• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Monocle

Damn, this is already so much more engaging than Freak Show, and I actually enjoyed Freak Show. Love the whole aesthetic, from the hotel to the outfits. Love the roles of the new and returning cast. Even Gaga delivered.

Fantastic premiere.

...she's engaged to Taylor Kinney, she doesn't really need Bomer tbh.
The first episode confirmed what we all knew already: Matt Bomer is hunky as fuck, and a fine addition to any blood orgy.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Is anyone pregnant yet? Because the two Ryan Murphy tropes are rape and pregnancy (often forced or accidental).

watch it be the guy junkie being impregnated from drilldo

j-wood

I think the IGN review nailed it. This show doesn't even attempt to ground itself with some realism anymore. That's why season 1 was the best, because the attempt was there.

Now I know we are talking about a horror show and sure, suspension of belief has to happen. I'm not talking about the show having
vampires
, that's fine.

But there isn't an attempt for realism with ANY of the characters anymore, and that just makes it mindless horror.

I think the IGN review nailed it. This show doesn't even attempt to ground itself with some realism anymore. That's why season 1 was the best, because the attempt was there.

Now I know we are talking about a horror show and sure, suspension of belief has to happen. I'm not talking about the show having
vampires
, that's fine.

But there isn't an attempt for realism with ANY of the characters anymore, and that just makes it mindless horror.

Season 2 was the best season and had almost nothing grounded in reality.

Really enjoyed it. This was my first AHS episode so I was expecting it to be scarier, but I still cringed at a couple of scenes.

I came in for Gaga but I'll be staying for these insane side characters. Also Gaga.

Nemesis_

It's easily the weirdest AHS I've seen yet.

The set is amazing and the whole atmosphere is beautifully executed. Gaga and Bomers introduction was awesome too. I just wish Gaga would put on some eye brows =/

Honestly though I don't know how to feel. I think I like this idea more than what I felt when I finished the first episode of Freak Show, but I really need to see more.

This could be really fantastic though. I love the characters and I love the ideas.

MrV4ltor

It's easily the weirdest AHS I've seen yet.

The set is amazing and the whole atmosphere is beautifully executed. Gaga and Bomers introduction was awesome too. I just wish Gaga would put on some eye brows =/

Honestly though I don't know how to feel. I think I like this idea more than what I felt when I finished the first episode of Freak Show, but I really need to see more.

This could be really fantastic though. I love the characters and I love the ideas.
Ryan asked for blonde hair, pale skin and bleached eyebrows, so it wasn't really her choice lol

Nemesis_

Chloe Sevigny's acting so far is noticeably poor tbh.

I'm so surprised she's back. In interviews after Asylum she said she was really disappointed that Shelley didn't have a bigger role than what she was. It seemed like she was really soured on the whole experience and I honestly wrote her off from ever returning again.

I'm sure she'll have her moments. Her character is noticeably more boring than Shelley was though.

I'm really keen to see how Sarah Paulson and Gaga play out. I really want them to shine in these roles. Paulson because her character has the opportunity to be so different and Gaga because, well, it's her first proper acting gig.

She didn't blow me away or anything on the premiere though. But it's so early on and she didn't really have all that much screen time.

Thought it was kind of cringe worthy. I think they're trying to recapture the feel of season 2, but they're trying too hard. And the CGI neck slash stuff is too cheesy. There's Gaga's amazing ass, so there's a plus for that. But I don't know, there wasn't a great character to grab onto in the opener. Maybe one will develop as the season goes. I'll stick for a couple more episodes, but I'm skeptical at this moment.

Taruranto

So we are doing vampires this year?

This was mostly underwhelming. Feels like Ryan Murphy put all his energy into Scream Queens.

Really liked this. Definitely love the whole vibe and aesthetic of the hotel. Really surreal and anything goes. The hotel feels like some weird, fucked up vampire dimension where everything is super heightened.

The orgy sequence was pretty much a riff on The Hunger's opening scene. Only filtered through Ryan Murphy's sensibility, so needless to say it was much more graphic and trashy. It was fun, energetic and filled with great visuals. Probably one of the best sequences of the series so far.

Joy Division, The Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus and She Wants Revenge. The music was largely on point. Shame about The Eagles, though.

I know the past few seasons have derailed pretty spectacularly (I didn't even finish Freakshow), but I hope they can keep this train on the tracks. I think it has the stuff to possibly best Asylum.

Bloodrage

Banned
Anyone complaining about "lack of realism" in AHS wants AHS to be something it's not. Plain and simple. Watch something else, like seasons 3 and 4, which were garbage, and basically American Humor Story.

Seasons 1 and 2 set the foundation for what we AHS fans wanted the show to keep being, AKA insane, gory horror. That's why they were the best seasons, especially Season 2.

