• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: Hotel |OT| Uh oh! There was a monster in my bed!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also,

Is she the same realtor as S1?

Yup. The dog reference makes it dead obvious.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Murphy, you bastard!

;_____;

RIP

SY40pZc.png

Thewonandonly

I was really impressed with it and I liked it a lot. Coming in I had no expectations for it at all coming off s1 and s2, but this opening was really good. It was gory and scary and left a lot of open plot holes for them to fill. Hopefully they don't have two many and leave a lot open aka s2. Anyway hopefully optimistic going forward that it will stay good.

The only bad thing is that it was really awkward to watch with my mom. I mean what the hell am I sapose to do during the drilldo scene. This is coming from someone who watches game of thrones with there mom but the rape scene was a little much.
Edit: also reading about how amazing gaga's ass was made me a little sad I went to the bathroom for that scene for oblivious reasons.

My dad, who watched and enjoyed the last two seasons, thought that the interplay of sex and violence was just too much for him. He got real antsy and uncomfortable at the scene where Lady Gaga and Matt Bomer went to town on that couple.

He said he's gonna skip out on this season.

I liked it well enough by the end, though. The first season has been my favorite out of all so far, however.

My one gripe with the episode is that those girls witnessed a demon erupt out of their hotel bed, and then were like "fine we'll take another room" and then one of them resorts to LAY ON THE NEW BED as if they weren't fucking traumatized by something happening 2 minutes prior.

This was actually my only issue, but it was at the beginning so it was forgotten quickly.

I'd pretty much lost interest in this show after the last couple of seasons but the premier kind of pulled me back in. I'm a sucker for gothy vampire stuff so as soon as I heard the first strains of Sisters of Mercy I was hooked. Matter of fact, the music was pretty on point from the Sisters to She Wants Revenge to Bauhaus. Gaga and Bomer kind of reminded me of Deneuve and Bowie in The Hunger. A bloodsucking couple out trolling for victims. I just hope the show doesn't start out promising and then go completely boring like the last two seasons. Also, poor Schmidt. Did not expect to see him on the show.

I hope they keep using old Goth tracks throughout the season. It's great to hear that stuff and it really adds to the atmosphere. I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed the way that sequence echoed The Hunger. Really cool.

Man, I'm so glad nobody said fuck or showed a nipple in that blood bath kill orgy on the bed or said "shit" during the drilldo anal rape scene. Thank god for the TV censors, protecting children!

I just can't get over how weird we are about censors in this country...

I was very pleasantly surprised with this premiere, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Here's hoping this will continue to be good and put bad memories of Freak Show's horribleness out of my mind.

Nemesis_

Gaga and Bomers introduction was truly fantastic. The music, the way it plays out. I really love it. I know I said it before but the more I think about the premiere the more I love how great that whole sequence was.

Really think it's one of my favourite moments from the entire series.

Gaga and Bomers introduction was truly fantastic. The music, the way it plays out. I really love it. I know I said it before but the more I think about the premiere the more I love how great that whole sequence was.

True. That was the best possible introduction to her character, since everyone was waiting for her to pop up. The fact that the first thing she does is do a line. LOL

T.O.P

Banned
Just watched it and apart from Gaga's introduction and Matt Bomer's ass it was my least favourite opening from this series, on par with Freakshow

I'll try to stick around tho...

So tired of vampires, it's just like zombies. So boring. I almost wanted to stop watching, as soon as I saw them watching Nosferatu I knew it and wanted to stop watching. They're also setting up a lot of the plot but I doubt they're going to follow up on most of it or add substance to the many just like the previous shows. :/ I like some of the hotel stuff but eh, not feeling the vampire/Gaga stuff.

Just watched some of it. Difficult to stomach the rape scene. Was thinking how the hell is this on normal TV? ( and come on, who doesn't have cable these days? cable is normal TV ). Definitely reminded me of the scene in Se7en but this time they actually showed it happening. Not as brutal as what was depicted in Se7en though. Thankfully. Which is odd to say even.

Show has potential for sure. I just hope they leave the shit like what happened above for the shock value of a premiere.

Monocle

Man, I'm so glad nobody said fuck or showed a nipple in that blood bath kill orgy on the bed or said "shit" during the drilldo anal rape scene. Thank god for the TV censors, protecting children!

I just can't get over how weird we are about censors in this country...
It's a scientific fact that monster-on-man anal violation with a big gleaming drilldo and pulpy flesh-ripping sounds is far less traumatic to children than a glimpse of a female areola. IT JUST MAKES SENSE OK?

