• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngower

Man, the (expected) drop in quality in MLS is so stark after watching the World Cup these past few weeks. A few mistakes from both teams in the Philly v New England game would be brutally punished in Brazil, but it's just standard fare for tonight's game. Love MLS, love the Revs, but daaaammnnnn is it a different game (obviously).

Nesotenso

Man, the (expected) drop in quality in MLS is so stark after watching the World Cup these past few weeks. A few mistakes from both teams in the Philly v New England game would be brutally punished in Brazil, but it's just standard fare for tonight's game. Love MLS, love the Revs, but daaaammnnnn is it a different game (obviously).

There are just not enough players in the starting XI of teams who could play at the international level and in bigger, better leagues. Will take a while to replace everyone with better talent. Emphasis on college draft should end. 22/23 year olds shouldn't be rookies but already have a year or two of professional level play under their belt. League should make it mandatory for every team to field a USLpro team.

FuturusX

Arguing with my dad today... Who do you guys think is tougher for the USMNT and why.... Argentina or Belgium?

Any team with Messi..is going to be a tough game. He can win any game on his own. Can he keep doing it game after game...no. But on his day he can be untouchable. Why would you want to play against that?

ngower

There are just not enough players in the starting XI of teams who could play at the international level and in bigger, better leagues. Will take a while to replace everyone with better talent. Emphasis on college draft should end. 22/23 year olds shouldn't be rookies but already have a year or two of professional level play under their belt. League should make it mandatory for every team to field a USLpro team.

Oh trust me, I know the reasons why, but it's just so weird to go from the best players in the world to the best players in this country. I've been a fan of the league for over a decade, but it's difficult to keep its quality in perspective sometimes.

Esch

Banned
Any team with Messi..is going to be a tough game. He can win any game on his own. Can he keep doing it game after game...no. But on his day he can be untouchable. Why would you want to play against that?

I feel you/my dad, I just get the feeling that Belgium are a more balanced, better team overall. They haven't been delivering to the standard they 'should', but I think their combination of speed, skill and roster full of talent pose more difficult questions for the US to answer overall.

Meier

Orlando City up 3-0 over LA Galaxy II now after 60 minutes. Just rampaging through USL Pro again. Next season is going to be painful for the fans who are so used to destroying everything and everyone in their path, haha.

FuturusX

I don't think the the US even understands fear at this point. They held their own against Ghana, Portugal and Germany.

Whether it be Argentina or Belgium it doesn't really matter...they'll give everything and that goes a long way.

My only concern has been controlling games a bit better with possession. I think they'll beat Belgium though - there is cohesion lacking in that team. At the very least Belgium will have to step a level to beat them.

Talon

I feel you/my dad, I just get the feeling that Belgium are a more balanced, better team overall. They haven't been delivering to the standard they 'should', but I think their combination of speed, skill and roster full of talent pose more difficult questions for the US to answer overall.
Angel di Maria would tear through the US midfield. No me gusta.

ATF487

The Revs just spent a couple of minutes outside Philadelphia's box, not being able to break through, then Philly immediately goes up the other end and scores on a quick counter. Boo.

Clydefrog

My seat for the Portugal game wasn't the greatest, but unfff that stadium. so pretty.

utvzm22.jpg

My seat for the Germany game was midfield but due to a total clusterfuck of a day, I arrived at the minute 12' of the first half after running about a mile from where I got dropped off. Once I got in, I decided to just find an empty seat wherever I entered for this pic. Then my camera died :( I think it got too wet. It's completely dead now.

I have so many freakin pictures. Will share some good ones later

oh yeah, Neuer was completely off his line for the entire game. I think they could have easily caught him. but, yeah... possession....

Judderman

drawer by drawer
NoRéN;118774370 said:
Are we keeping it classy or do we take a page from the Mexico fan handbook and celebrate their loss?

I'm not happy that Mexico lost, I'm happy that Marquez is the reason they lost. They parked the bus hard after they took the lead when they should've gone for more.

NoRéN

I'm not happy that Mexico lost, I'm happy that Marquez is the reason they lost. They parked the bus hard after they took the lead when they should've gone for more.
That surprised me. That shit don't work and they got Portugal'd.

And you are right, take that Marquez you karate kicking sumbitch!

Nesotenso

NoRéN;118774370 said:
Are we keeping it classy or do we take a page from the Mexico fan handbook and celebrate their loss?

I am always glad when Mexico loses. I just don't root for the national team in soccer. Never root for rivals in college football or basketball either.

NoRéN

. this. This is a Redbulls thing.

I have a feeling US will lose the same way.
Stop being so pessimistic. Kilnsman knows what needs fixing. As long as the US continues to attack for the entire game and Gonzalez remains solid, 2-0 baby!
Fuck being classy, I celebrate.

I am always glad when Mexico loses. I just don't root for the national team in soccer. Never root for rivals in college football or basketball either.
I can't blame you guys. Growing up in a Hispanic city, I've seen some shit. The only thing that make Mexico fans happy almost as much as a win is a USA loss.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;118779026 said:
Stop being so pessimistic. Kilnsman knows what needs fixing. As long as the US continues to attack for the entire game and Gonzalez remains solid, 2-0 baby!

I can't blame you guys. Growing up in a Hispanic city, I've seen some shit. The only thing that make Mexico fans happy almost as much as a win is a USA loss.

Honestly I wanted you guys to win, just so we could beat you 2-0 when we met up in the semis. I feel a little robbed.

NoRéN

Honestly I wanted you guys to win, just so we could beat you 2-0 when we met up in the semis. I feel a little robbed.
You guys?
Wasn't rooting for Mexico to win, rather I wanted the Netherlands to lose.

The fewer UEFA teams and the more CONCACAF teams the better.
I bet a good chunk of change that 3 concacaf teams would be in the quarter finals. But the person I bet with had 2 going through, the loser being USA. So I guess I'm off the hook.

3 European teams sent home by concacaf teams would have been excellent. 2 will be fine though.

I know they're rivals but I really like Mexico so I'm really sad.

I love the Mexican, Spanish and US teams (the reverse order is my preference) So I REALLY was going for mexico as I hate the Dutch team

Quakes - Galaxy game last night was pretty dull. It's always a fun event having a packed house at Stanford, but neither team played well and there wasn't a lot of offense. The Quakes haven't been good when everyone was available, and they're awful to watch with Wondo, Goodson, Bernardez, and Salinas missing. Donovan and Keane are still coming back to fitness and didn't look particularly good last night.

- Brian Straus: Jurgen Klinsmann's scrutinized World Cup roster getting job done in Brazil
- SI vid: USA stars Michael Bradley and Tim Howard look ahead to Tuesday's round of 16 battle with Belgium.

Heretic

My family is still pretty shocked at the defeat. They're Mexico first, USA second mainly because I'm all USA. Pretty crazy game. I want to rub it in but my dog is still in this fight and I don't want bad Karma for Tuesday's game.

woodchuck

Anyone watching World Cup tonight right now? Ballack is like "what did I do to deserve to sit next to these clowns". Lalas and twellman aren't giving him a chance to make a single comment

Nesotenso

Anyone watching World Cup tonight right now? Ballack is like "what did I do to deserve to sit next to these clowns". Lalas and twellman aren't giving him a chance to make a single comment

water break kinda pissed them off. lol

easy to understand why every game doesn't get one. Apparently Lalas doesn't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom