• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's Countdown to Black Friday Video Game Sales 2010

C Jones

Is there anyway to NOT use a games credit? It was automatically applied to my order and I didn't notice until it was too late (rushing to make a Lightning Deal). I emailed customer service but I don't even remember seeing an option to not have it applied. I'd rather use it on something I wouldn't want to pay $60 for.

C Jones said:
Is there anyway to NOT use a games credit? It was automatically applied to my order and I didn't notice until it was too late (rushing to make a Lightning Deal). I emailed customer service but I don't even remember seeing an option to not have it applied. I'd rather use it on something I wouldn't want to pay $60 for.

I think on the payment options screen there is a check box on whether to use it or not, but I don't know if that will mess up the lightning deal price then too. Why is it such a big deal?

Kolgar

Calavera520 said:
hmm that's a nice deal. How easy is it to expand the hard drive on the new slim? do you need to get some dedicated xbox hard drive expansion like the old one?

Get a nice 16GB USB thumb drive and you'll have the same or more storage as the original (2005) model with the 20GB hard drive.

C Jones said:

Nope, they tie all the promotional credit together in their system, i had 40 bucks worth of credit which i wanted to use on The Last Guardian but getting Killzone 2, it wouldn't let me just buy it at 10 bucks with my card because the system wouldn't let you get the 7.99 discount since it was promotional credit.
But the CSR are good about this stuff, so you should be able to get it taken care off.

Monocle

Scott32020 said:
Is it against the ToS and if so do they not enforce/care
I have no idea what the ToS says but the charge went through almost immediately and the order is about to ship, so it's probably fine.

It's not like I was trying to game the system or anything. The site itself screwed me over by failing to apply the special price to my order when I clicked the correct button. Only after I'd removed the item from my cart and found that it couldn't be readded did I decide to make a new account. I'm disappointed with Amazon for not foreseeing this problem and providing customers with a way to restore the contents of a cart and/or reapply a sale price.

C Jones

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I think on the payment options screen there is a check box on whether to use it or not, but I don't know if that will mess up the lightning deal price then too. Why is it such a big deal?
Because I have no problem paying $30 for a game out of pocket when I have the money when it's on a Lightning Deal. I'd rather use my credit down the road on a game I'm on the fence on to make a $60 game a $30 dollar game.

Brashnir

C Jones said:
Because I have no problem paying $30 for a game out of pocket when I have the money when it's on a Lightning Deal. I'd rather use my credit down the road on a game I'm on the fence on to make a $60 game a $30 dollar game.

That's some weird psychology you have going on there.

Basically, you'd rather they kept your money for you until you could make yourself feel better about a later purchase since they already have half of it?

Why not just stick the 30 bucks under your keyboard and then pull it out next time you want a $60 game?

CrankyJay

Banned
Brashnir said:

Basically, you'd rather they kept your money for you until you could make yourself feel better about a later purchase since they already have half of it?

Why not just stick the 30 bucks under your keyboard and then pull it out next time you want a $60 game?

I guess they don't get they're spending the same amount in the end. :lol

C Jones

Brashnir said:

Oh Amazon takes cash now?

magnificent83 said:
Nope, they tie all the promotional credit together in their system, i had 40 bucks worth of credit which i wanted to use on The Last Guardian but getting Killzone 2, it wouldn't let me just buy it at 10 bucks with my card because the system wouldn't let you get the 7.99 discount since it was promotional credit.
But the CSR are good about this stuff, so you should be able to get it taken care off.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

C Jones said:

You might be SOL.

Degen

So this is what it took to get me to finally buy Demon's Souls... Man, it's gonna be ironic if I end up liking it.

Infinity

Is the Fallout NV deal good? What platform is the most stable? I see the price goes from $29.99, which is the PC version on up.

USF

Is BFBC2 Ultimate Edition going any lower than $39? Or have I missed a lightning deal on that?

Infinity

Scott32020 said:
Customer Service was able to solve the problem with readding the lightning deal. I was so panicked after that happened :lol

Great!!! Glad to know that they will help with situations like this when you're hosed.

Scott32020 said:
Customer Service was able to solve the problem with readding the lightning deal. I was so panicked after that happened :lol

They always are as long as the deal isn't expired/full claimed. Their customer service is good. :D

C Jones

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
You might be SOL.
Alright here's my response from Amazon, might help people that don't want to use a games credit:

Hello,

I'm sorry, at this time, it's not possible to remove the promotional credit once applied to your order.

Once the promotional credit applied to your order, it's not possible to remove or credit the promotional balance to your account.

I understand that you did not intended to use this promotional credit to your order. I see that $29.99 promotional credit has been applied to your order.

Also, I see that your order has entered shipping process.

Any promotional funds used toward your purchase are not refunded. Promotional funds work much like coupons in a physical store--if you return the item, you're refunded for the amount you paid out of pocket, and not for the amount of the coupon.

As an exception, I've issued you a 29.99 promotional certificate, which you can use the next time you order an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com. You'll see your available promotional balance at checkout--this amount will be applied to your next order automatically without entering a claim code. Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account but will always display when you place an order

For more information about using your promotional certificate, including the terms and conditions for using the certificate, visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help/promotionalcertificate

In future, the option to check out without using your gift card balance is presented on the same page as your other payment options. Make sure you uncheck the box next to "Use your $X.XX Gift and promotional balance." It can be found under the list of your available credit cards.

If you don't see this screen during checkout, you can find the option on the last page before placing your order. Click the "Change" button under the Payment Method heading.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

I love Amazon customer service!

SlickVic

Jumped on the GoW Collection right before it ended. Don't see myself replaying those soon, but it's hard to imagine this collection going any cheaper. Probably gonna grab New Vegas PC or $30 and barring any crazy Steam deals and/or a nice price Heavy Rain, that should be it for me this month (and hopefully the year but never know what insane deals are gonna pop up on the Steam Holiday Sale :D )

C Jones said:
Alright here's my response from Amazon, might help people that don't want to use a games credit:

Hello,

I'm sorry, at this time, it's not possible to remove the promotional credit once applied to your order.

Once the promotional credit applied to your order, it's not possible to remove or credit the promotional balance to your account.

I understand that you did not intended to use this promotional credit to your order. I see that $29.99 promotional credit has been applied to your order.

Also, I see that your order has entered shipping process.

Any promotional funds used toward your purchase are not refunded. Promotional funds work much like coupons in a physical store--if you return the item, you're refunded for the amount you paid out of pocket, and not for the amount of the coupon.

As an exception, I've issued you a 29.99 promotional certificate, which you can use the next time you order an item shipped and sold by Amazon.com. You'll see your available promotional balance at checkout--this amount will be applied to your next order automatically without entering a claim code. Your promotional balance doesn't appear in Your Account but will always display when you place an order

For more information about using your promotional certificate, including the terms and conditions for using the certificate, visit our Help pages:

http://www.amazon.com/help/promotionalcertificate

In future, the option to check out without using your gift card balance is presented on the same page as your other payment options. Make sure you uncheck the box next to "Use your $X.XX Gift and promotional balance." It can be found under the list of your available credit cards.

If you don't see this screen during checkout, you can find the option on the last page before placing your order. Click the "Change" button under the Payment Method heading.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

I love Amazon customer service!

It won't work though since the money taken off by a lightning deal is also considered "promotional credit" so it'll force you to pay full price like I said on the other page.

cvxfreak

Amazon customer service is indeed full of win.

They can turn even the most frustrating experiences into something better just because they're generous.

C Jones

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It won't work though since the money taken off by a lightning deal is also considered "promotional credit" so it'll force you to pay full price like I said on the other page.
Yup you were right. I still have another lightning deal to take advantage of today, and I won't be emailing them over that one too :lol

It's good to know that the promo thing is under payment options for future reference, since I never go to that screen. Thanks for your help today.

Infinity said:
Is the Fallout NV deal good? What platform is the most stable? I see the price goes from $29.99, which is the PC version on up.

Yes, great game and I would definitely go with the PC version if you can run it. Some of the bugs that the console versions have are fixed by player made mods. $30 is a great price, kinda pissed that its so low since i just bought a digital version for $40 last weekend...

painey

picked up an xbox 360 today and about 13 games :lol absolute overkill, but games in the US never drop in price so i filled my boots.

Rocket786

I was hoping for a deal on Castlevania. =(

Well, I still want to pick up NBA Jam. I see that's going to be available later on today. I wonder if it will be all platforms or just the Wii?

LQX

painey said:
picked up an xbox 360 today and about 13 games :lol absolute overkill, but games in the US never drop in price so i filled my boots.
You're kidding right?

C Jones

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there a better deal on a PS3 than the Black Friday bundle on amazon?
I don't think so. I think K-Mart is the closest to just matching it but the Uncharted 2 is not GOTY edition.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, it says 29.99, only 31% claimed on the main page. I put it in my cart and the price goes up 10 bucks. WTFFFF

Top Bottom