Reminds me of Bryan Fuller's story about Hannibal Season 1 Episode 5, where they were allowed to show people with their backs flayed wide open, but the buttcracks were a no-no, so they censored them by filling them up with blood. Then everything was A-OK! This is a thing that actually happened.

Any of you guys saw the Cartoon Network shoutout with pictures of Greg (Steven Universe), Finn (Adventure Time) and Clarence at the end of the episode, in the daughter's room? :)

It's a scientific fact that monster-on-man anal violation with a big gleaming drilldo and pulpy flesh-ripping sounds is far less traumatic to children than a glimpse of a female areola. IT JUST MAKES SENSE OK?

Reminds me of Bryan Fuller's story about Hannibal Season 1 Episode 5, where they were allowed to show people with their backs flayed wide open, but the buttcracks were a no-no, so they censored them by filling them up with blood. Then everything was A-OK! This is a thing that actually happened.

SzrOH9m.gif

Shit drives me crazy. I love how the first episode,
when the girl bleed to death naked in the bed, her corpse had to perfectly cover her nipples...
. I kind of wish the creators would say fuck it and just do it only to have the censors be like, "Sorry no nipple in the death orgy!".

TV is dead anyways, probably a good time to rethink the censorship thing.

Traditional TV as in picking up the remote and seeing what is on is fading fast. Which is what censors protect from, kids just turning on the TV and seeing a nipple. There are so many alternatives now with parental controls that those worries should start becoming obsolete.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I thought the gratuitous violence and sex of the Gaga/Boomer/Party of 4 scene was boring, actually. I feel like it's only purpose is to generate buzz.

The rest of it seems okay. The kid plot seems a bit weird for now, but I imagine something went on with the cop years ago.

drotahorror

I'm bailing out at the first sign of an out-of-place musical number.

Those are the freaking WORST. I hated that song part in season 2 the most.

Anyways, the pilot seemed alright. Only problem is it seems like they're trying way too hard to be random and horror. I don't really know how to word it really but something just isn't right. The coolest part I thought was that secret room with all the kinapped kids playing games. I thought that was pretty neat.

Kind of off topic but I saw a preview for some show called "Manhattan" and it looks bonkers.

Chloe Sevigny's acting so far is noticeably poor tbh.

I thought she was pretty convincing and I was surprised with her delivery to be honest.

Koriandrr

TV is dead anyways

Not really. TV s doing better than ever, the fact that you pirate it doesn't mean it's not doing well. The means to watch it may have changed, but people watch TV now more than ever.

I actually liked the song in the pilot... ._.
So.. is Lady Gaga
a vampire?

Nemesis_

I actually liked the song in the pilot... ._.
So.. is Lady Gaga
a vampire?

They'll go into what she is later on. She is, kind of, but they're doing their own version of the myth/story/trope. It's why her and Matt Bomer were wearing those studded gloves.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Murphy, you bastard!

;_____;

RIP

Good. Ugly rat bastard should've been offed seasons ago.

Nemesis_ said:
They'll go into what she is later on. She is, kind of, but they're doing their own version of the myth/story/trope. It's why her and Matt Bomer were wearing those studded gloves.

Yeah, but Donovan/Bomer wasn't a vampire, he was a junkie and already dead. So uh... not sure how Gaga converted him. Either way, more naked Matt Bomer for me~ <3

...she's engaged to Taylor Kinney, she doesn't really need Bomer tbh.

And Bomer is gay-ly married. So, he doesn't need Gaga either... your point?

Nemesis_

Yeah, but Donovan/Bomer wasn't a vampire, he was a junkie and already dead. So uh... not sure how Gaga converted him. Either way, more naked Matt Bomer for me~ <3

They'll explain it in the next two episodes but if you need to know it's basically
some kind of blood virus that makes them need to feed on blood

Which means it's transmissible I would assume.

I'm not entirely familiar with vampire lore but I didn't think it was anything as "scientific" as that. I could be wrong.

Sirenja

Banned

Hugh Dancy explained the buttcrack censorship here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUg30FqIyF0

I found the first episode to be pretty boring - maybe the next one will be better.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Love Gaga and her looks slayed but... not sure about her acting in the first episode. What on EARTH was that bizarre accent she was putting on? Very distracting. I'm gonna need her to step her game up if she wants that Jessica Lange Emmy.

Also, Matt Boner looked amazing.

That whole scene was fantastic and that song choice was great. Never heard the band before but had to check them out as I really enjoyed it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
...that Kinney is hotter than Bomer? :p

Oh no you didn'. Gurl, hold my purse. I'm about to drop this foo'.

