• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Asturie

Been thinking about watching this but have read that is has crossovers with the other seasons. I've only seen the first season; will I miss much?

kirblar

Been thinking about watching this but have read that is has crossovers with the other seasons. I've only seen the first season; will I miss much?
No, and it actually helps to come into S5 right from S1 because they're using the same ghost rules this season after having avoided them for the past 3 seasons.

Asturie

Ok thanks. Will have to refresh myself on season 1 and watch this season. How were the other seasons btw? I watched a few episodes of season 2 and didn't really get into it but I only watched like two or three episodes.

kirblar

Ok thanks. Will have to refresh myself on season 1 and watch this season. How were the other seasons btw? I watched a few episodes of season 2 and didn't really get into it but I only watched like two or three episodes.
2 is fantastic, 3/4 are not great.

Monocle

2 is great, 3 has amazing characters but a disjointed plot (I love the whole thing though), 4 is OK and still worth watching if you're really into the series, but skippable if you're not.

Damn, I bet you're right. Kind of wish I hadn't read that.

I still hope it happens, because that would be an entertaining direction for John's character.

It's the most logical course of plot for his character. This season is very much about horror and tragedy and the way it's developing is setting the target through the roof.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the episode was good up until the ghost dinner party. It was just way too campy (not the good kind) and silly. It felt like a bunch of actors playing dress up, if that makes sense (Lily Rabe was great though).

I'm going to avoid reading any posts, but wanted to ask:

Have the last couple (or three - can't remember if there's been four or five total) been as boring as episode 2? Episode 2 gave me a Freak Show vibe and it wasn't appreciated.

I'm going to avoid reading any posts, but wanted to ask:

Have the last couple (or three - can't remember if there's been four or five total) been as boring as episode 2? Episode 2 gave me a Freak Show vibe and it wasn't appreciated.

Show is getting better and better,
Easily the best since season 2.

After Coven and then that final punch of Frealshow I said i'd never watch this series again. Episode 1 was interesting enough and its only getteing better from there.

Show is getting better and better,
Easily the best season 2.

After Coven and then that final punch of Frealshow I said i'd never watch this series again. Episode 1 was interesting enough and its only getteing better from there.

I haven't seen Season 3, but out of the ones I have seen the only season I've truly enjoyed was Season One, Murder House. It was fantastic.

I haven't seen Season 3, but out of the ones I have seen the only season I've truly enjoyed was Season One, Murder House. It was fantastic.

Depends on where this goes but right now it definitely has to potential to end up my favorite.
Murder House was all around good while Asylum started bad but had some great stuff.
Coven had literally no redeeming factor and freakshow started slow had a few decent episodes then suddenly someone thought "fuck the audience that sat through this crap."

Monocle

It's the most logical course of plot for his character. This season is very much about horror and tragedy and the way it's developing is setting the target through the roof.
It's going to be fun to watch this play out.

Depends on where this goes but right now it definitely has to potential to end up my favorite.
Murder House was all around good while Asylum started bad but had some great stuff.
Coven had literally no redeeming factor and freakshow started slow had a few decent episodes then suddenly someone thought "fuck the audience that sat through this crap."
Myrtle Snow though. The most delightful character in the entire series' history, by far. And you can't tell me that practically the entire cast, especially Lang and Bassett, didn't do outstanding work. Coven is overflowing with fantastic characters it had no idea what to do with. I really liked the ending though, apart from
the unfortunate fate of Misty.

Oh, and there was that one hunk with the awful mom. Mmmh. Season 100% redeemed by that bod tbh. Give him all the Emmys.

Jukeboxx93

Neo Member
Season 1 was solid. Season 2 is still my favorite. Season 3 only had 1 or 2 good moments. Season 4 was almost as good as season 2 for me. And season 5 is already pretty decent. Only time will tell, though.

Revolver

I wasn't particularly fond of the dinner party. It seemed like they were checking off facts about the killers they found on Wiki. I don't expect subtlety from AHS but that was a bit much. I would have rather seen more about the Chicken Coop Killer than the dinner party.

When the mom got her kid back, I couldn't believe she didn't call her husband even though he lives in the hotel. Or take him to the hospital to be checked out since she's a doctor. And she just forgot about her other kid altogether. She was coming off like that measles mom this episode.

Season 1 was good. It had some issues, some of which were only worse in other seasons.

Season 2 was the best one imo. It had some flaws but I felt that it was fairly coherent and I felt Kit walker, Lana Winters and Sister Jude's arcs were by far the best written characters. Sister Mary Eunice was also great.

Season 3 had a lot of great characters and it had my favorite Halloween episode. Madame Delphine is still the best character Kathy Bates has played on the show. With all of that said the show fell apart mid way. Fiona turned into an illogical character that was just Jessica Lange being Jessica Lange.

Season 4 didn't have a lot going for it. I wasn't too excited by the circus concept to begin with. There were a few good moments but I'd say the Edward Mordrake episodes and the Orphans episode were the must see episodes. I did like Dandy's character development arc but that was about it.

I wanted to love Asylum. I started watching it at my friend's once, liked the first couple of episodes, but didn't get continuing with it.

Then FX ran a marathon several months ago and I watched it all then.

It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great or really solid. It had its moments, but there was too much going on. If they had streamlined it a bit, perhaps gotten rid of the aliens and made it more interesting, it would've been better.

Murder House had me hooked from start to finish when I caught it on Blu-ray. I think I watched the entire season in 2 days. Great TV.

Freak Show was like watching paint dry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Myrtle Snow though.

"Any last words?"

"Just one. BALENCIAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also Frances Conroy isn't in this season? I feel like her and the realtor would've been amazing as a combo for an episode.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
When the mom got her kid back, I couldn't believe she didn't call her husband even though he lives in the hotel. Or take him to the hospital to be checked out since she's a doctor. And she just forgot about her other kid altogether. She was coming off like that measles mom this episode.

Same here. Then again, characters in AHS don't always (or even usually) behave like real people, so that's nothing new.

Monocle

"Any last words?"

"Just one. BALENCIAGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Also Frances Conroy isn't in this season? I feel like her and the realtor would've been amazing as a combo for an episode.
One of the most iconic moments I've ever witnessed.

I would love for her to make a cameo in Hotel, since for some bizarre reason she's not a season regular.

Nemesis_

One of the most iconic moments I've ever witnessed.

I would love for her to make a cameo in Hotel, since for some bizarre reason she's not a season regular.

I'm assuming Frances Conroy is busy with some weird comedy series that I've forgotten the name of.

I'd love a cameo though. Ryan should make it happen.

Slaythe

Season 5 IS rather awful to be honest.

With a cast like this it s downright criminal.

The writing is god awful. And the themes are not that interesting so far.

Pretty disappointing.

I liked season 1 2 and 4. I couldn't stand 3.

jrush64

Banned
I loved Coven and didnt even try to watch Freak Show. I'm definitely loving hotel though. The last episode was really good.

I just caught up, and I'm still ho-hum on this. After a good first episode, it's been a bit dull and plodding like Freak Show, albeit better.

The opening credits sequence is so good, but the show is nowhere near as creepy or scary.

I keep watching this series, but I can't say I've enjoyed it since Murder House. I still want to watch Coven as a completionist, but I don't know if I really should.

okno

This season is awful. Couldn't even finish the last episode. Massively disappointed by the whole thing :/

What does it say about the show that half the population are calling this the best season and the other half is saying it's god awful? lol

Monocle

What does it say about the show that half the population are calling this the best season and the other half is saying it's god awful? lol
That half of us can't recognize that this show got great again? I don't know, I can't relate to the ridiculous complaints I'm hearing. To me this season is unquestionably a massive step up from the last two. The acting, characters, overall plot, visual style (especially the set design), horror elements, and music are totally on point.

I still love Coven's characters though.

Monocle

There's actually deliberate structure this season, something that's been missing since S2.
That's the word I was looking for. Structure. The last couple seasons had a lot of random elements thrown together with no real organization. Hotel, like Murder House and Asylum, feels like it's telling a structured story.

kirblar

That's the word I was looking for. Structure. The last couple seasons had a lot of random elements thrown together with no real organization. Hotel, like Murder House and Asylum, feels like it's telling a structured story.
Murder house didn't until it did.

dcelw540

Season 5 IS rather awful to be honest.

With a cast like this it s downright criminal.

The writing is god awful. And the themes are not that interesting so far.

Pretty disappointing.

I liked season 1 2 and 4. I couldn't stand 3.

This season is awful. Couldn't even finish the last episode. Massively disappointed by the whole thing :/
I agree with these posts, I love Evan Peters best thing about this show.

That half of us can't recognize that this show got great again? I don't know, I can't relate to the ridiculous complaints I'm hearing. To me this season is unquestionably a massive step up from the last two. The acting, characters, overall plot, visual style (especially the set design), horror elements, and music are totally on point.

I still love Coven's characters though.
Okay let me say, the characters are all pretty shitty, they all have secrets and seems cryptic as hell. Also they are focusing on way to many characters they need to slim down or focus on just a few. The theme is vague, vampires and addiction. They don't really connect to well in my opinion. I will say music and gore is good this season. But that's pretty much it.

This episode is good. All the students are now vamps. I thought I spotted that boy from the commercial who was Peter Pan.

Edit: I'm not sure if the countess intended this to happen when she made that woman, but if so that's some masterful shit.

Top Bottom