Seasons 3 and 4 took on a completely different direction that made the show seem more funny than anything else. The horror that was in the first two seasons was gone, and they managed to deliver the two most shit seasons of any TV show I've ever watched two years in a row. They literally dumbed down everything that made AHS great. I'm not sure if they were trying to appeal to new fans or something, but it was cringeworthy stuff.

Hotel's premiere puts AHS back on track. The bad reviews, if they do exist, only prove one thing: AHS is still too much for most people, to a point where they just don't get it and want it to be tamer. I remember a lot of concern for the first two seasons, like people questioning how this shit was on a channel like FX, all of which was watered down the last two seasons, AKA the two worst.

Hotel's premiere is pretty much on par with S1 and S2. It needs to stay like this if it wants to be AHS again.

It did a little bit yeah. You had characters that were "normal" or trying to be normal.

I did say almost :p

Though I don't think anyone acted more normal than the cop and his family in this first episode. I'm predicting he finds out his child is now some sort of vampire and is going to live forever in the hotel and he becomes a vampire too.

B-Dex

The thing that disturbed me the most is Kathy Bates looks like my mother. So that cranks the creep factor up 10 fold for me.

kirblar

I actually liked this and the very different vibe a lot.

The issue with Coven/Freak Show (as pointed out elsewhere) was that they started doing this bizarre X-Men-style gay/minority rights thing with them that was radically out of touch with what the show was good at.

Having the focus be a location, rather than people, is likely a big deal here- if the most important thing is the house/asylum/hotel, it makes sure the people are always smaller parts of a larger whole.

Finalow

lady gaga replaced Jessica Lange? Are you fucking serious, lol.

removing Jessica Lange (which is honestly good for her) was enough to convince me to drop this crap, now gaga becoming the ''lead'' is an overkill.

removing Jessica Lange (which is honestly good for her) was enough to convince me to drop this crap, now gaga coming it's an overkill.

Lange's departure didn't have to do with Gaga's addition.

Gaga's obviously no Jessica Lange, but you can't deny she was perfect for the Countess role. Just a stoic cold temptress with hidden crazy. I always felt that Gaga would make for a classic villain, so far the show's proving me right.

Corpsepyre

Banned
First episode since episode 3 of Asylum, and I liked it. Dropped the show back in season 2 because of the LETS PUT EVERYTHING IN THERE! crap, and it pissed me off. Here though, even though I had no idea what was going on, the aesthetic of the show was quite pleasing to the eye and then some. Gore was top notch as well.

Might just sit through this season.

Monocle

Gaga's obviously no Jessica Lange, but you can't deny she was perfect for the Countess role. Just a stoic cold temptress with hidden crazy. I always felt that Gaga would make for a classic villain, so far the show's proving me right.
Yep, excellent casting. I'm already sold on her character.

Really not impressed.
All style, no substance.
At least it can't be worse than Freakshow.
"No substance"? What do you call all that setup for the main characters' storylines? You seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining, while ignoring the narrative content of the episode. Were you expecting a complete story arc in the premiere?

Finalow

that quote speed.

I didn't write anything about Lange's departure having to do something with gaga's addition. just how huge of a quality drop that is. and it's hilarious because the series was already quite fucking bad. I can't deny that she's perfect at being an awful actress, yes.

Monocle

that quote speed.

I didn't write anything about Lange's departure having to do something with gaga's addition. just how huge of a quality drop that is. and it's hilarious because the series was already quite fucking bad. I can't deny that she's perfect at being an awful actress, yes.
Speak for yourself. S4 S5 has the best opening episode of the series.

kirblar

removing Jessica Lange (which is honestly good for her) was enough to convince me to drop this crap, now gaga becoming the ''lead'' is an overkill.
Lange was a drag on the show while they were pushing her as the lead in S3/4. Not her fault- she was just retreading similar ground because they weren't doing anything different enough with her characters. If/when she comes back in a supporting role, I suspect it'll be a much better situation.

Astral Dog

Damn, this is already so much more engaging than Freak Show, and I actually enjoyed Freak Show. Love the whole aesthetic, from the hotel to the outfits. Love the roles of the new and returning cast. Even Gaga delivered.

Fantastic premiere.

The first episode confirmed what we all knew already: Matt Bomer is hunky as fuck, and a fine addition to any blood orgy.

They always get the aesthetic right, is the other things that can become a mess, who knows maybe Gaga will make the season :p
now to watch

B-Dex

Ratings looking hot. Came 2nd to Empire. Beat 3rd place by double though. Should be interesting once 3 day numbers roll out.

Finalow

Speak for yourself. S4 has the best opening episode of the series.
even if that's true (I hardly remember the episode) I don't see how it changes the fact that S4 was really really bad.

