• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Isn't Quick Sync technically a part of Intel's iGPU and the better comparison NVEnc on Nvidia GPUs and VCE on AMD GPUs respectively? Ryzen doesn't come with an iGPU after all so encoding is all done on the CPU while the aforementioned features use hardware acceleration which is always more efficient (but often less flexible).

While that's true, I'm more concerned with what the overall package my perspective money is getting me is. Quicksync is a feature that the Intel chips bring to the table. But, if a 1700 (or one of the Ryzen 5 chips for that matter) can leverage its cores and multitasking ability, to stream better, while maintaining a solid framerate, and I get to have all the productivity advantages of all those cores, then that's where I'll likely angle myself for my next PC build.

I don't need the highest gaming framerates, if the framerates I do get are more than adequate and rock solid regardless of what's going on in the background.

Ryzen 5's already in the wild. Stores got shipments early as hell and some places are already selling them.

piMPICM.jpg

6RuF3ib.jpg

Memory compatibility fix and Vega in May.

Two more months 😲
Overclock 3D (OC3D) —— AMD has reportedly released new AGESA Microcode for Ryzen

AMD has reportedly released new AGESA Microcode for Ryzen, which is designed to improve RAM compatibility on their AM4 platform. This new code should soon be released in new UEFI/BIOS files for AM4 motherboard soon, though this will depend on how long it takes motherboard makers to add this new code to their next UEFI/BIOS releases.

As always, we recommend that users use best practices when updating their UEFI/BIOS, updating within your UEFI and not your OS using a memory stick with the new BIOS files. Your motherboard manufacturer will have guides on how to update your BIOS in the safest possible way.

AMD's Generic Encapsulated Software Architecture (AGESA), is a protocol that is used on AMD64 mainboards to initialise the system. This software is responsible for the initialization of CPU cores, memory and HyperTransport controllers, which should mean that this new microcode will improve DDR4 memory support.

61a70c0d-8389-41f3-8fvvl5i.jpg

eTeknix —— MSI Introduces A-XMP and 7 New Ryzen AM4 Motherboards

Hexus —— MSI intros A-XMP memory profiles for its AM4 motherboards

We all know by now that memory performance has a big impact on AMD’s Ryzen processors and as such MSI’s newest feature is a welcome addition. MSI announced that it is proud to announce that they are featuring the world’s first 1-second DDR4 performance and stability feature named A-XMP.

The A-XMP feature is much like the well-known Intel XMP feature, only for AMD systems. The A-XMP enables support for higher rated DDR4 memory kits to work without any hassle. The new feature will be rolled out in soon to be available BIOS updates for all MSI AM4 motherboards.
You will likely know about Intel Extreme Memory Profiles (Intel XMP) which simplified RAM overclocking on Intel chipset motherboards. Intel XMP lets you to load optimised tested memory OC profiles via your OS or BIOS. It simply allows your Intel motherboard based memory subsystem to work at the top claimed speeds with RAM kits from memory makers - without any hassle.

MSI's A-XMP basically does the same as Intel XMP but for AMD AM4 motherboard based systems. It is described by the firm as the "world’s first 1-second DDR4 performance and stability feature". Single-click memory timings and speeds are set in the MSI 'Click BIOS utility, as shown above.

The MSI A-XMP feature will be rolled out "soon" and be activated via BIOS updates for the full range of MSI AM4 motherboards.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Hi guys, I'm about to buy a Ryzen combo in newegg in a few days and I wanted to know if all the issues you are reporting are for enthusiasts side, will I have all the same issues if I only want to use everything at stock setup including 2400 MHz ram for now? I want to make sure since I need to change my computer as soon as possible due to my current computer dying (motherboard is killing my CPUs) and I want the best possible performance for 3D/video/design machine with gaming as secondary activity but I have to bring it overseas since computer parts are way too expensive on my country and I'm afraid of the presenting issues if they are so widespread :(

Hi guys, I'm about to buy a Ryzen combo in newegg in a few days and I wanted to know if all the issues you are reporting are for enthusiasts side, will I have all the same issues if I only want to use everything at stock setup including 2400 MHz ram for now? I want to make sure since I need to change my computer as soon as possible due to my current computer dying (motherboard is killing my CPUs) and I want the best possible performance for 3D/video/design machine with gaming as secondary activity but I have to bring it overseas since computer parts are way too expensive on my country and I'm afraid of the presenting issues if they are so widespread :(

Of course you will be absolutely fine, it's testament to the noise people are making over such trivial things with Ryzen that you even have to ask the question.

There is only one issue and that is memory compatibility and some buggyness above what is officially supported so it won't effect you.

Durante

I wish there was anything about Asrock's B350 Fatal1ty motherboards that wasn't user reviews on store pages. That and the Gigabyte Gaming 3 are my leading candidates for my upcoming upgrade to an R5 1600X, but it's hard to tell which is better, aside from the B350 Fatal1ty having more VRM phases.

Anybody had any luck with G.Skill Ripjaw V?

I ordered it back when RAM prices first started rising. Now I'm fairly certain I've gotten sticks that aren't compatible. Can't get them over 2133.

Any tips?

Newboi

I'm actually confused at the level of dismay I've seen across the net over the Ryzen series performance vs Intel (not calling out anyone here...just a general statement). You get more cores that, even in an immature state due to early firmware and lack of optimization, deliver performance in the same ball park as chips that are two to three times the price.

If the idea is that more cores will become valuable as game workloads become more heavily multi-threaded, why aren't Ryzen chips an all around win at their price? Yes, the 7700K in several cases has a 10% or more FPS lead in games that aren't heavily multi-threaded, but the differences look to be more like 170 FPS vs 160/150 FPS rather than 70 fps vs 40fps.

Anyway, The question for me is, will more than 6 cores be a great investment if your primary use case is gaming? If 6 cores will get you roughly the same results an 8 core or more chip in a heavily threaded scenario, then Ryzen 5 chips will be much more attractive than Ryzen 7 (at least to me).

I'm actually confused at the level of dismay I've seen across the net over the Ryzen series performance vs Intel (not calling out anyone here...just a general statement). You get more cores that, even in an immature state due to early firmware and lack of optimization, deliver performance in the same ball park as chips that are two to three times the price.

If the idea is that more cores will become valuable as game workloads become more heavily multi-threaded, why aren't Ryzen chips an all around win at their price? Yes, the 7700K in several cases has a 10% or more FPS lead in games that aren't heavily multi-threaded, but the differences look to be more like 170 FPS vs 160/150 FPS rather than 70 fps vs 40fps.

Anyway, The question for me is, will more than 6 cores be a great investment if your primary use case is gaming? If 6 cores will get you roughly the same results an 8 core or more chip in a heavily threaded scenario, then Ryzen 5 chips will be much more attractive than Ryzen 7 (at least to me).

What's even more absurd is you'll need a Titan X or 1080 Ti and not game at 1440p or 4K with those cards to see this mere 10% (sometimes a little more) fps gain in gaming. And even then, like you say, we're talking fps often over 100 for the Ryzen and the Kaby Lake.

dr_rus

The simple answer is that people do not buy things now to use them to their fullest in three years. Something which is better right now will always be winning in sales and mind share over something which could be better some time down the road.

Six core Ryzen R5 should be a very interesting and tempting option for those who don't aim at the highest possible h/w end. We should wait for benchmarks but I think it's safe to say already that many people will prefer it to similarly priced Intel 4C/4T i5s.

Rimshot

I'm a bit confused as others have seemed to be around the net surrounding what is the better buy (Kaby lake vs Ryzen). I ended up in a situation where I need to upgrade my computer as it just wouldn't start anymore, and I have a really hard time choosing between the 7700K vs 1700X as people are stating it is dumb to buy the 7700K for performance today as it is not future proof like 1700X is but that lacks the performance today. I've heard that the 7700K is maxed when the GPU (1080) is maxed and that 1700X is still only around 40% utilised then as a reason to buy Ryzen instead. What do you all think?

Papacheeks

Banned
I'm a bit confused as others have seemed to be around the net surrounding what is the better buy (Kaby lake vs Ryzen). I ended up in a situation where I need to upgrade my computer as it just wouldn't start anymore, and I have a really hard time choosing between the 7700K vs 1700X as people are stating it is dumb to buy the 7700K for performance today as it is not future proof like 1700X is but that lacks the performance today. I've heard that the 7700K is maxed when the GPU (1080) is maxed and that 1700X is still only around 40% utilised then as a reason to buy Ryzen instead. What do you all think?

Depends on what your uses are for the cpu. If you only play games and that's your main drive for building PC then maybe go intel i5-i7. But if you want to stream while playing a game, and do any kind of video editing,encoding then the ryzen is a better pick.

Intel has the higher clocks which games like, and games currently most of them are not multi-threaded dependent, but that may change depending on if developers target more cores as adoption for 6+core cpu's increase.

If you want an all around performer to do other thing's outside of just games Ryzen is a great choice especially the r7 1700, and the upcoming r5 1600x.

If your primarily a gamer and want the highest frames and not much more outside of regular computing then intel is the way to go at the moment.

The simple answer is that people do not buy things now to use them to their fullest in three years. Something which is better right now will always be winning in sales and mind share over something which could be better some time down the road.

Sure they do. I do. Preferring a slight performance advantage today over several extra years of viability down the line has always been bad advice, even though it's often given. In real world use most people deciding between a Ryzen or i7 are going to be GPU limited. That makes the 7700K a fool's bargain compared to significant gains having twice as many cores will provide in non-gaming applications and future games.

Rimshot

Depends on what your uses are for the cpu. If you only play games and that's your main drive for building PC then maybe go intel i5-i7. But if you want to stream while playing a game, and do any kind of video editing,encoding then the ryzen is a better pick.

Intel has the higher clocks which games like, and games currently most of them are not multi-threaded dependent, but that may change depending on if developers target more cores as adoption for 6+core cpu's increase.

If you want an all around performer to do other thing's outside of just games Ryzen is a great choice especially the r7 1700, and the upcoming r5 1600x.

If your primarily a gamer and want the highest frames and not much more outside of regular computing then intel is the way to go at the moment.

I don't really do any streaming of the games that I am playing so I won't get any advantage there I guess. And I'm not doing any video rendering. The heaviest thing I guess I can say I do except the gaming is trying to modify some pictures in Lightroom equivalent work.

But then again I'm not sure what I'll be doing in the future either :)

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't really do any streaming of the games that I am playing so I won't get any advantage there I guess. And I'm not doing any video rendering. The heaviest thing I guess I can say I do except the gaming is trying to modify some pictures in Lightroom equivalent work.

But then again I'm not sure what I'll be doing in the future either :)

I would say if you can hold out a couple weeks and see how benches are then make your decision.

You might see some slight price changes as well on the intel side.

What's even more absurd is you'll need a Titan X or 1080 Ti and not game at 1440p or 4K with those cards to see this mere 10% (sometimes a little more) fps gain in gaming. And even then, like you say, we're talking fps often over 100 for the Ryzen and the Kaby Lake.
You just described me. I am that person. I game at 1080p 144 hz g-sync with 6700k @4.5 ghz and currently 980 ti, but soon to be 1080 ti.I hope AMD continues to get better and provide competition so I may consider them when upgrading around 2020 or so.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Of course you will be absolutely fine, it's testament to the noise people are making over such trivial things with Ryzen that you even have to ask the question.

There is only one issue and that is memory compatibility and some buggyness above what is officially supported so it won't effect you.

I see, thank you. Then I'm going with that. Will the chipest MSI mobo work for me? I've not seen many reviews but the ones in the Asus boards are very desilusional (being 1-3 stars most of the time due to not working out of the box and so)

Renekton

You just described me. I am that person. I game at 1080p 144 hz g-sync with 6700k @4.5 ghz and currently 980 ti, but soon to be 1080 ti.I hope AMD continues to get better and provide competition so I may consider them when upgrading around 2020 or so.
Yeah the 144hz gaming use case is perfectly valid. Even Intel is releasing a KBL-X exactly for this scenario.

The Tech Report —— The Tech Report System Guide: March 2017 edition - Now we're building with Ryzen

tr1xulbf.png

tr2v2ax7.png

tr3pvaoo.png

Anybody had any luck with G.Skill Ripjaw V?

I ordered it back when RAM prices first started rising. Now I'm fairly certain I've gotten sticks that aren't compatible. Can't get them over 2133.

Any tips?
I have only used Asus and Gigabyte's X370s so far, with G.Skill Triden Z sticks so I'm not sure how much would translate.

After booting on auto settings, note how loose your RAM timings may be compared to its actual spec. If auto for you is 2133MHz and you either don't have XMP/DOCP/AMP options or you can't get that to boot cleanly, I'd slowly work my way up with manual settings; saving and booting after each tweak until you can't post as a way to find the highest and tightest you can run stable.

IIRC, you have 2x16GB sticks like mine. Like with a number of AMD and Inel motherboards the higher density RAM kits tend to offer the least overall compatibility (speed, voltage, max number of DIMM slots that can be populated, etc.). Still I'd be surprised if you can't get at least 2400MHz or 26667MHz to run at your RAM's stock timings, or a bit looser.

Also, your board isn't a near-"twin" like the ASRock Taichi and Fatality Pro, but MSI's X370 XPower Gaming Titanium seems to share enough with your Carbon that going over reviews or user experiences of the Titanium is worth looking into for a range of RAM speeds and timings people have had success with on that platform.

I haven't viewed these beyond a cursory glance, but see if a quick skim through the links below might be of any help:

Overclock.net —— MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon experience

Bald Man Tech [YouTube Video] —— Ryzen 1700 and MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Basic Overclocking, Cinebench R15 and BIOS Guide!

GI Tech [YouTube Video] —— AMD Ryzen 7 1800x Build Completed

Tom's Technical Ramblings [YouTube Video] —— Ryzen 1700X Build Time lapse

Geekin' Dad [YouTube Video] —— MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard Unboxing and Overview

Zzeddd [YouTube Video] —— Msi x370 Am4 Gaming Pro Carbon unboxing and overview (short version)

Zzeddd [YouTube Video] —— Msi Gaming Pro Carbon x370 AM4 motherboard IN DEPTH overview

DonMigs85

I'm leaning towards the 1400 if it is indeed a 4+0 config. I also just sold my GTX 960 so I'm GPU-less now. Wonder if I should get an RX 480 now or just wait for the 580.

Alright so my PRIME X370-PRO's QVL list doesn't list the RAM I bought...
It cites support for both CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 but not the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W 2x8 I have... how boned am I? I'm guessing not very, but best to check right?
This is surprising to me after AMD recommended the exact model I purchased, specifically 3200MHz...

Might I see this RAM supported come May, after AMD's memory fix?

IC5

Übermatik;232671497 said:
It cites support for both CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 and CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 but not the CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W 2x8 I have... how boned am I? I'm guessing not very, but best to check right?
This is surprising to me after AMD recommended the exact model I purchased, specifically 3200MHz...

Unfortunately, you never know.
Right now, it seems like most brands are having issues with XMP support and this microcode update should help a lot.

But, in my experience, Asus boards are more tempermental with RAM, than some other brands.

dr_rus

Sure they do. I do. Preferring a slight performance advantage today over several extra years of viability down the line has always been bad advice, even though it's often given. In real world use most people deciding between a Ryzen or i7 are going to be GPU limited. That makes the 7700K a fool's bargain compared to significant gains having twice as many cores will provide in non-gaming applications and future games.

I agree with you and I think that buying a quad core CPU right now is rather stupid. But that's not how market works. The product which is showing better results today will be winning in sales over the one which _might_ show better results down the road. And when this moment comes it's very possible that a different newer competing product will be winning over the old one again despite it reaching it's potential and thus the sales will again be somewhere else.

Unfortunately, you never know.
Right now, it seems like most brands are having issues with XMP support and this microcode update should help a lot.

But, in my experience, Asus boards are more tempermental with RAM, than some other brands.

Bleh. What's the likeliest scenario? Underclocked RAM or failure to boot? I have these Corsair sticks now and I'm a little anxious to get building. I knew this Asus board would be trouble, it doesn't line up with AMD's recommendations at all - AMD suggest either Geil EVO X, G.Skill Trident Z or the Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 I have, NONE of which are listed under the PRIME X370-PRO's supported memory... What the fuck, Asus.

Paragon

Übermatik;232671497 said:

Not being on the QVL list doesn't mean that it won't work, just that it hasn't been tested and verified as working.
It will probably work at 2933MT/s, but being rated for 3200MT/s does not guarantee that it will work at this speed with a Ryzen board.
That's why G.SKILL are putting out kits specifically made for Ryzen, and even then, the faster RAM requires a motherboard with a clock generator for BCLK adjustments.

Unfortunately memory suppliers seem to be really bad at providing specific information about what they sell.
Ryzen seems to need single-ranked memory kits to reach high speeds, and few vendors list that.
I don't know if it only applies to ECC memory or not, but even Crucial, who go into excruciating detail on their server memory, do not list whether their consumer/gamer memory is single/dual ranked.

I'm still thinking of building a Ryzen system due to the ECC support (and would have this weekend if all the parts were in stock) because it's either that or a Xeon build, since Intel's HEDT do not support ECC.

If you thought buying memory was confusing now, just wait until you look into ECC memory and support.
Manufacturers originally said there was no ECC support on Ryzen.
Many of the spec pages have been updated to include unbuffered ECC support, but without any details or ECC sticks listed on their QVL list.
I think the Crosshair VI supports ECC now, but they don't make it clear. (It's the only high-end board in stock anywhere here)

On top of that, the only 2666MT/s ECC memory I can find is dual-ranked above 4GB too, which would limit you to only 8GB at that speed.
So I have to either buy slower RAM (2400MT/s) or hope that the memory update improves support for dual-rank DIMMs.

I'm leaning towards the 1400 if it is indeed a 4+0 config. I also just sold my GTX 960 so I'm GPU-less now. Wonder if I should get an RX 480 now or just wait for the 580.
AMD have already said that it will be 2+2

Not being on the QVL list doesn't mean that it won't work, just that it hasn't been tested and verified as working.
It will probably work at 2933MT/s, but being rated for 3200MT/s does not guarantee that it will work at this speed with a Ryzen board.
That's why G.SKILL are putting out kits specifically made for Ryzen, and even then, the faster RAM requires a motherboard with a clock generator for BCLK adjustments.

Unfortunately memory suppliers seem to be really bad at providing specific information about what they sell.
Ryzen seems to need single-ranked memory kits to reach high speeds, and few vendors list that.
I don't know if it only applies to ECC memory or not, but even Crucial, who go into excruciating detail on their server memory, do not list whether their consumer/gamer memory is single/dual ranked.

I'm still thinking of building a Ryzen system due to the ECC support (and would have this weekend if all the parts were in stock) because it's either that or a Xeon build, since Intel's HEDT do not support ECC.

If you thought buying memory was confusing now, just wait until you look into ECC memory and support.
Manufacturers originally said there was no ECC support on Ryzen.
Many of the spec pages have been updated to include unbuffered ECC support, but without any details or ECC sticks listed on their QVL list.
I think the Crosshair VI supports ECC now, but they don't make it clear. (It's the only high-end board in stock anywhere here)

On top of that, the only 2666MT/s ECC memory I can find is dual-ranked above 4GB too, which would limit you to only 8GB at that speed.
So I have to either buy slower RAM (2400MT/s) or hope that the memory update improves support for dual-rank DIMMs.

Thanks Paragon, your replies are always very well informed! I'm not too worried if 2933MT/s is the limit I can hit - if it was 2133 or something daft I'd be inclined to return either the mobo or RAM, but as it is I'm just gonna stick with it and see how it pans out. I'll let anyone here interested know how I get on.

thelastword

Banned
Looks like Ryzen benefits quite a bit with higher memory speeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZS2XHcQdqA
Was just going to post this...and to think the May update is not here yet...It's obvious that the windows update have improved things for ryzen, with potential more updates to come.....

Higher minimums and averages on quite a few games over the 7700k, and yet the ryzen cpu in that video is only overclcoked at 3.9GHz...If Ryzen's overclocking capabilities continue to improve, especially with the new microcode in May...I can see Ryzen outdoing the 7700k on mostly all tests. With just 3200MHz memory Ryzen has already closed the gap in TR where there was a big lead for intel...It's now leading in GTA5, Watch Dogs 2, Crysis 3 and and has improved the gap in Mafia 3 with the latest windows update and faster ram speeds.

·feist·;232666379 said:
Yeah, none of the XMP profiles will boot. I've tried various timing/voltage settings that I see have worked for others and I've got nothing. Will not post higher than stock.

Pretty sure the RAM is just not at all compatible. I seem to have wasted a few hundred dollars.

Sinistral

Yeah, none of the XMP profiles will boot. I've tried various timing/voltage settings that I see have worked for others and I've got nothing. Will not post higher than stock.

Pretty sure the RAM is just not at all compatible. I seem to have wasted a few hundred dollars.

Ran into the same thing today. Do you have 2x16GB sticks like I do? I've got G.Skill CL14 TridentZs. I've been reading 2T ram is extremely finicky if you're not getting bios updates regularly. Which most 16GB sticks will be. Quality 2x8GB seem to be far more successful due to being 1T at XMP, or custom settings. Which is unfortunate cause those couple videos above show some nice gains.

Took one whole month for a new bios to come out for my Asus B350M-A. Which doesn't include the FMA microcode fix, or the R7_X 20 Celsius offset or more Ram Compatibility. Maybe next month... If only I didn't want to go small...

Ran into the same thing today. Do you have 2x16GB sticks like I do? I've got G.Skill CL14 TridentZs. I've been reading 2T ram is extremely finicky if you're not getting bios updates regularly. Which most 16GB sticks will be. Quality 2x8GB seem to be far more successful due to being 1T at XMP, or custom settings. Which is unfortunate cause those couple videos above show some nice gains.

Took one whole month for a new bios to come out for my Asus B350M-A. Which doesn't include the FMA microcode fix, or the R7_X 20 Celsius offset or more Ram Compatibility. Maybe next month... If only I didn't want to go small...
Yep, bought two sets of 2X16 Ripjaw V. 32GB per PC. (Wife is a graphic designer)

I have the MSI Pro Gaming Carbon. Last BIOS was on March 8th... Only listed "Improved system stability" in notes... Maybe I'll get an update soon...

Kambing

Übermatik;232673393 said:
Thanks Paragon, your replies are always very well informed! I'm not too worried if 2933MT/s is the limit I can hit - if it was 2133 or something daft I'd be inclined to return either the mobo or RAM, but as it is I'm just gonna stick with it and see how it pans out. I'll let anyone here interested know how I get on.

Well Uber, I re-cancelled the Intel build, and committed to Ryzen. My Noctua DH-15 cooler comes Sunday, then it is build time. It is a pity about your ram -- I read online that for now the Ryzen chips seem to much more compatible with two 8GB sticks, made by Samsung. I have a 3200 stick that will be paired with the X370 MSI Titanium, let's see how it pans out.

So JayzTwoCents got his hands on a BIOS update for the ROG Crosshair, and some G. Skill memory that's supposedly 'designed for AMD Ryzen'. He managed to get his OC up to 4.1 GHz where previously he only got 4.0, and the memory up to 3200 MHz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I71ov8iiDP8

Ryzen is slowly getting better and better. Thank god there are people out there that don't write off an entire brand new architecture at launch.

He's basically getting an extra 100+Mhz overclock, and also doesn't realise the temp offset so his temps are good at 4.1Ghz.

longdi

Banned
What im annoyed with is how Intel didnt move an inch since Ryzen came out. Not even a free game bundle or something.

Top Bottom