• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Weird move, with Fabian Johnson leaving for Gladbach you'd think Gyau might finally get to play at Hoffenheim... I'd have to imagine he'll get buried in the depth chart at Dortmund (unless loaned out again).

Gyau:
5.jpg

New BVB II: Joseph Gyau

Back defended Khaled Narey and in the offensive line of three played Joseph Gyau, in which I am unsure whether the BVB him already laid out has committed Hoffenheim. Unfortunately I forgot, Dave Wagner to ask, but'll catch up at the next opportunity.

Osorio

Also for the Metro fans out here, how did Miazga do on Friday? I didn't watch him against New England or against Toronto but it's good to see Petke have confidence in the kid.

Anybody but Armando!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Also for the Metro fans out here, how did Miazga do on Friday? I didn't watch him against New England or against Toronto but it's good to see Petke have confidence in the kid.

Anybody but Armando!

He was good, assisted in the last minute goal.

I thought he did pretty well. There was one point where he was one-on-one with Defoe and he was practically on top of him. Wherever Defoe went, Miazga followed. Also, I'm pretty sure he delivered the ball Cahill headed to BWP for the tying goal.

Oyongo was great too. Set up Peguy's goal.

xbhaskarx

Boyd.. Leipzig, Wigan or Sporting?

"It started with a shitstorm from the fans, but nothing has been decided. I haven't signed anything and haven't been to any medical checks."

"It can't be decided yet because the clubs have to be in agreement with Rapid. I don't have anything to do with that yet and can't decide yet."

"Generally I have said that I would like a transfer. I think it is definitely time to take this step. I was in Austria for 2 years, need a new challenge and want to develop my game further."

"It just has to do with the Austrian league. I simply just want to get out of here."

"Rapid will always be a part of me. I will never ever put on violet clothes again, because I fully experienced the rivalry here."

"[RB Leipzig] is an awkward/delicate topic"

"I can understand the fans. I know how Rapid thinks. I have been here 2 years, I always gave it my all against Salzburg. I have always said I would not transfer to RB Salzburg. I couldn't do that to Rapid. I also wouldn't transfer to Austria [Wien]."

"My stepfather is an electrician. If he receives an offer from a company where he would earn more money then he is not going to stay where he is just because he likes his co-workers. I'd love to see the fans who would turn down an offer and money just because it is a certain company. At the end of the day you have to take care of yourself. This has to be said."

Leipzig, Sporting and Wigan are all legitimate: "I just have to have the right feeling that I will get my chance to play. the competition has to be higher then in Austria. Then it is up to me if I can break through, fit in well and score goals."

Who cares what Rapid fans think, go to RB Leipzig...

The latest developments:

Friday, June 27: Boyd almost in Leipzig
At RB Leipzig, however, it all comes down to a commitment by Terrence Boyd. The sought-after striker from Rapid Vienna should only complete the medical check and signed no later than Monday a four-year contract in Leipzig. Since Boyd is still under contract until 2015 in Vienna, Rapid can change the unwanted cost a lot: The fee for Boyd should cost around two million euros. The 23-year-old American already completed nine caps for the team of Jürgen Klinsmann.

Saturday, June 28: Boyd confirmed change to RBL
A much sought-after striker Terrence Boyd will continue to accrue for Leipzig.
In exchange poker for Terrence Boyd now speaks for the first time the protagonist himself! Boyd told Austrian media on Saturday: "I am in agreement with Red Bull." His current club Rapid Vienna was still unable to confirm a transfer to Leipzig, the Austrians hoped to last a fate and a contract extension of the sought-after American national player. But Boyd refused, so that compressed all speculation in recent days. Especially as 1.5 million euro transfer fee of RB Leipzig stand for Boyd in the room. And Rapid Wien paid only 200,000 euros for the striker two years ago, it is now but a worthwhile business and allowed the 23-year-olds draw apparently. At least Rapid sporting director Andreas Müller had yesterday hinted that a transfer of economic reasons, is no longer excluded. In Leipzig Boyd will be presented on Monday.

Sunday, June 29: reprimand for Boyd
With his public statement per RB Leipzig Terrence Boyd has caused a renewed hardening of attitudes. The striker got it from Rapid Vienna a reprimand and had to leave this Sunday with the training camp of the Austrians. Rapid sporting director Andreas Müller (still) has not given its consent to the deal with Leipzig.

Nesotenso

The McInerney goal for anyone who hasn't seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Du5wLUIl8

A bit of a slow week for MLS but the Gilberto, Torres, and McInerney goals made up for some of the not so great games.

whoa. have to slow it down to make sense of it. I hope the move to Montreal works out for him. Getting called to the January camp was the first step. Hope he continues to grow into a confident striker. The national team and the league could always use more consistent and good attacking talent.

Osorio

If Terrence Boyd goes to Leipzig and doesn't see enough playing time he should just get a loan to his sister energy drink club.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;118852184 said:
What's the word on Altidore? Can we expect some attractive attacking style for Tuesday?

I don't think he's back to full training yet, having said that I'm not sure if there's been any new news on it. If we seem him I think he'll be a sub or he'll be subbed out early. I expect Klinsmann is going to treat Altidore the way Germany treats Klose.

NoRéN

I don't think he's back to full training yet, having said that I'm not sure if there's been any new news on it. If we seem him I think he'll be a sub or he'll be subbed out early. I expect Klinsmann is going to treat Altidore the way Germany treats Klose.

Shit, if he can come on and score the way klose does, that would be something.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;118867058 said:
Shit, if he can come on and score the way klose does, that would be something.

Jozy swapping out for one of our wingers, Bedoya or Zusi, would dramatically change our shape, from 4-2-3-1 to 4-4(diamond)-2, give us some more possesion up top and more attacking runs into the box. So even if he can't score off the bench like Klose does it would give us a better chance for someone else to score.

I expect we'll hear some new news tomorrow.

Meier

argh, i havent even put half of them on facebook yet

here are some manaus and recife pics i put on a flickr account

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28820665@N07/sets/72157645023592420/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28820665@N07/sets/72157645023512387/

this pic kills me because of sunil's face + my sunburn hurting + my dirty pit stained tshirt (and way too many brahma beers): https://flic.kr/p/nSrw87

Man, these are amazing. Will give a better look later this evening with my wife since she'll love seeing these. What an awesome experience, so jealous!

That pic with Sunil is indeed hilarious.

- Zonal Marking (Michael Cox) for ESPNFC: Prolonged possession a must for U.S.
The point isn't that the U.S. should always attempt to dominate possession. At this World Cup, there has been little correlation between possession and results, so sitting back and defending deep is a perfectly reasonable strategy.

The problem is that the Yanks aren't particularly suited to this style of play. They defend extremely narrow in midfield and force the opposition out wide but then appear nervous when defending crosses.

That was particularly obvious against Portugal -- see Geoff Cameron's mistake for Nani's opener and the fact Cristiano Ronaldo crossed for Silvestre Varela's late equaliser. Against Germany, too, there was a big problem when Jerome Boateng received the ball out wide, with Thomas Muller allowed a golden chance in this respect and Omar Gonzalez producing a Cameron-esque slice when trying to clear.

Nor, in fact, are the U.S. suited to counterattacking. The ball carriers like Graham Zusi and Alejandro Bedoya have performed competently, but no more. Michael Bradley, who has excelled at club level over the past three years with his ability to convert defence into attack smoothly, has covered a lot of ground but contributed little in possession. Up front, the absence of Jozy Altidore means the U.S. don't really have an out-ball -- no one to hold it up, no one to sprint in behind. They're just not suited to being a reactive side. They're more suited to playing high up the pitch, passing the ball well and getting the full-backs forward.

When the U.S. play football, they have been excellent. When they purely defend, they are never entirely confident. In the group phase, they allowed the opposition 55 shots -- along with Ecuador, more than any other side in the competition. It seems strange when you consider how much quality the U.S. have shown and their ability to (in spells) outplay Ghana and Portugal quite comfortably.
More via the link.

gutshot

- Zonal Marking (Michael Cox) for ESPNFC: Prolonged possession a must for U.S.More via the link.

This is a good read and gets at what has been bothering me about the US's World Cup performance so far. The US is good enough that they don't need to play a defense-first, counter-attacking style. And as the article states with no Donovan, an out-of-form Bradley and an injured Altidore, they don't even have the players for it. We brought Klinsmann in to transition to a more possession-heavy, attack-minded style and we were playing that way and getting great results up until June 16. Why the change? Was it fear of getting trounced? Was it Jozy getting injured? I don't understand.

At any rate, I hope that now that they've accomplished their goal of making it out of the Group of Death, the US will play more confident football against Belgium. They don't have to worry about goal differential or any of that, so just go out there and play for the win.

Fox318

One of the hosts on WFAN this morning was saying that he felt like there was too much play in the midfield and not enough scoring.

What does he want? Indoor soccer? Lol. We have a couple of those leagues and they do nothing for everyone.

I hate how people uninterested in the sport are constantly trying to Anericanize it. Just because you don't like the sport, doesn't mean it needs to change. The ratings show that Americans have an interest in soccer. The old guard in sports media need to understand that while it will never beat football, soccer is something that they need to pay attention to going forward.
Give people time to understand the game.

Then again alot of people didn't like how spain played because of midfield play so it may have just been his opinion.

Osorio

It's WFAN lol

They most likely started watching soccer as soon as one of the producers told him that people are actually paying attention to it.

Osorio

Watching RB Leipzig videos on youtube is strange

They seem more pro-Red Bull than the games here

You'd think it'd be the opposite considering they come from a traditional soccer culture and we're just an upstart league.

I guess they're just happy a team in Leipzig is moving up the league ladder. Meanwhile it took us 18 years to win a single trophy.

Jeffrey Carlisle said:
Klinsmann on Altidore: "We don't know much [he can play]...but he's available." #usmnt

Klinsmann said Altidore had been with the team "two, three days" but it's difficult to say how many minutes are in him. #usmnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom