• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I've been on such a blackout on this game (not on purpose) but I had no idea it had guns/weapons :eek:

I thought it was more of an Outlast type game without any sort of weapons. How's the PS4 version hold up, might have to.....buy.....

So, where should I play the game?

On my 50" Panasonic TV with 5.1 system with the Xbox360 controller or on my 29" 21:9 LG monitor with either my Adam A7X monitors or headphones with mouse/keyboard?

Definitely the latter (with headphones). It's also a lot better with keyboard and mouse.

Grisby

I can't dl crew expendable either. Guess it's not up yet.

Still can't decide whether to start on normal or hard. Decisions!

So Im have some issues with one part (pre alien)

Where you have to get the coms and you get to the huge room, the woman shoots at you and runs. Then when you pick up the device by the door her and her buddies come looking.

They always kill me.
Anyone have any tips?

Truant

Where you have to get the coms and you get to the huge room, the woman shoots at you and runs. Then when you pick up the device by the door her and her buddies come looking.

They always kill me.
Anyone have any tips?

The new TLoU challenge room.

The enemies won't spawn until you pick up the device, so just hang around and loot/explore a bit first. I just ran up the stairs to the right, then snuck my way into the white lit room, waited for the guard to walk down with his back to me. After that I darted out the door and headed down the stairway.

They always kill me.
Anyone have any tips?

The enemies won't spawn until you pick up the device, so just hang around and loot/explore a bit first. I just ran up the stairs to the right, then snuck my way into the white lit room, waited for the guard to walk down with his back to me. After that I darted out the door and headed down the stairway.

Yeah, you can also use the rewire system and create a distraction with the speaker system. Just go the same route as described above, and access the nearest rewire system, and then go for the door.

ruxtpin

Banned
So I try not to be a review snob, but one of the reviews I read made it sound like the game kills you off pretty routinely with no rhyme-or-reason. So even if you're playing stealthy and trying to stay alert, you're still going to die. Is this a valid complaint for the game? I got the game pre-ordered and can pick up later, but not sure if I have the patience to get killed multiple times and not know what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Loving lean mechanic on Kinect. At first I suspected gimmick but twenty minutes in, lights off, surround sound on and I pooped.

DukeBobby

So I try not to be a review snob, but one of the reviews I read made it sound like the game kills you off pretty routinely with no rhyme-or-reason. So even if you're playing stealthy and trying to stay alert, you're still going to die. Is this a valid complaint for the game? I got the game pre-ordered and can pick up later, but not sure if I have the patience to get killed multiple times and not know what the hell I'm doing wrong.

I've only had a few encounters with the alien, but it has yet to kill me. Sure, it tends to gravitate towards your location, but so far the AI hasn't been unfair in any way.

This might all change later on, though.

Krejlooc

Banned

It's not so much that the game is very rigid with only one correct path to follow and if you deviate slightly you die, it's the opposite in fact. It's that there is a degree of entropy to the AI, so that sometimes it'll be so random that there is nothing you can possibly do to survive. There are some static obstacles, but the game's main selling point, the alien, is very random.

not-plot related spoiler:

I saw one review where a guy spent 20 minutes navigating a field of enemies very slowly. When he got to the other side, he thought he was free until the alien, by random luck, appeared directly in front of him, killing him. He had to start over.

The enemies he spent 20 minutes on weren't random, so, since he had already figured out the best path on his last time through, he was able to blaze through that section in less than a minute. This time, however, the alien didn't spawn on the other side of the room and he was free to pass without problem.

My copy is ready for pickup!
carlton-1.gif

Loving lean mechanic on Kinect. At first I suspected gimmick but twenty minutes in, lights off, surround sound on and I pooped.

ooh thats great news.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I've been playing for 4 hours so far and I think there are too many save points (reviews said there wasn't enough) some people put the blame on other things for their failures instead of taking the responsibility, I think this is the same kinda thing.

Krakn3Dfx

I've been playing for 4 hours so far and I think there are too many save points (reviews said there wasn't enough) some people put the blame on other things for their failures instead of taking the responsibility, I think this is the same kinda thing.

I think when they talk about saving, they're talking about automatic checkpoints, of which there are none, you have to manually save each time. I think once you know that tho, it should cease to be an issue, I'm pretty anal when it comes to saving at every chance I get tho, sometime to my own detriment, lol.

shiba5

I've been in a locker for 10 minutes.

Help.

It's getting crowded in here.

This is a game I keep having to work myself up to play. I love it, but, at the same time, I kinda hate playing it.
The sound design is just top notch. The slightest noise makes me bolt for a locker.

Grisby

Only got to play a bit but they nailed the graphics.

It's been said but they got the look of the film down pat. What an achievement.

Dead

well not really...yet

Fuuuuuu

I died like 10 times at this part last night and gave up

So I've discovered that there's basically no reason to change the sound away from full dynamic range. Don't do it. It sucks and makes it hard to judge how far away from you the things making noises are.

Daigoro

i it looks like i did get the Last Survivor dlc for preordering from Gamestop. it came on the reciept as a code, and the Crew Expendable DLC came inside the box itself.

where do you actually access the Last Survivor DLC from though? i put the code in online, but nothing downloaded.

is it supposed to be on the same menu page as Crew Expendable? because im not seeing it? or is it in survivor mode?

under Play Game i have: Alien: Isolation, Crew Expendable, and Survivor Mode. am i supposed to have Last Survivor there as well?

Razorback

i it looks like i did get the Last Survivor dlc for preordering from Gamestop. it came on the reciept as a code, and the Crew Expendable DLC came inside the box itself.

where do you actually access the Last Survivor DLC from though? i put the code in online, but nothing downloaded.

is it supposed to be on the same menu page as Crew Expendable? because im not seeing it? or is it in survivor mode?

under Play Game i have: Alien: Isolation, Crew Expendable, and Survivor Mode. am i supposed to have Last Survivor there as well?

Yep, that's where it is on mine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Still in intro territory. I like it so far, but they went the wrong fucking direction with the narrative already, in my opinion. The entire thing should be first person, greater emphasis on logs, less cheaply animated plastic people, and worst of all the Xeno first properly introduced via
a pre-rendered cutscene
. I get they want to tell a story but so far it's really not very interesting and the cutscenes are jarring when the game thrives from immersing you in a first person perspective.

This would also have helped them immensely with the (hopefully inevitable) oculus rift port.

Mohonky

Playing on PC here. Was luke warm about this one, still not sure whether its a keeper or not but seeing the hype in this thread and the 80's scifi throwback I had to check it out.

Visually its pretty ace, my gtx670 is managing everything at ultra (suspect anything on oc, my gpu will be bottleneck considering the rest I changed like the processor is an i7 4770k and 16gb ram after mobo died). Only annoying thing is the aliasing, particularly because everything else around the place is so sharp and full of clean lines, it does make any aliasing stand out a bit more.

Brilliant atmosphere. No Alien encounters yet, just ran into my first npc and saved it and going to bed. Looking forward to playing some more.

Seanspeed

Banned
Well after receiving my PlayStation Gold headset in the office today I had to go and do this...
I really like how you obviously got in your car(a sports car, by the looks of the seats and color tone) and carefully sat the video game box down in an upright position because you were so excited and proud that you felt it deserved a photo-op.

As a fellow gamer who completely understands the thought process that took place, I say:

Only played the first hour or so last night (I like to play horror games in the dark with headphones), and I haven't even encountered a threat yet, let alone the alien, but I'm delighted someone finally made a AAA Amnesia game.

Pre Alien Isolation hype got me in to Alien & Predator movies marathon and here is my list

1-Aliens (One of the best movies of all time)
2-Predator (You cannot go wrong with the cast)
3-Alien (Birth of Survival Horror)
4-Alien vs Predator (Blade's mother rocks and cheered for the Predators)
5-Predator 2 (Much better Predator designs than the first one)
6-Predators (It should have been much better)
7-Alien: Resurrection (Christie's Assassins Creed style double pistols)
8-Alien 3 (The first time I've watched it)
9-AVP Requiem (It was bad at cinema and even worse on Blu-Ray as it is all dark)

I've been on such a blackout on this game (not on purpose) but I had no idea it had guns/weapons :eek:

I thought it was more of an Outlast type game without any sort of weapons. How's the PS4 version hold up, might have to.....buy.....

PS4 sounds to be just fine outside of some weird framerate drops in the cutscenes. Tracker noise comes out of the controller. Then again I'm not much of a visual nitpicker to say what exactly holds up or doesn't in that regard.

Just to curb your expectations a bit, the weapons aren't much of a game changer. You're still extremely limited in what combat there is and the Alien is still invulnerable and generally noticed=death.

I've been watching a few twich streams and I can safely say this is the Alien game I've been waiting for. I was a big big fan of ZombiU and I like that I'm seeing many of those same elements in Isolation. I would get it on the PS3 but I'm going to black friday a PS4 so I can get a better experience. This game is my wet dream.

Don't have a next gen system. PS3 version good enough?
I'd like to know this as well. I'd hate to wait. If the PS3 version is pretty close I may just get that.

Both the DLCs work on PC. It's actually all I got to play last night.

Had a bloody great time playing them too. They aren't long or anything, but diving into Crew Expendable without so much as looking at the button mappings made for a terrifying and great time.

I played as Dallas, and I was crawling through the airvents and Lambert was telling me which way to go... and it suddenly dawned on me that THIS moment is when Dallas dies in the canon.

So freaking scary.

I really like how you obviously got in your car(a sports car, by the looks of the seats and color tone) and carefully sat the video game box down in an upright position because you were so excited and proud that you felt it deserved a photo-op.

As a fellow gamer who completely understands the thought process that took place, I say:

Ahaha, you've got me all figured out! It is indeed a sports car, it's an Audi S4 :)

136034d1364024142-calling-you-out-internet-fist-bump.jpg

Top Bottom