• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Always Online" hasn't been an issue for me in the last 10 years, why are people still complaining?

GHound

Ah yes, always online single player games.
How greatly we as the customer have benefited from the revolutionary new ideas this concept has brought us. Indeed, we should be grateful that they let us have a product to give them money for at all.

Last edited:

grvg

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm done with trying to explain consumers loss of rights to people.
If people like the OP don't get it by now, I don't think they ever will.
Just let this shitshow reach its inevitable conclusion, and watch these morons start moaning when the reality comes and slaps them in the face.
aka just watch the world burn.

OP, if you really want to understand, I'll just refer you to Louis Rossmanns YouTube channel. Get yourself an education.
I love Luis Rossmans channel.

Unknown?

Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.
I said the same about $700. It hasn't been a problem for me in decades. /snob

nkarafo

The fact that you think 10 years is enough long time to believe it will "never" be a problem shows how shortsighted you are regarding lasting rights and ownership.
OP's opinion makes me guess he is still young. Younger people tend to do that, consume a game or a movie and go to the next big new thing without ever thinking about the older stuff.

But he will grow. Nostalgia hits harder the older you get. When he won't be able to experience his favorite childhood games anymore because he won't have access to them, he will learn.

Sorry, I could not respond earlier, my internet was down
Or, he could be just a troll.

Last edited:

BlackTron

OP's opinion makes me guess he is still young. Younger people tend to do that, consume a game or a movie and go to the next big new thing without ever thinking about the older stuff.

But he will grow. Nostalgia hits harder the older you get. When he won't be able to experience his favorite childhood games anymore because he won't have access to them, he will learn.

Yeah, another aspect of this is that young people think tomorrow won't come for an eternity anyway.

What does this have to do with what I said?

LOL, why would my account get banned? Especially since I don't play online games. This also has nothing to do with what I said. I said people buy discs thinking they're something that isn't just a digital license on a disc. There are tons of legitimate reasons to buy discs, but game preservation isn't a strong one.

You could say something people don't like on Social Media and you could get your account banned, Sony or Xbox under pressure could say, no Mibu no ookami we don't want you on our network anymore, then say bye to your games.

digdug2

'Always on' is literally just DRM and another way for these corporations to control what you play and how you play. You might not have an issue with this now, but you will once they shut down all of the servers required for 'always on'. If Xbox Live dies, you have a large paperweight, and the same applies to PSN and Nintendo Online. If you have any digital games, they die with their respective online services. This is a big problem, because at the rate we're going (look at the PS5 Pro with no disc drive), these companies are trying hard to push an all-digital future.

BlackTron

At the end of the day my Xbox is dependent on a bevy of factors well outside of my control, in a series of electrical signals spanning an infrastructure of hundreds/thousands of miles working together with maintained servers, or it's helpless.

All my SNES needs is power. It's not a "probably won't happen", it's just a won't happen. All the control over the item is yours, that's the point. It's your responsibility to keep, sell, protect, lose, or play the game at any time, not someone else's. No OS updates or anything either, never worry about having the wrong update for the wrong game. Even Switch is not that good, but I give it credit for doing what it can to keep the principle alive.

It’s the principle of it, it’s not due to a hypothetical literal lack of internet. Even if your internet goes out and you want to game, you’ll click on a game and it won’t load because it “needs an update” or “needs to check that you own it”, or some other bullshit. And that’s literally even if you have the disc.

aZ0VM6f.jpeg

Alan Wake

Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.
Test Drive Unlimited: Solar Crown is the latest example of how always online does not necessarily work all the time. And that game doesn't benefit from it one bit. It didn't need to be always online, yet they decided it had to.

Last edited:

How would you like it if Samsung came in your house and removed your banana pudding from your Samsung fridge.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Gamers love to complain about things.

I don't like GaaS... So I don't buy GaaS.

I don't want to play online... so I don't play online...

People still buy physical games thinking that isn't just a digital license on a disc...
It's just a digital license on a disk? Amazing. So I need to check into a server, like digital, to verify I own the license on the disk? I can't install anything from the disk? I have no resell ability? This is insane news, someone call the press!

Boss Mog

Is OP trolling or just not that bright? It's about ownership. You don't own your game (even if it's physical) if you have to connect to a server to play it. The server decides if you can play it or not. Obviously for online games there's no way around it, but requiring always online connectivity to play an offline single player game is absolutely not required and strips the owner of their ownership.

Gamezone

Gold Member
When are people going to learn that it's not about being an issue now? It's about selling your soul and giving publishers complete control over your purchases. And then you have games that's actually caused great issues, like the launch of Diablo 3 and Sim City. Try playing Sea of Thieves. At some point you have to hurry up and complete what you're doing, because the server will go down for maintenance soon. I'm also into handheld gaming on the Steam Deck and Rog Ally, and always online would completely ruin the experience for that. I can go camping with my Steam Deck, using my phone for online connectivity, but it won't be able to maintain a steady always online connectivity. It's also terrible for preservation. And why do you want your game to be always online if it don't have to?

Last edited:
Top Bottom