• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Out of curiosity, I just started Coven (s3) and have yet to start S4 obviously. Why are they worse?

coven starts great with an interesting setting and good characters (even if it departs from the horror setting) but towards the end it got clear that the writers didn't know how to progress everything in a decent way and turned to shit
Season 4 was just a bore aside from one or two characters

liquidtmd

Banned
coven starts great with an interesting setting and good characters (even if it departs from the horror setting) but towards the end it got clear that the writers didn't know how to progress everything in a decent way and turned to shit
Season 4 was just a bore aside from one or two characters

Nails it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kind surprised noone is remarking that its basically Tony Scott's The Hunger (1983), right down to the Bauhaus and fangless vampirism.

lady gaga replaced Jessica Lange? Are you fucking serious, lol.

removing Jessica Lange (which is honestly good for her) was enough to convince me to drop this crap, now gaga becoming the ''lead'' is an overkill.

No one replaced anyone. Lange left of her own accord. Get off your high horse.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Holy shit
just watching what woman want and it has sarah paulson in it
000WWW_Sarah_Paulson_003.jpg

does she not age!? this film was 15 years ago

Hagi

Man this was weird as fuck but unf gaga was fantastic. Her scenes were the best, not really interested in the policeman and his Heavy Rain style story.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought Gaga was fine. Her role doesn't seem too demanding (thus far) so perhaps Ryan Murphy is writing to her "strengths" as an actress.

Was ok, feel better about it than the other seasons. Gaga wasn't so bad, but her blonde eyebrows were distracting as hell. It made it seem like she had no eyebrows, so most scenes I was focused on that. Then they did the flashback to 94 with brown dyed brows and it "eased" my mind lol.

Yea that scene with Schmidt and the drill was overdone and unneeded. Focused on it way too long. I was actually ok with it at first because
I figured maybe Paulson's death had to do with being violated with the same dildo or something to do with homosexuals
but neither turned out to be true and it was just a random scene.

FafaFooey

I don't like how the first episode was so incredibly in your face. Not only with the rape stuff, but having creepy children roam the far end of a hotel hallway within the first 10 minutes.. I mean come on, it doesn't get any more cliche and contrived than that. So far it seems to go the "hotel haunted by former guests" route and I expected something more original but I guess I shouldn't judge after only 1 episode.

The show seems so have moved from creepy and eerie to full blown gore and shock.

Nemesis_

Thinking back, I wonder if "that thing in room 33" or whatever is actually Constance's fourth child that we never saw in Murder House.

It's name is Bartholomew apparently and I feel like that fits with the name of that thing in the Harmon's basement (Beauregard)

But maybe I'm looking into it too much

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Thinking back, I wonder if "that thing in room 33" or whatever is actually Constance's fourth child that we never saw in Murder House.

Nah, we saw the kid in a rocking chair at the end of Season 1 with Constance going "oh what am I going to do with you" after he killed the babysitter.

Nemesis_

Nah, we saw the kid in a rocking chair at the end of Season 1 with Constance going "oh what am I going to do with you" after he killed the babysitter.

But before that happened she spoke to Vivienne about how her womb was cursed and she had four children didn't we? And all we saw was Beau, Tate and Adelaide?

I know that it was planned to be an albino who appeared in promo shots but never actually made the final cut. But it left an interesting open ended plot they could resolve in this season.

Or it'll be something similarly stupid like Donovan was adopted and was actually the Harmon baby.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't recall that. If anything I recall the child of the original owners of "Murder House" being stolen and killed or something before being dumped back on the house.

I'd actually like to see what the kid from Season 1 is up to, but wasn't Season 1 in 2010 or so and this season is 2012? 2015? Before diving into the past? Seems like it'd be too short a time-frame to be dumping the kid in here.

Though, I'll be disappointed if the dog's death is the only "link" they do with season 1, especially with how Murphy said all the seasons are supposedly connected.

Yea that scene with Schmidt and the drill was overdone and unneeded. Focused on it way too long. I was actually ok with it at first because
I figured maybe Paulson's death had to do with being violated with the same dildo or something to do with homosexuals
but neither turned out to be true and it was just a random scene.

Well, the thing with the weird dildo is called the "Addiction Demon" so it seems that Murphy is trying to recreate the hype around Rubberman from season 1. I guess we'll see more of him (it?) in the coming episodes.

doby

I don't like how the first episode was so incredibly in your face. Not only with the rape stuff, but having creepy children roam the far end of a hotel hallway within the first 10 minutes.. I mean come on, it doesn't get any more cliche and contrived than that. So far it seems to go the "hotel haunted by former guests" route and I expected something more original but I guess I shouldn't judge after only 1 episode.

The show seems so have moved from creepy and eerie to full blown gore and shock.

I agree. It felt so try-hard. Also it tried to introduce too many things instead of gently easing you into the new setting and characters.

I have to admit, I've got a problem with lady gaga acting. I can't get past the fact she's a pop star trying to act. Her character plays up to her pop star persona as well, it doesn't even try separating the two. I'd have more faith if she'd requested being credited by her real name and wasn't blonde I guess. Just simple things to help me forget. Then again I guess the show has no interest in lady gaga not being lady gaga. Why's she even there anyway? It's really uncalled for.

I didnt like the style of the hotel and hate the fact it's set in the modern day. When I first heard about the hotel setting I pictured it being in the 1980s.

All in all a pretty disappointing first outing for me. I'm a huge fan of the previous seasons too, Asylum being my favorite.

And that rape scene was just horrible. If that's setting the tone for this season then I'm out.

xJavonta

Banned
Will give the second episode a try but tbh if this fucked up tone keeps up I'm out. Not to mention Taissa Farmiga and Jessica Lange aren't in this season. Ridiculous.

But they kept that goofy ass Evan Peters kid. Ugh.

TheYanger

Will give the second episode a try but tbh if this fucked up tone keeps up I'm out. Not to mention Taissa Farmiga and Jessica Lange aren't in this season. Ridiculous.

But they kept that goofy ass Evan Peters kid. Ugh.

I mean, Taissa was only in 2 of the seasons in the first place.

I definitely didn't like this first episode, vampires are probably the most boring thing they could have ever gone with. That said I never saw Freak Show due to some real life stuff (love AHS just never saw S4) so I'm watching that on Netflix, and it seems WAY better than everyone gave it credit for. I wish Twisty was in it more but like, this feels a lot LESS random and more focused than every other season except Murder House. I've got 2 episodes left and it hasn't gone off the rails or anything like Asylum and Coven both did.

xJavonta

Banned

I definitely didn't like this first episode, vampires are probably the most boring thing they could have ever gone with. That said I never saw Freak Show due to some real life stuff (love AHS just never saw S4) so I'm watching that on Netflix, and it seems WAY better than everyone gave it credit for. I wish Twisty was in it more but like, this feels a lot LESS random and more focused than every other season except Murder House. I've got 2 episodes left and it hasn't gone off the rails or anything like Asylum and Coven both did.
True but her roles were done SO well.

I wasn't really a Freak Show fan. Its premiere was much better than this one's but it didn't hook me enough to stay. I think I still prefer Coven over all of them, and Asylum is a super super close second.

Out of curiosity, I just started Coven (s3) and have yet to start S4 obviously. Why are they worse?

Coven is just a very straightforward story that gets super boring fast (i.e. none of the mystery and intrigue of the first two season, especially disappointing coming off of Asylum), and Freakshow isn't even horror, more like "lots of gross crime by shitty people"

TheYanger

I'm baffled at the Asylum love, I recall the thread here just being "What the fuck are they even doing" after like episode 8 or 9 of that show. There were brilliant aspects but HOLY SHIT it went off the rails hard. Everything with aliens and shit was fucking awful. Only Bloodyface saved anything near the end.

Also only Murderhouse ever felt like 'horror' and that ended halfway through easily. Asylum wasn't scary at all, Twisty was far scarier, that clown was fucking terrifying.

Meowster

Taissa was pretty horrible in Coven so I am just fine with her being gone tbh.

Nemesis_

I don't recall that. If anything I recall the child of the original owners of "Murder House" being stolen and killed or something before being dumped back on the house.

I'd actually like to see what the kid from Season 1 is up to, but wasn't Season 1 in 2010 or so and this season is 2012? 2015? Before diving into the past? Seems like it'd be too short a time-frame to be dumping the kid in here.

Though, I'll be disappointed if the dog's death is the only "link" they do with season 1, especially with how Murphy said all the seasons are supposedly connected.

Ryan said that there would be some very surprising people checking into the Hotel. I wonder if he'll keep to his word. I doubt it.

Especially since he's so bad at keeping secrets. Stevie Nicks would've been a great surprise (no matter how poorly executed) in Coven.

I'd be really surprised if any of the Harmon family don't appear.

I briefly looked at the previews for season 3 and 4 and felt that the show would falter. Sucks to get reinforcement that my initial feeling is true :/ season 1 has been great, almost done it though.

Seriously, while 3 and 4 aren't the best from a narrative perspective they have some pretty fantastic characters. Especially 3. Just don't expect an ending as conclusive as 2.

spuckthew

My girlfriend likes Murder House the best, but I prefer Asylum (MH a close second). Going by the first episode, we both agree this could be at least on par with those first two seasons. If it improves, it could be the best season yet.

Thoroughly enjoyed episode 1 and am excited for the next episode.

I agree. It felt so try-hard. Also it tried to introduce too many things instead of gently easing you into the new setting and characters.

I have to admit, I've got a problem with lady gaga acting. I can't get past the fact she's a pop star trying to act. Her character plays up to her pop star persona as well, it doesn't even try separating the two. I'd have more faith if she'd requested being credited by her real name and wasn't blonde I guess. Just simple things to help me forget. Then again I guess the show has no interest in lady gaga not being lady gaga. Why's she even there anyway? It's really uncalled for.

