• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Always Online" hasn't been an issue for me in the last 10 years, why are people still complaining?

Magister

Neo Member
I just had a PSN network error this day. My internet worked fine, but I couldn't download any digital games. I had to reset my router as there was something wrong with DNS (PSN error code). Digital only benefits.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

What does this have to do with what I said?

LOL, why would my account get banned? Especially since I don't play online games. This also has nothing to do with what I said. I said people buy discs thinking they're something that isn't just a digital license on a disc. There are tons of legitimate reasons to buy discs, but game preservation isn't a strong one.
Actually, some games have modes that are only available on the unpatched version that comes with the disc print, such as the last guardian 60fps mode and I believe Vick Vick said something about the unpatched PS5 witcher 3 version.

LRKD

You are ignoring real issues, and i don't think you actually care about them even if people brought them up. But in good faith here are 3 very good, very real issues with always online.

1, every always online game has a finite life.
https://www.pcgamer.com/mmo-graveyard/
2. constant updates, and server maintenance interrupting game flow.
FFXIV has server maintenance quite often. DBD updates used to take literal hours to update because of the way they structured the updates.
3. updates 'ruining' game balance or enjoyment.
Hunt Showdown update. Overwatch 1 -> 2. The complete removal of the first 2 years of Destiny 2 content.

TheBreezyBB

Not everyone have the same connection you do.

Let me tell you one thing though, internet will go down at some point.

I worked as customer service support for 2 years for a multi-billion company, and you will be surprised how many have service issues

Arachnid

Because these companies can take away full control of what the customer has purchased at any time if it's always online
This and what happens when servers go offline in a decade?

Am I going to lose all my HITMAN progress when they force the shift to offline? Because for some reason, they made progression seperate for both of those. Like LRKD said above, every online game has a finite life. Meanwhile, I can and do still plug in my OG Xbox to play Silent Hill 2 once a year.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
I would find it hard in most circumstances for me to argue for more control of corporations over more control for users.

Vick

Gold Member
Actually, some games have modes that are only available on the unpatched version that comes with the disc print, such as the last guardian 60fps mode and I believe Vick Vick said something about the unpatched PS5 witcher 3 version.
Yep, not just Last Guardian same for AC Unity, for instance, and Arkham City. I'm sure some others as well.

Witcher 3 on unpatched disc version is the only one I'll play on Console, for reasons explained here:

That's because you reeeally have to get used to this game controls/visual feedback, as is what it is.

Nothing to do with the Next-Gen Patch though, Performance Mode on PS5 was fucking superb (at least launch/physical version).

All gameplay Performance Mode, rock solid 60fps (Witcher senses in Novigrad aside):

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220234831.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221022059.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221225061051.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221032329.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230112071243.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221228204706.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221227182931.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230105005521.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230103030823.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222035646.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221228035544.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230042811.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220054037.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221220154349.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222065233.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222052648.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221227053749.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230015240.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221229001412.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221031320.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221225060150.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219034608.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222100723.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222100304.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221045411.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221034037.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221045055.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230045448.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219221527.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221230044849.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221222001635.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230109104913.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221219230205.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20230108133338.png

The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Complete-Edition-20221221025507.png

Do it man.

The changing vegetation glitch would still be there, maybe less annoying because I got used to it quickly, but at least it features an absolutely impeccable LOD not found anywhere else. All those shadows you see in the infinite distance, from little geometry's to whole building's, on the X version (4.00) would appear right in front of the player and disappear after a few steps.

Here's an example I made of the never changing LOD no matter how far:

May be of interest to some they also later "fixed" something they shouldn't have. lol

RDR2 is an entirely different game in version 1.00 on disc, and by far and away the best one by a country mile:

The only real Red Dead Redemption 2.

Updated version looks infinitely worse to my eyes and just feels intrinsically different. I have thousands of hours on this game, but all rigorously on version 1.00 because the pop-In, gamey lighting, cheap AO, missing light sources and many other differences just translate into a drastically different and inferior experience in every visual facet.

