• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Jimmydg

After spending more time with it today here are some more impressions:

When Sega sent us a box of Alien: Isolation stuff this week the first thing we did was to get the game installed and patched up. This is a game fans of the Alien series of films have been waiting for, especially after the disappointment of the dire Alien: Colonial Marines game released last year.

Created by The Creative Assembly who are mostly known for their Total War series of games on the PC, Alien: Isolation is a first person survival horror stealth game set 15 years after the evens of Alien.

The game has you playing the part of Amanda Ripley, the daughter of Ellen Ripley. Amanda is trying to investigate the disappearance of her mother. As expected, nothing was ever likely to go to plan.

The game begins with voice-over work from the original Ripley, Sigourney Weaver and straight away fills you with confidence that Creative Assembly have done everything in their power to appeal to Alien fans.

After a short cutscene you finally get control of Amanda and get used to your fellow crew members and the android you are always likely to be wary of if you have watched any of the films before.

Because the game can last up to 20 hours, we are not doing a full review today, but early impressions are favorable. Graphically the game is very good, matching the look and feel of the early Alien film perfectly.

The only let downs here are the frame rate in some of the in-game cutscenes seem to be lower than 30fps and can judder and skip although Sega have told us they haven't come across these issues before. It also has some atrocious lipsyncing on characters both in cutscenes and during the game, some of the worst I have seen in a long time. The good news is that there haven't been any issues during proper gameplay sections.

The first sections of the game are slow paced, getting used to environment and story, it is only later on that you will finally get to meet the Alien and start the hide and seek games.

Voice work is excellent from nearly all of the Alien: Isolation cast members, even from the various bit-part NPC's seen during the game. At the moment though we haven't been able to play through the original cast part of the game as it won't go live until the public launch.

dcVVChhk.gif

Saw it asked earlier but I don't think anyone answered. Does the game make use of the DS4 speaker for the motion tracker? Seems like a missed trick if not

Jobbs

Banned
gametrailers gave alien isolation a 6 and five nights at freddy's an 8?

edit: probably shoulda said this in the reviews thread, but still..

kubus

Saw it asked earlier but I don't think anyone answered. Does the game make use of the DS4 speaker for the motion tracker? Seems like a missed trick if not
Yes, it does! It even occassionaly beeps when you're not actively looking at it. It reminded me a lot of ZombiU, which is a good thing :).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And the alien is running at lightspeed, right?

This was just impossible. The AI is cheating.
Don't know about light speed but the Xenomorph is basically a Velociraptor.
Based on its legs it can jump very far and run at high speeds.

Guerrilla

So people are getting this early?

Did anyone in Germany get the game early yet? Might check out our local rental place later...

Can't wait to play this

Bust Nak

And the alien is running at lightspeed, right?

This was just impossible. The AI is cheating.
A human can dash at 9m/s, the player was what, 4-5 meter away from the alien? Add in extra time to account for a turn, hardly impossible even with our short legs. Now look at how long the alien's legs are.

TheMoon

A human can dash at 9m/s, the player was what, 4-5 meter away from the alien? Add in extra time to account for a turn, hardly impossible even with our short legs. Now look at how long the alien's legs are.

And then add the very long tail which it uses to kill you.

Denton

Game already preloaded. According to funstock where I bought it, it should unlock tomorrow at 4 GMT:
ATTENTION: you will be able to play only from October 6, 2014 at 4pm GMT - official release of the game (automatic activation through Steam).

That would be right when I get home from work which is nice.

King_Moc

Banned
Wait so it isn't 60fps on console? Sworn it was played it at EGX and it felt like 60fps.

I played it there and it was clearly a million miles from 60fps. It actually felt a little unresponsive as a result, as the camera movement was slightly floaty.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought it released on the 7th?

If the game unlocks worldwide at the same time (midnight the 7th, Pacific Time), then 4pm on the 6th for the UK makes sense.

Edit: I momentarily forgot how the continents of the world are laid out, haha.

DukeBobby

I was watching some footage yesterday, and the framerate appeared to drop to about 10 -15fps when the player set a group of 'Working Joe' androids on fire. The frame rate was pretty poor throughout, actually.

I'm pretty sure it was the last gen version, though.

Calmine

I played it there and it was clearly a million miles from 60fps. It actually felt a little unresponsive as a result, as the camera movement was slightly floaty.

Well kinda felt it Was then again I thought Shadow of Mordor was 60fps and I was wrong about that.

Is anybody else waiting for their key from the AMD Never Settle Bundle? Is anybody familiar with whether or not they tend to release their keys at the same time as other online retailers like GMG?

TheMoon

You guys and your framerate obsessions. Crazy how this is the most talked about thing over the last few pages next to brokenaiwtf.gif

vpance

I've been watching the streams and this seems like an ultra trial and error game. It is on hard mode, though. Normally I'd be put off by this but it still seems compelling from a rogue like puzzle point of view.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the earliest release of Alien on steam would be in Hong Kong?

If we assume a midnight release, which is what the time vogelkacke posted aligns with (23 hours and 47 minutes from his post is midnight in GMT+8 regions), then New Zealand will get the game first. But again, it's hard to be sure since Sega hasn't set a release date yet (within Steam's backend, that is).

If we assume a midnight release, which is what the time vogelkacke posted aligns with (23 hours and 47 minutes from his post is midnight in GMT+8 regions), then New Zealand will get the game first. But again, it's hard to be sure since Sega hasn't set a release date yet (within Steam's backend, that is).

Thanks for clearing that up JaseC, hope it will be released tomorrow, instead of the 7th.

Looks like I can price match my E3 Amazon preorder for this game at Target here in Canada.

$55.24 minus the $10 gift card I got for Shadow of Mordor (PM my E3 preorder for that too so I got it for $48.99 plus that gift card) making it only $45.24 for the PS4 version, and they confirmed all the launch copies they are getting will be Nostromo Editions since they don't do preorders.

Woohoo!

Still skeptical of the cheating Alien AI and the manual save points making for trial and error rinse and repeat gameplay.

Watching streams and this game is like a engineer sim version of Dead Space 1. Go fix this, go realign that, go find this. More shit broke, go fix it. But instead of just pressing A to do stuff, you actually have to turn dials, do hacking, and door opening.

Top Bottom