• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Grisby

15513088522_8965eb91ed_o.gif
It heard the sounds of your fat beats bro.

strafer

So how long can you actually keep the motion tracker up before he hears you?

I try and just fast equip it and then take it down before anything beeps

CuteSpaceGoblin

Neo Member
Good thing we got rid of manuals!

http://alienisolation.com/manual for the manuals. Useful for what controller buttons do what. I had no idea how to attack with the wrench before this.

Agreed on the lack of handholding, showing you the various effects of rewiring etc. Most of it is reasonably easily inferred: lights on/off gives you more shadows, activate doors, activate vents, disable cameras etc.

Working Joes are best evaded wherever possible as they're a pain to take down. And thats just 1 on 1. Any more of them at once and you've no chance. Distraction works far better.

About to head out of Medical here. This game is working as well as the first time I saw the film, i.e. coasting on neat, acute anxiety. Seriously good job CA if you're reading this.

duck_sauce

I give up on this game. There are passages where the alien is omnipresent. I cant sneak 10 seconds without it showing up behind me.

I love the mechanics of this game, but this is infuriating

shiba5

It looks like the alien can in fact teleport sometimes. I was hiding in a locker from him and he was sniffing me out. He gave up and left the room so I stopped holding my breath. I was giving Ripley a few seconds to catch her breath when it all of a sudden rips open the locker and kills me. It literally just popped in front of me.

He can get pretty sneaky. I had him go to the side of the locker and crouch down so I couldn't see him anymore. I thought he was gone.
Reload current save.

Astral

He can get pretty sneaky. I had him go to the side of the locker and crouch down so I couldn't see him anymore. I thought he was gone.
Reload current save.

It wasn't him being sneaky though. He literally just popped in front of me the same way a tree in the distance pops in in an open world game with lots of pop-in.

Thriller

I give up on this game. There are passages where the alien is omnipresent. I cant sneak 10 seconds without it showing up behind me.

I love the mechanics of this game, but this is infuriating

Common man don't hate! do something else for a second. Throw a flare down the hall and get the fuck out of there!

You can do this :D

Scoot2005

Banned
Anybody playing with headphones notice a cat noise lol? I restarted it on hard yesterday and I swear to fucking god I heard a pissed off cat noise towards the beginning of the station.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I really dont like this save system. It is terrible.
I think it would have been better if it was more like RE4. Have a checkpoint system so when you die you restart at the checkpoint, but for a permanent save you have to reach the save point. Having to repeat such large sections gets real annoying.

ViviOggi

Anybody playing with headphones notice a cat noise lol? I restarted it on hard yesterday and I swear to fucking god I heard a pissed off cat noise towards the beginning of the station.
Yup, heard it too and went looking for the cat but there was nothing there.

MattyG

Banned
Yup, I definitely heard it at one point towards the beginning of the game.

Reedirect

Chapter 14. The game is getting quite easy now. Now that I think about it, chapter 5 was still probably the biggest challenge in the game for me.

It wasn't him being sneaky though. He literally just popped in front of me the same way a tree in the distance pops in in an open world game with lots of pop-in.

This is atrocious. It's a pity there's no gif as evidence but what you say is true definitely changes this whole rubberband AI perspective.

ElTopo

Banned
I think we're going to get some DLC that expands on her ending a bit.

Two ways this could go. She's picked up somehow by a scavenger ship or somehow climbs into part of the Torrens, and has to survive the Alien or Weyland Yutani. And she either escapes and goes into hiding or dies and Weyland Yutani covers it up and shows Ripley a doctored photo.

Also, this seems to be carrying the same themes as the original trilogy in that every time you think Ripley has won and she'll get her happy ending, an Alien is always there and robs her of happiness.

Yup, there is a cat noise and as your approach where it is there's some hissing and then it suddenly stops. So the cat was probably eaten.

Danielsan

I'm about 7 hours in (though you can probably easily cut an hour from that due to lost progress). The game has some problems but it sure as shit is good at getting my heart rate up.