And this naturally also affects the PC version, for starters AO is simply unmatched however mostly noticed on character faces in still comparisons (the lack of screen space artifacts can only be appreaciated in motion):

efceW8m.gif

DDD29B00-5156-4A21-899F-C196EAD31284.gif

And in general the unique pre-rendered quality just isn't there anymore.

02CAE6DF-04DA-498E-9560-2F1A6FD40D19.gif

75703F09-7C1C-4259-8798-323DCEBA4A3A.gif

723C7221-399D-463D-9A62-191B721404E3.gif

4AE82583-7387-4149-929F-8D5C04C53D30.gif

And what's possibly worse is draw distance (also affecting PC max settings), LOD management is simply jaw dropping in 1.00 with practically non-existent pop-in, when any version after display tons of missing trees/shadows all over the place.

253BB2EE-E5FC-496E-A1E3-32EB5CB17803.gif

4DEFF4E7-2B4C-4242-AC0C-D2A006DDA5F2.gif

37832166-3707-4F7C-B0F6-A9D08B5846FD.gif

Look behind the characters in the distance, it's a massive downgrade:

6B7C595D-6AC3-4655-9477-E119F1D0E0F3.gif

C3F118FD-1D87-49C8-A09D-7EF65BADC595.gif

D1BB867A-F9A0-4784-9B0E-2E8D83D53E46.gif

0271BB8B-387C-4ADD-8463-8731E419142E.gif

Red Dead Redemption 2 version 1.00 on One/Series X is still the most impressive game ever made. But that version in general is, to the point even the not native resolution PS4 Pro version is impressive:

kW7O9mH.png

hxFVE7A.png

QB4MMc3.png

vQm3BIq.png

OEOXQyY.png

zs93XBF.png

scirkhT.png

cE1T5Rd.png

tQ4P9uY.png

9HKtaxB.png

yJHj8wp.png

kREXrBc.png

AiAENHp.png

Qxf8l6c.png

Additionally, on 1.00 you can have a Turkoman with Arthur, along with many other things necessary for a perfect Chapter 2 save.

This version is the reason why I never wanted a 60fps patch, but demand instead a proper and completely restored current gen version, not dissimilar to the one GTA V received.

And not just visually (cherry on top One X/Series X runs at native 4K), but also as a game, if you like to play as Arthur and especially in Chapter 2.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Last year i had no internet for few weeks fuck vodafone. My xbox was a complete paperweight and i only could play some ps5 games. And steam works well offline for some time, but most games wanted online verification.

nkarafo

OP your post reads like this:

"I don't have issues others have, don't care i have mine, mine works, mine, mine ,mine, i'm the main character on this earth"

Well, not everyone is you.

Also, even when it works, having an extra dependency to do something always sucks. Because it's an extra dependency that might go wrong or not.

Updating games is great and all but you can always do them when you decide to connect to the internet. It doesn't mean you have to be connected to PLAY.

Anyway, set a reminder and bump your own thread in 10 years from now, to see if something changed. Do all your games work now? Maybe in 10 years from then? Maybe something will go wrong like something minor up to you losing access to all your games?

Who knows what will happen. Since you don't have control over your games, anything is on the table.

Online only means you simply have access to your library. But you don't really own your games.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
A man does not depend on the Internet connection, in caves and in war, that was not needed... Now children if they do not have Internet they go crazy.

nkarafo

Even my fridge is always on.
Also, what a shitty analogy.

A fridge needs to be always ON (otherwise your food will spoil) using electricity only, It doesn't need the internet on top of that.

You know, like how consoles also use electricity and don't really need the internet.

You are not making any sense, this is the worst OP in a long time.

nkarafo

Because a daily check isn’t always possible everywhere.
I have a house on the mountains where there’s no internet and the cellular line is very shaky, to the point that even texts may take hours to get in or out. When I go there for a few days, I always log into my Switch Online retro game apps before I go, because they have a weekly internet check that I couldn’t possibly do up there.
It’s extreme situations, but you can see how a daily check wouldn’t be feasible in such circumstances, let alone always-online. But yeah, if you’re a dedicated gamer, of course you’ll live where there’s no internet problems.
its-called-xbox-360.jpg

Shifty1897

Not everyone lives in a city of 1.6 million people (assuming your profile is still accurate) where reliable Internet available.