Lange was a drag on the show while they were pushing her as the lead in S3/4. Not her fault- she was just retreading similar ground because they weren't doing anything different enough with her characters. If/when she comes back in a supporting role, I suspect it'll be a much better situation.
I don't think she's coming back? To me it looks like she's out for good from this show.
the problem there is more about who writes her character than the role of it, but I agree that seeing her in a different role would have been nice.

Partition

Banned
Season 2 was the best season and had almost nothing grounded in reality.

I think he means realistic characters, not necessarily the environment. AHS has never been realistic in any sense story wise.... but the characters become more like tacky cartoons with every season. No one has an interesting, relatable story or is worth giving a damn about anymore. Compare Jude and Lana to the past seasons and the decline is clear.

Monocle

They always get the aesthetic right, is the other things that can become a mess, who knows maybe Gaga will make the season :p
now to watch
I'm sure the writers will drop the ball on some storylines, because they always do, but AHS can always be counted on for entertaining characters and twists. The thing I love most about the show is how every season has a macabre atmosphere with an inviting sense of theatricality. I don't do brutal mean-spirited horror, but add a dash of camp and a heightened style and I'm there. That's the key. AHS works for me because it's darkly ridiculous. Without the black humor and ironic winks in the midst of all the misfortune and gore, the show would be nothing but a gloomy tasteless shock piece.

In a way, the style is the substance if you're watching for the same reasons I am. Sure, a good cohesive story with a satisfying payoff to every plot strand would be nice, but to me it's not absolutely necessary. I watch AHS to enjoy the mood and style, and to see outlandish characters do their thing. On those counts, last night's episode delivered big time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

What is this realism you're talking about and where was it in season 1?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just noticed AHS seasons line up alphabetically as they would number wise

American Horror Story
American Horror Story Asylum
American Horror Story Coven
American Horror Story Freakshow
American Horror Story Hotel

dat coincidence

My one gripe with the episode is that those girls witnessed a demon erupt out of their hotel bed, and then were like "fine we'll take another room" and then one of them resorts to LAY ON THE NEW BED as if they weren't fucking traumatized by something happening 2 minutes prior.

My one gripe with the episode is that those girls witnessed a demon erupt out of their hotel bed, and then were like "fine we'll take another room" and then one of them resorts to LAY ON THE NEW BED as if they weren't fucking traumatized by something happening 2 minutes prior.

Yeah, pretty much. They really weren't believable at all. Neither was drill victim tbh.

I just noticed AHS seasons line up alphabetically as they would number wise

American Horror Story
American Horror Story Asylum
American Horror Story Coven
American Horror Story Freakshow
American Horror Story Hotel

dat coincidence

Actually, ASH Season 1 is called Murder House, so...

Just watched it.

Sincerely the best first episode this serie has. If the show keeps this quality, we may be getting the best AHS season yet. (And, at worse, the best since Asylum... not that it would be hard tbh)

Astral Dog

Just watched it.

Sincerely the best first episode this serie has. If the show keeps this quality, we may be getting the best AHS season yet. (And, at worse, the best since Asylum... not that it would be hard tbh)

hope so!, Asylum was the best, i almost watched all of that season, Freakshow had some good episodes and atmosphere, Coven i could not get into at all, Murder House had that cute actor that was stabbed.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just watched it and loved it. Shades of season 2 with a bunch of weird, even incoherent bullshit thrown at the wall. But thats what I want from AHS lol.

I thought Gaga was fine, good even. Its the classic cold creepy "countess" role and I thought she pulled it off great.

Also, was that an ass double or does she just have an amazing ass? Not even sorry for the perviness tbh, that ass was outstanding :p

Actually, ASH Season 1 is called Murder House, so...

See this is why nobody likes Cyclops :(

Replicant

I cry all the time when I masturbate, seemed realistic to me.

I personally love that towel that never drops down or torn while the hot dad was struggling against the assailant. It seems to be a feature in horror story. Until Dawn also features the same ever-lasting towel.

Rhaknar

I forgot to mention, the music was fantastic, i hope it continues throughout the season

Breaks my heart that Ratsky didnt like it. Maybe if Gaga had a tentacle in her mouth it would be more up his alley. Oh well :(

Revolver

I'd pretty much lost interest in this show after the last couple of seasons but the premier kind of pulled me back in. I'm a sucker for gothy vampire stuff so as soon as I heard the first strains of Sisters of Mercy I was hooked. Matter of fact, the music was pretty on point from the Sisters to She Wants Revenge to Bauhaus. Gaga and Bomer kind of reminded me of Deneuve and Bowie in The Hunger. A bloodsucking couple out trolling for victims. I just hope the show doesn't start out promising and then go completely boring like the last two seasons. Also, poor Schmidt. Did not expect to see him on the show.

Top Bottom