• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Agreed. From the time the save loads until I quit, I am fully within that world. CA did an amazing job with the assets from Fox-- everything just looks right. This is the Alien game I have been waiting for, no question.

And to think I bought Destiny over this because of the hype... I am shamed.

I would love to read an in-depth develpoer roundtable on creating the AI for the alien.

I have to agree, I am still working up the nerve to finish the game but it's a tough choice between this and Wolfenstein for me but I think I'll pick this because I admire its purity.

It is an incredibly designed game that has sound design that harkens back to the days of Looking Glass Studios and Thief, everything is perfect for the Alien fan in me and I know because everytime I play an Alien game I nitpick but I have no complaints with this game.

Nothing, the game is perfect in every single way and it has a fantastic PC port that makes the game look absolutely gorgeous and isn't a shitty port.

I really hope CA gets to make more games like this, or work with other old school science fiction properties.

Can you imagine a Neuromancer or Bladerunner or The Thing game from these guys? Oh man...

On my commute this morning I noticed I had an old episode of Rebel FM downloaded on my phone I hadn't listened to, so I put it on. During it, Arthur Gies talks about Alien, which he's in the process of reviewing and is not enjoying.

One of his complaints is that the Alien never leaves you alone, forcing you to do things like hide in a locker for minutes at a time until it finally decides to leave. He says this is especially annoying since you have to hold your breath by holding in the left trigger while hiding in lockers, which depletes your health. If you don't have much health the game won't even let you hold your breath, which means that you can get into situations where the game is basically broken. The Alien sees you can you can't run away since it'll get you, but you also can't hide because you don't have enough spare health to hold your breath.

I beat the game on normal and don't remember this mechanic at all. I hid in plenty lockers and only got ripped out of one because I wanted to see what the animation looked like. Every other time leaning back was enough to stay hidden, I didn't realize holding your breath was even possible.

Did I somehow totally miss this? Is it only necessary on harder difficulties? Normally I would assume that it's something that they removed from an early build but in this case since Gies was reviewing it seems unlikely they'd take something that big out at the last second.

Jobbs

Banned
On my commute this morning I noticed I had an old episode of Rebel FM downloaded on my phone I hadn't listened to, so I put it on. During it, Arthur Gies talks about Alien, which he's in the process of reviewing and is not enjoying.

One of his complaints is that the Alien never leaves you alone, forcing you to do things like hide in a locker for minutes at a time until it finally decides to leave. He says this is especially annoying since you have to hold your breath by holding in the left trigger while hiding in lockers, which depletes your health. If you don't have much health the game won't even let you hold your breath, which means that you can get into situations where the game is basically broken. The Alien sees you can you can't run away since it'll get you, but you also can't hide because you don't have enough spare health to hold your breath.

I beat the game on normal and don't remember this mechanic at all. I hid in plenty lockers and only got ripped out of one because I wanted to see what the animation looked like. Every other time leaning back was enough to stay hidden, I didn't realize holding your breath was even possible.

Did I somehow totally miss this? Is it only necessary on harder difficulties? Normally I would assume that it's something that they removed from an early build but in this case since Gies was reviewing it seems unlikely they'd take something that big out at the last second.

I think Gies was just derping. The game has very little unfairness, honestly, once you learn the ropes rarely has a death felt totally unfair. I've *never* been killed from the back. Ever. I'm always careful, always pay attention to the tracker, and most importantly always crawl when the alien is on the hunt.

The game asks more of the player than most games do if the player wants to avoid dying. Some people seem to interpret this as the game being unfair or random or trial and error, but I don't think it really is those things.

people do deathless runs. I don't think they could do deathless runs on hard if the game was somehow unfair or ever presented impossible scenarios.

Yeah, I agree. The game gives you a lot to work with too. Gies was complaining also complaining that the game was a stealth game and that it sucked spending so much time riding, which didn't ring true at all to me. Once I got the flamethrower I didn't hide once, and even before that it's pretty easy to use the noisemaker to distract the alien and move around it. If you're spending hours in lockers and under desks you're unnecessarily making the game boring for yourself.

Anyway, I was curious whether the breathing thing was real since, like I said, I couldn't believe that I had missed such an important mechanic. So I guess it was just in Gies' head? Pretty hilarious, he even goes on about losing health due to holding his breath made some parts hard.

