• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Miguel81

Tonight I will test out "Full Dynamic Range" audio via my HT system. Should be a glorious experience. F.E.A.R. was the last game that really nailed the spooky surround sound for me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. Turns out running out of the room when they come back and saving *actually made the game much harder*. I've gone back a save and being able to start from upstairs makes the room much more forgiving.

Confusing signals.

The synthetics are creepier than the fucking Alien.

3D3D302FEE36CA7B1AB25E786D75D11BE3DFFE85

Coflash

Wow I would return that game back to where it came just for the case being so bent. Also that artbook lmao

Yeah, art 'book'. It looks and feels like a damn pamphlet. $40 extra for this?

It's because they send most things in a 1-size-fits-all cardboard thing that doesn't have enough room to hold it, so it strains/bends/breaks/dents

packaging.jpg

They don't care either, nothing changes. I think this is the 9th/10th/11th time, I really can't recall how many I've had to get replaced. It's a shame that EB are the only game store here, there's no real competition.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, art 'book'. It looks and feels like a damn pamphlet. $40 extra for this?

It's because they send most things in a 1-size-fits-all cardboard thing that doesn't have enough room to hold it

packaging.jpg

They don't care either, nothing changes. I think this is the 9th/10th/11th time, I really can't recall how many I've had to get replaced. It's a shame that EB are the only game store here, there's no real competition.
JB Hifi?

Coflash

JB (or anyone else) don't stock nearly as many CEs as EB do. Plus I never have time to go to the stores. It's a shame that GAME went out of business.

TheTurboFD

Is anyone downsampling in this game? I've been trying to set my resolution to 1440p in game but it just won't go higher than 1080p :/

Faith

So, where should I play the game?

On my 50" Panasonic TV with 5.1 system with the Xbox360 controller or on my 29" 21:9 LG monitor with either my Adam A7X monitors or headphones with mouse/keyboard?

Ricker

Going to head out and try and rent this for the PS4 this morning...getting harder and harder to rent games, only a few places left that do rental up here and they dont have many copies....they just had one copy of Mordor last week.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I *adore* the weird little mini-games they make you play and in real-time while you unlock doors or save. I haven't met the Xeno yet, but the tension it builds is out of control. The security console thing is neat, but even the simple button presses to open a door with the jack is so satisfying for some reason.

Well it's offical now, this game makes me want to poo my pants. I'll play this tomorrow in the middle of the day with the windows open sun shining, and the TV going.

I walked into a room and the atmosphere just made me say "nope"

I lasted 5 minutes. I won't give up though...

Like I did with Amnesia

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is the DLC codes not working for anyone else?
PS4 UK

Game looks amazing and is a huge labour of love , but not sure I can handle stalking for 20 hours, something I rarely say is I kind of wish this was Shorter .

Maybe offer something more then just padding to extend its length (no idea what though). I absolutely love that it's based on the originals and not a typical shooter, but i don't see myself crawling through ducts for 20 hrs .

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Try again tomorrow when the PSN store is updated. I'm assuming the DLC isn't uploaded yet.
I got the Last Survivor, just the Crew Expendable that not working, can't really play the last bit beforehand and I did wanted to play the Alien DLC before diving in to Isolation, I'll just pretend it's a flashback lol

shuri

Banned
Crisis over people, I finally got 1 of my 2 Alien Isolation Steam Keys.

Must be just pushing out to people over time I guess. Still waiting on 1 key.

EDIT: HOLY MOTHER OF SWEATY BALLS SACKS...

25GB.

WOW...just...WOW

This post is shown to having been made at 6:01AM in my timezone according to GAF while you were still downloading the game.

Guy's I'm a serious pussy when it comes to this sort of shit, I just jumped during gameplay when the Alien came out of the vent and my missus just sat there like nothing happened.

This game may take me 5 years to finish, that's if I don't totally bitch out about it.
This post was made 10 minutes later, at 6:14AM

The first encounter with the Alien is at least 30 minutes into gameplay if you skip fmvs.

PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS MYSTERY.

As for the game, I gotta say it's getting better. The environments are very repetitive but they look EXTRA-Good. The gore effects are cool, the 'puzzles' are not too annoying so far. The voice acting is great BUT I do feel like the main character is a bit getting a bit too intense with the overacting in some parts. There's some part where she sounded like she was freaking out but nothing really tense was happening on screen. The way the Alien walks during that one attack scene is REALLY WEIRD, I'm not sure why but it really feels like it was animated by other people.. It didst fit with the action at all. it was a strange scene.

I hope it's a short title because It does feel like it could become repetitive..

The Cowboy

Loving the game, the atmosphere is fantastic and the sound design it truly stunning - certainly a game to play late at night and in complete darkness.

Anyone know how to disable the UI elements? (on PC) , this is my only issue with it - for such an atmospheric game, having a health bar and an aiming dot really isn't nice.
-
Also, I'm gutted they didn't put the mic detection in the PC version if you have a mic plugged in like the console versions (sounds picked up by your mic are heard in game),

Hagi

Sweet Jeebus this game! The art direction and sound design is just bananas. I haven't even "met" the alien and I'm shitting myself. Going through the access vents is fucking tense, I'm constantly in a state of no bueno.

Question for early in the game
I need to find a data cell to repair the tuner, do I have to kill the crazy couple? Can't seem to find it by looking around.

Wow. That EB Collector's Edition is atrociously packaged/bent.

Sorry you got hosed like that. Hopefully they'll exchange it for you.

I don't buy Collector's Editions, because the stuff that's in them is not only usually uninteresting, but cheaply made. It looks good in Photoshopped advertising photos, but not in person.

XaosWolf

Why does Ripley almost die when holding her breath?

At first i was wondering where I kept losing my health, and then it turns out the hold your breath thing isn't a game mechanic so much as a self harm technique.

Nemesis_

At first i was wondering where I kept losing my health, and then it turns out the hold your breath thing isn't a game mechanic so much as a self harm technique.

Can you hold your breath outside of the part when you're in a locker and trying not to get killed by the Alien?

Hagi

People die when they are killed.

Dave_6

I need to get a good set of headphones for my PC. The sound design is too good in this game to be using a crappy 2.1 setup!

bitoriginal

My response to the first half hour has been lukewarm. Environments are gorgeous and it's oozing creepy sci-fi atmosphere, which is amazing. However, the stuttering during cutscenes kinda ruins the immersion, and the animation when an npc speaks is so dull and lifeless it's almost laughable. Still, I'm looking forward to the ride.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What didn't he like about the last part of the game?

I'm about 4 hours in now and it's "okay" but really nothing exceptional. It's also not scary, more, I guess the right word would be "annoying" thanks to the lack of a checkpoint system. The only reason I'm "afraid" of being caught by anything is because I know everything I'm going to have to re-do as a result.

I guess no game is scary to you, then?

rashbeep

Banned
My response to the first half hour has been lukewarm. Environments are gorgeous and it's oozing creepy sci-fi atmosphere, which is amazing. However, the stuttering during cutscenes kinda ruins the immersion, and the animation when an npc speaks is so dull and lifeless it's almost laughable. Still, I'm looking forward to the ride.

Yea the animations on the human NPCs are quite terrible, which is pretty jarring since the rest of the game looks fantastic. Anyways I still haven't seen the Alien yet, and the game is already making me tense. The sound design, is second to none.

Top Bottom