• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I think it's interesting that CA said Hard Mode was the recommended experience when even the most positive reviewers say that it's too difficult and unforgiving at times. I wonder if it's something they'll try to tweak in a later patch?

Again with that gif? The alien moves really fast and covers a shitton of ground, like a rooms length in a second and a half.

Had the player not died in that gif, people would be using it the same way.

"How could the Alien not see someone standing there 10 feet way? Busted AI."

Xbudz

For shame! And you call yourself fan of the Alien franchise? (Why else would you be in here)

It was the name of Ripleys goldfish

KcRi2ot.jpg

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Anyone else having stuttering in cut scenes on ps4? I've got the latest 800 meg patch. Just started the game so not sure if it's consistent throughout.

*sigh* another Day 1 patch. I thought TCA was pretty much finished the game earlier in the year and the last few months were ironing out bugs.

Grisby

So to play on hard or not? I guess the alien gets dumber on normal. With it having extremely unpredictable AI it might make for some frustrating moments.

Spazznid

On the spot yesterday, I was watching Aliens in my marathon, and I told my nephew, "You know, that cat, Jonesy is the real bad guy. He created humans and aliens and set them upon each other in an endless struggle for its own amusement, and now it watches from the sidelines as each of its creations duke it out for supremacy."

I still want this game, I really do. Even with the mixed opinions but it makes it more interesting for when I finally come to play it and make the decision myself of whether it's good or not. It's been visually great and what Alien fans have always wanted since the day it got announced but still.

xBladeM6x

On the spot yesterday, I was watching Aliens in my marathon, and I told my nephew, "You know, that cat, Jonesy is the real bad guy. He created humans and aliens and set them upon each other in an endless struggle for its own amusement, and now it watches from the sidelines as each of its creations duke it out for supremacy."

I knew it.

guy-takes-off-ones-set-of-sunglasses-but-has-a-second-set-on-aswell.gif

Learned the most absurd piece of trivia tonight about the Alien film. Ridley Scott originally wanted the xeno to bite Ripley's head off at the end and make the final log in Ripley's voice. W...T...F. I think that's one situation where I approve of producers interfering with the production. So thank you producers for not letting my favorite horror movie turn into a laughing stock.

MattyG

Banned
Learned the most absurd piece of trivia tonight about the Alien film. Ridley Scott originally wanted the xeno to bite Ripley's head off at the end and make the final log in Ripley's voice. W...T...F. I think that's one situation where I approve of producers interfering with the production. So thank you producers for not letting my favorite horror movie turn into a laughing stock.
Wait, he wanted it to use her head to speak? If so, WOOOOOOOWWWWWWW. That would've been terrible.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

It's this decision that ended up giving us the horrors of Alien³ & Resurrection.

;-)

Nemesis_

Anyone who has the game know what to do once you're in the medical area? I've found the code but now I have to find "rooms" but have no idea where to go..... or do I have to push back the Alien somehow?

Codiox

I'm getting jurassic Park SNES vibes from watching the streams. I think it's because you have to turn on some door control in this game? Is it comparable? Because when it is like JP I'm fucking sold!

MrE26

Neo Member
Anyone get the 360 version early?

Apparently its 2 discs... is there any way to install both discs (or whatever) to the HDD so that you don't get the drive noise while you're playing?

Is one disc just install data and you use the second disc for the entirety of the game?
Yeah, 1st disc is a data install disc & you play from the 2nd, similar to GTAV.

Raxious

ordered my PS4 copy for 37 euro's online :D Every store here has it for 69,99. Sadly it's probably gonna take a week of so before I'll have it :(

despire

So I got to watch a good deal of the preview build yesterday. Other than the fact that we encountered a bug which forced us to quit because we couldn't progress and the ridiculously loud noise Amanda makes when she enters a closet the game looked amazing. The atmosphere and effects were great. Just like I imagined it after watching some YT walkthroughs.

But there's just one problem. I'm not sure I could play a game like this for 20 hrs. Seems like way too long and it might overstay it's welcome. Less than ten hours would seem like more appropriate at this point.

What's the current consensus at this point? Is the game too long?

Neff

Anyone who has the game know what to do once you're in the medical area? I've found the code but now I have to find "rooms" but have no idea where to go..... or do I have to push back the Alien somehow?

You're looking for a room with
a card in it that the doctor has visited as shown by the schedule board
. It might be random, I'm not sure.

I think it's interesting that CA said Hard Mode was the recommended experience when even the most positive reviewers say that it's too difficult and unforgiving at times. I wonder if it's something they'll try to tweak in a later patch?

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Everything in the game -atmosphere, visuals, sound, music, control, environment design- ranges from good to amazing with the one exception of the Alien's erratic behaviour and overstayed welcome.

kubus

Has anyone tried noise detection yet? Just hid in a closet while alien was inspecting the room, and tried making all kinds of loud noises to see if it works. Well this alien had to be a deaf subspecies because even when he walked right past the locker, he didn't suspect anything. This was on PS4 btw.

The head tracking works pretty good though!

Nemesis_

Has anyone tried noise detection yet? Just hid in a closet while alien was inspecting the room, and tried making all kinds of loud noises to see if it works. Well this alien had to be a deaf subspecies because even when he walked right past the locker, he didn't suspect anything. This was on PS4 btw.