ZoukGalaxy

BREAKING NEWS: not everyone is you
90S Laughing GIF

I mean, WOW, what a extremely narrow and selfish POV.
Toilet Paper No GIF by Story of This Life

BONUS: There is a thing called "game preservation"
BONUS': I don't get why poor people are poor, just buy some money ? 🤔

Last edited:

Rudius

The first time I experienced the problem of online only was with Starblood Arena for the PSVR. I discovered the game only close to the servers being shut down, never got to experience it fully...

Laptop1991

Either i own my games and can play them without the need for the internet whenever i want or i don't buy them, i have had my internet go down at times also and i don't support corporate greed and control either, i will always be against permanent online.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.
Your thread title is the epitome of entitlement. Let me re-write it for you:

"Because "I" have no issue with always online, YOU should also have no issue with always online."

Funny thing is, I ALSO have no issue with always online - for the most part. But I certainly wouldn't tell everyone else they should have no issue, either.

Three

1. Except there are SP games that force connection to servers?

2. You can still sell that disc and Sony can't ban your access to this game (like they can with your account)
Wtf has this got to do with sony? 😄

OP doesn't mention anyone and this is true for everyone and digital games, no?

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm done with trying to explain consumers loss of rights to people.
If people like the OP don't get it by now, I don't think they ever will.
Just let this shitshow reach its inevitable conclusion, and watch these morons start moaning when the reality comes and slaps them in the face.
aka just watch the world burn.

OP, if you really want to understand, I'll just refer you to Louis Rossmanns YouTube channel. Get yourself an education.

Elfstar

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm done with trying to explain consumers loss of rights to people.
Just let this shitshow reach its inevitable conclusion, and watch these morons start moaning when the reality comes and slaps them in the face.

OP, if you really want to understand, I'll just refer you to Louis Rossmanns YouTube channel. Get yourself an education.
Consumer rights??? But...I have to get up and change disks...ughhhhhh

Mr Moose

It did a 24 hour check-in, every single day. If you lost internet access, you're fucked. I think they still do it now, but it's every week?
Edit: The week thing might be Games with Gold access.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Isn't the ultimate right as a consumer having the choice to be informed about a product and then choosing if you want to purchase it or not?

Always online Isn't a hidden "gotcha" that you only find out about upon purchase, it's labelled on the box and a quick Google also confirms it as well.

A manufacturer makes a product and the consumer gets to choose if they want to purchase it or not, that's their right, but it's also their responsibility to be an informed consumer as well.

People may not like the precedent that "always online" sets but it's not going anywhere.

Buy games that align with your morals, avoid games that don't but definitely don't buy games that are always online and then complain about it after the fact, that's the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Because shit like this https://www.theverge.com/2022/3/17/22983882/ps5-gran-turismo-7-update-1-0-7-server-outage-hours or the Xbox BC game DRM fiasco that happened a couple of years ago? I dont remember. The one were people were having trouble playing their games offline. Anyone remember when that was?
Hell, just recently there was an issue with Xbox One OG consoles that haven’t been patched or the ones that have been reset. MS messed up some shit on their back end so you couldn’t onboard Xbox One devices manufactured before particular date.

Edit: The above is the reason I very much dislike PS5 Slim/Pro disk drive being an attachment as it has to be registered… online before it functions.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Don't put shit you want to be a obligation

A single player game doesn't need always online unless is a mechanical thing, and even that could be not obligated but a preferred thing

Sleepwalker

Yep, not just Last Guardian same for AC Unity, for instance, and Arkham City. I'm sure some others as well.

Witcher 3 on unpatched disc version is the only one I'll play on Console, for reasons explained here:

May be of interest to some they also later "fixed" something they shouldn't have. lol

RDR2 is an entirely different game in version 1.00 on disc, and by far and away the best one by a country mile:

And not just visually (cherry on top One X/Series X runs at native 4K), but also as a game, if you like to play as Arthur and especially in Chapter 2.
I remember now! Youre the reason I own a disc copy of RDR2 for my XSX.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
The fact that you think 10 years is enough long time to believe it will "never" be a problem shows how shortsighted you are regarding lasting rights and ownership.

Top Bottom