• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Fuck man, when you put it like this, the Alien franchise really feels/is formulaic, no lies detected...

...and this is why I liked Prometheus, the setting, lore etc felt "fresh" at the time, shame then that Ridley managed to fuck it up in such a spectacular fashion, shit, just the fact with the exposition bit that Jesus Christ was an actual Engineer "product" was completely left out of the final cut during the Engineer/David/Weyland dialogue (amongst other interesting bits) tells you everything you need to know about Ridley not giving a fuck, that, and all the other idiotic bits to point of being almost comedic (Helmets off while exploring an alien installation on a remote planet, the "scientists" acting like 10 year olds, Rapace's AMAZING side-strafing while the alien spaceship comes crashing down on her etc etc)...
Also, what about half of Covenant's plot/beats/scenes which get shown only - wait for it - during YouTube promo material ? What about the amazing scenes that were written but never actually made it into the final movie ? You know, scenes that actually made sense and explained/explored the lore better ? (Arrival on Engineer planet, David's relationship with Shawn, how she put him back together, the grim experiments he performed on her, the fact that he actually felt like he fell in love with her etc etc).

FUCK man, there was SO much potential with both Prometheus and Covenant and yet, we got the explosive diarrhea(s) that Ridley delivered us.

I love the Alien franchise guys but, same as the Silent hill games, I'm just tired of getting disappointed, this trailer did nothing for me, yes, I know that I'm gonna watch it having 0 expectations.and it will still leave me disappointed.

It's basically Stockholm syndrome at this point.

It's interesting when there's so many great stories in the Alien comics especially the Alien Vs Predator. Dark Horse Alien comics were fantastic. And there was that one videogame that people loved where you had to sneak past the alien. I just find it funny how most of the movies suck

I hope the show is good

Last edited:

freefornow

"I'll just casually stand here while shining a torch on my back so you can see the thing that is hammering on the inside of my chest! FFS!!
This alone has one upped Covenent in retardedness!

Calling it now. When watched with captions, the "Andy" character is 100% the Android. Andy the Android!

Also, frenchkissing a facehugger.

Last edited:

Hugare

Looks freaking great, honestly

Its simply impossible to please everyone. I've been seeing people on this thread saying that it looks derivative. But if they've changed literally anything about the original aesthetic, some fanboy would complain.

The opinion that really boggles my mind was calling it "boring". This person probably havent seen horror movies lately. They are all "artsy" and "it's about the psychological aspect, bro", with zero action and gore. "Late Night with the Devil", for example. THAT movie was boring. And so many other recent horror movies.

Not saying this will be a masterpiece, but this director has already proved himself with his past movies. He knows how to make some fun horror.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I like what I am seeing overall. Some of the designs of the tech, like the ships and other stuff, are dodgy and don't feel like they jibe completely with the era between the the first and second films, but they're serviceable.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why does it have to be such a young cast? I want a movie with testosterone filled, god damned sexual Tyrannosauruses going against xenomorphs.
Yeah, is Games Workshop running around making threats that anything with Space Marines vs aliens in a derelict ship is infringing on Space Hulk or something? I feel like the most logical and surefire Aliens plot is just sitting right there but no one will touch it.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I'm going to have a “grumpy old man yells at clouds” moment by saying how much I dislike modern casting, when I see these ‘modern actors’ in such a well-established and once-revered franchise. They lack the charisma, screen presence, stature of the actors from the past. Ugh.

Aside from that major gripe, I’m really impressed with the visuals, special effects, and colour grading/aesthetics.

Doom85

I'm going to have a “grumpy old man yells at clouds” moment by saying how much I dislike modern casting, when I see these ‘modern actors’ in such a well-established and once-revered franchise. They lack the charisma, screen presence, stature of the actors from the past. Ugh.

LOL, these guys in only 2 minutes stand out more than like 90% of the cast of Alien 3. Aside from the doctor and the preacher, everyone else in terms of the new characters just blended with one another. Which made it such a bad decision to have that attempted rape scene, because the prisoners all blended together, I only could care if Ripley, the doctor, and preacher made it out alive as everyone else could have presumably been a rapist since they all weren’t distinct from one another so I didn’t know who to detest or not. Didn’t help the audio mixing was bad so plenty of times I couldn’t hear shit in terms of their dialogue without subtitles.

Like, Alien 4 might be dumber, but I’ll give it this, I remember far more of the characters in that one.