Jobbs

Banned
Yeah, I agree. The game gives you a lot to work with too. Gies was complaining also complaining that the game was a stealth game and that it sucked spending so much time riding, which didn't ring true at all to me. Once I got the flamethrower I didn't hide once, and even before that it's pretty easy to use the noisemaker to distract the alien and move around it. If you're spending hours in lockers and under desks you're unnecessarily making the game boring for yourself.

Anyway, I was curious whether the breathing thing was real since, like I said, I couldn't believe that I had missed such an important mechanic. So I guess it was just in Gies' head? Pretty hilarious, he even goes on about losing health due to holding his breath made some parts hard.

the "hide in a locker for a really long time" is a beginner trap. I did that when I was in the first part where you roam with the alien on the loose, because I was basically paralyzed by fear. once you know what you're doing, though, and gain some confidence, you know to just keep moving and pay attention to where the alien is and what it's doing and whether it is in the ceiling or on the ground. there's never any need to sit in a locker for a long time, or really almost ever. it's a total beginner trap.

Once you learn how to create noisemakers and other tools, you're supposed to use them to distract the alien while moving from cover to cover. Amanda has tools to combat the alien until the flamethrower. How does anyone not use the tools that you make while your going along?

How game journalists fail to account for these mechanics is baffling.

Once you learn how to create noisemakers and other tools, you're supposed to use them to distract the alien while moving from cover to cover. Amanda has tools to combat the alien until the flamethrower. How does anyone not use the tools that you make while your going along?

How game journalists fail to account for these mechanics is baffling.

Seriously.

Honestly I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of the scores Alien got, it was fun but not great, but going back and reading/ watching reviews of this game is pretty incredible. So many reviewers obviously didn't use all of the tools the game gives you.

shiba5

Holding your breath is a real mechanic. When the Alien passes very close to the locker, a prompt comes up to lean back and hold your breath. The Alien will then do it's sniffing animation. If you hold your breath too long, you lose health.

Bust Nak

So much Trial and Error.
Trial and error is not the right word. There is zero guarantee that what got you killed the first time, wouldn't work the second time round. You really can't play this game with a "trial and error" attitude, you must keep track of what the alien is doing and adjust your action moment to moment. This is less true when it comes to joes.

...He says this is especially annoying since you have to hold your breath by holding in the left trigger while hiding in lockers, which depletes your health. If you don't have much health the game won't even let you hold your breath, which means that you can get into situations where the game is basically broken.
Why would you be on low health anyway, Playing on hard, I've got medikit spilling out of my bag at all time, with enough bits to craft six more.

It just mean you are playing it right, the more you hide in lockers, the more likely the alien will check. Lockers are death traps. You can hardly see anything, the alien could be stood still right by the door and you wouldn't know; and can't use your tools. Use them sparingly and you wouldn't see the hold breath mini game.

Daigoro

in case no one posted it yet, CA are doing a 25 days "giveaway" of sorts and releasing thins like wallpapers, concept art, and ringtones etc.i grabbed the ringtones, they are pretty cool.

check the twitter or the game site for the downloads.

in case no one posted it yet, CA are doing a 25 days "giveaway" of sorts and releasing thins like wallpapers, concept art, and ringtones etc.i grabbed the ringtones, they are pretty cool.

check the twitter or the game site for the downloads.

Great thanks for this!

Also, the only time I got killed in a locker was when I was using the motion tracker to see where the alien was. Of course it was in the room, heard it, and it ripped me out of the locker. But I agree, those things are death traps-- I never use them anymore. The game also tells you that "Hiding is only ever a temporary solution." I guess we all have different ideas how long "temporary" is. Me: 1-3 minutes in one place. Professional game reviewer: An hour in a locker.

Can you switch difficulty in a game? i really need to play on the new novice version. I really love the game but i have so much to play that i dont have time to replay every segment.

Not sure if you can after starting, but there is an Easy option now - which is how I'm playing it since i'm a big baby when it comes to the horror genre.

Holding your breath is a real mechanic. When the Alien passes very close to the locker, a prompt comes up to lean back and hold your breath. The Alien will then do it's sniffing animation. If you hold your breath too long, you lose health.

Well damn. I don't know how I missed that. Whenever I hid in a locker though the Alien would get really close and just leaning back was always enough to stay hidden. I don't remember ever seeing a sniffing animation either, the Alien always just paced around the room.

Astral

So anyone try Nightmare yet? I was burned out after two Hard playthroughs but I might give this another go on Nightmare once I'm done with TEW and Dragon Age.

Jobbs

Banned
the sections where there are
non-hostile working joes and the alien, and the alien has no interest in them, were pretty brilliant. I love how the working joes will calmly acknowledge the alien when they see it.

I often play games with a twitch stream going the entire time, primarily so my entire gameplay is recorded, so I can go back and check things, or make gifs, or whatever. :)

http://gfycat.com/PlainSpanishKodiakbear

shiba5

Well damn. I don't know how I missed that. Whenever I hid in a locker though the Alien would get really close and just leaning back was always enough to stay hidden. I don't remember ever seeing a sniffing animation either, the Alien always just paced around the room.

I only had it happen if I stayed in the same locker for too long. Eventually the Alien will start inspecting the area you are in more frequently and will start checking out the locker. I found it was almost impossible to get away if I stayed in the locker since the Alien basically starts camping you. The game punishes you for hiding too long, but it also invokes an almost paralyzing fear of moving too. It's really well done in that regard. It sounds like you were playing by its rules and may have never gotten the breath holding sequence.

I only had it happen if I stayed in the same locker for too long. Eventually the Alien will start inspecting the area you are in more frequently and will start checking out the locker. I found it was almost impossible to get away if I stayed in the locker since the Alien basically starts camping you.

Dude, what? That is amazing. This game really wants you to move.

shiba5

Dude, what? That is amazing. This game really wants you to move.

Try it. Hide in a locker, jump out when it leaves and get back in when you hear it again. The longer you stay in one spot, the closer it will patrol the area you are in and it will also stick around your hiding spot longer. One time I thought it was finally gone, but it was standing right outside my FOV. I leaned forward to look and it ripped me out of the locker.

shiba5

Definitely... though once you are in the situation you are basically fucked, right?

Pretty much, but I guess if you're quick you could throw a noisemaker and hope it distracts it long enough to get to a new spot. I tried going from a locker to under a desk - I was in one of the medical offices - and it decided to check under there just to be sure. I couldn't throw a noise maker either because just the door opening drew it back into the room. Lockers are death traps. Heh.

Jobbs

Banned
It's shit because it makes no sense. It shows that the ai always knows where you are and it's just a matter of its mercy if it gets you or it doesn't. Not very immersive.

you shouldn't be sitting in lockers for 10 minutes anyway. there's no reason to. that's not needed. lockers, in general, are mostly not needed.

It's shit because it makes no sense. It shows that the ai always knows where you are and it's just a matter of its mercy if it gets you or it doesn't. Not very immersive.

It makes sense if you, the player can understand that the Xenomorph is the perfect organism and cannot defeat it.

The AI reflects the character design. The immersion is not broken and lockers are the worst place to hide.

Why is it logical to hide in a place where you can't run? Or craft? Or scan the environment?

Well, it heard something make noise in the room-- getting into and out of lockers is noisy. And the alien doesn't know where you are at all the time... many times it goes in the opposite direction.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

This is just not true. You can't just hide in 1 spot until the Alien goes away, he will find you eventually so you have to keep moving. The game can be frustrating when it's forcing you to unlearn everything you learned from other stealth games, but it's completely fair if you use the tools it gives you. After I got used to the games mechanics, I was usually only killed by my own impatience, every time I died I felt like it was my fault.

I tried going from a locker to under a desk - I was in one of the medical offices - and it decided to check under there just to be sure. I couldn't throw a noise maker either because just the door opening drew it back into the room. Lockers are death traps. Heh.

So the alien can look under the desks... Neat. I haven't seen it do that yet.

i want to get this game as a gift for someone who only owns last gen consoles. Is it as atrocious as I have heard on 360 and ps3? The person is not that into video games, but they love Alien. So things like resolution or frame rate, they couldnt care less about.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm having trouble understanding the stealth in this game. is peeking like dishonored where if you're behind an object and you're peeking you won't be seen? if you're in a shadow can they still see you? there's like no visual indicator to tell if you're visible or not...are am i just being dumb and missed an explanation?

i kept dying in that first encounter on mission 3 with the central courtyard and multiple guards. seemed impossible to sneak by anyone because instead of running to the right when the guards all rushed into the room, i ran away to go save. when i came back the guards were on both the ground and 2nd floor.

finally loaded and old save and did it the "right" way by going up the stairs to the right of the elevator.

Jobbs

Banned
Just beat the game (playing on normal). When I started earlier at about 8pm, I thought I was already near the end. Turns out I had about 6 more hours to go. XD But I did it! It's over!

Thoughts?

The game does become sadistic at some point. I think shortly after I left the first alien nesting area (which is the first time you realize there are now multiple aliens) it started to become a bit cruel just in the pure drubbing it unleashes, switch after switch after switch with constant pressure from the alien(s).
So, while I did become a bit annoyed towards the end, cursing a few times (it's all archived on stream, too) overall I am really glad the game exists. When reviewers say it's a bit too long, I tend to agree, but it does doesn't take away from the fact that this is a totally unique experience that was in absolutely no way designed by a focus group. Someone had a vision and was given free reign, and while that can lead to some things annoying some people, it overall leads to a better game. I wish more AAA games were like this.

Amanda Ripley is a great character!
What a tough cookie. Around the part after she came out of the alien nesting area and comes up with a plan to overload the reactor or whatever, I remember commenting out loud how friggin' cool Amanda is. She just want to hell and back and she's still spunky as hell.

I need a sequel!

Thrakier

It makes sense if you, the player can understand that the Xenomorph is the perfect organism and cannot defeat it.

The AI reflects the character design. The immersion is not broken and lockers are the worst place to hide.

Why is it logical to hide in a place where you can't run? Or craft? Or scan the environment?

If it would be perfect, it wouldn't need to search. And sometimes it stands right next to me and doesn't notice me. Stealth is a bit...wonky.

Anyway, which of the tools did you guys use regulary? So far, I only found the noisemakers to be useful.

Jobbs

Banned
If it would be perfect, it wouldn't need to search. And sometimes it stands right next to me and doesn't notice me. Stealth is a bit...wonky.

Anyway, which of the tools did you guys use regulary? So far, I only found the noisemakers to be useful.

I went the whole game without using smokebomb or EMP bomb.

pipebomb came in handy a couple times throughout the game.

I didn't really use molotav or noisemaker until towards the end,
when the encounters with the alien(s) are just relentless and I was relying on anything I could use after being out of flamer fuel.

Bust Nak

i want to get this game as a gift for someone who only owns last gen consoles. Is it as atrocious as I have heard on 360 and ps3?
Don't know what you'v heard, but you might want to check this out:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-alien-isolation-face-off
Summery: PC >> PS4 > Xb1 >>>> 360 > PS3.

The longer you stay at one place, the more your scent pools in that place. That's how it homes in on you when you stay too long in the locker.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
i want to get this game as a gift for someone who only owns last gen consoles. Is it as atrocious as I have heard on 360 and ps3? The person is not that into video games, but they love Alien. So things like resolution or frame rate, they couldnt care less about.

Nope. It's surprisingly alright all things considered. There is some slowdown in some areas but the majority of what I have played has been fine.

i kept dying in that first encounter on mission 3 with the central courtyard and multiple guards. seemed impossible to sneak by anyone because instead of running to the right when the guards all rushed into the room, i ran away to go save. when i came back the guards were on both the ground and 2nd floor.

finally loaded and old save and did it the "right" way by going up the stairs to the right of the elevator.

I am trying to get a sense of what you did for this section, as I found it stupid difficult to get out of there without being seen/attacked...Could you explain this a bit better? I am assuming this is the section after the humans with the Working Joes that attack on sight... What do you mean with the bolded part?

And how the fuck do you kill a Joe without the help of the baton/EMP bomb? They are ridiculously adept at grabbing the incoming maintenance jack.

Jobbs- Not reading your spoiler part until I finish, but I completely agree with the last parts of your open comments. Let us know how the DLC is, if you have it that is.

The longer you stay at one place, the more your scent pools in that place. That's how it homes in on you when you stay too long in the locker.

Is this true?

So the alien can look under the desks... Neat. I haven't seen it do that yet.

I died a couple times because the Alien saw me go under a desk, then proceeded to pull me out and impale me.

It's far from perfect I agree, but as far as being called a survival horror game, this game ranks with the heavy hitters.

Noisemakers are your friend as well as the well placed pipebomb. Before I had the flamethrower, I'd lay a pipebomb trap, then drop a noisemaker and hide somewhere. Once the bang went off, I went on my merry way and never had to deal with hiding in lockers as a lot of people seem to do.

