• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Wait, really? Every time I've blasted him with it, he just ignores it and instakills me instead. How?
You probably did it when he was too close. If you get him from far enough he'll back off. I was able to do it twice in the part where you must go into the vents.

Zeliard

I am well aware of how the save system works (or in this case, does not work) in this game. I said it would be better if it wasn't for the lack of a checkpoint system, which is a system that we both agree doesn't actually exist in this game. Implementing only a manual save system is, to put it bluntly, a shitty idea. It doesn't impact the scares or the tension of the game, it only serves to annoy the player when or if they are killed because they have to then re-do the progress between their last manual save and where they died. If anything, it dulls the tension because you are more often than not just going to rush or move faster to recover that lost progress.

It's really just a waste of time, made even worse if you happen to miss a save point.

I can't agree. A traditional checkpoint system in this sort of game would likely only create more distanced save points than what you can already get for yourself with the manual save station system given how completing objectives works, so I can't see how that would really help much. Explore the maps thoroughly, find the various map updates strewn about the levels, and you'll see that save stations are fairly abundant and placed at opportune locations.

With the way level design is laid out, you have the opportunity to backtrack to various save stations as you complete objectives. The only real limit is the minor amount of time that needs to pass before you can save at the same point consecutively, which is ultimately pretty trivial. And the fact that there is a short time limit there means the developers clearly acknowledge that the player would, or should, use the same save point more than once.

I've been playing on Hard and I think the system works just as it should. There is purposefully some agency left to the player as to when it may be a good idea to backtrack and save the game, which can sometimes be risky depending on the particular environment, or keep trying to progress forward. It creates an interesting risk/reward dynamic that you wouldn't otherwise get with a checkpoint or quick save system (the latter of which I'm generally a proponent of).

This game gets much more manageable after
Ripley gets the flamethrower. It stops feeling like another Amnesia clone and finds a better rhythm- tense periods of trying to guess where the alien is in the vents while moving through the level followed by brief moments of action as you push the alien back. It's both scarier and easier!
I'm enjoying it again.

frontovik

Banned
The game is fantastic .. it's definitely faithful to the atmosphere of Alien. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at the part where you
have to find the dead doctor's ID tag. The Alien is stalking me and I'm having difficulty outmaneuvering it :(

The only thing that disappoints me about that game is that it's just not that scary. Experienced the first real encounter with the Alien and although I was a bit tense at first, it quickly dissipated.

Zomba13

Finished both Crew Expendable and Last Survivor. They were pretty great. I got messed up a bunch at the start of Crew Expendable due to learning the ropes and getting frustrated that I felt the checkpoint was too far away. Eventually got used to it and made it through and apart from a glitch right at the end of Crew Expendable (literally at the last button) making me repeat that last section and trying to get it right again they are great.
It'd be cool if there was a mode or option to just tour the Nostromo without the constant threat of attack but I guess between the both DLCs you see the whole ship anyway.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
What's weird is that people are often saying they die with most of their deaths being very cheap ones that happen often. It's definitely good to see people experience it otherwise in this thread.

I mean, I can see how someone might consider their deaths cheap. I just don't think I've had a death that I didn't deserve yet. I've died twice to humans and twice to the xeno. All of them were mistakes I didn't repeat. I'll list them below. Spoilers up to chapter 3, which is about 2-3 hours in.

My first death was really dumb. I distracted some guards by turning off a generator, then carelessly walked in front of a window of the room they were in. They shot me while I tried hiding.

For my second death, I was shot while using the rewire after picking up the security thingamabob. Next time, I used the vents in the area to get a different rewire and snuck past the enemies.

The first time the xeno killed me was on the tram. I ran past the button that would make it depart, then turned around to make sure I wasn't being followed. He ran in the tram and grabbed me. Next time I hit the button as soon as I could.

My last death was during the first real hide-and-seek section. I heard the xeno killing some humans directly ahead of me. I didn't follow the audio cues and wound up staring right at him. I fumbled with a smoke bomb and he murdered me. After that, I opted to take the long way to my next objective, completely avoiding him.