But really, only Aliens I would praise for its entire cast in both casting and writing. Alien has a good cast all around but a good deal of them are pretty one note (I hope when those two guys go to heaven, they get that bonus they wouldn’t stop asking about, LOL). Alien 4 had some good cast members….but it was also Alien 4. Prometheus had half its characters be fucking morons while the other half were decent/good (primarily Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Noomi Rapace) and then Alien Covenant saw Prometheus’ number of characters making bad decisions and said, “hold my beer”. Michael Fassbender carried Covenant hard (not enough to make it good, but still), his two characters were the only ones on point.

But this cast seems fine. I know the main actress Cailee Spaeny from Bad Times at the El Royale (a film more people should see), she was good in that. Isabela Merced is great. Don’t know the others, but this is a franchise that began with an at-the-time unknown actress playing the lead character, so it would be ironic to judge someone until I see their performance.

Alvarez is king of bland horror. No depth, no themes, rehashed settings, cannon fodder characters, but still somewhat entertaining.

EDIT: Oh Jesus, just went through the trailer again in slow-mo to see the quick cuts. It looks like the early plot leaks are true. Not good.

Last edited:

T8SC

The atmosphere & set design seems to be ok but I'm not too sure about the actors. But then, people said that about Heath Ledger before the Dark Knight released, so let's wait & see how it turns out upon release.

It won't top Alien or Aliens, thats a given. But will it better the other movies....

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
LOL, these guys in only 2 minutes stand out more than like 90% of the cast of Alien 3. Aside from the doctor and the preacher, everyone else in terms of the new characters just blended with one another. Which made it such a bad decision to have that attempted rape scene, because the prisoners all blended together, I only could care if Ripley, the doctor, and preacher made it out alive as everyone else could have presumably been a rapist since they all weren’t distinct from one another so I didn’t know who to detest or not. Didn’t help the audio mixing was bad so plenty of times I couldn’t hear shit in terms of their dialogue without subtitles.

Like, Alien 4 might be dumber, but I’ll give it this, I remember far more of the characters in that one.

But really, only Aliens I would praise for its entire cast in both casting and writing. Alien has a good cast all around but a good deal of them are pretty one note (I hope when those two guys go to heaven, they get that bonus they wouldn’t stop asking about, LOL). Alien 4 had some good cast members….but it was also Alien 4. Prometheus had half its characters be fucking morons while the other half were decent/good (primarily Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Noomi Rapace) and then Alien Covenant saw Prometheus’ number of characters making bad decisions and said, “hold my beer”. Michael Fassbender carried Covenant hard (not enough to make it good, but still), his two characters were the only ones on point.

But this cast seems fine. I know the main actress Cailee Spaeny from Bad Times at the El Royale (a film more people should see), she was good in that. Isabela Merced is great. Don’t know the others, but this is a franchise that began with an at-the-time unknown actress playing the lead character, so it would be ironic to judge someone until I see their performance.

There are only two Alien movies.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Yet I am the asshole for not running off to watch this kind of shit in the theaters. Fuck, aliens and cowboys would be more fun. What is the point? It looks the same as ones that are already out.

The more of these things that get made, the more they die at the box office, the faster the studio system collapses. Which is great.

The collapse in the 60s led to the creativity of the 70s. I’m hoping for something similar once the likes of Warner Bros are proper fucked.

Dr.Morris79

They should call this one Aliens: school trip.
You got that feeling too? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I thought that, then thought maybe I'm just old. Watched it again and no, it really does give off a Twilight Aliens feeling

It doesn't help that no actor today looks gruff in any way..

These kids look like they've just left university

Look at the crew of Alien~

49pQJXW.jpeg

They wasn't even that old and they look like they've lived a life and fit the roles perfect, natural looking in that situation. Great casting.

Look at the crew of Aliens~

8nsb6Sc.jpeg

Ripley looks out of place, as she was, she didnt even want to go. The Marines? Looking like badass motherfuckers with sharp sticks, they look Marinish.. you wouldn't fuck with em. Great casting

This Aliens crew?

ilQVDQr.jpeg

VcSBZ6N.jpeg

iusWma2.jpeg

winjer

Gold Member
You got that feeling too? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I thought that, then thought maybe I'm just old. Watched it again and no, it really does give off a Twilight Aliens feeling

It doesn't help that no actor today looks gruff in any way..

These kids look like they've just left university

Look at the crew of Alien~

49pQJXW.jpeg

They wasn't even that old and they look like they've lived a life and fit the roles perfect, natural looking in that situation. Great casting.

