guys knew this, but near the end were you are outside and fix the stuff and then there's a cutscene and a bunch of aliens jump at you, well, on my second playthrough I saw them before starting the little minigame.

Before doing the six tube things or whatever they were called, check in front of you and they will be hanging out just waiting for you. :D

Markitron

Jobbs

Banned
TBF I think IGN and Gamespot were in the minority, there is a lot of love out there for the game. It's the kind of game that's SO good that it bothers me so much that so many people won'y give it the time of day because of those two bad reviews.

polygon review said it had bad writing and bad acting.

oh for fuck sake.

the writing was perfectly fine -- there's not a lot of writing/story in this, but to the extent that there is writing, it's fine.

and the acting was great! amanda ripley's performance is awesome, great to the point that I looked up the actress. it suits the character perfectly and she is utterly believable.

Markitron

oh for fuck sake.

the writing was perfectly fine -- there's not a lot of writing/story in this, but to the extent that there is writing, it's fine.

and the acting was great! amanda ripley's performance is awesome, great to the point that I looked up the actress. it suits the character perfectly and she is utterly believable.

I thought she did a great job of sounding scared out of her mind all the time, all you can ask for really as it was a dialogue-light game (as it should be)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I think the thing that I like so much about this game is that it's a pretty great stealth game and it earns every single scare (at least so far). I haven't had any jump scares - this is a true horror game where the atmosphere and situation make me genuinely scared to progress. The unpredictable and believable AI of the Alien has brought this game close to my personal GOTY.

Jobbs

Banned
I think the thing that I like so much about this game is that it's a pretty great stealth game and it earns every single scare (at least so far). I haven't had any jump scares - this is a true horror game where the atmosphere and situation make me genuinely scared to progress. The unpredictable and believable AI of the Alien has brought this game close to my personal GOTY.

this is what's so incredible. most horror games get their kicks out of leading you up to jump scares, sometimes predictable, but always the same.

the alien in this game is genuinely unpredictable. some sections I had to play through multiple times due to dying, and the same stretch can often play out quite different. maybe the alien will show up right behind you in some small room, or maybe you'd be safe in that room. maybe your trek through a given hallway is uneventful one time, or maybe the alien shows up another time. it's genuinely unpredictable, and BECAUSE you feel like you don't know when the alien will show, the game is genuinely suspenseful. those scares are earned BECAUSE of all the uneventful trips back to the elevator.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

oh for fuck sake.

I didn't like the performance from the intro but after that it's pretty good. Nice work, Dan Abnett!

MedIC86

Can you switch difficulty in a game? i really need to play on the new novice version. I really love the game but i have so much to play that i dont have time to replay every segment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
anything new in the patch outside of the added difficulty modes?

I am playing PS4 version...There is no AA on this game ? It's really bad...

Here are some shots from my gameplay...My video setting is 1080p...

It says 1080i on the back of the game case

10714199_10152908672913501_5375738546801651444_o.jpg

1926302_10152908673683501_6311886263582437786_o.jpg

10834925_10152908673948501_8591396223697942557_o.jpg

10848925_10152908672638501_3646184852661273966_o.jpg

i don't really notice the aliasing. its the type of game where the lighting kind of hides it well if its there.

Markitron

Can you switch difficulty in a game? i really need to play on the new novice version. I really love the game but i have so much to play that i dont have time to replay every segment.

You could in the previous version, I'm not sure about the new modes

Thrakier

Meh. This is basically "Annoying: The Game". So much Trial and Error. I LOVE the atmosphere and the graphics and the 80s scifi vibe. Love it to death, sounddesign is amazing as well. Will play through it for that alone. But the gameplay? Meh. Boring Trial & Error. I'm not afraid of the alien the least. It had it's moments the first 3-4 times, but when it's frustrating you, it just looses all appeal and you just want to rush through. I can see where a or 7 is coming from.