Daigoro

i cant believe they got the whole cast back for the DLC! i thought a few weren't doing it, but i was just looking it up and it looks like they are all there.

awesome.

does the Last Survivor DLC come with all versions of the game (if pre-ordered)?

i thought Crew Expendable was the only DLC that came with the game. gotta get that OP finished!

aaaaaaaaannnyone?

Lettuce

My God the framerate during the cutscenes on PS4 are horrible.

Yeah I first noticed this on the 360 version and just put it down to the ageing system but the XB1 version has the exact same issues, it's very weird isn't its sort of jerky like and just looks bad I wonder what the reason behind it is.

Has anyone else noticed that the lip sync is way out too??

JJD

i cant believe they got the whole cast back for the DLC! i thought a few weren't doing it, but i was just looking it up and it looks like they are all there.

awesome.

aaaaaaaaannnyone?

I'm not sure but I believe The Last Survivor is a pre order bonus from certain retailers (like gamestop US and game UK).

If you pre order the game directly from Steam, PSN or Live you will only get the Crew Expendable DLC, but if you pre ordered from one of those retailers you will get both.

CA said that they will make both DLCs available later (at a price).

Yeah I first noticed this on the 360 version and just put it done to the ageing system but the XB1 version has the exact same issues, it's very weird isn't its sort of jerky like and just look bad I wonder what the reSon behind it is.

Has anyone else noticed that the lip sync is way out too??

It's out of sync for me too. The opening cutscene is so horrible that I'm hoping it will be the only cutscene in the whole game. Hopefully everything else will be done in the game, in engine.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Complete opposite to everything else I have read on GAF :p

I'm kinda curious to know what type of settings people are playing in. I got my living room as dark as possible and threw on some beyerdynamic cans while I was playing and it definitely got my heart rate up.

derFeef

I'm kinda curious to know what type of settings people are playing in. I got my living room as dark as possible and threw on some beyerdynamic cans while I was playing and it definitely got my heart rate up.

Will do the same. I am scared of the thought already.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Will do the same. I am scared of the thought already.

It's the only way to play horror games. A good pair of headphones really amps up the fear.

I could understand someone not finding Isolation that scary, though. I feel like I could play it for quite a while and not have to take a break due to stress, whereas I played Silent Hill 3 for an hour last night and had to stop because I got too freaked out. I was making sure the footsteps I was hearing were in the game and not actually in my apartment. While I was turned away from my computer, a woman's scream blared in my headphones. Couldn't even deal with that. Ran to a save station and quit.

Daigoro

I'm not sure but I believe The Last Survivor is a pre order bonus from certain retailers (like gamestop US and game UK).

If you pre order the game directly from Steam, PSN or Live you will only get the Crew Expendable DLC, but if you pre ordered from one of those retailers you will get both.

CA said that they will make both DLCs available later (at a price).

thanks for answering. this is confusing. i looked on Amazon and Gamestop and there seems to be no info about pre-order bonus DLC at all for some crazy reason (Crew Expendable either). OP is no help. doing a google search gives some pretty vague info. the wesite itself wasnt any help.

wtf? i pre ordered the disc, so i guess ill find out soon enough, but its just odd how vague all of the info is about it.

Zomba13

awesome.

aaaaaaaaannnyone?

I have no clue. I read somewhere that Last Survivor is only at certain retailers. I pre-ordered from Steam and got both of them.

Atmosphere and sound, these are the words guys.
Can't say much more about the game so far.

And I'm definitely curious to see the "trial and error" issue that a lot of people talk about.

Lime

The current savepoint system as it is right now is exactly what this game requires. An ordinary checkpoint system that automatically saves everything for you would go against the horror elements and loss of progress that such an experience requires.

With this system, you have to consult your map to find a savepoint and you have to make sure that any threats aren't present when saving. It's so good when you look to your sides while you're waiting for the save to go through. It provides some very nice tension and I seriously can't see why so many people don't see the point of the system.

I guess people have gotten too comfortable with their video game doing everything for them, like checkpoints and constant automatic saving.