Look at the crew of Aliens~

8nsb6Sc.jpeg

Ripley looks out of place, as she was, she didnt even want to go. The Marines? Looking like badass motherfuckers with sharp sticks, they look Marinish.. you wouldn't fuck with em. Great casting

This Aliens crew?

ilQVDQr.jpeg

VcSBZ6N.jpeg

iusWma2.jpeg

With all characters being just very young adults, it also limits the type of characters we can have.
We no longer can have the wise old man/women character. Or the gruff military veteran. The experienced engineer that always finds a solution. The experience leader. Etc.

All we can have is young, inexperienced kids, running from aliens. Basically, just a teenager slasher movie in space.

Salz01

The set pieces and atmosphere are top notch, the actors seem d tier. It’s so jarring. They should have included a more generational diverse cast.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Weird way to tell us you did not have a good time at the cinema since 1991 !

Saw Alien Resurrection with my family and had fun, the audience liked it too. Then we got the ps1 game afterwards which was awesome and fookin scary. Its my least fav of the original 4 movies, but definitely a fun 90s theatre experience.

AVP1 was fun in the theatre too. Its a bad movie with CGI that aged like milk but the audience reaction was palpable when you saw them fight for the first time. Was still novel, came out sort of around the time of those Freddy vs Jason flicks if I recall.

Predator 2018 is the only truly horrible time I had, saw it with my dad. It takes a real hack of a director to make me wish for a movie to end when it stars cutie pie Olivia Munm. Like how do you fuck that up so badly.

Looks like a rehash from all the previous movies. Spaceship and alien aboard the spaceship...

I rather want to watch a movie with the creators from that other alien movie that I forgot the name about.

Toots

Gold Member
Saw Alien Resurrection with my family and had fun, the audience liked it too. Then we got the ps1 game afterwards which was awesome and fookin scary. Its my least fav of the original 4 movies, but definitely a fun 90s theatre experience.

AVP1 was fun in the theatre too. Its a bad movie with CGI that aged like milk but the audience reaction was palpable when you saw them fight for the first time. Was still novel, came out sort of around the time of those Freddy vs Jason flicks if I recall.

Predator 2018 is the only truly horrible time I had, saw it with my dad. It takes a real hack of a director to make me wish for a movie to end when it stars cutie pie Olivia Munm. Like how do you fuck that up so badly.
uMpirYF.gif

good men will always beat a troll, because they are genuine.

I loved Resurrection much more than 3 myself, maybe because im familiar with Jeunet art direction which was kind of a hit or miss unfortunately when coupled with the Alien franchise (Much more of a hit if you were already familiar with it i think).

Hope you'll enjoy a lot more movies in theaters, good and bad, with your loved ones :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Doom85

With all characters being just very young adults, it also limits the type of characters we can have.
We no longer can have the wise old man/women character. Or the gruff military veteran. The experienced engineer that always finds a solution. The experience leader. Etc.

All we can have is young, inexperienced kids, running from aliens. Basically, just a teenager slasher movie in space.

I really don’t see an issue here. Good suspense/horror should not give a shit how old the characters are. I’m not watching Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre going, “man, this would be scary, but there’s no 40 year old or 70 year old being terrorized, so I can’t get scared by this.” Like, if we removed Margot Kidder from Black Christmas, is the film not scary anymore?

Also, how were the prior films that diverse in types of characters‘ jobs? Everyone in the first movie worked in the same crew. Everyone in the second movie were Marines save Ripley and the one Company guy. The third movie had all the new characters be a part of the nonsense prison/church combo. In the fourth movie, practically all the new main characters were mercenaries. Prometheus, they were all scientists. Covenant, they were all dumbasses.

And if we’re talking specifics within those jobs, why are we assuming it won’t be the same in this movie? Unless one generalizes all young people as “the same”, there’s no reason one can’t better at leading people, one be more tactical, one be an asshole who prioritizes their safety to the point of abandoning their friends, etc. Hell, an engineer? Kaylee from Firefly was presumably 20 (the actress’ age) and she was a fucking great mechanic. Nobody had trouble buying that back then and I don’t see why it would be a stretch now.

Ristifer

Visuals look pretty nice, but the cast has all the appeal of a napkin stuck to the bottom of a park bench.

jason10mm

Gold Member
And its Shane Black no less, who up till then had a REALLY GOOD track record as a writer and director, including Predator! He MADE the 80's action scene! What went so horribly wrong with The Predator ought to be its own documentary. Black has ZERO credits since 2018, I think that film just totally sunk him.

Top Bottom