The EMP Bomb came in handy when I was facing multiple Joes in a certain basement area. Kite the Joes together, then throw.

And how the fuck do you kill a Joe without the help of the baton/EMP bomb? They are ridiculously adept at grabbing the incoming maintenance jack.

?

The wrench is great for stealth kills. Otherwise, Use the shotgun.

I died a couple times because the Alien saw me go under a desk, then proceeded to pull me out and impale me.

The wrench is great for stealth kills. Otherwise, Use the shotgun.

Pulled me out from under a desk this morning, and I thought I had been sneaky. lol

There are stealth kills? I am assuming you have to be very close? I made the mistake of walking up behind a Joe and hitting him with a wrench. Maybe I need to be closer?

Pulled me out from under a desk this morning, and I thought I had been sneaky. lol

There are stealth kills? I am assuming you have to be very close?
I made the mistake of walking up behind a Joe and hitting him with a wrench. Maybe I need to be closer?

Yes. You can stealth kill humans. I haven't tried to take a Joe with a melee weapon though.

Thrakier

I'm still amazed on how great the game looks and performs at the same time. These graphics at rock solid 60fps AND downsampled...sometimes I can't trust my eyes. Shows how important artstyle is over effect overload. We need more games like this and less of these monsters made by 300 people like unity or far cry.

Jobbs

Banned
But then you have to deal with it... I like having it as far away from me as possible.

it never seems to be that far. it seems to be an alien area or not an alien area. it does kind of magically track you from one area of map to the next, even if you aren't spotted. that's the one thing that annoyed me a bit, but I guess it's necessary to maintain the pressure and challenge.

HF2014

Might plan to pick this up, the more i hear about it, the more im tempt. But got one big question. How is the replay value out of that game ? Just new difficulty? Playing the game once will show me all i have to see? Just wondering if its a asme that once you beat you saw everything,

Thanks

it never seems to be that far. it seems to be an alien area or not an alien area. it does kind of magically track you from one area of map to the next, even if you aren't spotted. that's the one thing that annoyed me a bit, but I guess it's necessary to maintain the pressure and challenge.

I remember reading something about how, during certain rounds of AI implementation, the alien would wander off and not follow the player so the team limited it in some regard. Again, I really want to read about how they produced the AI.

HF-- There are Survivor challenges and DLC content if you want to pay. But I think the replay value is moderate.

HelloMeow

Another way to look at it is
that there are multiple aliens all the time.

Jobbs

Banned
Another way to look at it is
that there are multiple aliens all the time.

well, right, but imagine you're in a stretch of map, and the alien sort of stays within that stretch of map. now you make it passed to the next stretch, and even if you aren't spotted the alien will sort of transition to where you are now, even though you haven't been spotted. she sort of has a magic ability to stay within a certain range around you within any given map.

Without giving too much away, I just started mission 7. Does this game change or evolve in any way, or is this all there is? I'm tired of just running away and hiding from everything. The game, with its amazing atmosphere, is just becoming tedious and frustrating at this point. I unlock a door, or I start a control panel, and then I just run and hide... that's it. Well, that would be it if it wasn't for the trial and error of a lot of the hiding, where I have no idea or feedback if I'm being spotted or not.

First 2 hours were so fun. :(

Without giving too much away, I just started mission 7. Does this game change or evolve in any way, or is this all there is? I'm tired of just running away and hiding from everything. The game, with its amazing atmosphere, is just becoming tedious and frustrating at this point. I unlock a door, or I start a control panel, and then I just run and hide... that's it. Well, that would be it if it wasn't for the trial and error of a lot of the hiding, where I have no idea or feedback if I'm being spotted or not.

Are you not using the motion tracker? The game gives you all the feedback you need to make good choices. If there is nothing beeping or on the screen feel free to move around, and then crawl if you notice it beginning to beep. Always watch airshafts, though... if there is slime pouring out of them, wait or find another path. Also, use your tools to distract. There have only been a few times so far that I have had to hide in a locker, etc., for a few minutes until the threat passes, or have had to run out of the room. In 7, I think, there are long bits where you are only on the look out for humans and Joes, and they talk, so it is easy to hear if you are spotted.

Always progess and check the motion tracker compulsively. Beeping? Hide. Not? Move cautiously and listen for voices and noises.

Top Bottom