Complete opposite to everything else I have read on GAF :p

I dunno why, usually I'm pretty easy to scare or whatever, but for some reason I couldn't feel this. I was pretty apathetic when the Alien was around for some reason. And I played this in ideal conditions, late at night, lights out, sound all the way up, but something about it just isn't getting me to that point.

Lime

fuck I didn't have time to get to a locker so I hid in the corner of the room when the Alien came:
ai2014-10-0702-41-07-mhcht.png

Unfortunately it didn't work out:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, the Xeno can actually get you on the first
tram?

The music freaked me out and I hid, but I didn't realise he was actually around. Shiiiiit.

I haven't actually played the main game yet. I want to complete the Nostromo dlc first.

Word of warning, it doesn't seem like the DLC lets you save. So you have to finish each one in a single sitting.

They seem fairly short anyways though, so it's not a huge loss.

Crisis over people, I finally got 1 of my 2 Alien Isolation Steam Keys.

Must be just pushing out to people over time I guess. Still waiting on 1 key.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF SWEATY BALLS SACKS...

25GB.

WOW...just...WOW

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I guess people have gotten too comfortable with their video game doing everything for them, like checkpoints and constant automatic saving.
I think coming right off of Silent Hill 3 prepared me for it. Feels natural.
Wait, the Xeno can actually get you on the first
tram?
Yes. I got snatched real fast.

25GB.

WOW...just...WOW

Compared to other recent releases, I was happy it was so low.

Guy's I'm a serious pussy when it comes to this sort of shit, I just jumped during gameplay when the Alien came out of the vent and my missus just sat there like nothing happened.

This game may take me 5 years to finish, that's if I don't totally bitch out about it.

derFeef

Crisis over people, I finally got 1 of my 2 Alien Isolation Steam Keys.

Must be just pushing out to people over time I guess. Still waiting on 1 key.

25GB.

WOW...just...WOW

Guy's I'm a serious pussy when it comes to this sort of shit, I just jumped during gameplay when the Alien came out of the vent and my missus just sat there like nothing happened.

This game may take me 5 years to finish, that's if I don't totally bitch out about it.

You are downloading fast, lol

bidguy

Banned
The only thing that disappoints me about that game is that it's just not that scary. Experienced the first real encounter with the Alien and although I was a bit tense at first, it quickly dissipated.

youre desensitized thats all. i have the same problem. played this at night and only jumped once
when the bald guy is running through a dark area and knocks something off

atmosphere is amazing though

Faith

Me too. I've never finished Dead Space for example :(

I hope I can play this game more than 2 hours.

AlienKebab

Neo Member
People are complaining that it's not scary? What?
Do you guys have a good speaker system or pair of headphones? Rocking my Sennheiser 598 with an amp, just the sound alone makes me freak out.

Lime

People are complaining that it's not scary? What?
Do you guys have a good speaker system or pair of headphones? Rocking my Sennheiser 598 with an amp, just the sound alone makes me freak out.

The sound design is so good. It's such a joy to listen to and lose yourself in.

komplanen

I'm someone that gets easily scared in games (I could play only 10-20 minutes of Doom 3 at a time) and this game is doing me in lol. I have to take breaks every now and then. I bet like with Doom 3 I will eventually grow out of this and just blast through the final parts of the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Still in intro territory. I like it so far, but they went the wrong fucking direction with the narrative already, in my opinion. The entire thing should be first person, greater emphasis on logs, less cheaply animated plastic people, and worst of all the Xeno first properly introduced via
a pre-rendered cutscene
. I get they want to tell a story but so far it's really not very interesting and the cutscenes are jarring when the game thrives from immersing you in a first person perspective.

komplanen

Still in intro territory. I like it so far, but they went the wrong fucking direction with the narrative already, in my opinion. The entire thing should be first person, greater emphasis on logs, less cheaply animated plastic people, and worst of all the Xeno first properly introduced via
a pre-rendered cutscene
. I get they want to tell a story but so far it's really not very interesting and the cutscenes are jarring when the game thrives from immersing you in a first person perspective.

