• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Omega

Banned
what do you guys think? just caught the end of summits stream. he said the first 4-5 hours are good but hated the rest of the game. says if he had to rate it, 6/10

komplanen

So far I've only played the very beginning (no Xenomorph so far) and I'm feeling the tension. Only gripe so far is that the PC version lacks any AA and 95% of the lighting is baked in. I'm playing maxed out of course.

EDIT: Oh shit my bad, I didn't know I could scroll down the options. There's an AA option that was disabled.

Skyzard

Banned
what do you guys think? just caught the end of summits stream. he said the first 4-5 hours are good but hated the rest of the game. says if he had to rate it, 6/10

Maybe he played it too quickly?

Seems like with horror games you should take some breaks and come back to it.

SZips

What didn't he like about the last part of the game?

I'm about 4 hours in now and it's "okay" but really nothing exceptional. It's also not scary, more, I guess the right word would be "annoying" thanks to the lack of a checkpoint system. The only reason I'm "afraid" of being caught by anything is because I know everything I'm going to have to re-do as a result.

I'm about 4 hours in now and it's "okay" but really nothing exceptional. It's also not scary, more, I guess the right word would be "annoying" thanks to the lack of a checkpoint system. The only reason I'm "afraid" of being caught by anything is because I know everything I'm going to have to re-do as a result.

This is exactly what I'm feeling; feelbadman.

Let's say I like the game but I come to the point where this kills my enjoyment to the point I don't want to play anymore.... is there a way to force quicksave on pc?

Just completed the Crew Expendable DLC. So awesome. The Alien fanboy in me is so giddy right now.

Edit: and now Last Survivor. So good!!

My God the framerate during the cutscenes on PS4 are horrible. Love the atmosphere so far, but for some reason I can't get past this first encounter with the humans after you pick up some tool that's busted. I have no clue what to do.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out

SZips

Are you both playing on hard?
Not on my first (and maybe only?) play through. I heard ahead of time how annoying the lack of checkpoints/saves were in this game. I value my time and sanity that I wouldn't put myself in the position where I'd have to replay sections due to poor design decisions.

Let's say I like the game but I come to the point where this kills my enjoyment to the point I don't want to play anymore.... is there a way to force quicksave on pc?
Ugh, that's really unfortunate to hear. I suppose I'll cross that path when I get there then.

Faith

Imagine this, but in VR. You can't turn away from your screen. its all around you, inches from your face.

Fuck.
Actually it's not that close. It's as far away as it would be in RL.

Btw, what's the problem with the FoV? Horror games have to be like that for the immersion.

Skyzard

Banned
Not on my first (and maybe only?) play through. I heard ahead of time how annoying the lack of checkpoints/saves were in this game. I value my time and sanity that I wouldn't put myself in the position where I'd have to replay sections due to poor design decisions.

Ah I was hoping to avoid the same problems, playing on normal but so far haven't found the saves to be too much trouble, perhaps on the 4th mission.

-Deimos

I can only play this in about 30 minute bursts. Maybe I'm a wimp, but the tension really starts getting to me. Love it though!

I cannot play this for more than 10 minutes at a time lol

Same here, I can only play for an hour or two before the tension gets to me. Then immediately afterwards I really want to start playing again.

The beginning is so much scarier than what I've seen in videos so far. No motion detector, no weapons, the atmosphere, enemies on hard mode. It's terrifying. I love it.

What makes it really scary for me is that I avoided media as much as possible so I didn't really know when the alien was supposed to show up. Right now, I'm at the point just before you meet him but I was expecting him to show up at any moment during the intro.

For anybody that's looking for another opinion on the game.

Giantbomb 4/5 by Patrick Klepek

I think the game is great, and agree with Patrick for the most part.