Astral

This is atrocious. It's a pity there's no gif as evidence but what you say is true definitely changes this whole rubberband AI perspective.

Yeah my mistake for not capturing it. It doesn't sour my experience of the game that much because I had just saved, but if I hadn't, I'd probably have been really pissed. It felt like the game was trying to give me a jump scare. Instead, it just left me confused and disappointed.

S1kkZ

(spoilers rom the last third, do NOT read them unless you finished the game)

in mission
14 now. DONT READ FURTHER, MAJOR SPOILERS

SPOILS:
dont know if i want to continue. loved the game so far but i dont think i can deal with multiple, unscripted aliens in a single room. i this is what i have to deal with until the end, i quit here. still loved the hell out of the game.

DukeBobby

I am starting to turn on this game.

Missions 12 and 13 are some of the most tedious, annoying bullshit I've played in awhile.

It's a good thing the preceding 11 missions were fun as shit (and the game as a whole is so dead-on with the atmospherics)

but this is rapidly becoming dull as fuck.

I liked 12, but 13 is my least favourite mission in the game so far.

I ended up just running through it.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I have finished the main story after Thirteen hours and I will have to say that this is my personal game of the year. The sound and presentation of this game is masterful, one of the best done in gaming history and they deserve the praise and awards for this.

I really don't get why IGN reviewed this so low though. This game is a 9/10 for me.

Dunkelgrau

Unbenannt.jpg

Before facing the first enemies in the game there is this computer - what does this thing do?

And have you GAFers already realised that the enemies are beaming to you're position when you make a mistake (being to loud or something). Pretty annoying.

played up to chapter 13 so far... this is the first game in a long time that ive gotten and been on a mission to keep playing as i cant get enough

dunno if its just me but id love to see a sevastapol marketing type video, of the station up and running at full capacity prior to the xeno arriving. you hear me CA? :D

]blacky[;134007074 said:
Unbenannt.jpg

Before facing the first enemies in the game there is this computer - what does this thing do?

And have you GAFers already realised that the enemies are beaming to you're position when you make a mistake (being to loud or something). Pretty annoying.

fuse boxes

you can reroute power to different parts of the level ex air purification, doors, etc..

Jetman

Hmmm, I'm on PS4 as well and the only problems I've experienced during gameplay is occasionally I don't hear the sound for a door or vent opening. Aside from that (and the cut scenes) I'm very happy with it.

Yeah, it happened behind that first big Sevastopol model in a main lobby and in the first area where you come to a maintenance jack on the door. There'd be a human just standing in one spot in the dark, not making any noise, kind of freaked me out at first so I snuck up to him. And then he just disappeared. :/ And then one of the doors where you first see the Torrens and are trying to get their attention- blinked transparent a bunch, to where I could see through it, run up to it, and of course it's still there because I haven't turned the power on ( I backed away from it and it reappeared) - why the fuck is only my game doing this, lol. I heard there were some programming errors on Hard mode- could this be why?

Looks like the Alien is demoralising some people.

It's a shame. For what it's worth, I'm playing on normal and I've never had a single 'bullshit' death. The Alien doesn't pop up 'out of nowhere', the worst that happens is you don't pick it up on the motion tracker because it's remaining still somewhere momentarily and then suddenly moves. It doesn't randomly appear at all, you are always given some form of warning. If you miss the cue, which at times can be very slight yes, then you might be screwed, but even at a certain point in the game (gameplay spoilers)
when you get the flamethrower, you always have that as a reprieve in case there is a moment when you just don't have time to escape.

I had one hilarious death where I was about to walk through a door that slams shut the second you step inside, but the Alien got me as I was standing in the door frame. I had to redo a maybe 10 minute long section there, but to me that feels like the peak of this sudden death system. I was running for the door cos I thought I could squeeze in there just in time and the game is just like nope, idiot! I just burst out laughing. I knew the Alien was around, I was just stretching my luck.