Jobbs

Banned
Meh. This is basically "Annoying: The Game". So much Trial and Error. I LOVE the atmosphere and the graphics and the 80s scifi vibe. Love it to death, sounddesign is amazing as well. Will play through it for that alone. But the gameplay? Meh. Boring Trial & Error. I'm not afraid of the alien the least. It had it's moments the first 3-4 times, but when it's frustrating you, it just looses all appeal and you just want to rush through. I can see where a or 7 is coming from.

I'm in mission 13 which I think is in the home stretch of the game, and in my opinion there hasn't been much trial and error, with very few deaths occuring that didn't feel like my fault. playing on normal.

a few tips..

1) the game generally lets you know in some form or fashion if you're in an area where the alien is roaming free. if she is, then pretty much crawl only. if you're crawling you pretty much will never alert her just from sound. she'll have to see you.

2) the motion tracker beeps when something shows up in range of it that wasn't there already, even if you don't have it up.

3) make use of the motion tracker and the sound of the game (sound is key in this game) to learn to distinguish when the alien is in the ceiling and when she's loose on the ground. you'll learn to be able to pretty much tell what she's up to.

4) you have gadgets you can use (such as the noisemaker) to save your ass if you find yourself about to be discovered with no time to hide. the game gives you way more than enough materials to have plenty of these things.

5)
once you get the flamethrower, things just get mostly fairly easy, let's face it. just keep the flamer equipped when the alien is loose. although, as I recently encountered, you end up losing all your weapons later on :)

seriously, if you listen carefully to the sound (I use headphones so I'm really keyed into sounds -- the alien sounds different when it's on the ground or in the ceiling, and it also makes a growl when it becomes alerted) and use your motion tracker and sort of learn the way things work, there's seriously almost no trial and error. I don't mean to be insulting but I think anyone who believes this game to be highly reliant on trial and error (of course there's a little of it, especially early on in your alien encounters before you learn the ropes) just hasn't played very much or is playing it wrong. If you run around carelessly, then yes, the game becomes trial and error. so don't.

i don't really notice the aliasing. its the type of game where the lighting kind of hides it well if its there.

Yeah, I retract what I previously posted-- the game looks great.

I think this may wind up being my GOTY. This is a incredibly tense game. The alien is amazing... I am still jumpy when I see the damn thing, and the game balances the hide/run-for-your-fucking-life gameplay really well. I have also found that the save points are rarely too far apart; I miss one if I take a wrong turn, but overall they are not a cause for frustration. The atmosphere is stellar; the sound design impeccable. Screw it, I don't know if it is a 10 (or a 7), but it is the best game I have played this year.

I know this is probably old news, but I just read the developer interview in Edge where one dev discusses how even the team can't get "good" at the game because the alien is too unpredictable. That statement, whether true or bullshit, put a huge smile on my face. So well done.

Do you think we will get another from CA?

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I retract what I previously posted-- the game looks great.

I think this may wind up being my GOTY.

I've been talking about this lately on twitter, but yeah, same here. This is probably going to be my game of the year. there have been several great games I've played this year, such as The Evil Within and Wolfenstein and others, but I think Alien Isolation is it.

Like many other AAA games this year, it's highly polished, but the reason it's GOTY material is because of its sheer design focus -- it picks a thing to be and then excels at it -- and because the game is so novel. I can safely say there is no other game out there like it. None. You can't compare it to other horror games. Outlast is scripted and predictable and becomes a boring slog. Action horror like TEW -- that can be great, but it's also nothing new, and you can solve yoru problems just by killing everything.

Alien Isolation stands alone, excelling in its concept and its sublime execution. The most immersive game I've played -- perhaps ever.

The most immersive game I've played -- perhaps ever.

Agreed. From the time the save loads until I quit, I am fully within that world. CA did an amazing job with the assets from Fox-- everything just looks right. This is the Alien game I have been waiting for, no question.

And to think I bought Destiny over this because of the hype... I am shamed.

I would love to read an in-depth develpoer roundtable on creating the AI for the alien.

Top Bottom