I'm glad he enjoyed it for the most part. Consensus seems to slam down on the lack of checkpoints and save options, which is very apparent on the past few pages of this thread. Hopefully it isn't enough to ruin the experience for me.

spannicus

Ive been playing on hard and not once have I been frustrated with the save points. There are enough around to keep you from having to re do the same thing over and over. The map helps alot.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'm glad he enjoyed it for the most part. Consensus seems to slam down on the lack of checkpoints and save options, which is very apparent on the past few pages of this thread. Hopefully it isn't enough to ruin the experience for me.

I've only played the first 3 hours, but so far it seems to be pretty fair. I haven't died multiple times in the same area. I've definitely gotten killed, but each time I've been able to see where I fucked up and correct it on my second attempt.

I'd consider his review very high especially since he plays loads of horror games, indie and the like so i'm sure he knows what he is talking about completely.

Guerrilla

played for a good hour yesterday, haven't even seen the alien yet. Already super pumped to go on playing. The kinect leaning works great and actually adds something worthwhile. Would be great though if you could just lean all the time without pushing the left bumper. Would make it even more immersive.

The look of this game is absolutely stellar, It really really feels like alien. The lighting and environments are not only super pretty but also interesting to look at. So far it's all I could ever hope for, but I'm pretty early in so not really representative yet ;)

Only problem I got right now, is that I only want to play this when it's dark outside. I can't 100% darken my room, so I can still see when it's light outside which takes a big chunk off the fear factor for me with such games. Further I can only play this when my fiance isn't home since she will bother me every couple of minutes, so I have only very little time that would actually allow me to play this :/

I'm thinking about cutting out some card board boxes and completely closing the windows with those, but I already know how that this won't float with my fiance. U have to find an easy to attach/easy to remove solution ;)

Omega

Banned

he didn't say. from watching LIRIK stream, I'm kind of happy I didn't get it.

maybe other people are fine with it but I hate gameplay that is Go Here -> oops, random obstruction, go do this to fix random obstruction -> k now you can go there.

also wow what a shit ending.

this ending is a
a fucking disappointment
p93bKVP.gif

Mask

Holy shit, the Alien is an asshole in the Crew Expendable DLC!

I've been killed about 6 times while
luring the Alien into the Primary Vent System.
I've got like two directions I can go from the start, either left or forward, but the alien always automatically knows where I am, the Flamethrower doesn't repel him in the vents, and he's too fast to outrun.

I've got like two directions I can go from the start, either left or forward, but the alien always automatically knows where I am, the Flamethrower doesn't repel him in the vents, and he's too fast to outrun.

Yeah I had to take a break from that one it was so hard. I think the xeno is a lot less aggressive in Last Survivor, though I did that after I figured out how to use the tracker in single player, so I just spammed that a bunch in LS and that seems to keep the alien at bay as long as you follow its position around with whatever direction its facing in relation to your position. Or maybe it's all random and I got lucky lol.

Zeliard

I don't know why people keep calling it a checkpoint system. There are save stations which you can generally trigger when you want to. The game isn't deciding when to save or not; you are. Use your map to backtrack to them if need be.

I feel like the save points are sprinkled pretty liberally around the maps.

Daigoro

does the Last Survivor DLC come with all versions of the game (if pre-ordered)?

i thought Crew Expendable was the only DLC that came with the game. gotta get that OP finished!

I absolutely hated the save system when I first started, but once I got out of the mentality that it would save for me, I have been fine. Just make note of the save stations and use the map if you forget and the frustration will go down considerably.

JJD

So I played the game for 15 minutes before going to bed (have work early tomorrow), and I gotta say...I hope there are no more cutscenes in the game besides the opening one. Everything felt choppy, animation seemed wrong...it was very strange.

Thankfully as soon as I woke from cryosleep and the game began properly my fears were put to rest and everything seemed amazing! I'm so happy about this game! I'm glad I pre ordered to support the devs, I hope it sells well.

Can anyone answer (without spoiling anything) if there are more cutscenes like the opening in the game? I really hope not.