I swear he's more likely to attack me in a locker if in peeking forward. It's so annoying because I want to see him but at the same time I can't.

I assume he doesn't actually *hear* the motion detector? I've not properly tested it. I know if you hit the wall with your wrench thing, people will notice it.

TheMoon

You know what yeah fuck it why not, I've been playing destiny got smash bros and shadow of mordor why stop there? Lol ill be picking this up and probably last minute pre order just to get the pre order stuff.

Wooo! Where's my money, SEGA? I sold a copy! :p

strafer

After spending more time with it today here are some more impressions:

When Sega sent us a box of Alien: Isolation stuff this week the first thing we did was to get the game installed and patched up. This is a game fans of the Alien series of films have been waiting for, especially after the disappointment of the dire Alien: Colonial Marines game released last year.

Created by The Creative Assembly who are mostly known for their Total War series of games on the PC, Alien: Isolation is a first person survival horror stealth game set 15 years after the evens of Alien.

The game has you playing the part of Amanda Ripley, the daughter of Ellen Ripley. Amanda is trying to investigate the disappearance of her mother. As expected, nothing was ever likely to go to plan.

The game begins with voice-over work from the original Ripley, Sigourney Weaver and straight away fills you with confidence that Creative Assembly have done everything in their power to appeal to Alien fans.

After a short cutscene you finally get control of Amanda and get used to your fellow crew members and the android you are always likely to be wary of if you have watched any of the films before.

Because the game can last up to 20 hours, we are not doing a full review today, but early impressions are favorable. Graphically the game is very good, matching the look and feel of the early Alien film perfectly.

The only let downs here are the frame rate in some of the in-game cutscenes seem to be lower than 30fps and can judder and skip although Sega have told us they haven't come across these issues before. It also has some atrocious lipsyncing on characters both in cutscenes and during the game, some of the worst I have seen in a long time. The good news is that there haven't been any issues during proper gameplay sections.

The first sections of the game are slow paced, getting used to environment and story, it is only later on that you will finally get to meet the Alien and start the hide and seek games.

Voice work is excellent from nearly all of the Alien: Isolation cast members, even from the various bit-part NPC's seen during the game. At the moment though we haven't been able to play through the original cast part of the game as it won't go live until the public launch.

Sounds amazing. :)

I saw the game today at the EB Expo, it looks fantastic in terms of scares and setting. The one thing that worries me is the aliasing, it's possibly the worst I've seen in any game over the last couple of years. If you have a PC I suggest getting it on that and downsampling if possible.

Has anyone else commented about how bad the aliasing is?

silly question:but you sure you had the camera enabled for your microphone prior to playing? (just a thought)

Eighthours

This is bloody excellent so far and I haven't even seen the Alien yet (am only playing it in the dark, would ruin it to play during the day). However, it's unforgivable that it was released with the cutscenes skipping as badly as they do. Seriously, they're awful - must be below 20fps and they stutter all over the place. How Sega didn't pick this up is ridiculous.

kubus

I swear he's more likely to attack me in a locker if in peeking forward. It's so annoying because I want to see him but at the same time I can't.

I assume he doesn't actually *hear* the motion detector? I've not properly tested it. I know if you hit the wall with your wrench thing, people will notice it.
Ah, no I meant the PS Camera / Kinect noise detection thing :). The game has a feature that enables the Alien to actually detect you if the camera/kinect picks up loud sounds.

silly question:but you sure you had the camera enabled for your microphone prior to playing? (just a thought)
Haha not a silly question at all, after 5 minutes of shouting at the alien, I suddenly realized that the PS Camera mic was muted. But after enabling it, it still didn't seem to do anything. Maybe the game needs to restart before it starts working or something.

It's too bad the illusion was broken though, because I'm playing it together with the bf and everytime the alien showed up we started whispering, afraid the camera mic would rat us out if we spoke too loud :p.

Ah, no I meant the PS Camera / Kinect noise detection thing :). The game has a feature that enables the Alien to actually detect you if the camera/kinect picks up loud sounds.

Haha not a silly question at all, after 5 minutes of shouting at the alien, I suddenly realized that the PS Camera mic was muted. But after enabling it, it still didn't seem to do anything. Maybe the game needs to restart before it starts working or something.

It's too bad the illusion was broken though, because I'm playing it together with the bf and everytime the alien showed up we started whispering, afraid the camera mic would rat us out if we spoke too loud :p.
well it was worth a shot. I don't plan on yelling at my tv in order to make the game more difficult anyways. :)

Nemesis_

I'm sick at the moment so between the coughing and my excitable dog I'd be Fucked haha. I think the head tracking is nice, if not slightly gimmicky so I'm just sticking with a controller.

Neff

I've tested it in a variety of situations. Sometimes he seems to hear it, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he finds you if you aren't making any noise at all. It's like the game is constantly altering variables for your sound level and the Alien's ability to detect it, which I assume the devs thought would make the game unpredictable and exciting, but it tends to have the opposite effect. You never really know how hidden you are.

Jobbs

Banned
vllqpw.gif

The AI makes no sense at all :(

if that's unedited, I hope it's a fluke caused by some kind of game system malfunction or something rather than a regular occurence (I can put up with the occasional weird thing). Because that's some bullshit there.

Top Bottom