• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So we should be able to VPN and play early with Steam?

edit: there isn't even a countdown on the steam store page ; ;

I set my alarm for 4:50 a.m. so I can use the New Zealand VPN unlock trick on Xbox One and play a little before my morning class.

I'm too desperate.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So we should be able to VPN and play early with Steam?

edit: there isn't even a countdown on the steam store page ; ;

Yeah, Sega needs to set a release date using the Steam Partners site and for some reason nobody's done this yet.

I set my alarm for 4:50 a.m. so I can use the New Zealand VPN unlock trick on Xbox One and play a little before my morning class.

I'm too desperate.

Bear in mind that the game unlocking first in NZ is contingent upon the game unlocking at midnight on the 7th for every territory. Nothing is for certain until Sega actually sets unlock times (or an unlock time, as the case may be).

Edit: Oh, duh, I missed the "Xbox One".

Jobbs

Banned
Put on ya headset.

plan to play this after midnight, alone, with a cranked pulse elite headset.

a friend of mine likes to go one step further and play scary games with the back door of the house wide open. I can't do that at my current location, but I would if I could.

Well guys, I got mordor and didn't care for it. Wishing now I got this instead. It had been apparent for awhile that of the critics rave about it I probably am not going to thou out much, but if something is considered mediocre "Destiny" I'll still probably love it. I am no longer looking for 8 or 9s for evil within. I am hooping for 6 and 7s. Going to take a loss and trade in mordor for this and pray I don't get bit.
By a xenomorph

I haven't kept up with the thread but is there any consensus from reviews/early copies that toning down the difficultly addresses the frustrating points of the Alien or does it make the game too easy?

I know the dev recommend hard but dying 10+ times on the same section sounds more annoying then scary.

spannicus

plan to play this after midnight, alone, with a cranked pulse elite headset.

a friend of mine likes to go one step further and play scary games with the back door of the house wide open. I can't do that at my current location, but I would if I could.

Lmao thats crazy lol. I can dig it though. Its great to really get into it. I just put on my astros, its intense. Playing on hard by the way since the game recommends it. Have not spent much time around the Alien since its introduction, but the androids are creepy especially when they spot you.

Saganator

Hoping to get a refund on my Digital Guardian Edition of Destiny so I can get this. Really liking what I'm seeing so far, and I just watched Alien, so now I gotta play this.

Dazzyman

I've just pre bought this off the store with Drive club and NBA2k15.

All seriousness I do have a major heart condition I do hope it doesn't scare me into surgery or another heart attack pmsl. I love the films and I'm going to take my time and play this right and sneak. I've read some reviews you can break it but what stealth game can't you break by rushing around on default difficulty. Nits up to you how you play these games.

Feel free to add me
xBox1 Dazzyman
PSN Dazzy_man

Enjoy the rest of your weekend xx

Dazzy

I haven't kept up with the thread but is there any consensus from reviews/early copies that toning down the difficultly addresses the frustrating points of the Alien or does it make the game too easy?

I know the dev recommend hard but dying 10+ times on the same section sounds more annoying then scary.
Would like to know this as well

I've just pre bought this off the store with Drive club and NBA2k15.

All seriousness I do have a major heart condition I do hope it doesn't scare me into surgery or another heart attack pmsl. I love the films and I'm going to take my time and play this right and sneak. I've read some reviews you can break it but what stealth game can't you break by rushing around on default difficulty. Nits up to you how you play these games.

Feel free to add me
xBox1 Dazzyman
PSN Dazzy_man

Enjoy the rest of your weekend xx

Dazzy

I have heart condition and never had problems with games like DeadSpace. I wonder about this and The Evil Within too

Shredderi

So I just watched Resurrection for the first time ever. Interesting to say the least. Didn't feel like an Alien movie at all but it was actually pretty entertaining in a pulpy way. I actually felt a little bad for the Ripley/Xenomorph thing at the end :D

Neff

Ugh now the Alien has taken to springing instakill traps from overhead ducts with no whiff of movement from the tracker.