I'm barely out of intro territory myself (just got the motion tracker) and I agree 100%. This game needed to be fully in-control FPS (think Half-Life 2) in cutscenes and most importantly the game needed to be more procedural and less scripted.

Slight spoiler about early encounter with humans:
There's a scene when you first meet a scavenger and she shoots at you and runs away. Then you proceed to pick up her broken hacking device and you hear the woman come back with reinforcements. But if you don't pick up that device they don't come back until you do. Also that initial encounter is scripted in via an audio greeting reacting to you and is thus unavoidable

Also it's obvious to me that the criticism about the Xenomorph being "chained" to the player are already obvious even though I've only properly met him in that same large room with the scavengers. The Xenomorph just kep stalking that area and popping out of different air ducts and would have done that as long as I waited.

Still the game is giving me the fucking chills lol. I'm so stupid for being so scared. It's 90% about the amazing sound design.

Lime

a pre-rendered cutscene

I disagree about the switch between first person gameplay and third person cutscenes. It provides contextualization to who you are playing as and it gives more "embodied weight" to the gameplay section, so to speak. Being a camera on a train with some voice-over can be quite unengaging and take me out of the world.

The introduction of the Xeno was okay in the sense that
you didn't get a chance to actually see it, only its tail spiking through the guy
, which I thought was a great thing to do to introduce it. So it could actually be argued that the proper introduction is only when
it folds out of the air duct while you're playing
and not
the pre-rendered cutscene

Finally, I don't really like too much of storytelling through logs. It's lazy and cheap and it ruins the experience that somehow so many people were recording or writing down their experiences for narrative exposition. I much, much prefer that they use the technique sparingly like they do in this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The only people who've ever done first-person camera to third-person camera right are the Riddick/Wolfenstein guys.

The lip-syncing is so weird in this game. It's not Alan Wake facial animation bad, but it's similarly dissonant.

EDIT: is hitting guys from behind ever a feasible option? Already stuck on the first real stealth room.

komplanen

EDIT: is hittont guys from behind ever a feasible option? Already stuck on the first real stealth room.

I was stuck there for several deaths. Here's what I did to avoid further dying:

- Go in and after the woman shoots at you and runs away, don't pick up the hacking device. Once you pick it up it'll trigger the gang to return.
- Check your surroundings and pick any items. Get an idea of the area.
- pick up the hacking device, run upstairs (I went left, they come from right)
- Sneak up on people from behind
- Hit twice with wrench
- *repeat*

Moff

I was stuck there for several deaths. Here's what I did to avoid further dying:

- Go in and after the woman shoots at you and runs away, don't pick up the hacking device. Once you pick it up it'll trigger the gang to return.
- Check your surroundings and pick any items. Get an idea of the area.
- pick up the hacking device, run upstairs (I went left, they come from right)
- Sneak up on people from behind
- Hit twice with wrench
- *repeat*

I just avoided them, killed 1 guy in the proces but I feel this game doesnt want to be played like a usual stealth game like lets say thief or deus ex, where it encourages you to dispatch everyone on the room and store them all in lockers or restrooms.

instead I think the game wants you to feel the need to just get aways and be safe, not to be aggressive. and as somone who really likes stealth games and usually loves to play the way I descrideb above, Aliens is a really interesting change of pace. the only thing I hopeis that its not as trial&error heavy as it seems. that would be bad.

madmackem

Anyone in the uk got this yet, have you tried to use your nostromo code yet? Mine won't work says already used or not available. Wonder if the dlc hasn't went up on store yet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first room in the Last of Us on survivor mode all over again. I'm never getting passed it. :p

FUN FACT: I how tall this game makes you feel. Hip-eyes is so overdone.

Coflash

I just got my copy!

ebgamespromo.jpg

Cool, the artbook looks just like the picture! Who needs that hardcover when you have this flimsy looking thing that comes in absolutely nothing but shrink wrap???

ebgamesactualitem.jpg

And the collectors case? Nice!

case01.jpg

case02.jpg

Thanks EB Games! You never fail to disappoint!

Top Bottom