I didnt like the style of the hotel and hate the fact it's set in the modern day. When I first heard about the hotel setting I pictured it being in the 1980s.

All in all a pretty disappointing first outing for me. I'm a huge fan of the previous seasons too, Asylum being my favorite.

And that rape scene was just horrible. If that's setting the tone for this season then I'm out.

I kinda like that Gaga's character isn't that different from the actual person. Adds a grandiose element to her presence. If she was someone lesser then it would be a negative distraction, but she's such a larger-than-life star as it is that I end up hanging on to every word she says. If it was Britney or Katy Perry or something then I'd be turned off completely

Matt_

It's name is Bartholomew apparently and I feel like that fits with the name of that thing in the Harmon's basement (Beauregard)

But maybe I'm looking into it too much

when I met up with my friends that watched this one of them was adamant that the kid was going to turn up and read out an article the said as much
not sure where she got it from, or where the info originated

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I liked the first season a lot. The characters were easy to like. I liked Coven too. I started Asylum, but haven't finished it. I ignored Freakshow, but I was going to watch it at some point. It's actually sad seeing so many people disliked it here.

I started the first episode of Hotel, but I turned it off when they started the cop bit.

I wish they'd stick to making it seem more like the first season. They're getting the cast, but does anyone think it's more of a bad omen? Now it's gonna be more like getting monsters and stuff on the set than developing a scary plot.

I'm sorry, a Shining spoof is too cheap to use. To me, that shows they weren't very creative in making the scene.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The best thing about the premiere was the sets, and by extension, the atmosphere. It was all very well done. The hotel and its residents have a lot of style and flair, and I hope that that remains consistent throughout the season.

Nemesis_

The best thing about the premiere was the sets, and by extension, the atmosphere. It was all very well done. The hotel and its residents have a lot of style and flair, and I hope that that remains consistent throughout the season.

Yeah I completely agree. I have higher than usual hopes for this season because of how it was all executed stylistically. 😢

drotahorror

I felt like S4 had all of those things as well though. Interesting and diverse characters, the carnival setting etc.

Bladenic

I enjoyed the premiere, but I think it's because I've dropped all pretense of this show being a good show. It's trashy, shocking, "what's the craziest, grotesque, weird and sexual shit we can come up with" TV. It's better to just to just enjoy it as the show that it is rather than try and think about it. Of course, Coven was still completely awful and Freak Show just a complete bore.

Anyway, I will say that the premiere was, I think, perhaps the weakest acted premiere of the show since Murder House (Connie Britton was visibly out of her element, Taissa sucks, Dylan isn't great). I was only feeling Sarah Paulson and the actress who plays Marcy. Kathy Bates is good but I kind of find her character boring so far.

Gaga was decent. I will say it's interesting that Murphy even said they're going for a silent era kind of thing with her, that's definitely Gaga's strength like looks and whatnot. That said her dialogue delivery wasn't awful, it was just kinda whatever or okay.

Chloe Sevigny was a notable misstep IMO. She didn't have much screen time but she or at least her character seemed notably weak.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I felt like S4 had all of those things as well though. Interesting and diverse characters, the carnival setting etc.

The carnival setting was cool, for sure, but I thought all the characters sucked besides Twisty, Dandy, and the twins. The rest were either lazy variations of previous AHS characters or bland stock characters.

The carnival setting was cool, for sure, but I thought all the characters sucked besides Twisty, Dandy, and the twins. The rest were either lazy variations of previous AHS characters or bland stock characters.

This is pretty much it. Dandy didn't get enough screen time because of the other subplot of selling off dead freak bodies. That story line was really boring for me. Too much signing and not enough of what made that season good was actually in the episodes. I still liked it better than coven. I also enjoyed the homage to season 2.

NeoROCK

Holy shit
just watching what woman want and it has sarah paulson in it

does she not age!? this film was 15 years ago

Botox, not genetics.

and the thing that kind of bores me about this show now is the actors. I think they should completely re-haul the cast. Not because they're bad, you just gotta freshen it up sometimes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
and the thing that kind of bores me about this show now is the actors. I think they should completely re-haul the cast. Not because they're bad, you just gotta freshen it up sometimes.

I think so too, but unfortunately Murphy is too in love with the idea for that to ever happen.

kirblar

I'm kinda dreading Evan Peters's appearance for that reason. All the others are in roles that don't really play off their previous characters, but he's already had a lot of overlap in his.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode tonight:

Chutes and Ladders

Fashion designer Will Drake spruces up the Hotel Cortez; a model gets the attention of the Countess; and John learns about the hotel's first owner.

Nemesis_

I really don't get the "rehash" vibe from Evan Peters character at all.

But I also get the feeling I won't find him very believable or menacing in the role. Will be keen to see how it plays out.

Top Bottom