I'm really starting to hate this game more than I love it. Want to stay positive, but this shit is ridiculous.

Astral

Ugh now the Alien has taken to springing instakill traps from overhead ducts with no whiff of movement from the tracker.

I'm really starting to hate this game more than I love it. Want to stay positive, but this shit is ridiculous.

I think you're able to spot his drool when he lays overhead traps like that.

Stevey

Just avoid the vents- have you not watched the films?

Neff

Just avoid the vents- have you not watched the films?

Yeah they can be avoided easily, but his appearances in them don't remotely correspond with his seconds-ago whereabouts, it's very cheap. I'm resigned to assuming he's some sort of omnipresent super-being who can be wherever he wants, whenever he wants.

Believe in the gif.

Yibby

Yeah they can be avoided easily, but his appearances in them don't remotely correspond with his seconds-ago whereabouts, it's very cheap. I'm resigned to assuming he's some sort of omnipresent super-being who can be wherever he wants, whenever he wants.

On what difficulty do you Play ?

Neff

On what difficulty do you Play ?

On hard, like the game suggests.

Honestly I think this game is going to be more enjoyable on repeat plays. Caution and preparation goes a long way, especially against humans and Working Joes, but otherwise, It's so very trial and error-based that playing it with foreknowledge of all the jank will probably be the only way to ever feel like you're actually good at the game.

And yet, I can't stop playing, because it does so many other things so well. Big budget horror! Puzzles! Exploration! in 2014! It's brilliantly old-school and echoes the film it's based on amazingly.

I just hate the Alien. But maybe I can learn to love to hate him.

Hey bro, so who we hiding from?

LMAO

xBladeM6x

On hard, like the game suggests.

Honestly I think this game is going to be more enjoyable on repeat plays. Caution and preparation goes a long way, especially against humans and Working Joes, but otherwise, It's so very trial and error-based that playing it with foreknowledge of all the jank will probably be the only way to ever feel like you're actually good at the game.

And yet, I can't stop playing, because it does so many other things so well. Big budget horror! Puzzles! Exploration! in 2014! It's brilliantly old-school and echoes the film it's based on amazingly.

I just hate the Alien. But maybe I can learn to love to hate him.

LMAO

Is the map large? Or does it feel like a small map overall?

liquidtmd

Banned
Okay an Alien just got inside a locker with me.

The mental image of that is hillarious.

Theyve pitched this game for six months as 'Just you vs. one Alien. Silent. Deadly'
Day 1 of user reports - yeah we've taken to hiding in the locker together.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

I believe the early trackers could only scan the level you are on

xBladeM6x

It's absolutely massive. Metroid-esque.

Then I take it this is legit.

Alien_Isolation_Map_-2.png

Also, you should play on Normal at some point, and let us know how it is compared to Hard. I'm hoping it's not as frustrating.

Ozium

Read here on GAF (still no email yet) that AMD said codes will be going out "some time" after release?

salty

Neff

Then I take it this is legit.

Also, you should play on Normal at some point, and let us know how it is compared to Hard. I'm hoping it's not as frustrating.

It's legit. I can see plenty of areas I recognise in that map.

I'm actually tempted to restart on normal. Partly to compare, partly to get a more hands-on, relaxed feel for the game rather than being repeatedly killed until I figure it out. Hard's manageable to a point, but I suspect it might expect you to know a lot in advance, perhaps from playing normal previously.

vpance

Just saw this guy open a door into a room and get insta killed by a face hugger. That is cheap as hell. Retries must make up 3/4 of the game's playtime

Verger

Banned
Just saw this guy open a door into a room and get insta killed by a face hugger. That is cheap as hell. Retries must make up 3/4 of the game's playtime
Not to be that guy, but how is this particular complaint any different than Demons/Dark Souls where you pretty much get killed by cheaply-placed enemies which you'd never see on a first playthrough?

Top Bottom