Also for all the people complaining about the save system, I think it makes the game. I've never attempted to save when enemies are a few feet away from me, and I've never had any problems saving. You also are supposed to listen out for that beep of the save terminals like a beacon of hope. Do that and focus your progress on save terminals, then objective markers, and you won't ever lose much progress at all. Personally I'm pretty bored of games which just checkpoint you every 30 seconds so nothing really ever has stakes and your progress is constantly being updated so that you never get that feeling of marking it off. Saving in this game is a substantial gameplay element! I understand not wanting to replay any sections at all if that isn't the way you like to play games, but I wish people wouldn't knock it as 'terrible' when actually it does what it's trying to do perfectly.

I'm obviously a fan of the game defending it, but I'm disappointed that a lot of the complaints seem to stem from misunderstanding of the mechanics, or people just not appreciating what the game sets out to do. It's all in service of increasing tension, which is a particular kind of goal that is different from what a lot of games set out to do. I just wish people were more open-minded and not so quick to blame deaths on 'ugh this is fucking random/broken' and so on. The game gives you just enough information through mostly audio and a few visual cues that you don't ever have to be blindsided, although it does ask you give the game your full attention in order to pick up on those.

Yeah, I've been collecting a handful of glitches as I go.

music will randomly just kick on immediately after a save - I've gone in an elevator and had the mission parameter change to a completely different mission's objective - killed a Seegson security guard, saved, came back, and the character model was gone, but his holstered gun was just hovering in the air over where he should have been.

edit: Alex reminded me about the hands-on-fire glitch, got that one too. Made the flashlight redundant for as long as that lasted.

Part of the reason I think I was having such a problem with Mission 12 is that doors were not triggering the events they needed to trigger, so I'd just end up running around to different save points/reloading save points and trying them again.

Dunkelgrau

The Alien doesn't pop up 'out of nowhere', the worst that happens is you don't pick it up on the motion tracker because it's remaining still somewhere momentarily and then suddenly moves.

As I mentioned above even normal enemies are popping out of nowhere. Never faced the Alien, though.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
You know, in many ways this game feels like a game that was designed around the early 2000s than around what most modern AAA games try to do these days (although it seems that this is starting to fade out) and I really love it for it. I think the save system is perfect and helps make the game on keeping you on your toes and worrying because you actually have to make a lot of effort to keep alive than being hand guided. It's awesome.

Squishy3

]blacky[;134009135 said:
As I mentioned above even normal enemies are popping out of nowhere. Never faced the Alien, though.
Yeah, sometimes things popping out of nowhere gets ridiculous. I had a situation where I was running from an android and popped into a locker with nothing in sight and an android materializes in front of the locker a second after I got in it and pulls me out.

ElTopo

Banned
Only really significant glitch I experienced was at the very end, I caught on fire, and tried to put it out and my hands were always on fire after that.
I was in the very last act of the game and just wanted to finish it. It made aiming and killing the facehuggers much harder.

Astral

Yeah, sometimes things popping out of nowhere gets ridiculous. I had a situation where I was running from an android and popped into a locker with nothing in sight and an android materializes in front of the locker a second after I got in it and pulls me out.

This is what happened with me with the alien. He walked away and left the room and a few seconds after I stopped holding my breath it ripped open the locker. It didn't come out of a vent or anything and there was only one entrance to the room, which I was looking directly at.

I think we're going to get some DLC that expands on her ending a bit.

Two ways this could go. She's picked up somehow by a scavenger ship or somehow climbs into part of the Torrens, and has to survive the Alien or Weyland Yutani. And she either escapes and goes into hiding or dies and Weyland Yutani covers it up and shows Ripley a doctored photo.

Also, this seems to be carrying the same themes as the original trilogy in that every time you think Ripley has won and she'll get her happy ending, an Alien is always there and robs her of happiness.

I would love to play more main story content rather than the challenge maps CA will release.

Grisby

Last Survivor was ok. Doesn't take that long to beat although I got a little tired of Ripley continuing to talk to herself. Sigourney's VA was ok although Lambert's was off, but hey, it's still cool that they got the original actors to do the voices.

Top Bottom