• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Always Online" hasn't been an issue for me in the last 10 years, why are people still complaining?

"Works on my machine"
grumpy-turk.gif

Bojji

The world doesn't revolves just around you.
Where I live, regardless of your finantial situation, the internet fails frequently. This incredibly short mind thinking of "it doesn't bother me so I don't care" will not only be the death of gaming, but everything in general.

My internet was out for maybe 12h in total in the last ten years (and that's with power outages) but always online is cancer (and always will be) and it's only there because corporations wants to fuck us even more than before.

I'd say the major issue is that anything that requires online connection also requires continued investment from the developer. Once the game stops generating revenue the developer can decide to cut the cord.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I think some just come up with conspiracy theories regarding gaming's "always online", to me I don't mind it's offers updates.

Skyfox

I bought a Tell Tale game called RGX showdown. On Xbox.

It would do a server check before you could play.

They turned off the server and now the game is gone.

Cyberpunkd

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.
Because for always online SP games the only reason to have it is to mine your data and analytics and then either later to sell them or to use them to design more addictive game mechanics. Most often without asking you for your permission to gain access to said data.

Also for SP games there is very often “connecting to server” message which adds a bit of time each time you want to jump back in. Not to mention company is not obligated to remove that requirement if said server were to be shut down, thus preventing you from continuing to use the product you bought.

Last edited:

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
I get the reasons for complaining, but how many of the complainers actually go offline while playing? People are lazy fuckers, even chanigng discs is too much for many and going offline takes an effort as well.

Stu_Hart

Always online is not the issue. I don't like games that are single player needing online connection to function, and the other stuff MS was trying to push back in the day before the xb one launch such as 24 hr check-ins or your system is a brick among other BS...It's good that the backlash made them change the requirements.

Reactions: Isa

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Because a daily check isn’t always possible everywhere.
I have a house on the mountains where there’s no internet and the cellular line is very shaky, to the point that even texts may take hours to get in or out. When I go there for a few days, I always log into my Switch Online retro game apps before I go, because they have a weekly internet check that I couldn’t possibly do up there.
It’s extreme situations, but you can see how a daily check wouldn’t be feasible in such circumstances, let alone always-online. But yeah, if you’re a dedicated gamer, of course you’ll live where there’s no internet problems.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

When there’s a new game requiring always to be online, why do people make such a big deal? Even my fridge is always on.

MMMMMh yeah I wonder why it's an issue...

Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas

WHEN 2 FUCKIN DAYS AGO I was playing Space Marine II and got disconnected to the main menu (I was fighting the Carnifex in the first map) and had to restart after 25 minutes of waiting because the servers were messing up. And my internet wasn't down because I was in Discord with a friend.

Your take is stupid, sorry to be this abrupt but the "I don't have issue so nobody's have issue" IS stupid.

Always online consoles and games just work these days. Everyone I know has their system connected to Wi-Fi and games can auto update and my internet never goes down.

It wasn't an issue back then it's just pointing scoring. If people are truthful they live their lives by being connected to the internet and the 1st thing one does when one gets a new console, a new PC, or a new Mobile phone, or more and more any major electronic company, is connect it to your Wi-Fi. In my work, our pay dockets are completely online, our roster is completely online and hell if you want to apply for a new job in the Trust, guess what?... you have to be online.

Far more of an issue of is so many places now only accept contactless payments and not cash. Giving banks full access to where you are spending your money and what you are doing.

Goalus

The Division 1, Outriders, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, all these games will become useless once their servers die.
If/when something happens to Outriders, this will be the time where I re-evaluate my stance on always-online.

Last edited:
To be fair, there definitely are some benefits to this idea, but the drawbacks outweigh them by far. These benefits mostly skew towards the vendors and platforms than it does the actual gamer.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some folks in favor of this are actual astroturfers who weaselled their way into the community to sway the general consensus. "Who cares if doesn't benefit you!? just accept it!".

I've been living in my fancy big house with lakeview for 10 years, why are people still sleeping on the streets?
Clearly, those people just don't want to a penthouse with a lakeside view. Its that simple.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I'm stuck on a cable modem. I was playing The Division one day, about an hour in, and the game crashed because the game couldnt reach the Ubisoft server in time because i had high packet loss. My internet has been shit for months and the ISP wont do anything. Can't get fiber. 5g modems are awful. I live in a big city here in the USA. Our infrastructure here is awful.

dorkimoe

Ghost recon wildlands if you tried to suspend/resume you had to reload because of always online. Its ridiculous and should be removed.

When I lost almost an hour long single player race in gt7 because my internet decided it was time to reset, I became firmly against things being unnecessarily online only. It adds nothing and just makes the product worse

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

Planned obsolescence.

Even multiplayer games and modes should have offline LAN play so the game’s forever playable locally or through online portals* when the official service shuts down.

*Halo CE introduced me to the possibility, even if I couldn’t get to work with my 56k dialup!

Last edited:

grvg

I remember going to a used book store and visiting their Vidya section, and they were selling a new in box copy of tabula rasa, an MMO game that had been offline for 5 years at that point. Just a fun memory.

Minsc

Gold Member
Always online doesn't bother me too much for online games - like multiplayer or MMOs, it kinda makes sense.

But holy hell is it a trigger when it's used as a gate to prevent people from playing their offline games. The only reason anyone doesn't complain about it is because they aren't affected by it. But just wait until they are. See if they're happy to just play something else instead or wait for a fix. I think the games are bought with the expectation you are in control of when you play them, not someone else.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

What's the benefit to the consumer for an always online requirement, specifically in a single player only game?

clarky

Gold Member
go and play the Crew... oh wait, you can't.

go play Concord... oh wait, you can't.

go play Battleborn... oh wait, you can't.

go play Overwatch 1... oh wait, you can't.

shall I go on?
add to that servers crashing, your ISP fucking up, some roadworkers accidently cutting your wire 5 blocks down the road leaving you 3 or more days without stable internet.
These are all multiplayer games though? How are you going to play at all without online?

I'm right there with you, man.

Also, what's up with all these wheelchair ramps. No one I know personally has ever needed one, so why do we have laws saying they need to be there?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If a game gives me option play SP then I should be fucking allowed to play it completely offline…..it’s that simple.

Sometimes my interested provider get technical difficulties and sometimes my PS5 like disconnect from intervened for no reason.

More importantly if the game’s severs get cut off I still want to able to play my SP game.

Well it's pretty simple really. What benefits do you actually get? There is no point for it. While Internet going down may be rare for some people, or can also be somewhat common in rural or spotty areas. I live in a major US city and my Internet will probably drop like 10 times a year.

stickkidsam

MMMMMh yeah I wonder why it's an issue...

Think Which One GIF by Nick Jonas

WHEN 2 FUCKIN DAYS AGO I was playing Space Marine II and got disconnected to the main menu (I was fighting the Carnifex in the first map) and had to restart after 25 minutes of waiting because the servers were messing up. And my internet wasn't down because I was in Discord with a friend.

Your take is stupid, sorry to be this abrupt but the "I don't have issue so nobody's have issue" IS stupid.
Space Marine 2 is always online??

Top Bottom