Nemesis_ said:
Which means it's transmissible I would assume

Interesting. Should make a interesting story bit for the season. I'm already thinking this season is MILES ahead of the previous 4 because it feels like each character has a backstory so far. We'll see if they can keep up with these plots and making time for each of them instead of doing the normal season thing where they throw shit at the alls and see what sticks (which generally always is: nothing).

It's a shame Lange is gone, but it feels like without Lange Ryan Murphy actually has to make CHARACTERS besides "a stone-cold bitch to everyone."

Monocle

SzrOH9m.gif

Shit drives me crazy. I love how the first episode,
when the girl bleed to death naked in the bed, her corpse had to perfectly cover her nipples...
. I kind of wish the creators would say fuck it and just do it only to have the censors be like, "Sorry no nipple in the death orgy!".
American TV standards make no sense.

TV is dead anyways, probably a good time to rethink the censorship thing.
Whoa, can't agree there. Breaking Bad just happened. Hannibal just happened. TV has never been better.

Skip S3/4.

Trust us.
Bad advice. They're worth watching. You wouldn't really deny someone the chance to meet Myrtle Snow, would you? I was delighted by S3 characters. And actually its whole theme and aesthetic. Also, S4 had its moments. Lange is always entertaining, and the twins were cool.

Hugh Dancy explained the buttcrack censorship here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUg30FqIyF0
Thanks, I hadn't seen that interview.

...that Kinney is hotter than Bomer? :p
muEe8Sc.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm still shocked that FX got away with a scene involving a fleshy demon, a strap on drilldo, furious humping, and a screaming man...and then just a few minutes later they had to glue Lady Gaga's hair to her breasts so as to avoid any signs of her nipples. lol

MrV4ltor

Love Gaga and her looks slayed but... not sure about her acting in the first episode. What on EARTH was that bizarre accent she was putting on? Very distracting. I'm gonna need her to step her game up if she wants that Jessica Lange Emmy.

Also, Matt Boner looked amazing.
1) It's a transatlantic accent that actors in the 40s used to speak in as some kind of universal form of english.
2) I don't think she's trying or expecting to win an Emmy for this. She just enjoys the show and wanted to be part of it. When Jimmy Fallon praised her acting on his show she was like "Let's not jump the gun".

Nemesis_

Ryan Murphy did an interview with Entertainment Weekly about the premiere and with a few teases of what's to come with the later episodes.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/08/american-horror-story-hotel-ryan-murphy-checking-in

Gaga’s introduction was incredible. Between the penthouse and the cemetery and the foursome, what was it like shooting all that?

Some critics and some people have written about Gaga that her introduction is almost like she’s in a silent movie. As you will see, that’s the whole f—ing point. We establish by episode 2 or 3 what year she was born and her story is very much wrapped into the silent film culture of early Los Angeles. So I think it was giving people a foreshadowing of what her character is about.

It was a very hard sequence to shoot. It took a really long time over several locations and Gaga’s first day she dropped the veil and there she was! She was such a great pro about it. It’s one of my favorite things I’ve personally ever directed on the show because I like telling that whole story with no dialogue. But that was the entire point: We’re setting up a silent world to come.

Is the Ten Commandments Killer tied to The Countess?
Yeah, everyone is tied to the Ten Commandments Killer. The great fun is, “Who among them is that killer?” It’s obviously someone who’s staying in the hotel.

What can you say about episode 2, “Chutes and Ladders”?
Episode 2 takes you deeper into the mythology of the characters and you get to meet some more people. You get to meet Mr. March who is Evan Peters. I think this is Evan’s best role we’ve ever done. Usually Evan is the tortured good guy or the tortured ingénue. But this year we decided to go a very different route and just make him perhaps the worst human being to have ever lived. So he’s the bad guy and you get to really meet him and how he built the hotel. It’s loosely inspired by HH Holmes and that hotel of horrors he made.

It gets into the romantic exploits of Gaga and Matt Bomer. You also get to meet Finn Wittrock’s character who is a tortured crystal meth-using male model, so that’s always fun. You meet Naomi Campbell who’s brilliant and hilarious. She plays a bored Vogue magazine editor.

Also, in the second episode, is an amazing sequence where we get to see Gaga’s character in Studio 54 in the late ‘70s. The hilarious thing about that is when we shot that three months ago, we used that Chic song, “I Want Your Love.” Then this weekend, I clicked on the Tom Ford thing and there it is! I was like, “Why didn’t you tell me you covered that?” So I would like to just stake my claim that we did it first. I joked with her and Tom is a good friend. I was like, “Did you get that idea from that?” She wouldn’t say—she just smiled.

There's more at the link, but I feel like he's better thought out this season more than the others. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Top Bottom