• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Always Online" hasn't been an issue for me in the last 10 years, why are people still complaining?

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.

Trelane

The issue that I personally have with an always online game is not that it connects to an online service, but that it requires an online service connection to function. Games that are online in nature, such as MMORPGs and online shooter multiplayer games make sense, but when it comes to single player games that do not have an online component except for DRM or an arbitrary reason given by the developer/publisher, it’s an issue. There may be some games that give limited functionally, but still let you play, but games that don’t let you play if you’re not connected (and have no reason to as part of the game design), that is where my issue with it is.

WoJ

I hope to be a hermit and recluse one day, when that day comes I want my games to work offline.

Only kind of kidding.....I grew up in an era where games were complete products when purchased. I still believe buying a game should warrant a complete product and purchase no strings attached. Requiring an internet connection to access or play something is in direct contrast with that.

Bojji

Gamers love to complain about things.

I don't like GaaS... So I don't buy GaaS.

1. I don't want to play online... so I don't play online...

2. People still buy physical games thinking that isn't just a digital license on a disc...

1. Except there are SP games that force connection to servers?

2. You can still sell that disc and Sony can't ban your access to this game (like they can with your account)

YuLY

All these people will have a rude awakening in a few years, The Crew 1 was just the beginning. The Division 1, Outriders, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, all these games will become useless once their servers die.

It is not about your internet, you buffoon, it is about the publishers taking the servers down and never being able to experience the game again since no offline mode/patch.

And a bit of side note, for the people that truly want an evergreen library of games, no not even physical will be enough since disc rot , or launch day games with no patching available through the years etc. etc. The only true real library with real compatibility is ISO of games on your external hard drives for PC gaming. Thats it, everything else is hopes and wishful thinking. There is a reason PC gaming is growing right now, more and more people understand it is the only real no bs platform, with emulation and mods and everything you want.

Last edited:
Ask Concord.
giphy.gif

Trogdor1123

always online isn’t inherently bad. It is bad when it provides no additional value and actively detracts from the experience.

kevboard

go and play the Crew... oh wait, you can't.

go play Concord... oh wait, you can't.

go play Battleborn... oh wait, you can't.

go play Overwatch 1... oh wait, you can't.

shall I go on?
add to that servers crashing, your ISP fucking up, some roadworkers accidently cutting your wire 5 blocks down the road leaving you 3 or more days without stable internet.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
1. Except there are SP games that force connection to servers?

What does this have to do with what I said?

2. You can still sell that disc and Sony can't ban your access to this game (like they can with your account)

LOL, why would my account get banned? Especially since I don't play online games. This also has nothing to do with what I said. I said people buy discs thinking they're something that isn't just a digital license on a disc. There are tons of legitimate reasons to buy discs, but game preservation isn't a strong one.

LOL, why would my account get banned? Especially since I don't play online games. This also has nothing to do with what I said. I said people buy discs thinking they're something that isn't just a digital license on a disc. There are tons of legitimate reasons to buy discs, but game preservation isn't a strong one.
The point is that the studio reserve the right to refund your purchase and remote-delete the game from your Hard Drive. Concord was a bad game, yes, but Sony went and deleted the game off consoles whether you wanted them to or not. All well and good for a bad game, but if it happens to a game you LIKE, you would hate it.

grvg

Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.
There was a game I had to stop playing when I moved into the middle of nowhere, which has been a big life goal of mine for a while. The game would load, but progress wouldn't progress. I spent a while trying to figure out the issue. Ended up dropping the game.

StereoVsn

Funny to see this thread when my ISP has been shitting the bed for the last three days.
Boy am I glad my consoles don't rely on always being online to work.
Yep, all it takes is your local node going down or your router getting borked, and you would appreciate offline a lot more.

Or when you are traveling with a handheld / laptop, or if the devs f something up on their side or get hacked or a bunch of other stuff.

Or when publisher/developer takes servers offline. There are many reasons why always online, especially for SP content sucks. But sure, go and Stan for multibillion (or trillion corpos).

4GJEhwP.jpeg

Bojji

Because "not online gameplay" games can require online connection for some stupid reasons?

Vast majority of PS4 and PS5 discs games have that gold game build on the disc. Games that require online download are in minority.

StereoVsn

All these people will have a rude awakening in a few years, The Crew 1 was just the beginning. The Division 1, Outriders, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, all these games will become useless once their servers die.

It is not about your internet, you buffoon, it is about the publishers taking the servers down and never being able to experience the game again since no offline mode/patch.

And a bit of side note, for the people that truly want an evergreen library of games, no not even physical will be enough since disc rot , or launch day games with no patching available through the years etc. etc. The only true real library with real compatibility is ISO of games on your external hard drives for PC gaming. Thats it, everything else is hopes and wishful thinking. There is a reason PC gaming is growing right now, more and more people understand it is the only real no bs platform, with emulation and mods and everything you want.
And this is why I love GoG especially or even Steam DRM games (since Steam DRM is easy to hack).

Sojiro

Lol I like how the OP uses their fridge being online as an example, as if WiFi on appliances isn't one of the most fucking retarded things we have now.

I don't mind that there are games that only function online, fuck I have played quite a few in my time, but there is always the inherent risk that they can get yanked and that's that, the shit is gone.

nikos

Yeah, it's ridiculous at this point. I got broadband internet in 1998 or so but I realize not everybody games under the same conditions.

Still, I don't join communities constantly complaining about something they have that I don't. Gamers act so entitled.

nikos

Why do people defend corporations that engage in practices (like always online) that are only detrimental to consumers?

These practices aren't "only detrimental" to consumers though. Some of us actually like playing online. It often makes or breaks games for me. I don't want to be alone in an open world. Even just seeing other players makes the experience so much better.

People complaining so much is detrimental to the advancement of technology and robs those of us living in 2024 of new features/experiences.

ToneyJ

These practices aren't "only detrimental" to consumers though. Some of us actually like playing online. It often makes or breaks games for me. I don't want to be alone in an open world. Even just seeing other players makes the experience so much better.

People complaining so much is detrimental to the advancement of technology and robs those of us living in 2024 of new features/experiences.
I'm pretty sure OP is talking about single player games that force you to be online no matter what, even if you don't want to be.

nikos

I'm pretty sure OP is talking about single player games that force you to be online no matter what, even if you don't want to be.

Yeah, I guess there's not much reason for that unless there are "connected features."

People have been asking for a Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown offline patch and the game just launched. Granted there are some server issues, as usual, but once they iron those out a game like that is way better being always online. Most of its features wouldn't exit if it were offline.

Hoddi

It was only this summer that I couldn't use one of my Xboxes because it wasn't my 'primary' console.

Poverty also doesn't affect me so it's clearly not a worldwide issue.

Sojiro

And if that's the case get the fuck out of here OP. That shit is completely inexcusable.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The point is that the studio reserve the right to refund your purchase and remote-delete the game from your Hard Drive. Concord was a bad game, yes, but Sony went and deleted the game off consoles whether you wanted them to or not. All well and good for a bad game, but if it happens to a game you LIKE, you would hate it.

What game that you like that this happened to?

In before you google all games that have been delisted and pick the best one.

Ban this shit in Single Player games. The R* lanucher and 2k launcher, Ubi launcher are all egregious, unnecessary barriers just to start the game. Can't I just activate the login in the game menu when I connect to the online modes?? If your internet is not stable l, like where I'm staying, you essentially cut off launching the game. That's INSANE!

Last edited:
If for some reason you game can't connect, and it doesn't have to be an issue with your connection, when Outriders launched i couldn't play for a few days as the server was hammered, but more importantly what's stoping the devs ending support one day and then the game is gone. I'll be honest i didn't encountered many issues with online but still it's not a good thing imo.

Generic

The issue that I personally have with an always online game is not that it connects to an online service, but that it requires an online service connection to function. Games that are online in nature, such as MMORPGs and online shooter multiplayer games make sense, but when it comes to single player games that do not have an online component except for DRM or an arbitrary reason given by the developer/publisher, it’s an issue. There may be some games that give limited functionally, but still let you play, but games that don’t let you play if you’re not connected (and have no reason to as part of the game design), that is where my issue with it is.
The vast majority (if not all) of always-online games are multiplayer or have an online component.

AmuroChan

What I don't like is in single player games that are always online, when I put the game in safe mode and come back later, I'll get some error that says I've been disconnected from the internet and then certain features won't work unless I reload the save. Drives me nuts. The game should just know to reconnect online automatically when I come back instead of forcing me to exit out and reload my save.

Top Bottom