• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Tokubetsu said:
The Witcher is around 40 hours minimum. 30 of which are spent in a swamp in Act 2.

Lol yea that Swamp was a killer.

DannyCool said:
Ok guys,

I have now played this game and had big expectations since it was announced. And my review is plain:

It sucked.

Everything failed, absolutly everything except the dialogue system which works fine. Bad cover system, clunky controls, in-effective shooting mechanic. To say it simple, this is my biggest gaming disapointment ever.

So its not a generic Gears of War rip off but more like Deus Ex. Bought, good review.

vocab

Revolution number one said:
So its not a generic Gears of War rip off but more like Deus Ex. Bought, good review.

If Alpha Protocol was like Deus Ex, I would of preordered months ago. This game is gonna bomb.

graywolf323

I think I'm going to wait for reviews before I decide to pre-purchase it on Steam

man I wish this was a Steamworks title, then I could just grab it at GameStop using store credit

stupid Sega >_<

golem

in it to win it

4641332102_7c2ac86f31.jpg

Larsen B

11 hours for one story path.

After seeing all of the whiteboards that Obsidian have had for branching paths, this is not worrying or surprising in any way.

vocab said:
If Alpha Protocol was like Deus Ex, I would of preordered months ago. This game is gonna bomb.

I didn't even know this game was a branching style RPG or made by Obsidian till someone said something on GAF. There's no way the average gamer looks at Alpha Protocol, Espionage RPG and thinks anything other than how generic it seems

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Think am going to wait, the lack of any press on the game is very concerning.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
ElectricBlue187 said:
I didn't even know this game was a branching style RPG or made by Obsidian till someone said something on GAF. There's no way the average gamer looks at Alpha Protocol, Espionage RPG and thinks anything other than how generic it seems

It might not do well, but it could do well just as easily.

What I saw of Demon's Souls looked like a generic "dark" game with floaty controls and everyone is dancing through the streets with joy over it.

See, it can be done for any game really.

Obsidian is a B tier developer, and this thread is half filled with people who are begging for it to fail. The people who follow a review that is clearly bashing the game and ignoring the praise for it.

People go to Obsidian for its writing, not its graphics, and I for one don't doubt they will succeed where I care! :D

bjork

I think this is going to be primarily a word of mouth game, but I also think that the new box art will get more people to check out the box than the original art would have. I don't think it's going to outsell Madden or anything, but it will do ok and be a fun game, which is really the point.

I think I might pick this one up, the more gameplay videos I see the more sucked in I seem to get. :/

Only a couple of days till it releases down here anyway.

mujun

Larsen B said:

After seeing all of the whiteboards that Obsidian have had for branching paths, this is not worrying or surprising in any way.

That's a good point. I forgot about that!

Zenith

Banned
lsslave said:
People go to Obsidian for its writing, not its graphics, and I for one don't doubt they will succeed where I care! :D

I go to a game for good graphics, good writing, good everything. How many people do think even check who developed what game?

Fuck yeah, I'm actually excited to hear this is potentially 11 hours long. I don't know about other gents, but I don't have 20-30 hours to being throwing away for just one playthrough (IE Mass Effect) with the intent of additional playthroughs later on.

I just don't have that time.

Give me more Dead Rising experiences :D

Sloane

Banned
Sinatar said:
The more I hear the console kids whine about this the more excited I get. :lol
True. :lol

bjork said:
I don't think it's going to outsell Madden or anything, but it will do ok and be a fun game, which is really the point.
Is it? I think outselling Madden should be the point, that's AP's competition right there.

Hint:
This isn't the Backbreaker thread.

DannyCool

Outtrigger888 said:
Have you completed the game? Maybe your just bad at the game and dont understand its mechanics? Have you used stealth? Or were you trying to play the game like gears? Sorry your impressions were plain, would like more detail.

No, i have not completed the game. Does the game need to be completed for my claims to be valid? I dont think bad control mechanics and awful shooting changes when you complete the game.

I did not try to play the game like Gears, but according to them you can play the game "how you want to play it". When did they say you have to play it stealth? You get SMGs, Assault Rifles, Snipers you name it. Stealth is just a portion of the game you choose yourself if you wanna do. I did that, and it failed. The guys need 10 shots to die, even though i hit them in their head they still wont die. i used up all my ammo on 1 guy who refused to die after 100 shots in the head. Clearly bugged.

The game dont even got a map, you have to BUY A MAP for each location? And the map is even just in the Menu. No minimap, no waypoint direction for you too see clearly. You have too look around in the location to find the small glaring waypoint, just terrible.

I played the game for 5 hours and nothing of my complains will change even if i complete the game. Thats bullshit.

hitoshi

DannyCool said:
Stealth is just a portion of the game you choose yourself if you wanna do. I did that, and it failed. The guys need 10 shots to die, even though i hit them in their head they still wont die. i used up all my ammo on 1 guy who refused to die after 100 shots in the head. Clearly bugged.

Not to mention the fact that you can't even shoot out any lights - and actually there are not even shadows, lighter / darker areas here.

DannyCool said:
The game dont even got a map, you have to BUY A MAP for each location? And the map is even just in the Menu. No minimap, no waypoint direction for you too see clearly. You have too look around in the location to find the small glaring waypoint, just terrible.

Why would you need a map, considering the fact that all levels are like a straight tunnel with no way whatsoever to pass through even the smallest obstacles? Seriously, you can not go anywhere apart from where you have to: forward.

ArjanN

Sinatar said:
The more I hear the console kids whine about this the more excited I get. :lol

image.php

AgentOtaku said:
Fuck yeah, I'm actually excited to hear this is potentially 11 hours long. I don't know about other gents, but I don't have 20-30 hours to being throwing away for just one playthrough (IE Mass Effect) with the intent of additional playthroughs later on.

I just don't have that time.

Give me more Dead Rising experiences :D

I agree, I'm thinking more along the lines of Vampire Bloodlines and the orginal Fallout where a single playthrough isn't all that long but there's a good amount of optional/branching content.

Most RPGs are really only about that long if you'd eliminate all the grinding.

DannyCool

hitoshi said:
Not to mention the fact that you can't even shoot out any lights - and actually there are not even shadows, lighter / darker areas here.

Why would you need a map, considering the fact that all levels are like a straight tunnel with no way whatsoever to pass through even the smallest obstacles? Seriously, you can not go anywhere apart from where you have to: forward.

A Action game in 2010 personally i expect a good map/waypoint system regardless. But thats my opinion. There is sideplaces in the locations with ammo and stuff which im missing out because i dont believe there is something 100 meters to the left of me when i dont have a map who shows the layout.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
DannyCool said:

:lol Excitement rising!

hitoshi

DannyCool said:
A Action game in 2010 personally i expect a good map/waypoint system regardless. But thats my opinion. There is sideplaces in the locations with ammo and stuff which im missing out because i dont believe there is something 100 meters to the left of me when i dont have a map who shows the layout.

There are only like 2-3 branching areas in each major area, you cant be seriously that lazy not too look around with these conditions :) And ammo is only problematic when there is a huge fight with lots of enemies.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying that your argument is invalid, but you picked the most unimportant problem of the game - you could have chosen from a wiiiide range of things :)

DannyCool

hitoshi said:
There are only like 2-3 branching areas in each major area, you cant be seriously that lazy not too look around with these conditions :) And ammo is only problematic when there is a huge fight with lots of enemies.

Well, since the enemies i fought needed so many shots (See the guy with the armor-pierced head in my 2 last posts) i had too get ammo. And i really hate that system, i seen more then 2-3 branching areas. Tons of small houses and freaking non-linear ways.

As someone who is thoroughly enjoying this game, I feel the need to make a couple of points in its defense...

1) If you've put limited points into a weapon type, it is going to take a quite a few bullets to kill an enemy. Some people might find this terrible, I actually like it the sense of progression it gives. I've put some more points into my assault rifle skill and I now find it much better and easier to kill enemies. Zooming with a scope to precision aim also helps.

2) There is no minimap, but checkpoints are on the screen at all time, and I actually enjoy knowing the general direction and having to find it myself. This means that some times you have to walk around an area a bit to discover stuff, which I prefer. I don't need my hand held.

3) I have only run out of ammo once, and easily found some more through exploration.

Like I've said in my previous impressions, not everyones gonna love this game. But for me the more I play it the more I enjoy it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Larsen B said:

If the game manages to deliver on the branching paths compared to most w-rpgs. 11 hours is actually a good length.

Fallout 1 was like 12-15 hours IIRC.

Edit - BanShunsaku, how are you finding the writing / storytelling so far?

Sloane

Banned
DannyCool said:
Tons of small houses and freaking non-linear ways.
Sounds scary.

And I'm perfectly fine with 11 hours or whatever, I'll probably play it at least two times anyway to see how different it really gets.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sounds like there wasn't much point in Alpha Protocol being a multiplatform release.

Tokubetsu

EviLore said:
Sounds like there wasn't much point in Alpha Protocol being a multiplatform release.

You and Bish always know exactly what to say and when to say it. Does someone write your posts? :lol

JayDubya

Banned
After finally getting a decent-ish gaming rig and taking on Witcher, I bought NWN2 on the strength of its word of mouth. It may be a good game, but I still wouldn't know quite yet.

It has quite possibly the worst patching system I've ever seen. The fact that it hates Windows 7 would be acceptable if there were a simple fix, or a guide on their site, or if that were the only issue. But of course, it ain't.

I would love to have a positive opinion about Obsidian in regards to something; I'll hopefully figure out whatever the fuck is wrong with NWN2 and be able to play MotB... but for me, right now their score card reads 1) Unfinished and 2) Unplayable (despite 6 hours and counting of effort).

At this point, for me, Alpha Protocol would be 1 for 3... here's hoping. Avellone's script will be good, per usual, so my worries are for the sake of the rest of the game... and if I buy it off Steam, here's hoping Sega will have better after-release support for their game if it needs it than Atari or Lucasarts did.

I've been watching some of the streaming video, though, and this looks acceptable / fun so far. Bring on the reviews.

bjork

Sloane said:
Is it? I think outselling Madden should be the point, that's AP's competition right there.

Hint:
This isn't the Backbreaker thread.

Replace Madden with whatever title you want, if that appeases your... whatever that's supposed to be.

garath

DannyCool said:
No, i have not completed the game. Does the game need to be completed for my claims to be valid? I dont think bad control mechanics and awful shooting changes when you complete the game.

I did not try to play the game like Gears, but according to them you can play the game "how you want to play it". When did they say you have to play it stealth? You get SMGs, Assault Rifles, Snipers you name it. Stealth is just a portion of the game you choose yourself if you wanna do. I did that, and it failed. The guys need 10 shots to die, even though i hit them in their head they still wont die. i used up all my ammo on 1 guy who refused to die after 100 shots in the head. Clearly bugged.

I played the game for 5 hours and nothing of my complains will change even if i complete the game. Thats bullshit.

Between your comments and what I watched on the stream, I am getting more excited for the game.

In my mind, it's an RPG first, and action game distant second. What does that mean? That means that character development in your chosen playstyle is going to be very important. Adjusting your equipment will be important. Exploration will be important and/or rewarded.

If you want to run and gun each mission like an action game, then you better be putting all your skill points into your weapon of choice. You should also be hitting that safehouse weapon store and customizing the weapon as much as you can.

Want to play with a little more finesse? Try some stealth, or sabotage. Looks like the game will allow for multiple playstyles.

No minimap? Great. Problems killing enemies with low skill? Works for me.

I watched the guy on the stream pump 8 points into assault rifles. He was tearing up the opponents. It's a character skill based game, not a player skill based game.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy the game but rest assured, your impressions are good and I am glad you shared them.

bjork

DannyCool said:

That may not be so. I tried to start Oblivion twice and got all frustrated and shit, before finally having it click with me on the third try. Then I had a good time with it. Just an example.

Pakkidis

I get the feeling people are expecting a shooter and not a RPG. Its like playing Deus Ex and expecting to get modern warfare combat.

Spookie

I'm already sold on it but I'm a dirty PC gamer who enjoyed Planescape back in the day. But I can see this going *woosh* straight over the heads of the console crowds. :/

I got a call today, my copy of AP came in.
I said:

Me: Hello
Local gameshop: Hi your reserved copy of AP came in today (for the 360) and you can pick it up from now.
Me: Hi, ow did I pre-order it?
Local Gameshop: Yes you did your name and nr is ..... right?
Me: Yes that is correct, when did I pre-order it than.
Local Gameshop: Lets see, about 1.5 years ago.....
Me: Ow and now you have the game in.....
Local Gameshop: Yes, and you can pick it up from today we have it in, are you going to?
Me: Well I do not know There are NO reviews out from places I want to check first and the "buzz on the street" is not so hot on the game right now.
Local Gameshop: Yeah, we just got the game in out of nowhere we did not even knew it was coming this soon..... it just showed up without any add displaces or any info on the game what so ever............
Me: Well I wait just a week for some reviews + info on the game that is ok right?
Local Gameshop: Sure its here when you want it, if not no problem.
Me: Ok thanks have a nice day
Local Gameshop: You two bye
Me: bye

PS: for who are wondering, I have a great "relationship" with my local store I know the people who work there, they do not sell 2nd hand games because they want to keep the marketplace clean.
I respect them, but man that game just came out of nowhere :p

[edit] ow right spelling grammar.... not so good at that today. Sorry about that

Cep

Banned
The Dutch Slayer said:
I got a call today, my copy of AP came in.
I said:

Me: Hello
Local gameshop: Hi your reserved copy of AP came in today (for the 360) and you can pick it up from now.
Me: Hi, ow did I pre-order it?
Local Gameshop: Yes you did your name and nr is ..... right?
Me: Yes that is correct, when did I pre-order it than.
Local Gameshop: Lets see, about 1.5 years ago.....
Me: Ow and now you have the game in.....
Local Gameshop: Yes, and you can pick it up from today we have it in, are you going to?
Me: Well I do not know There are NO reviews out from places I want to check first and the "buzz on the street" is not so hot on the game right now.
Local Gameshop: Yeah, we just got the game in out of nowhere we did not even knew it was coming this soon..... it just showed up without any add displaces or any info on the game what so ever............
Me: Well I wait just a week for some reviews + info on the game that is ok right?
Local Gameshop: Sure its here when you want it, if not no problem.
Me: Ok thanks have a nice day
Local Gameshop: You two by
Me: by

PS: for who are wondering, I have a great "relationship" with my local store I know the people who work there, they do not sell 2nd hand games because they want to keep the marketplace clean.
I respect them, but man that game just came out of nowhere :p

The fuck.

whatevermort said:
So you didn't buy it? Man, this thread is going to eat you alive.
Well not YET, will wait on the giantbomb and some other publications to review it.
I know most people like the game here a lot, but just wanted to share what I noticed today.
May has been for more people on GAF a expensive month and sometimes you have to make choice with games to get, so I'm waiting an AP.

Well + I'm sorry if I offended anyone but not buying a game..... like I said earlier in the topic, game looks great and the RPG ellements of the game look fantastic but the combat and general gameplay look really dated and clunky.

jjasper

So no hand holding and actual RPG mechanics? Awesome. The only thing that bothered me from the stream was the enemies being completely oblivious to what was happing right next to them, but that could be because the guy has raised his stealth stats

Nemesis_

The first "boss" is almost impossible with the Recruit background and on Hard mode.

=(

But yeah, game is picking up once you develop your character a bit more. Kind of alright.

Spookie said:
I'm already sold on it but I'm a dirty PC gamer who enjoyed Planescape back in the day. But I can see this going *woosh* straight over the heads of the console crowds. :/
Yeah I guess if you play games for good gameplay this would be a disapointment. Fucking console crowd eh?

Nemesis_

Just completed my first operation (think the equivalent of a "Planet" in Mass Effect) and the game is starting to be much more appealing. You get the option to choose a specialisation following an Operation as well as a chance to re-spec if you need to.

Specialization favours three skills that can be leveled up to a maximum of 15 ranks, 5 more than the standard unspecialised rank allows.

Commando = Combat
Spy = Infiltration
Engineer = Tech Use

Interesting. Didn't see this coming either.

Hopefully now that I'm out of the first area (which is all I'd seen in media and pre-release impressions) things will start to look up. I love the idea of jetsetting around the world though, kind of wish it was all open and I could travel wherever, whenever though. But meh, enjoying the ride so far, more so than I thought.

It really does seem like your choices affect outcomes throughout the whole game and don't just flick a "switch" for the ending or something shallow like that.

Top Bottom