• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Wait, these early xbox releases are from Australia? Is this at EB? Any idea if there was retail PC version available?

Edit: Ok I see the first two questions were addressed in the AusGAF thread but the third one still stands.

koji

So buying the steam version, I'm a bit concerned about the RPG elements though, from what I've seen and read they appear to be pretty shallow, maybe even afterthought...

Nemesis_

Customisation isn't all that intense either. Michael is always going to be a White man with only about four hairstyles to choose from. A few accessories are also available though most of them look pretty stupid (who wears a beanie inside? >_>).

Nemesis556 said:
Also picked it up!

To the other Aussie, which background did you pick? I chose recruit because I am a dirty achievement whore.

For those interested, framerate seems pretty terrible during the actual gameplay. >_> But still, I have hope!

Animations are also hilariously retarded. I do wonder how this got through QA.

Still, I have high hopes as I've said. >_>

I chose Field Agent, might start a new game as recruit once I get the hang of it.

I didn't notice bad frame rate, seems ok to me...

Edgeward said:
Thanks for the impressions! How much does accuracy feels like it's more rolling of the dice? How's the customizing of Michael's appearance?

And one for much later on, do you feel your choices are having a real impact and that the choices simply aren't 1a and 1b but rather really varied with different outcomes?

Shooting is pretty good, haven't shot enough to really notice the dice rolling though.

A bit disappointed by the customization options. I'm not sure if you unlock more, but there are only a few different skin tones, about 4 hair styles, and about 10 beards.

SenorDingDong said:
Wait, these early xbox releases are from Australia? Is this at EB? Any idea if there was retail PC version available?

Edit: Ok I see the first two questions were addressed in the AusGAF thread but the third one still stands.

Not sure if they had the PC version, they had to get my 360 copy from out the back as it had only just arrived.

Back to the game now :D

Nemesis_

The framerate is just so retardedly jumpy during the conversations. It's so distracting.

The weapons system is pretty much Deus Ex. In that it's almost impossible to actually fire at something without first investing the skill points into it. At least, that's what my impression of it is.

Enjoying it and cannot wait till it "opens up" per se. I hope there's side quests too >_>

procrastinator

Neo Member
That PAX video was awesome. Pushed me over to actually preordering the game :lol The devs all seem like they're really hyped for what they've made.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
From what I've seen and been reading here, this looks like a solid new IP. I am expecting ~80 on metacritic.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wonder how this will run on the PC? I've lost a lot of faith in PC ports as of late, so I'm not holding my breath, but I would hope it would be smooth.

garath

I watched almost all of that PAX panel. I want to buy the game just to support work like that. I know it's going to fall short in the graphics department, but dammit, I want games where choices matter. And not the small "matters" like a slightly different ending, I like that there is a big impact that reaches through the entire game because of the choices you make.

The only way we'll continue to see things like that is if publishers feel like it's worth the investment.

So I'll probably buy it on PC unless the PS3 version comes out good. (I haven't even turned the 360 on in almost a year).

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
dark10x said:
Wonder how this will run on the PC? I've lost a lot of faith in PC ports as of late, so I'm not holding my breath, but I would hope it would be smooth.

well it's on UE3 so it better be damn fine on PCs (and this is Obsidian , so I guess PC is the lead version here)

Max

I am not Max
"holy trinity of J.B's; Jason Bourne (Professional), Jack Bauer (Aggressive) and James Bond (Suave)."

Whaaaaaaaaaat.

jakershaker said:
It's pretty much the worst insult ever to people who liked Dungeon Siege. And one of the worst games of all time too.
hehe yeah. it really is. but I still enjoyed space siege. it shouldn't have had the siege title at all, but it was ok fun. and short! I knew what the ending was before I got there but still got annoyed by how bad it was made, did both endings even. awful boss battles also.

oh yeah. can't wait for ap. have had it preordered since like august last year

Nemesis_

garath said:
I watched almost all of that PAX panel. I want to buy the game just to support work like that. I know it's going to fall short in the graphics department, but dammit, I want games where choices matter. And not the small "matters" like a slightly different ending, I like that there is a big impact that reaches through the entire game because of the choices you make.

The only way we'll continue to see things like that is if publishers feel like it's worth the investment.

So I'll probably buy it on PC unless the PS3 version comes out good. (I haven't even turned the 360 on in almost a year).

Yeah, so far the choice system looks like it's really going to have a huge effect on gameplay. The idea that treating someone like shit creates a reputation for yourself, which then makes future characters you meet rather scared or hateful to you for your reputation really interests me. I just hope these choices actually DO resonate throughout the story.

My only real problem is that the game feels as though I should be playing it as a stealth game but the only way I can properly make progress is by going in guns blazing.

Additionally, the enemies have bionic sight and it's near impossible to judge where they're looking, or at least, how far they can see. It almost feels as if they will see you almost ALWAYS if they're doing as little as LOOKING in the same direction as you.

dorkimoe

Ive been curious about this game, but I really want a demo. I want to know how its going to control/feel. It just seems "cheap" looking. Then again I haven't researched it much since it was shown like last year.

garath

Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, so far the choice system looks like it's really going to have a huge effect on gameplay. The idea that treating someone like shit creates a reputation for yourself, which then makes future characters you meet rather scared or hateful to you for your reputation really interests me. I just hope these choices actually DO resonate throughout the story.

My only real problem is that the game feels as though I should be playing it as a stealth game but the only way I can properly make progress is by going in guns blazing.

Additionally, the enemies have bionic sight and it's near impossible to judge where they're looking, or at least, how far they can see. It almost feels as if they will see you almost ALWAYS if they're doing as little as LOOKING in the same direction as you.

Is it just because you haven't been levelled up enough in stealth skills? Or is the stealth system just really broken?

Gyoru said:
This guy has been streaming for the past 2 hours - pretty good quality stream too
http://www.justin.tv/tyndis

Sweet. As much as I'd like to avoid spoilers, I'm enjoying watching him. Haven't seen a mission yet though. Lots of looks at the skill tree.

edit: Oh my.. the tearing... On the bright side, the gameplay looks pretty good. Stealth seems to get better exponentially the higher your skill gets. Watching this dude just go rampaging on people though.

DannyCool

Ok guys,

I have now played this game and had big expectations since it was announced. And my review is plain:

It sucked.

Everything failed, absolutly everything except the dialogue system which works fine. Bad cover system, clunky controls, in-effective shooting mechanic. To say it simple, this is my biggest gaming disapointment ever.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

I have now played this game and had big expectations since it was announced. And my review is plain:

It sucked.

Everything failed, absolutly everything except the dialogue system which works fine. Bad cover system, clunky controls, in-effective shooting mechanic. To say it simple, this is my biggest gaming disapointment ever.

Sounds good.

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

I must say I'm not surprised.

Llyranor said:
That sounds terrible!! How do I cancel my preorder on Steam?!

Yikes, not quite sure you can?

I'm really disappointed, even though since the first dev diary released I knew it wasn't looking good.

syllogism

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

So basically it's like Deus Ex, ordering now

garath

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

Not disagreeing with your impressions but what kind of weapon skill were you working with? Watching the stream I saw the guy try to shoot a pistol and it was terrible. But he had 8 skill in assault rifles and was rocking.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yikes, not quite sure you can?

I rather think he's joking, since pretty much no-one has ever been holding out for AP to deliver a terrific cover system, third-person control finesse and a chunky shooting mechanic.

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

Have you completed the game? Maybe your just bad at the game and dont understand its mechanics? Have you used stealth? Or were you trying to play the game like gears? Sorry your impressions were plain, would like more detail.

bathala

Banned
DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

HYPE +100

D2M15 said:
I rather think he's joking, since pretty much no-one has ever been holding out for AP to deliver a terrific cover system, third-person control finesse and a chunky shooting mechanic.
:lol I know:)

Interfectum

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

Pre-ordered.

JBuccCP

I'm watching this stream a bit, is the invisibility their representation of being sneaky, or is it an actual invisibility suit?

TheVisualizer said:
sheep are swayed so easily by a few fickle words

Well, in his defense the game has always looked questionable. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I am really hoping the PC version isn't some half-assed port. However, I have some lingering hope about it. Hey, at least the main character can have a sweet full beard.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
WTF guys, I was really looking forward to Planescape: Torment, but I just played it for a few hours and...OMG. You can't even die, it's like Prince of Persia 2008 all over again. The combat's terrible, you don't even get any armor for your character and just end up spamming healing items until you win. I could've dealt with all that, but the plot is all in mounds and mounds of text paired with low res 2d graphics. No immersion at all.

Biggest gaming disappointment of all time.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Well, in his defense the game has always looked questionable. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. I am really hoping the PC version isn't some half-assed port. However, I have some lingering hope about it. Hey, at least the main character can have a sweet full beard.

that is true, all I'm saying is don't put a whole lot of stock in a 1 sentence review of an RPG from a junior with a Dipset avatar. Maybe if our friend with the great taste in music could expand on his review I would be more inclined to take him seriously.

garath

EviLore said:
WTF guys, I was really looking forward to Planescape: Torment, but I just played it for a few hours and...OMG. You can't even die, it's like Prince of Persia 2008 all over again. The combat's terrible, you don't even get any armor for your character and just end up spamming healing items until you win. I could've dealt with all that, but the plot is all in mounds and mounds of text paired with low res 2d graphics. No immersion at all.

Biggest gaming disappointment of all time.

:lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Watching that stream, it hit me that I'm seeing screen tearing for the first time in years.

I forgot how horrible it is to behold.

Barakov

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

It sucked.

Day 1.

Top Bottom