SZips

I don't know why people keep calling it a checkpoint system. There are save stations which you can generally trigger when you want to. The game isn't deciding when to save or not; you are. Use your map to backtrack to them if need be.

I am well aware of how the save system works (or in this case, does not work) in this game. I said it would be better if it wasn't for the lack of a checkpoint system, which is a system that we both agree doesn't actually exist in this game. Implementing only a manual save system is, to put it bluntly, a shitty idea. It doesn't impact the scares or the tension of the game, it only serves to annoy the player when or if they are killed because they have to then re-do the progress between their last manual save and where they died. If anything, it dulls the tension because you are more often than not just going to rush or move faster to recover that lost progress.

It's really just a waste of time, made even worse if you happen to miss a save point.

I've only played the first 3 hours, but so far it seems to be pretty fair. I haven't died multiple times in the same area. I've definitely gotten killed, but each time I've been able to see where I fucked up and correct it on my second attempt.

What's weird is that people are often saying they die with most of their deaths being very cheap ones that happen often. It's definitely good to see people experience it otherwise in this thread.

I'd consider his review very high especially since he plays loads of horror games, indie and the like so i'm sure he knows what he is talking about completely.

Awesome! I'll definitely pick this up later today, then.

So far I've only played the very beginning (no Xenomorph so far) and I'm feeling the tension. Only gripe so far is that the PC version lacks any AA and 95% of the lighting is baked in. I'm playing maxed out of course.

EDIT: Oh shit my bad, I didn't know I could scroll down the options. There's an AA option that was disabled.

I'm in the beginning too and I'd say that much less than 95% of the lighting is baked. I've noticed several dynamic shadows. Almost all the lights *seem* to be real lights (even if the objects can't be moved to test this theory). Also the shaders are fantastic! I don't think any game can touch their skin shader on the main characters. It looks so good.

I didn't use the vents until you needed to - the flamethrower kept the alien at bay for most of the scenario. It wasn't until the last part that I died like 10 times.
Oh and it is possible to repel him in the vents!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Played about an hour in when you get the hacking tool near the elevator then my interest dropped off significantly.

I love the entire Alien franchise and have played every game based on it but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting into this.

Could it be because I'm going into it knowing the whole "You can't hurt it, just run and hide!" gimmick?

Which is why I didn't get it. I know I'm not going to enjoy hiding and crawling around on all fours for 20 hours.

Mask

I didn't use the vents until you needed to - the flamethrower kept the alien at bay for most of the scenario. It wasn't until the last part that I died like 10 times.
Oh and it is possible to repel him in the vents!

Wait, really? Every time I've blasted him with it, he just ignores it and instakills me instead. How?

komplanen

I'm in the beginning too and I'd say that much less than 95% of the lighting is baked. I've noticed several dynamic shadows. Almost all the lights *seem* to be real lights (even if the objects can't be moved to test this theory). Also the shaders are fantastic! I don't think any game can touch their skin shader on the main characters. It looks so good.

All the environmental lights (on walls, ceilings etc.) don't cast shadows when the player or NPC walks past them. I haven't seen a single one yet. I double checked my graphics are maxed out but maybe I'm missing something.

On another note I'm starting to see why this game got some of those low scores. First proper encounter with a scavenging group was a shit show. Also this is one of those games where you kill four people carrying revolvers and get to loot only ammo. Thank god I found a revolver a little later.

...Ugh, that's really unfortunate to hear. I suppose I'll cross that path when I get there then.

I should clarify, that was hypothetical, a worst case scenario, Batman prep-time. I don't even have the game yet but I usually don't have much of a problem with trial&error/repeting segments over and over... if they are fun.

But if worse comes to worst, it would be nice to know about another option!

Well, they are checkpoints. Physical checkpoints the player have to use to save. A bit different of what usually "checkpoints" are in video games, but I can see why some used the term.

Top Bottom